• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Galaxy now open to everyone

Jomjom

Banned
Great! Hope they will put a good competition against Steam for PC games distribution as i don't like Valve methods, so just like consoles with competition gamers can choose best one instead of monopoly dominance which can sometimes make stupid things to make money.

Hopefully GoG competition makes Valve fix their non-existent customer service. GoG customer service is amazing, quick, and helpful.

More quality competition in this space is a good thing, even if I still get most of my games through Steam when possible.

Will probably get the Witcher 3 on this platform, since it's coming direct from the source.

CTLance

GoG Galaxy isn't finding all my GoG games. Hmmmm.
In your library, or on your HDD? Because the former is something to bother the bug tracker about, while tha latter is just a matter of how old the installation is. Only more recent gog installers do the secret galaxy handshake, all other games installed prior to that installer update need to be added manually.

sneaky - their NVidia deals mean that card buyers will get Witcher 3 which must be unlocked at gog

Witcher 3 is the equivalent to Steam's Half Life 2

Valnen

You know one way I think think client could be improved? Letting people download and install popular mods for some of the older games with one click, like Steam Workshop. Like the widescreen mod for the infinity engine games.

That and cloud saves. I see no mention of that anywhere in the client either.

Does anyone actually have the beta client yet? I don't think my alpha has auto-updated yet. Sitting on version 0.7.0.860. Anyone know what version number the beta is?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AvP that I installed to try the multiplayer beta a while ago's dead. Guess they are still working on the cross-play and it being "open beta" right now.

M3d10n

Since Steam officially launched in Brazil the likes of GOG and GMG became irrelevant for me. Never paying for PC games in USD ever again. Their fair pricing can suck my dick. I'm not paid in USD.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Now in Open Beta!

Maybe

Register for Open Beta today and maybe you'll get it eventually

Been playing PC games for years but never really paid attention to GOG. Just signed up (waiting for the invite) and I'm browsing though the games. Looks like a good library, seems like they cover a lot of bases. They list 1045 games.

Are there any noteworthy series missing from GOG?

Been playing PC games for years but never really paid attention to GOG. Just signed up (waiting for the invite) and I'm browsing though the games. Looks like a good library, seems like they cover a lot of bases. They list 1045 games.

Are there any noteworthy series missing from GOG?

A number, but they're constantly adding great titles. A recent big coup was getting the LucasArts library. They're still missing a lot of the classic SSI games, for instance. I'd like to see them branch into earlier computer emulation like the Amiga, C=64, and the like, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

A number, but they're constantly adding great titles. A recent big coup was getting the LucasArts library. They're still missing a lot of the classic SSI games, for instance. I'd like to see them branch into earlier computer emulation like the Amiga, C=64, and the like, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

The prices are already within my budget, but do they do the crazy steam style sales? I can see my backlog exploding.

JC Lately

Cool, will check it out this weekend. Only ever bough the Dungeon Keeper games from GoG before (because fuck yeah, Dungeon Keeper). Might be time to branch out. While I never had a problem per se with Steam DRM, something that offers equal or greater service with no DRM is clearly the superior option to me.

The prices are already within my budget, but do they do the crazy steam style sales? I can see my backlog exploding.

Yeah, they have some great sales, and fairly regular unlike Steam's. Often they'll offer an entire bundle like Sierra point-and-clicks for 75% off, that sort of thing.

GOG has sales frequently but the caveat is that usually it's in a bundle and to get the full 75% off, you have to buy the full bundle. They do sell the titles piece meal but obviously the discount is less.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
GoG Galaxy isn't finding all my GoG games. Hmmmm.

I've had the same issue in the alpha build... and in the case of Ys I and II, it refuses to load the icon for the game in the sidebar. Well, I'm sure they'll get it worked out sonner rather than later.

Excellent. I hope the service works & does well, because I'd love a solid Steam client alternative. And some of the more oft-updated GOG games are becoming a bummer, so Steam-style updates will be a godsend.

In GOG I trust... though I'll probably wait a bit so they can iron out any horrible bugs that arise.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
is the download link missing? i got the email. but it took me to the galaxy page

is the download link missing? i got the email. but it took me to the galaxy page

YBYfD5F.png

"very soon" could mean anything

Gattsu25

Banned
Downloaded the beta.

Will put it to some use tomorrow. As it was, downloaded something like 40GB worth of games after picking up the newer LucasArts offerings and redownloading some games that I want to play soon (like the Witcher 2).

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
This will be good. Steam has gotten too complacent and has had a monopoly for so long. They need competition.

Can somebody in the beta explain how the multiplayer works? I guess what I mean is, will it allow me to bypass IP input on older games and jump right into sessions?

I want to play some Dark Forces 2 online and its a pain in the ass to play online with the steam version

My library still has the Alpha and I haven't got an email in reply to the Beta thing I put in this morning (about ~4 hours ago). Maybe its a staged rollout ?

Exentryk

This looks good. I liked having a client to manage all the game updates, but didn't like Steam DRM. So this will be perfect.

Is this going to have something like big picture mode?

Tybolt

Banned
IS there a way to manually add older downloads to the client? All I'm seeing is a folder scan which only picks up the ones from the newer installer.

Ibuki

Banned
I signed up right when it was announced. I just received an e-mail, saying it was now available. When I click the link in the e-mail it doesn't even lead me to a webpage or anything. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Top Bottom