• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Konami Sucks

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Western rabid anti-Konami fans, please stop 'raiding' official Konami bemani and other YouTube videos with your Silent Hill nonsense. Comments now disabled by default.

I don't think the problem is that they pulled P.T from the store.
The Super Rub-a-Dub demo got pulled too and there never was a public outcry about it (I think Bishoptl made a thread though)

The thing is they won't allow people who have it already installed on their console to play it (unlike the Super rub-a-dub demo)

Mikey Jr.

I don’t understand the anger towards Konami for pulling PT from psn to be honest…

Silent Hills at the moment is a cancelled project, so its promotional demo, PT, has no marketing value to Konami…

Since the last console generation we know that console holders (Sony, MS and Nintendo) used to charge game makers per download volume of their games from their digital stores and we know that the cost on Sony platforms (PS3) was 16 cents per GB…

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/113788/Sony_Charging_Publishers_For_PSN_Download_Volume.php

This policy is still valid today in the next generation consoles and game makers still have to pay psn or xbox live (or any digital store on PC) for bandwidth costs…

The size of PT demo on psn was 1.3 GB which means that Konami had to pay Sony around 16-20 cents when some random user decided to download the “Playable Teaser”…

The cost value is based on 2009 prices (per GB) and maybe it is a lot cheaper now, but the point I want to make is that downloads from digital stores cost money to publishers/game makers…

Since PT is no longer going to make any money for Konami and Sony still charges for the bandwidth per download, it seems logical to me for Konami to remove PT from psn store…

And maybe 15-20 cents per download don’t sound like much money, but if you multiply that by 4 or 5 or 10 million people that are going to download the demo, the amounts is very large for a company that is trying to cut costs and restructure…

I am sure that every PS4 owner would want to download PT at the moment, especially after hearing about eBay prices…

As a gamer I am hugely disappointed from the cancelation of Silent Hills, but I totally understand why Konami pulled PT from psn store…

They delisted the game.

This means that any NEW users will never be able to download the game.

Of the users that had the game on their library, how many times do you think they are constantly deleting and redownloading PT a day? 50? At most, probably once a year, some of them will probably never download it again.

So how much was it costing Konami really?

I am not going to bash them for delisting the game. PSN gave people plenty of time to put PT in their library. But to go the extra mile and just make sure no one can ever download it again? Thats kinda fucked up.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t understand the anger towards Konami for pulling PT from psn to be honest…

Silent Hills at the moment is a cancelled project, so its promotional demo, PT, has no marketing value to Konami…

Since the last console generation we know that console holders (Sony, MS and Nintendo) used to charge game makers per download volume of their games from their digital stores and we know that the cost on Sony platforms (PS3) was 16 cents per GB…

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/113788/Sony_Charging_Publishers_For_PSN_Download_Volume.php

This policy is still valid today in the next generation consoles and game makers still have to pay psn or xbox live (or any digital store on PC) for bandwidth costs…

The size of PT demo on psn was 1.3 GB which means that Konami had to pay Sony around 16-20 cents when some random user decided to download the “Playable Teaser”…

The cost value is based on 2009 prices (per GB) and maybe it is a lot cheaper now, but the point I want to make is that downloads from digital stores cost money to publishers/game makers…

Since PT is no longer going to make any money for Konami and Sony still charges for the bandwidth per download, it seems logical to me for Konami to remove PT from psn store…

And maybe 15-20 cents per download don’t sound like much money, but if you multiply that by 4 or 5 or 10 million people that are going to download the demo, the amounts is very large for a company that is trying to cut costs and restructure…

I am sure that every PS4 owner would want to download PT at the moment, especially after hearing about eBay prices…

As a gamer I am hugely disappointed from the cancelation of Silent Hills, but I totally understand why Konami pulled PT from psn store…

Take out the Silent Hills teaser.
Charge about $5 for PT
There, I solved Konami's little issue without fucking everyone over.

Raysod

Banned
People keep saying it costs money to keep it on the servers, but I can go to my PS3 and download some shitty demo from 2007 with no issues, but suddenly a less than 12 month old demo has to be pulled?

Sony started to charge for bandwidth volume on 2009, so I am not sure what is the deal for titles that where published on psn before 2009. I am guessing that large publishers (ie Activision, EA etc) have special deals with console holders that cover their whole portfolio…

And maybe on indy games Sony keeps a percentage of money per sale, so the bandwidth gets paid from this fee...

Nothing is free on closed platforms, which consoles are an example of…

m@cross

Be careful what you wish for, you may regret Konami going under when some company like Zynga buys their pool of console game licenses.

jholmes

They fucked over Bomberman as well, never forget

If some guy at Kotaku wants to be Johnny Come Lately complaining about Konami, the least he could do is make it all about the disaster that is post-purchase Hudson. Does the world need another guy whining about P.T.? Hell, does Kotaku need another story about P.T.?

todahawk

Sony started to charge for bandwidth volume on 2009, so I am not sure what is the deal for titles that where published on psn before 2009. I am guessing that large publishers (ie Activision, EA etc) have special deals with console holders that cover their whole portfolio…

And maybe on indy games Sony keeps a percentage of money per sale, so the bandwidth gets paid from this fee...

Nothing is free on closed platforms, which consoles are an example of…

And how much do you think this backlash has cost Konami?

McDougles

If some guy at Kotaku wants to be Johnny Come Lately complaining about Konami, the least he could do is make it all about the disaster that is post-purchase Hudson. Does the world need another guy whining about P.T.? Hell, does Kotaku need another story about P.T.?

That's a cute way to stealthily whine about the thread, let alone the source story.

Raysod

Banned
They delisted the game.

This means that any NEW users will never be able to download the game.

Of the users that had the game on their library, how many times do you think they are constantly deleting and redownloading PT a day? 50? At most, probably once a year, some of them will probably never download it again.

So how much was it costing Konami really?

I am not going to bash them for delisting the game. PSN gave people plenty of time to put PT in their library. But to go the extra mile and just make sure no one can ever download it again? Thats kinda fucked up.

I made an educated guess about the cost per download on my post...

Obviously Konami delisted PT so that they don’t have any more costs to pay for and i really wish that the make a port of PT on PCs...

I beleive that PT made gaming history and must be reserved as a piece of software... :D

Also have in your mind that, because of the exclusivity console deal, maybe Sony was paying for the bandwidth of PT and probably Sony didn't want to keep paying for PT and forced Konami to pull it for the store….

jholmes

That's a cute way to stealthily whine about the thread, let alone the source story.

Not whining about the thread, just saying I agree with this guy:

kdmjhnj4muj7.jpg

I'm confused: is this thread about discussing the Kotaku article, or about discussing P.T./Konami? Because what I said is a relevant criticism of Kotaku, I should think.

Raysod

Banned
And how much do you think this backlash has cost Konami?

If Konami wants to pull away from AAA projects on consoles and PC and wants to focus on mobile development it didn’t cost them anything…

Do you think that casual people that are currently 10-15 year old would care (or know as a franchise) about Sillent Hills or Metal Gear?

sasliquid

Just bought Suikoden 2 and just await my MGSV pre-order (though I'm tempted to demote from the collectors edition). Now I can officially say I plan to give no more money to Konami. Eff em

Fury451

Banned
The next team that works on Silent Hill could create a fucking masterpiece of modern horror, a brilliant and artistic and terrifying journey through mind and body, and everyone would think it's terrible because of these events or write it off before even touching it. Or even touching it.

I'm pretty sure that won't happen though. Evidence? Origins, Homecoming, Book of Memories, Downpour, HD Collection, and for some Shattered Memories. Konami has shopped out to low bids for awhile, and that's just one franchise.

And I'm a Downpour apologist- that team tried, but they didn't have the budget or the skill to make a classic. The game was cut to pieces and released in a buggy state, and was never fully fixed.

Konami has put a lot of effort into earning their poor reputation here, so let's not pretend this is a few gamers overblowing their behavior.

People keep saying it costs money to keep it on the servers, but I can go to my PS3 and download some shitty demo from 2007 with no issues, but suddenly a less than 12 month old demo has to be pulled?

I too am puzzled by those who continue to defend Konami's shitty practices.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Aside from MGS V (which I will be buying solely to support Kojima) Konami has lost my business. I encourage you to do the same.

I'm with you, but... it isn't hard to abide by such a mentality now, given the lack of anything remotely noteworthy in their gaming pipeline, heh.

A Konami rep is on the local news talking about the Dungeons and Dragons slot machine.
I kind of wish they go all in. Make a Castlevania and MGS slot machine.

I wouldn't have much job satisfaction having to clean up the mess for Konami executive decisions. Feel bad for those on the front line who have to deal with press and the fans.

I don't think the problem is that they pulled P.T from the store.
The Super Rub-a-Dub demo got pulled too and there never was a public outcry about it (I think Bishoptl made a thread though)

The thing is they won't allow people who have it already installed on their console to play it (unlike the Super rub-a-dub demo)

God dammit I was drinking water

andymcc

Banned
Western rabid anti-Konami fans, please stop 'raiding' official Konami bemani and other YouTube videos with your Silent Hill nonsense. Comments now disabled by default.

I used to hate on Bemani back when it ruined their classic franchises so if anything that would be consistent for me!

sörine

Banned
It looks like Konami is leaving the videogame industry. Very sad times! I hope they sell their IPs to Nintendo or Capcom.
They won't. They might use them in mobile/redemption games, or catalog console sales on things like Virtual Console/PS Classics but most likely they'll just sit on them and let them die.

Tapejara

People aren't mad solely that the game isn't available on PSN anymore. Games get delisted all of the time - usually due to expired licenses. What makes this worse, is that even if you own P.T., you can't redownload it. That had only happened one other time in PSN history. If a game is removed from the storefront, it's expected that you can redownload it so long as you own a license. And people who downloaded P.T. own a license.

As well, we shouldn't be trying to make excuses for Konami, or any other publisher. P.T. is a piece of gaming history that's essentially lost forever, all because of Konami's ridiculous scorched Earth policy. This industry should be taking steps to perverse games, not tossing them in the garbage.

Alebrije

It looks like Konami is leaving the videogame industry. Very sad times! I hope they sell their IPs to Nintendo or Capcom.

If they leave the industry just hope they do not sell their IPs to MS, EA or UBI. Sony , Nintendo , Atlus and even SE would be better options

On the one hand, I don't really blame Konami, it seems like a move that might make sense thinking about it from their point of view (given how little I know of that point of view). Still shitty though, Silent Hills was going to be baller as fuck yo.

GcRayden

You know, the more I think about how they are just dropping the project and took down the demo...

What if Konami purposely did this in order to generate hate toward Kojima and it ended up backfiring? The way they are acting, I could see them purposely canceling the game and taking down the demo, just to get millions of gamers pissed off at Kojima. It even kind of jives with their statement how they will continue to make their own entries to Silent Hill, pushing the blame on Kojima for leaving the project.

Obviously it's Konami's fault, but I feel like when you think of it from the mind of a child who didn't get their way and is now throwing a fit, their actions kinda makes sense in a weird, fucked up way.

sörine;162973762 said:
They won't. They might use them in mobile/redemption games, or catalog console sales on things like Virtual Console/PS Classics but most likely they'll just sit on them and let them die.
They are not going to sell their IPs. Now leasing them maybe.
I expect another Konami video slot machine since Neo Contra was this year. Silent Hill is going to be my guess.

rpmurphy

All of this Konami backlash is just a few years too late. They clearly already don't give a shit.
First reply gets it. However, everyone did think that Kojima was the untouchable golden cow, but now we truly learn the extent of Konami's apathy for all of its gaming products. Leave no stone unturned.

Aizo

Banned
Protect Beatmania ;___;

Have you seen your tag with the new Android update? Interesting.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I found footage of the Neo Contra machine:
https://youtu.be/TNqTRKVKPz8

No Contra video game in sight...

Okay, I've never played Neo Contra so I've no idea if any of those visuals represent anything from it (I presume the FMV of the character is ripped from the game), but... Why even use the Contra name? It obviously doesn't play like a Contra game, it barely looks like a Contra game, it certainly doesn't sound like a Contra game, and from what I could gather from the comments on the video, the crossover audience between people who play slot machines and people who are fans that'd remember the games is quite small.

And this is what REALLY upsets me about the Konami situation. So they don't see a future in making console and PC games anymore, fine, I get it. But why take these beloved game IPs with you to an audience that doesn't give a shit about them, especially if Konami themselves don't even muster up the bare-bones effort to tie their gambling machines to the respective franchise with any compentency or respect? Is it because they have big numbers and years of relevence you could awkwardly tie to a sales pitch to other execs? That's not even trying to exploit it for the audience's sake. Even Final Fantasy: All The Bravest, one of if not THE most exploitative and manipulative cash-ins of videogame history, appealed to the existing Final Fantasy audience through the use of classic characters and enemies, rather than to the business suits drafting up a contract to bring it to whatever audience they want to ruthlessly extract money from.

It's just... really fucking painful to bear.

Raysod

Banned
People aren't mad solely that the game isn't available on PSN anymore. Games get delisted all of the time - usually due to expired licenses. What makes this worse, is that even if you own P.T., you can't redownload it. That had only happened one other time in PSN history. If a game is removed from the storefront, it's expected that you can redownload it so long as you own a license. And people who downloaded P.T. own a license.

As well, we shouldn't be trying to make excuses for Konami, or any other publisher. P.T. is a piece of gaming history that's essentially lost forever, all because of Konami's ridiculous scorched Earth policy. This industry should be taking steps to perverse games, not tossing them in the garbage.

I completely agree with you on all your points…

The problem here is that PT is technically a demo and not a game, so they can pull a demo from your download list without any legal (or other) issues…

I remember a lot of times that older game demos got pulled from psn store, especially after sony implemented bandwidth volume charges to publishers and game developers…
(for example Valkyria Chronicles demo, Crysis 2 demo or MGS 4 demo on PS3, but there are a lot more older demos that got pulled from psn from their creators)

Damn it, that article (well more specifically that gif in the article) just spoiled P.T. for me.

I know he thought it was probably OK since most either have it and have played it, or will never be able to, but I'm one of the few that has it on my PS4 but hasn't played through it yet.

I wish I knew how serious this might be.

I created a US GAF account specially for P.T. and wanted to share the password once the dust is settled, but I guess Konami doesn't want that happening.

Wish I made an EU sharing account instead.

Battlechili

Banned
I mean I don't like Konami either but it still bothers me that sites like Kotaku put up the opinions of the people who work there. Saying "Konami sucks" comes off as really unprofessional.

Still, I don't like Konami either. The thing with no further P.T. downloads is a real bummer. They sunk worse than Capcom in a matter of days.

Top Bottom