• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
wGazUQs.png

Thread numbah four!

aO5Nars.jpg
+
XFw4NIe.jpg

She's a rough-and-tumble tomboy that can't bear to settle down.

He's a freewheeling partier that can't let go of the past.

When fire meets water, this summer gets steamy.

Izzet Me, Izzet You. The feel-good romantic comedy of the year.

High Score List
LnxAtMr.png

I still made the top ten!

So I’m completely new to Magic. What’s it about? Where can I learn to play?

Well the first thing you should do is check out an awesome page put together by TheSeks:
http://peg.gd/1LE

Magic: The Gathering is the original trading card game, released over 20 years ago. Players in Magic represent powerful wizards known as “planeswalkers”, who use a library of varied and powerful spells to wage war against each other. As a Magic player you’ll be summoning creatures to fight for you, laying powerful enchantments that change the game, and calling forth lightning bolts and mystic powers to devastate the opposition.

If you’re totally green to the game, there are a number of resources to help you learn to play. In rough order of helpfulness:

1.)Magic: the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers: Released on Steam, PSN, and XBLA, this game is designed specifically to help train new players into the game. Its got some limitations, but its an excellent place to start.

2.)Find a local game store, show up on a Friday night, and just ask someone to teach you. This really is the best way to learn. There are always a lot of pre-constructed decks available for less then fifteen dollars, and when you feel more confident then build your own custom deck or get involved in a Draft, where everyone opens new packs of cards and passes them around, building decks out of what they get.
Locate stores near you: http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/

3.)The official Magic website: http://magic.wizards.com/en/new-to-magic
The Magic website is generally crammed with excellent information, including a dozen or so weekly columns on everything from advance strategy to behind the scenes insight from the head designers themselves. But this specific link takes you to an introductory page, with a few tutorials and videos to help you out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Needs more Ash Zealot/Snapcaster photos in the OP

aO5Nars.jpg
+
XFw4NIe.jpg

She's a rough-and-tumble tomboy that can't bear to settle down.

He's a freewheeling partier that can't let go of the past.

When fire meets water, this summer gets steamy.

Izzet Me, Izzet You. The feel-good romantic comedy of the year.

Check next week's Uncharted Realms for the whole shocking story!

I don't play modern enough to get hyped about MM2 spoilers. I'm a flavor nerd that's been roped into caring about a substitute core set. C'mon, Magic Origins!

Firemind

This combo has a lot of bad spells, for sure, but I'm not exactly weeping for the combo that gets Fire//Ice, Electrolyze, Dack Fayden....
That reminds me: Snapcaster Mage should have been UR.

If I have to rank the pairs, Izzet and Rakdos would be bottom tier. As good as Fire // Ice and Electrolyze were though, they weren't dominating a standard format as much as Blightning was. Worst pair has to be Simic. I can't even remember one U/G card that was semi-playable in constructed besides Mystic Snake and Trygon Predator.

ironmang

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163110415]Mystic Snake is my favorite creature. Card is so sweet.[/QUOTE]

It's one of those cards I wish was a tad more playable. The only deck that could play it, Scapeshift, doesn't care about a 2/2 even if it gets around Negate/Dispel.

kirblar

It's one of those cards I wish was a tad more playable. The only deck that could play it, Scapeshift, doesn't care about a 2/2 even if it gets around Negate/Dispel.
Was incredibly playable back in the day.

Would love to see Undermine/Absorb in Modern eventually somehow.

ironmang

Was incredibly playable back in the day.

Would love to see Undermine/Absorb in Modern eventually somehow.

I wasn't in the competitive scene when it was legal but I definitely believe it. Sucks that it has to go up against Cryptic though which does everything you could ever ask for.

UWR control would probably love Absorb these days lol.

Matriox

Didn't know KMC was making premium Hypermat sleeves, but I sure as hell ordered some.. Needed to double sleeve my edh deck anyways.

From Reddit

Regular Hyper Mat:
RsrrrV5l.jpg

Premium:
AIzAl62l.jpg

red13th

Didn't know KMC was making premium Hypermat sleeves, but I sure as hell ordered some.. Needed to double sleeve my edh deck anyways.

From Reddit

Regular Hyper Mat:
RsrrrV5l.jpg

Premium:
AIzAl62l.jpg

What. Those look great.
I was in Japan less than a month ago and I didn't see those for sale. I got a bunch of regular Hyper Mats.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I only like Hyper Mattes for double sleeving. They're kind of crummy for ordinary sleeves and double sleeving takes fucking-forever.

Matriox

What. Those look great.
I was in Japan less than a month ago and I didn't see those for sale. I got a bunch of regular Hyper Mats.

According to the reddit they came out at the end of April :( you just missed them

I only like Hyper Mattes for double sleeving. They're kind of crummy for ordinary sleeves and double sleeving takes fucking-forever.

The time consumption definately sucks but since trying them I just love the way they feel when you shuffle them. I currently use them for my standard deck single sleeved and they definately split more than my Dragon shields.

Playing an unsleeved competitive constructive deck with no playmat, keeping it together using only a rubber-band and keeping your open-mouth glass of coke on the dirty gamestore table right next to the deck. #LivingOnTheEdge #YOLO

bigkrev

Because of how much I loved Tempest when I was a kid, against my better judgement, I re-installed MTGO last night. I've done 2 drafts so far, going 2-1 with a super sweet UR deck with Tradewind Rider, 2 Capsize, and 5 Walls of Diffusion, and just went 3-0 with a nearly mono-R deck with 4x Mogg Conscripts and "splashing" white for 2 Staunch Defenders and a Pascifism. Really digging the format so far.

Also, 6-2-2-2 is a fucking revalation. You get the durdle skill level of 4-3-2-2, with actual fair payouts!

ElyrionX

That reminds me: Snapcaster Mage should have been UR.

If I have to rank the pairs, Izzet and Rakdos would be bottom tier. As good as Fire // Ice and Electrolyze were though, they weren't dominating a standard format as much as Blightning was. Worst pair has to be Simic. I can't even remember one U/G card that was semi-playable in constructed besides Mystic Snake and Trygon Predator.

Simic is insane in EDH though. Momir Vig and Prime Speaker are powerhouses.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163133941]Profit of Kruphix da bess[/QUOTE]

Lol I can't believe I forgot about that. Every goddamn time that card hits the table, everybody groans.

It's like 20 Time Walks stapled to a 2/3. I love the Prophet. Combine it with Consecrated Sphinx and you literally never have to stop playing even when it's not your turn! :p

Needs more Ash Zealot/Snapcaster photos in the OP

This is significantly funnier than I expected.

If I have to rank the pairs, Izzet and Rakdos would be bottom tier.

If we're just talking multicolor card quality (because as kirblar mentioned, UR as a color combo is boss) this is probably fair. Blue/red loses out to the red problem where there's nothing to do at common; black/red loses out to the problem that the brain wants it to be slow and controlling, but the heart wants it to be fast and aggressive.

I can't even remember one U/G card that was semi-playable in constructed besides Mystic Snake and Trygon Predator.

Simic Sky Swallower, Coiling Oracle, Kiora, Shardless Agent....

ElyrionX

It's like 20 Time Walks stapled to a 2/3. I love the Prophet. Combine it with Consecrated Sphinx and you literally never have to stop playing even when it's not your turn! :p

Consecrated Sphinx is also pretty extreme value as I realized just this past weekend. It's like any EDH deck becomes better the moment you shove it in.

OnPoint

^^^ agreed ^^^

Playing an unsleeved competitive constructive deck with no playmat, keeping it together using only a rubber-band and keeping your open-mouth glass of coke on the dirty gamestore table right next to the deck. #LivingOnTheEdge #YOLO
That was me in high school, playing unsleeved duals in my Sliver deck at the breakfast table.

Yikes.

I tried starting a discussion about competitive EDH over on MTGSalvation. It's going about how I expected it to go.

Consecrated Sphinx is also pretty extreme value as I realized just this past weekend. It's like any EDH deck becomes better the moment you shove it in.

I love UG decks in EDH. They always have such nice targets for me to Bribery.

ElyrionX

I tried starting a discussion about competitive EDH over on MTGSalvation. It's going about how I expected it to go.

I love UG decks in EDH. They always have such nice targets for me to Bribery.

EDH is so playgroup-dependent that it's pointless to define how competitive it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom