• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Majestad
Banned
(05-03-2015, 06:29 PM)
The game finally comes out at the end of the month. Previews have praised the game, and it seems to already have a nice little fan-base.

Splatoon seems to be a competitive shooter, which is something Nintendo is practically new to. It seems to be a game with AAA written over it (great production values from one of the top developers, plus the gameplay seems to be great.) Will that make Splatoon the next big Nintendo I.P.?

Nobody is asking if the game will "save the WiiU", but how big do we expect it to be? Million seller like Mario Kart? Niche game? Cult-hit?
BkzUzi
(05-03-2015, 06:30 PM)
Sell as well as Pikmin 3. I don't think it'll be anywhere close to Mario Kart/Smash or sell as bad as W101.
Kathian
Banned
It relies on taking off as a local and online multiplayer game with kids.
I think it could do well though.
LegalEagleMike
I am expecting slightly better sales than wonderful 101. So no, not a major new IP.
Mellahan
Concerned about dinosaur erection.
(05-03-2015, 06:31 PM)
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about it. From the looks of it, it has everything it needs to be. Marketing will have to drive it; fans will have to follow suit with fan-art, cosplay, covers, etc.
Fiercedeity
Banned
It'll bomb.
gngf123
I hope so.

I do not expect anything.

Originally Posted by MJFJD

I am expecting slightly better sales than wonderful 101. So no, not a major new IP.

Except for this. I expect it to do much better than W101. At least Nintendo are actually advertising Splatoon.
Corpekata
Banned
(05-03-2015, 06:32 PM)
Guessing Pikmin / Kirby levels. Popular enough to stick around but not a major force.
jaxom
(05-03-2015, 06:33 PM)
Love Nintendo and Splatoon, but if it hits 1M WW it would already be a miracle. :(
Wynnebeck
Banned

Originally Posted by Fiercedeity

It'll bomb.

I won't say bomb, but anyone expecting it to be the next best thing is in for a hard landing.
Roo
lol no
It'll do ok but nothing impressive
Infernostew
(05-03-2015, 06:34 PM)
It doesn't have Mario in it so I don't expect it to do very well.
jett
D-Member
It's on Wii U.

So no.
Nightengale
Nah.

At best, it'll join the ranks of the mid-tier NIntendo IPs.
Subaru
I don't expect, but I hope it will be =/
catfish
I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
it looks awesome, but if the ahooting mechanics dont feel awesome i vote bomb. hopefully theyve got whover was in charge of mariokart online near this thing as well.

i expect it will lack a lot of the good features that generate a dedicated online fanbase though.

cant wait to play it personally
Sendou
I think it has potential. It won't magically become another Mario Kart or anything like that but it's exactly the kind of game that with the right marketing can become a surprise hit. With EAD in helm it certainly isn't going to bomb from the lack of quality.
Who
Banned
I honestly expect it to flop...

I hope that in wrong though
Fireblend
No Member
(05-03-2015, 06:35 PM)
Yeah, it's unfortunate but I don't think it has a chance at being a "big" thing. New IPs are sent to die these days.
Beelzebufo
Banned

It'll bomb.

A little harsh, but yeah that's what I'm expecting. I'm not planning on picking it up (at least not anytime soon), and I bought a Wii U for Pikmin 3 in the first place.
Brofield
I'd love it to be a new hit, but if this does make it to franchise territory, I wouldn't expect it to hit it's stride until the sequel, and lord knows that'll be a long time away.
Chobel
I shouldn't make bets because every time I do my tag gets worse
You mean the next major Nintendo bomba?
ffdgh
Can't say I do but I'd be glad to be proven wrong.
Servbot24
Uncharted 4 is years ahead of its time when it comes to storytelling in the way it communicates a feeling of unease through bad pacing
(05-03-2015, 06:36 PM)
Of course not. I'll be amazed if it reaches 1 million.
Toxi
I mean, did you expect Codename S.T.E.A.M. to be the next big Nintendo IP? The Wonderful 101?
MrPanic
Just as major as Metroid and F-Zero is right now. #salty
Danielsan
I'm expecting Wonderful 101 levels of bomb.
Rodin

Originally Posted by jaxom

Love Nintendo and Splatoon, but if it hits 1M WW it would already be a miracle. :(

Which is not extremely good, but not half bad either considering a 10 million userbase (or a bit less).

I don't think it will bomb, but it probably won't be earth-shattering either. It will sell good for a new ip on a struggling console.
Sephiroth_GR_
(05-03-2015, 06:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Chobel

What was the previous major?
TheMoon
Quest Reward:
Eye of Webster

Originally Posted by MJFJD

The amount of marketing ensure they have already done ensures this will do A LOT better. They're putting a lot of weight behind this game.

Originally Posted by Danielsan

I'm expecting Wonderful 101 levels of bomb.

This is completely unrealistic and based on nothing sensible though.
kamspy
Make it free and Splatoon 2 might have a chance.
Sir TapTap
(05-03-2015, 06:38 PM)
It'll push decent-for-wii-u numbers, they're marketing it pretty well but I don't see it having half the appeal of anything with Mario or Bros in the name. An online multiplayer focused game is an interesting problem for them, they'll need to push it fairly hard and try for long legs if they really want the IP to live. I know there's single player content but it seems clear that multi is the primary focus.
Sendou

Last "bigger" Nintendo IP was relatively succesful. I didn't see many people on this forum claiming Tomodachi Life had a chance in hell of doing what it did (1.25 million in west and counting).
Wynnebeck
Banned

Originally Posted by Sephiroth_GR_

Bayonetta 2 I believe?
Broken Joystick
At least you can talk. Who are you?
It won't bomb but I don't think it'll do anything spectacular, people are betting on marketing making this game the next big Nintendo I.P, but that's unrealistic imo.
sfried
It will be a slow-burn IP like Pikmin. When first introduce it deosn't make much of a splash, but later on would start to get people's attention.
Neoxon

Originally Posted by Toxi

I mean, did you expect Codename S.T.E.A.M. to be the next big Nintendo IP? The Wonderful 101?

Nintendo's pushing Splatoon more than both of those games combined.

By Wii U standards, it'll probably be a mid-tier success. Just enough to justify a sequel on the next console to where Nintendo can push Splatoon even harder.
fluffydelusions

Originally Posted by jett

It's on Wii U.

So no.

It'll bomb.

loaf of bread

Probably Bayonetta 2 I guess.
Chezzymann
(05-03-2015, 06:39 PM)
I expect it to sell around the same as the wonderful 101. At very, very best pikmin 3. And that's me being optimistic. So no I don't think it will.
Devilgunman
(05-03-2015, 06:39 PM)
It will be as major ip as Chibi Robo.
Kriken
(05-03-2015, 06:40 PM)
Pikmin is about my expectations
giancarlo123x

It'll bomb.

How I personally feel about it, seems not to interesting to me. But if it does well then that's great.
Nintendojitsu
Banned
Who is this "we" in the the OP? It was my understanding that NeoGAF is not a hive mind.

I myself do see it becoming as big as Nintendo wants it to be. Also, the contradictory posts in the thread thus far are hilarious.
Beelzebufo
Banned

The Wii U? :p

Originally Posted by MrPanic

Just as major as Metroid and F-Zero is right now. #salty

Hey, even Metroid got a new Smash stage

Originally Posted by Nintendojitsu

Who is this "we" in the the OP? It was my understanding that NeoGAF is not a hive mind.

I myself do see it becoming as big as Nintendo wants it to be. Also, the contradictory posts in the thread thus far are hilarious.

You're wrong, it is a hive mind. Even the idea to ask if it was a hive mind was thought up by the rest of us. The posts on here are only contradictory because we decided to show multiple viewpoints.
Sterok
(05-03-2015, 06:41 PM)
It'll do fineish. Between Bayo 2 and Pikmin 3 in sales probably. Assuming critical reception is good (mid-80s), they'll almost certainly make a sequel and try to grow it on the next console.
bobawesome
I really doubt it. At least if it stays on the Wii U. Nintendo will probably refocus their efforts and release later games on the 3DS and other handhelds.
sörine
Banned
It's going to outsell all Nintendo's non-Mario/Kart/Smash/Zelda games on Wii U. Not a commercial bomb at all, that's going to be XCX.
theprodigy

Originally Posted by Sendou

Last "bigger" Nintendo IP was relatively succesful. I didn't see many people on this forum claiming Tomodachi Life had a chance in hell of doing what it did (1.25 million in west and counting).

3DS is way more conducive to this (Tomodachi, Animal Crossing?, Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, Bravely Default)

Wii U is not, the closest things are Mario/Zelda spinoffs (Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad)
-Pyromaniac-
(05-03-2015, 06:42 PM)
I'll be legit surprised if this game doesn't bomb. I guess we'd have to discuss what constitutes a bomb though considering the low user base. I should be clear though that the base isn't the reason I think it will bomb. I just don't think the game has a lot of appeal.

But yeah what is considered a bomb in sales for the wii u in terms of numbers.