• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this plagiarism? A tribute? An homage? Or did Square Enix hit a new sell-out low?

I understand the sentiment about the game being old and what not, but this isn't some low-budget, b-grade, obscure mess of a game. They chose to rip-off one of the (at this point) godfathers of the genre...

it's just a cover, i don't see what's wrong with this

It's not like it's a recording from the game. It's also not the complete song, it's a stripped down version of the melody. I'll admit I'm a layperson with regards to the law, but if you're telling me that this is illegal all I can do is scoff.

Nevermind the fact that FF7 is a Japanese game and this soap opera is seemingly from some other country entirely.

It's from FFVII Piano Collections. An official album that Squaresoft had put out.

While I don't speak the language, using the main theme from FF7 doesn't seem like it fits with anything happening on screen. I could be a biased..

It doesn't. But, then again, I don't think I'll deem anything as a worthy fit for the track outside of FFVII itself.

OmegaDL50

Wow people either didn't know, or forgot about a song from a game that came out three generations ago. Shocking.

Sorry but that is a really horrible comparison. First off all the theme from SMB is way more distinct than the theme from ff7. ( ok I guess that is something that is subjective and hard to measure) But SMB was wayyyy wayyy more popular than FF7 so more people are more likely to remember the smb theme than FF7 theme. Even if both SMB and FF7 sold to the same amount of people( which really isn't even close), the theme song from SMB is dominantly played and repeated throughout the game, and along with the replayability of the game, the smb theme is more likely to become lodged into somebody's long term memory. Factor in that the theme also is heard by people in other games with levels that are meant to be played over and over, and yeah I don't think it's a good comparison at all

Read the post I was quoting. Anton Sugar more or less made the allusion that because FF7 being 18 years old, implied that no one would recognize it's music today.

By me bringing up a 30 year old game, then wouldn't that mean an even larger amount of people wouldn't remember the music from it.

THAT is the point I was trying to make.

How old something is irrelevant. some things truly are timeless classics.

Read the post I was quoting. Anton Sugar more or less made the allusion that because FF7 being 18 years old, implied that no one would recognize it's music today.

By me bringing up a 30 year old game, then wouldn't that mean an even larger amount of people wouldn't remember the music from it.

THAT is the point I was trying to make.

How old something is irrelevant. some things truly are timeless classics.

Also, it's not like this song plays in one scene in the game and never again. It's the freaking main theme of the game, and plays whenever you're walking on the overworld/world-map.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This is actually pretty common. I even remember this track from FFVIII being used on a news channel in Jakarta when they would sum up the news headlines for the day.

Doesn't sound suitable lol...What if it was a particularly cheerful day with not-too-serious news?

THAT is the point I was trying to make
no? that's the point I was trying to make. I gave reasons why the music from smb is memorable for more people than ff7

That happened on italian television too! My mother was watching a documentary when a Chrono Trigger's music starts playing.
I don't remember wich one tough. It was some random overworld/village one that I can't find right now.
Fun fact: the documentary was produced and hired by the italian national's TV ("R.A.I") wich is serious business. Hearing CT's music on RAI amused me.

KVBecV6.png

OmegaDL50

no? that's the point I was trying to make. I gave reasons why the music from smb is memorable for more people than ff7

Your exact reason was this

the theme song from SMB is dominantly played and repeated throughout the game, and along with the replayability of the game, the smb theme is more likely to become lodged into somebody's long term memory. Factor in that the theme also is heard by people in other games with levels that are meant to be played over and over, and yeah I don't think it's a good comparison at all

You DO realize this also applies to FF7's main theme as well right? The world map the very thing players are traversing for nearly 80% of the game outside of dungeons and whatnot. This is the song that is playing. The main theme of the game. It's something you hear almost on a constant basis when not in battle.

Edit: ZombiePlatypus basically said the same thing two or so posts above.

Your exact reason was this

the theme song from SMB is dominantly played and repeated throughout the game, and along with the replayability of the game, the smb theme is more likely to become lodged into somebody's long term memory. Factor in that the theme also is heard by people in other games with levels that are meant to be played over and over, and yeah I don't think it's a good comparison at all

You DO realize this also applies to FF7's main theme as well right? The world map the very thing players are traversing for nearly 80% of the game outside of dungeons and whatnot. This is the song that is playing. The main theme of the game. It's something you hear almost on a constant basis when not in battle.

Edit: ZombiePlatypus basically said the same thing two or so posts above.
you aren't traversing the overworld for 80% of the time with that music playing, and I also gave other reasons why more people remember smb over ff7
sorry, but it's just true that more people recognize the smb theme than the ff7 theme.

OmegaDL50

you aren't traversing the overworld for 80% of the time with that music playing, and I also gave other reasons why more people remember smb over ff7
sorry, but it's just true that more people recognize the smb theme than the ff7 theme.

I'm NOT arguing about the popularity over one game compared to another, you are.

I merely made the point that if something can't be remembered that is 18 years old, then something 30 years old would be even harder to remember.

I don't care about your personal feelings or opinions on the matter, although I'll respect them. I am speaking in strictly relative terms. That is all.

Edit: If my post comes out as harsh or conflictual, that is not my intent. I am just making the point that it doesn't matter if something is 20 or 100 years old. If there is enough of a fan base for it, It will be remembered or considered iconic for many reasons. Be it music, art, whatever else.

Mario's of course way more of a household name and the average Joe would be more prone to recognize it's theme. But, VII has more than made it's mark and cemented itself as an iconic, timeless classic in gaming. To suggest that it's some obscure, unheard of little title, or that it's main theme of all things is something without any lasting legs - especially on a gaming forum of all places - is totally inaccurate.

Depending on the country, the licensing situation/rules may be very relaxed for broadcast TV. It all depends on a lot of factors.

Likely, the broadcasting company pays a fee to a licensor in their country that allows them usage of a very wide catalog of music. They do not need to clear this usage.

But, VII has more than made it's mark and cemented itself as an iconic, timeless classic in gaming. To suggest that it's some obscure, unheard of little title, or that it's main theme of all things is something without any lasting legs - especially on a gaming forum of all places - is totally inaccurate.
nobody suggested that ff7 is some obscure title but ok

Well you were essentially saying that time made it obscure. Or that it's not surprising that it's not recognized anymore cause it's old. Which would make sense if VII was some random obscure game.
uh no, i never said that time made ff7 obscure, I said it's not surprising that some people either never knew about the main theme or forgot about it after going a long time withoit hearing it. people forget pieces of videogame music all the time after awhile, ff7 theme is no exception

uh no, i never said that time made ff7 obscure, I said it's not surprising that some people either never knew about the main theme or forgot about it. people forget pieces of videogame music all the time after awhile, ff7 is no exception

Because of the game's age right? That's...basically what time does. Make things obscure. Or get buried in the noise. Stuff with more impact live on though. Come on. It's getting into semantics at this point.

This is kind of hilarious actually cause the name of the show roughly translates into Dear Friends. Which was the name of the Final Fantasy music/orchestral tour.

OmegaDL50

uh no, i never said that time made ff7 obscure, I said it's not surprising that some people either never knew about the main theme or forgot about it after going a long time withoit hearing it. people forget pieces of videogame music all the time after awhile, ff7 theme is no exception

True enough. This applies to anything I suppose.

Because of the game's age right? That's...basically what time does. Make things obscure. Or get buried in the noise. Stuff with more impact live on though. Come on. It's getting into semantics at this point..
yes exactly the song is forgotten because of the age of the song. you said that I said the game itself was obscure, not the song. Though now that I mention it, yes I do think the theme song for ff7 is pretty obscure, even among gamers. Is it obscure relative to other videogame themes? No, but it's still pretty obscure overall

I'm always really surprised at how people are so quick to call out plagiarism for cases like these. To me, this is an especially obvious case of independently coming to the same melody. The melody itself is really simple and obvious.

People just like being outraged and calling others out.

Edit: Thanks, I missed the piano collection, I was just thinking of the original track. Still think people jump to accusation when it comes to similar music though. And this is definitely not just similar.

yes exactly the song is forgotten because of the age of the song. you said that I said the game itself was obscure, not the song. Though now that I mention it, yes I do think the theme song for ff7 is pretty obscure, even among gamers. Is it obscure relative to other videogame themes? No, but it's still pretty obscure overall

Yeah, that's fair. I wouldn't expect someone walking down the street to right away recognize the song like the main theme from Mario. But in gaming circles, it's only fair to have eyebrows raised when the song's met with confusion or no recognition.

I'm always really surprised at how people are so quick to call out plagiarism for cases like these. To me, this is an especially obvious case of independently coming to the same melody. The melody itself is really simple and obvious.

I'm not outraged. Was just really surprised and amused. It's also kind of a mindfuck to hear a piece with so much legacy behind it in such a random soap. As for it being a coincidence, yeah, no way I'm gonna believe that. It sounds like a straight up, literal, rip of this specific version Square released.

As it's been mentioned, they took the exact track from the piano collection disc. I really doubt it's a random song that sounds just like it, performed just like it.

Synless

Well you were essentially saying that time made it obscure. Or that it's not surprising that it's not recognized anymore cause it's old. Which would make sense if VII was some random obscure game.
Well time didn't make it too obscure as it is continuously a number one sold ps classic.

Pandy

The only thing I know for real is that such a video is a threat to our necks :(
The beauty of browsing GAF on a WiiU.

Still took me a few seconds to realise what I was doing and stop tilting my head towards the TV, before simply rotating the gamepad. :(

On topic: Square Enix are acutely aware of the value of their musical legacy, they only released a new Final Fantasy recording with the London Symphony Orchestra a few months ago. I'd be amazed if this has been licensed.

I remember going to Warwick Castle in the UK and during the catapult presentation they used music from one of the Metal Gear Solid games. It caught me off guard for a second.

While I suspect it was just ripped off (or, ha ha, riffed off):

I'm not quite clear what's so reprehensible about licensing your music.

From a cash-in standpoint, I guess nothing. But, these songs are a huge, and massive part of what make the beloved entries in Final Fantasy special. They were tailored to convey specific emotions and vibes in specific scenes and portions of their respective games. For long-time fans, they bring back particular experiences from their games whenever most players listen to them. And for new players, giving the green light for any show/commercial/project to use and milk them to death would completely take away from the emotional impact they're supposed to have.

Also, dear god I'm dying at your pun. But, I'm basic and can't resist a good pun.

Liethe

This thread is quite amusing. Especially considering FFVII is the one most often accused of being "too overhyped" in the series.

Pretty sure one of Malaysia's news channels uses FF7 battle music to tell news. I think they still do.

...also, this can't be real! It sounds amazing.

mclem

From a cash-in standpoint, I guess nothing. But, these songs are a huge, and massive part of what make the beloved entries in Final Fantasy special. They were tailored to convey specific emotions and vibes in specific scenes and portions of their respective games. For long-time fans, they bring back particular experiences from their games whenever most players listen to them. And for new players, giving the green light for any show/commercial/project to use and milk them to death would completely take away from the emotional impact they're supposed to have.

You can certainly get a lasting mental image from a main theme; one classic example is the US Monday Night Football theme, which was used here in the UK for a very different (but sports-based) show, Superstars, and was used in Saints Row for some of the Professor Genki events to parody the MNF usage, yes.

But that's a high-profile main theme. I don't really get that from incidental music.

And even if I *did*, the emotional impact is still a similar emotional impact. There's a reason the MNF theme is always for sportsy gladiatorial content, for instance. It works in all three instances.

There's other things I can take from other situations. There's a song in Little Big Planet, Left Bank Two. It probably means nothing to most of the audience here. But if you're British, and of a certain age, that's The Gallery theme from Vision On. An art programme. Same aesthetic.

PSqueak

Banned
In my hometown the local news channel used bits from the Rival Schools PSX port opening theme in their sports bumper, one of my teachers worked in that station, when i pointed out that and asked where he got that music from to use on tv he said the station bought the rights in a package with stock audio stuff, im guessing whoever sold them that pack was doing so illegally. Or he lied.

Top Bottom