• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Welp, just signed up for Toryuken.

I guess it's a way to waste a weekend. That and I can still just sit around at home doing nothing on a monday. Having some downtime on monday really helped seal this deal.

What have I missed? I like how Beer tours are the cosmic opposite of Wine tasting but only an hour apart from each other. Next is to go to Hanger1 in Alemeda to taste the booze there.

Count playing Hearthstone now? I just don't understand the appeal of card based video games.

Played a bunch of MK at the office and really enjoy the cheesy story and kinda understanding the combat. Why didn't anyone tell me there were ground bounce combos? Feels like someone put Marvel in a MK game. Also, projectiles don't trade. WTF.

What have I missed? I like how Beer tours are the cosmic opposite of Wine tasting but only an hour apart from each other. Next is to go to Hanger1 in Alemeda to taste the booze there.

Count playing Hearthstone now? I just don't understand the appeal of card based video games.

Played a bunch of MK at the office and really enjoy the cheesy story and kinda understanding the combat. Why didn't anyone tell me there were ground bounce combos? Feels like someone put Marvel in a MK game. Also, projectiles don't trade. WTF.
MK9 had ground bounce combos...

Because I'm a glutton for punishment and because a new Marvel game on mobile and new Marvel film came out; it's that time again...

Do1Jyen.jpg

I'd mostly just like them to bring back some old characters. Cable, Iceman, Cyclops etc

MK9 had ground bounce combos...

Oh. I didn't know. I didn't play too much of that game. I think having it on the new console and my friends actually into it makes me feel like its worth getting. I am looking forwards to Tekkan since apparently the sound engineers and a programmer are TekkanHeads.

But you played magic? It's the same thing except there are no major physical restrictions on designing and creating a deck.
I never played magic. I used my money for videogames and computer parts.

...and projectiles didn't trade either, nor did they in Injustice. It's Netherrealm's (inferior, IMO) way.

I remember seeing that in injustice but didn't know it was a NR thing. Not sure how I feel about that but I figure there must be a reason.

Stunfest already has 344 players confirmed for Ultra.

Dark Jiewa, Kurenai (unknown player from China)
Daigo, Mago, Tokido, Momochi, Kazunoko, Bonchan, Eita, RF, Bas, Santarou, Ebi
Poongko, Infiltration
Gamerbee
Xian

+All the the top European players obviously.

Horseress

Stunfest already has 344 players confirmed for Ultra.

Dark Jiewa
Daigo, Mago, Tokido, Momochi, Kazunoko, Bonchan, Eita, RF, Bas, Santarou, Ebi
Poongko, Infiltration
Gamerbee
Xian

+All the Europeans

DAMN! Hella stacked. That's where the Louffy/ Santarou MM is happening right?

Oh. I didn't know. I didn't play too much of that game. I think having it on the new console and my friends actually into it makes me feel like its worth getting. I am looking forwards to Tekkan since apparently the sound engineers and a programmer are TekkanHeads.

I never played magic. I used my money for videogames and computer parts.

I remember seeing that in injustice but didn't know it was a NR thing. Not sure how I feel about that but I figure there must be a reason.

"Tekkan",

They put a revive mechanic into MKX oh god

"Turns meter at the time of death into life"

Well that sounds annoying, but considering that almost one bar of meter didn't allow him to survive just one kick after revival it doesn't seem like it'll be that bad.

alstein

The good ones are like fighting games without having to worry about execution.

I'm really waiting hard on Faeria to hit Stream- that one was really, really good. Hearthstone did nothing for me- too much PTW.

Onemic

I wonder how no select plinking in the next 3 weeks will affect players like Tokido, Sako and others that rely heavily on it to get consistent execution.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A little late but it's here! Someone get the GAF signal out to Saty and ask him if he'll do it or else I'm just gonna throw it to Intelliheath or a vote.

- - -

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iBBA7vjAG4kUv.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at super dragonballjoseph!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Under Night in Birth. One of the most fun fighters to come out in recent years. The mechanics and battle system is great. The only thing really holding this game back for me is the tiers. The top tier are pretty crazy in that game. I mash my face against my stick to play Ultra from time to time still.

My favorite fighting games are Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Soul Calibur 2/V. I just really enjoyed the mechanics in those games. I'd play long sessions of TvC with a friend of mine back in college. I played Tekkaman Blade/Chun. In SCII, I played Talim, and in SCV I played Viola.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I like GRID from Under Night. It's a system that essentially makes you earn the ability to cancel specials and stuff. So it adds another dynamic to the game. Least favorite feature is being able to FADC out of blocked specials in SF4. It just promotes dumb play.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I didn't really "get into" fighting games until SF4. The only reason I got SF4 was because I wanted some achievements, and the game was on sale for 20 bucks, so I picked it up. As far as other games I play, I mostly do platformers (I speedrun a couple), JRPGs, and play bad card games (Hearthstone).
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Lili from Tekken. I just think she's a cutie pie.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I'm a very calculated player. By that, I mean I am able to understand someone playstyle relatively quickly. This helps me decide when I want to hold up forward on my opponent.
I'm in a Ph.D program now, so I don't really go out much to play (and not many people around me), so I play online.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
My biggest strength is that I don't let my opponent train me. My biggest weakness is that I don't care if I win, I just want to make my opponent fall asleep while I do infinites on them.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best moment was when I got top 8 at a major because people didn't know how to anti air. No worst moments since I've never been a competitive player.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Better online. That's about it. Also a sequel to UNIEL would be nice.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Satyamdas

MechaX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162662065]
nLzZnKN.gif
[/QUOTE]

This game will never not be funny to me due to how ridiculous the game is, and yet magnificently it manages to balance out simply because every character is on some 100% bullshit 100% of the time.

That, and Toki is the best Hokuto Shinken user ever.

hnk is such a weird game. I tried playing it and for an anime game, it seems very sluggish and everybody's got weird animations. boost is pretty cool though. It was pretty much I have no idea what Im doing gif moment.

I tried playing toki I think or whoever is the bird dude and was like he's dumb. Then I played the chick and she seemed good with the crossbow and shit. The hd graphics were also kinda weird to look at

This game will never not be funny to me due to how ridiculous the game is, and yet magnificently it manages to balance out simply because every character is on some 100% bullshit 100% of the time.

That, and Toki is the best Hokuto Shinken user ever.

The game has more strategic depth than any other fighting game. You can do lightning-speed high/low mixups into 75% damage combos into lightning-speed high/low mixups, you can do sick reads into one-hit-kill supers, or you can do lightning-speed high/low mixups into combos that last so long they literally time out the clock.

And that's why Hokuto no Ken is a better game than Guilty Gear Xrd.

pixelish

valle just made an announcement of an announcement regarding scr.
Alex Valle ‏@AlexValleSF4 2m
Huge SCR update coming up soon. Please standby everyone!
#SCR2015

it will be online

Anne

It actually doesn't though. In Japanese format sometimes that happens, but the game is one of the few games I can legitimately say 9-1 and 8-2 MUs are a thing, and if you're playing Heart you are gonna start throwing stools at people to sit on 2P side so you can even play the game.

HnK da best though. Fun fact, executing and just playing that game outright is actually incredibly difficult. That's the game you laugh at, then you try to play and realize you're a terrible player. Then you pick Rei.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162668608]The game has more strategic depth than any other fighting game. You can do lightning-speed high/low mixups into 75% damage combos into lightning-speed high/low mixups, you can do sick reads into one-hit-kill supers, or you can do lightning-speed high/low mixups into combos that last so long they literally time out the clock.

And that's why Hokuto no Ken is a better game than Guilty Gear Xrd.[/QUOTE]

This is why no one takes you seriously

No card games, no comics, no anime. You hate a lot of awesome things!

I (kinda) like videogames! I just didn't have time/money when I was younger so I missed out a lot of entertainment/media stuff especially in my teen years. Wife says I have an arrested development or skipped a decade in terms of pop culture entertainment.

A little late but it's here! Someone get the GAF signal out to Saty and ask him if he'll do it or else I'm just gonna throw it to Intelliheath or a vote.

- - -

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iBBA7vjAG4kUv.jpg

Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Satyamdas

Oh man that would be great.

Top Bottom