• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR keeping Witcher 3 keys for Origin, uPlay and GOG; tell GMG to go pound sand

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I wouldn't really classify that as evidence of wrongdoing. All three refer to the same situation and as per the Playfire forum link in particular, there was some issue that resulted in GMG's first batch of keys having an incorrect character, plus affected users were given replacements (albeit slowly).

Squishy3

They had some good sales for a while, but Ed Boon never really spoke out about GMG's $45 MKX. I assumed they were always legit. Twice is nothing compared to how well they do business, but once is just enough for a bad reputation/or banning.

I bought from GOG and PSN. I also got to wonder what's going on here. GMG is GS's competition in terms of PC distribution by the nth degree. I wonder if CDPR can't discuss this with GMG or GMG doesn't put an end to their practices. If I were GMG i'd be wanting to hit this launch just like they have before. Whose to say GMG is in the wrong or whose to say GMG is getting their reputation put on the line. I say that because they've been a legit service outside of Steam for amazing deals.

I'll say this too, when a Triple A game becomes a disaster and they saved you $15-$20 from being completely ripped off. GS had to change their ways. They know a game can come out and be completely horrible. I'm excited for The Witcher and I got the Expansion Pass off of PSN.

I'm shocked this has happened or it is even brought up. GMG has always been a legit outlet.

GOG has amazing compatibility to their games. They work great, but I had a horrible time with W2 GOG copy on Vista. I had to use Steam.
Most GMG staff that would be equipped to answer this question are most likely off work right now, as it's nearly 9:00 PM there.

npa189

Any word from GMG? I've used them quite a bit since they sell keys for ridiculously cheap around launches. I've always wondered how they could do it, maybe now we know why.

Krakn3Dfx

These are all in reference to COD Ghosts, reading the posts it doesn't sound like an issue with selling fake/stolen keys, it sounds like Activision didn't provide them with enough keys and possibly some keys that were invalid. I've seen that happen on Steam as well a couple of times (Cities Skylines and GTA5 being the latest, but also happened with Far Cry 3 when it came out).

Holy shit! This is completely off-topic but their day/month/year of their age verification can go into negative numbers if you press down/mousewheel down from their defaults. I've never seen that before.

Haha. I noticed that too. I entered a birthdate of -1/-1/-2 and went right through.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Most GMG staff that would be equipped to answer this question are most likely off work right now, as it's nearly 9:00 PM there.

Of course, but man CDPR saying this is baffling. I'm anxious to see what GMG says. I've used GMG for years. They always provided me a good service, same with GOG. I've always trusted them. CD outlets rip off the industry, so I have GMG up there with any reputable outlet.

My CC info was stolen from Gameholds.com

I thought they were legit at first. I had two $59.99 charges from ZeniMax and a international MineCraft edition purchased with my CC. It all happened once I used their website. GMG has always had an easy, safe, and reliable service. They seemed like they worked with Steam and Origin. I trust GOG because GOG is GOG.

It's going to be midnight in the UK in a couple hours.

I'm going to guess that
  • GMG bought their keys from Bamco/WB
  • CDPR was sure they didn't allow Bamco/WB to hurt-sell keys
  • Bamco/WB was sure CDPR allowed them to hurt-sell keys
  • Optionally: the agreement between Bamco/WB and CDPR does not even directly address hurt-selling keys, complicating matters

Of course a few other scenarios are possible, but I think CDPR is jumping the gun.

GMG team, please address this as soon as possible (i.e.: tomorrow) until I get to believe CDPR. Already got a W3 key at GOG, but if you don't address this, then I'm probably going to deliberately ignore you for a while when it comes to other deals.

Does GMG actually need keys on hand before offering pre-orders? I've pre-ordered games from them before and received the key a day or two before release. I figured that's whats happening here, maybe they're just selling pre-orders for keys they don't have yet. They're usually pretty good.

End of the day, GameSpot published this during UK office hours. They should have been able to have the chance to respond earlier. But GMG's competitors work around the clock maybe they should have someone keeping an eye out.

thebloo

I'm going to guess that
  • GMG bought their keys from Bamco/WB
  • CDPR was sure they didn't allow Bamco/WB to hurt-sell keys
  • Bamco/WB was sure CDPR allowed them to hurt-sell keys
  • Optionally: the agreement between Bamco/WB and CDPR does not even directly address hurt-selling keys, complicating matters

Of course a few other scenarios are possible, but I think CDPR is jumping the gun.

GMG team, please address this as soon as possible (i.e.: tomorrow) until I get to believe CDPR. Already got a W3 key at GOG, but if you don't address this, then I'm probably going to deliberately ignore you for a while when it comes to other deals.

What do you mean by "hurt-sell"?

Dr Dogg

I imagine they went home for the day.
For their sake I hope that someone is keeping up with twitter during non-office hours or this might get really out of hand overnight.

I wouldn't be worried about tha, I'd rather they come back with the relevant information and/or requisite evidence than throwing up a quick statement that they're 'looking into it'. Not a lot they can do to be fair just as long as they act professionally which is more than can be said of some other parties.

Squishy3

End of the day, GameSpot published this during UK office hours. They should have been able to have the chance to respond earlier. But their competitors work around the clock maybe they should have someone keeping an eye out.
More like Gamespot should have tried contacting the accused. There's a phone number right on the website, for crying out loud, and surely Gamespot would be able to get a conversation with someone equipped to answer the accusation.

There isn't even a note in the article saying Gamespot has reached out to GMG for comment but they have not responded at the time of this writing. That's journalism 101.

Almighty

Yeah, I think he's confusing GMG with G2A.

Maybe he is confused and thinks that GMG = G2A

news_facepalm.png

Have never heard of this, but as others have said, he's probably thinking of G2A.

Google bring back nothing.
In fact, it brought up the stolen Sniper Elite 3 keys where GMG is listed as one of the licensed resellers.

Mods story spawned from a very particular black hole, from where it was tugged into the light.

They ran out of keys once. (Can happen to anyone) They accidently had some duplicates go out once I think too. (Can also happen by accident to anyone)

That's all I've got from the last 4 years of using them. (Shrug) I don't know.

Thanks guys/gals. I am going to assume he made a simple mistake and confused GMG with G2A, but if he is actually talking about this issue

then that seems to be a huge stretch to call that fraudulent to me. Since it sounds like there was a problem somewhere in the line between Valve to Activision to GMG and it was sorted out relatively quickly it seems.

cirrhosis

Thanks guys/gals. I am going to assume he made a simple mistake and confused GMG with G2A, but if he is actually talking about this issue

then that seems to be a huge stretch to call that fraudulent to me. Since it sounds like there was a problem somewhere in the line between Valve to Activision to GMG and it was sorted out relatively quickly it seems.

CDPR will probably be getting new moderators after all is said and done. This is wild seeing how it has escalated to this point.

The worst thing is that if GMG is actually selling illegitimate keys, they still have regional pricing on their site, so some regions have to pay more than US. When you're a key reseller, there is no excuse to have regional pricing other than greed.

Let's wait before breaking out the pitchforks. GMG's given me great service for a long time now, so I think they deserve to explain themselves.

boskee

Most of the people here are missing the fact that CDPR is self publishing the game worldwide, while Namco and WB are only distributors of the retail copies of the game in their respective regions.

Na podsumowanie warto wspomnieć, że Namco Bandai oraz Warner Bros. odpowiadają wyłącznie za dystrybucję wydań pudełkowych, a współpraca, którą nawiązali ponownie z polskim CD Projektem, nie obejmuje sprzedaży elektronicznej.

It's worth noting that Namco Banai and Warner Bros are responsible only for the distribution of the boxed release and their partnership with CDPR doesn't include digital distribution. END QUOTE.

http://pclab.pl/news55362.html

https://www.cdprojekt.com/Press_Room/Aktualnosci,news_id,1988

So, GMG has some explaining to do here.

Squishy3

CDPR will probably be getting new moderators after all is said and done. This is bonkers seeing how it's all escalated to this point.
Well, the first person to respond is the Business Development Manager at CDProjekt. Of course, his post is not nearly as inflammatory as the moderator's posts are. He just says "I ask our fans not to buy from GMG as we don't know the source of the promised keys at the moment."

It's the other mod that's accusing GMG of selling fraudulent keys in the past.

cirrhosis

Well, the first person to respond is the Business Development Manager at CDProjekt. Of course, his post is not nearly as inflammatory as the moderator's posts are. He just says "I ask our fans not to buy from GMG as we don't know the source of the promised keys at the moment."

It's the other mod that's accusing GMG of selling fraudulent keys in the past.

True. I should have specified that I was referring to that last mod reply - that's the big one.

Squishy3

The Namco Bandai being listed as the publisher is also probably the fault of whoever gathered the information to put in the store page. Probably an intern or low-ranking employee got asked to do it and saw the UK distributor was them and just put them in as the publisher. Witcher 2 is labeled correctly on GMG, for example.

But yeah, too early to say that keys that haven't even been delievered yet are fraudulent. Some people already made accounts on the GMG forums just to lambast them for this.

pelican

Sorry, but the developer has no right to dictate where potential customers buy their keys/games.

And, without proof they are jumping the gun re the source of the keys.

boskee

Sorry, but the developer has no right to dictate where potential customers buy their keys/games.

Sorry, but the publisher has every right to dictate where potential customers buy their keys/games.

And CD Projekt Red handling digital distribution on its own has every proof they need to know if they sold them keys or not.

Aselith

They aren't selling keys at this point are they? Seems like preorders wouldn't require a "key" per say right? Granted I don't know how the back end of this stuff works.

They can let them know that the sourcing is shady though as that could get the customer's license revoked.

Most of the people here are missing the fact that CDPR is self publishing the game worldwide, while Namco and WB are only distributors of the retail copies of the game in their respective regions.

It's worth noting that Namco Banai and Warner Bros are responsible only for the distribution of the boxed release and their partnership with CDPR doesn't include digital distribution. END QUOTE.

http://pclab.pl/news55362.html

https://www.cdprojekt.com/Press_Room/Aktualnosci,news_id,1988

So, GMG has some explaining to do here.

hmm interesting

RMI

Banned
Let's wait before breaking out the pitchforks. GMG's given me great service for a long time now, so I think they deserve to explain themselves.

Yup, really surprised (or maybe I'm not surprised) at everyone jumping to conclusions here. GMG has a good reputation, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt until there is a response or additional information.

shandy706

Sorry, but the publisher has every right to dictate where potential customers buy their keys/games.

And CD Projekt Red handling digital distribution on its own has every proof they need to know if they sold them keys or not.

So if I get in 5000 keys from you (CDPR), and decide I want to resell 2000 to GMG, you want me to ask first?

They have the "right" with that initial sell, but they don't dictate resale.

pelican

No. They can't dictate, however they can advise if keys are stolen.

Perhaps GMG have purchased a bulk order of physical games allowing them the margin to discount the games down. Completely possible.

MUnited83

For you.
Seems the mod is confusing GMG with G2A.

:lol:

No. They can't dictate, however they can advise if keys are stolen.

Perhaps GMG have purchased a bulk order of physical games allowing them the margin to discount the games down. Completely possible.
After spending years being a legit authorised seller? No, it isn't really possible.

My money is on this being a complete misunderstanding.

Almighty

CDPR will probably be getting new moderators after all is said and done. This is wild seeing how it has escalated to this point.

At the very least it seems they need to talk to their mods how to moderate and not unnecessarily escalate things.

This whole thing just seemed like something that should of been handled behind closed doors. It seems bad form on CDPR's part to have taken this public so quickly. Edit: I am of course giving GMG the benefit of the doubt and assuming where ever they were/are getting their keys from is legit. Because while the other option isn't an impossibility it seems to be a very odd move for a well known and respected digital retailer to take.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Whoa what the hell GMG, why start being shady now? Guess I won't be buying from you anymore, though the game deals haven't really been that good lately.

pelican

Whoa what the hell GMG, why start being shady now? Guess I won't be buying from you anymore, though the game deals haven't really been that good lately.

Talk about a knee jerk reaction before the facts are clear.

May I ask, do you always rush to jump to rash decisions before knowing the full picture?

boskee

So if I get in 5000 keys from you (CDPR), and decide I want to resell 2000 to GMG, you want me to ask first?

Yes, I meant the initial sale. It's up to them to decide who gets to be their distribution partner.

Assuming you are a business, CDPR could make you a deal where you "buy" 5000 keys from them cheaper than normally, but you promise them to do only specific stuff with them (i.e. sell to consumers). Not sure what's wrong about it.

AkuMifune

Banned
Talk about a knee jerk reaction before the facts are clear.

May I ask, do you always rush to jump to rash decisions before knowing the full picture?

It's the articles fault. If they aren't going to do due diligence and find out where the keys come from before starting a fire, they're worse than the hacks at tmz.

herp derp games journalism again.

Lothars

Wow this is really bad on CDPR how to handle this and I don't necessarily believe them, I'll wait to see what GMG says.

Top Bottom