• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR keeping Witcher 3 keys for Origin, uPlay and GOG; tell GMG to go pound sand

dex3108

I think that we will need to wait for answer because they should be done for today. I guess that they will write response tomorrow as soon as they start working again.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
So the writer didn't even bother to get some info from GMG before posting this article? Is journalism really bad in this industry?

chronomac

This is the same writer that borrowed Jason Schreier's article about the Crytek/Amazon partnership.

EDIT: Removed the picture and link.

Now that I think of it, has there been any previous reports of GMG getting unsourced keys? This is the first time I can recall it happening with them, or at least them being called out on it.
This is the same writer that borrowed Jason Schreier's article about the Crytek/Amazon partnership.

Q7jG7tC.png

The Gamespot dude's capabilities as a writer is completely irrelevant to CD Projekt's statement regarding GMG copies of the Witcher 3.

GMG will probably catch wind of this and reply at some point... though I think no response would be a great deal more telling.

dex3108

Now that I think of it, has there been any previous reports of GMG getting unsourced keys? This is the first time I can recall it happening with them, or at least them being called out on it.

Yes this is first time. They are confirmed as official Digital Distributor by many Devs/Publishers like Devolver Digital, Rebellion, Ubisoft...

golem

GMG is a pretty popular digital retailer. To suggest they materialized thousands of keys out of thin air or somehow acquired them from retail or nvidias promotions seems a little unrealistic

The Gamespot dude's capabilities as a writer is completely irrelevant to CD Projekt's statement regarding GMG copies of the Witcher 3.

GMG will probably catch wind of this and reply at some point... though I think no response would be a great deal more telling.

The fact that the Gamespot writer didn't state that he reached out to GMG is already a problem.

Corpekata

Banned
Easiest way to find evident for those keys: CDPR buy a cooy from GMG, they check the provenience batch, they contact the owner of that key questioning him about. This should be easy.

Most sites aren't giving out keys 2 weeks in advance. They release them in the few days before it.

shandy706

On the other side of the fence. GMG should sue if they're getting keys legit. This seems like something I wouldn't bring to light until I know the answer.

I've never had any problem with them.

GMG is a pretty popular digital retailer. To suggest they materialized thousands of keys out of thin air or somehow acquired them from retail or nvidias promotions seems a little unrealistic

I don't understand why everyone doubt CD Projekt - the developer and generator of keys - and their ability to tell which keys went where. If they sent no keys to GMG, then clearly GMG is sourcing them from some other, legitimate, source, which means that CD Projekt is seeing no revenue at all from GMG's stock. It would mean that GMG is either using regional resellers, or selling stolen goods. (Probably the former)

Phased

Easiest way to find evident for those keys: CDPR buy a cooy from GMG, they check the provenience batch, they contact the owner of that key questioning him about. This should be easy.

That's the first thing that came to my mind. CDPR got paid for these keys somewhere, just track who they sold them to and this is a non-issue. I'm not sure what good this does anybody besides maybe drive more sales towards gog.com where they probably don't take a cut from themselves or Steam where it's more expensive even if you own 1 and 2.

Krakn3Dfx

It's pretty likely GMG doesn't have any keys at this point, they generally play a waiting game with publishers to get the keys they sell, which has been a sticking point with impatient GMG customers off and on for years. There have been several times publishers like Ubisoft and Bethesda have waited until the 11th hour to send them their key batches.

finley83

Banned
Yeah, GOG have always had a problem with professionalism. I remember their fake shutdown a few years back really pissing off a lot of people (myself included).

No accusations should be made until it's confirmed whether any foul play is going on.

I don't understand why everyone doubt CD Projekt - the developer and generator of keys - and their ability to tell which keys went where. If they sent no keys to GMG, then clearly GMG is sourcing them from some legitimate source, which means that CD Projekt is seeing no revenue at all from GMG's stock. It would mean that GMG is either using regional resellers, or selling stolen goods. (Probably the former)

I don't think anyone is doubting CD Projekt. The insinuation that GMG is conducting shady business practices without enough relevant information is a problem.

There has been zero attempt presented so far from Gamespot to show that they tried to make contact with GMG.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't understand why everyone doubt CD Projekt - the developer and generator of keys - and their ability to tell which keys went where. If they sent no keys to GMG, then clearly GMG is sourcing them from some legitimate source, which means that CD Projekt is seeing no revenue at all from GMG's stock. It would mean that GMG is either using regional resellers, or selling stolen goods. (Probably the former)

They wouldn't send keys to sites like GMG in the first place since they are not self publishing there. The publisher would, in this case Namco, just like Gamestop would get them from Warner Bros.

chronomac

I posted it because it seems like the writer didn't try and contact GMG for a comment. There end of this is still missing.

But I went ahead and removed the picture and link because it seems low in retrospect.

wrowa

Weird. I can't imagine that CD Projekt would issue a warning like this before contacting a publishing partner like Namco in order to find out whether or not they issued the keys in question. Affer all, the warning implies a pretty serious accusation that might hurt GMG's reputation and business. If it's indeed a case of Namco issuing case even though they aren't allowed to, then GMG wouldn't even have done anything wrong...

dex3108

But GMG doesn't have keys as far as i know. Digital Retailers are getting keys few day before release and those keys are issued by developer/publisher. Maybe GMG haven't payed CDPR yet?

pahamrick

Yeah, GOG have always had a problem with professionalism. I remember their fake shutdown a few years back really pissing off a lot of people (myself included).

No accusations should be made until it's confirmed whether any foul play is going on.

GOG doesn't have the best customer service either, at least in my experience. They're right up there with Valve as far as that goes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's pretty likely GMG doesn't have any keys at this point, they generally play a waiting game with publishers to get the keys they sell, which has been a sticking point with impatient GMG customers off and on for years. There have been several times publishers like Ubisoft and Bethesda have waited until the 11th hour to send them their key batches.

This is an explanation that makes a lot of sense. Still shitty practice if GMG puts up pre-orders for games that they don't have keys for yet, however. Waiting a week extra sucks. But at least they're not stealing keys if that's the situation. Still, it's good that someone with actual pull calls them out on it

Why would GOG sell potentially stolen keys from their parent company? :lol. It's Greenman Gaming, not Good Old Games.

Is Namco even involved in the PC version? I'd figure CDPR would be able to self-publish on the PC and that Namco would only be needed for console versions.

erawsd

They wouldn't send keys to sites like GMG in the first place since they are not self publishing there. The publisher would, in this case Namco, just like Gamestop would get them from Warner Bros.

Yeah but it sounds like CDPR is self publishing the game digitally. Namco and WB are only involved in retail distribution.

Krakn3Dfx

This is an explanation that makes a lot of sense. Still shitty practice if GMG puts up pre-orders for games that they don't have keys for yet, however. Waiting a week extra sucks. But at least they're not stealing keys if that's the situation. Still, it's good that someone with actual pull calls them out on it.

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say every digital distributor sells pre-orders without keys in hand, I doubt Valve has any keys for Just Cause 3, but they're still selling pre-orders, same with Amazon or any other site that sells digital keys, legit or not. That's usually something that's held until very close to launch.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah but it sounds like CDPR is self publishing the game digitally. Namco and WB are only involved in retail distribution.

That's not correct. Gamestop is selling digital PC versions of the Witcher 3 currently with Warner Bros as the publisher. It's only self published on Steam and GOG.

Namco might not have the rights to do so, but either way the basis of what the poster said was incorrect because GMG is not presenting the game as being published by CD Projekt, so GMG at the very least would be dealing with Namco, not CD Projekt about any Witcher keys.

Durante

It would mean that GMG is either using regional resellers, or selling stolen goods. (Probably the former)
I still insist that there is nothing wrong with that. Companies want to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to globalization and free trade. Luckily it seems like the EU commission agrees with me on that one (for once).

finley83

Banned
Why would GOG sell potentially stolen keys from their parent company? :lol. It's Greenman Gaming, not Good Old Games.

I'm calling GOG unprofessional for telling their forumites not to purchase from GMG due to perceived shadiness around the keys, and for publically commenting before the facts are clear.

Also wow, this update shouldn't have gone up so early at all. Poor form on Gamespot's part if you ask me since GMG is known to be a reliable site.

Glass

If you own Witcher 1 & 2 on Steam you can pre-order 3 now for £34.99, GMG's £32.49 deal is good but it doesn't seem so low it must be shady-good.

Top Bottom