• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(05-08-2015, 07:31 PM)
alr1ght's Avatar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4

Step into the castle, if you dare! Double Fine's senior gameplay programmer Anna Kipnis is joined by legendary designer Koji Igarashi for a playthrough of the cult classic "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night".

Note: Don't read anything into Double Fine x IGA. They do a bunch of these Devs Play videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dYVBxNtfWZPm5W
The Lamonster
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:32 PM)
The Lamonster's Avatar
Subscribed. Can't wait to watch this.

Thanks OP :)
brandonh83
Banned
(05-08-2015, 07:33 PM)
brandonh83's Avatar
Just days before his game announcement...
Sir TapTap
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:33 PM)
Sir TapTap's Avatar
"Cult classic"?!
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(05-08-2015, 07:34 PM)
ezekial45's Avatar
Wonderful. These are great.
JDSN
Banned
(05-08-2015, 07:34 PM)
JDSN's Avatar
Ugh, please dont tell me DF is behind this.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(05-08-2015, 07:35 PM)
ezekial45's Avatar
Ben Judd! I was wondering where he went off to after leaving Capcom.
GuardianE
Santa May Claus
(05-08-2015, 07:35 PM)
GuardianE's Avatar
This should be awesome. Can't wait to watch it once I get home.
Wanderer5
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:36 PM)
Wanderer5's Avatar
Dat forshadowing???:P
mullet2000
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:36 PM)
mullet2000's Avatar
Igarashi is still one of the few people I've seen that can totally pull off a ponytail.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(05-08-2015, 07:36 PM)
alr1ght's Avatar

Originally Posted by JDSN

Ugh, please dont tell me DF is behind this.

His new game? Nah, Double Fine does a bunch of these Devs Play.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dYVBxNtfWZPm5W
LiK
(05-08-2015, 07:37 PM)
LiK's Avatar
Double Fine x IGA Kickstarter incoming?
Creaking
He touched the black heart of a mod
(05-08-2015, 07:37 PM)
Creaking's Avatar

Originally Posted by mullet2000

Igarashi is still one of the few people I've seen that can totally pull off a ponytail.

He can also pull off looking like/being a vampire lord.
Zefah
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:37 PM)

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Ben Judd! I was wondering where he went off to after leaving Capcom.

Seems like he works a general facilitator for things involving Japanese devs these days.
Easy_D
never left the stone age
(05-08-2015, 07:38 PM)
Easy_D's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir TapTap

"Cult classic"?!

Castlevania's never been that much of a seller actually, that's why the GBA/DS games were made on a shoestring budget and had to recycle sprites like crazy.

Originally Posted by mullet2000

Igarashi is still one of the few people I've seen that can totally pull off a ponytail.

Are we twins? I pretty much made this exact post in the SwordOrWhip thread. Eerily enough we both posted at the same minute. The GAF hivemind is real!

Originally Posted by Easy_D

One of few men who can totally rock a ponytail

BROTHER!
Creaking
He touched the black heart of a mod
(05-08-2015, 07:40 PM)
Creaking's Avatar

Originally Posted by Easy_D

Castlevania's never been that much of a seller actually, that's why the GBA/DS games were made on a shoestring budget and had to recycle sprites like crazy.

I'm sure it can't have helped to constantly move from platform to platform. Hopefully this Kickstarter project of his can get a wide release.
TreIII
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Wanderer5

Dat forshadowing???:P

But of course~!

I'm in, though. Looking forward to more trivia bits that may flow from IGA as he plays one of his own games.
Death Metalist
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:40 PM)
Death Metalist's Avatar
This is fucking great. Can't wait to watch it when I have some free time.
Storm Kyleis
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:42 PM)
Storm Kyleis's Avatar
Crankshaft
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:44 PM)
Crankshaft's Avatar
I've always been hoping for a IGA x VanillaWare game. A Metroidvania with Kamitami artwork.
jimboton
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:45 PM)
jimboton's Avatar

Originally Posted by JDSN

Ugh, please dont tell me DF is behind this.

Well they kind of are.. If it weren't for their 'Double Fine Adventure' kickstarting the Kickstarter craze none of the major high profile gaming kickstarters would have ever happened. I dislike a lot the way they handled their own project but you have to give them that. It's all thanks to Tim.
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(05-08-2015, 07:46 PM)
ezekial45's Avatar
It was a really smart move to do the viral marketing for this kickstarter. They've built up so much hype now, and it should translate well for them for the campaign.
PsihoPerihelion
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:47 PM)
PsihoPerihelion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Storm Kyleis

Just according to keikaku.
BMX Bandit
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:50 PM)
BMX Bandit's Avatar

Originally Posted by ezekial45

It was a really smart move to do the viral marketing for this kickstarter. They've built up so much hype now, and it should translate well for them for the campaign.

Yeh. I know alot of people have been complaining about it\the length it has gone on but I've got the feeling it'll really help their first day numbers.
tringworldso
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:53 PM)
tringworldso's Avatar
Hah... just did a search for Igarashi and saw this pic come up:


He looks almost unrecognizable without his beard and long hair!
TreIII
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:53 PM)

Originally Posted by BMX Bandit

Yeh. I know alot of people have been complaining about it\the length it has gone on but I've got the feeling it'll really help their first day numbers.

And to be fair...it's only been a week.

I could understand the groaning if this was something that had been stretching for a longer period of time, like some other Japanese countdown sites we've had in the last few years.
Weltall Zero
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:57 PM)
Weltall Zero's Avatar
I don't understand this format. The guy on the left (Ben) asks Iga in Japanese, Iga responds in Japanese (both subtitled), then Ben verbally translates question and answer, effectively repeating everything twice. What the hell?
BMX Bandit
Member
(05-08-2015, 07:58 PM)
BMX Bandit's Avatar

Originally Posted by TreIII

And to be fair...it's only been a week.

I could understand the groaning if this was something that had been stretching for a longer period of time, like some other Japanese countdown sites we've had in the last few years.

Truth.

A week long campaign to get people talking was really smart considering this is going to require people to show up and pledge support. I can see getting upset about large publisher countdowns that lead to nothing but for a small team looking to raise interest in a crowd funded game it was a good idea.

The first day seems really important for kickstarter and when you look at something like Nightcry that struggled right to the end you can't blame them for wanting to get the word out early.
Snaku
Banned
(05-08-2015, 07:59 PM)
Snaku's Avatar
So man who had very little to do with making a game plays said game with other people who had nothing to do with afformentioned game? Ok.
Laevateinn
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:01 PM)
Laevateinn's Avatar
Iga seems pretty laid back. Ben seems familiar. Was he involved with Mighty No. 9?
chrominance
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:04 PM)
chrominance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weltall Zero

I don't understand this format. The guy on the left (Ben) asks Iga in Japanese, Iga responds in Japanese (both subtitled), then Ben verbally translates question and answer, effectively repeating everything twice. What the hell?

I doubt Anna knows Japanese, so it's probably for her sake so they can all have a decent discussion.
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:05 PM)
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!'s Avatar
Man, I really miss Ben Judd. Dude gave it his all to bring Bionic Commando to the mainstream. The gaming population was just too stupid for it. I miss the Top Secret podcasts as well, fun times.
Rollo Tomasi
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:07 PM)
Rollo Tomasi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snaku

So man who had very little to do with making a game plays said game with other people who had nothing to do with afformentioned game? Ok.

I guess you missed the whole part about Igarashi working on the design and script, and also being a co-director on the latter half of the game....?
Weltall Zero
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:08 PM)
Weltall Zero's Avatar

Originally Posted by chrominance

I doubt Anna knows Japanese, so it's probably for her sake so they can all have a decent discussion.

But there is no discussion at all, Anna is just dead weight after the intro (or a least all the bits I've seen of it skipping ahead). Having everything repeated twice makes this unwatchable. Hopefully someone will stitch together the subbed parts.
Scavenger
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:10 PM)
Scavenger's Avatar
I need to see this. I finished my third SOTN playthrough with 200.6% a few minutes ago.
astonish
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:14 PM)
astonish's Avatar
Luckiest girl on Earth. It's like me playing Super Metroid with Sakamoto or something.
mcmmaster
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:18 PM)
mcmmaster's Avatar
This is going to be sweet, delving into the mind of Igarashi on my favourite Castlevania game.
ignata
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:21 PM)
ignata's Avatar
The video I didn't know I wanted. Can't wait to watch this. Nothing has toppled Symphony of the Night in my world, and I don't know if it ever will. Hopefully IGA's next project...
Guymelef
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:23 PM)
Guymelef's Avatar

Originally Posted by tringworldso

Hah... just did a search for Igarashi and saw this pic come up:


He looks almost unrecognizable without his beard and long hair!

Man, the trident IGA-Kojima-Yamane must be together in his game.
Jotamide
Guest
(05-08-2015, 08:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir TapTap

"Cult classic"?!

Agreed. SotN is one of the most revered games of all time.
Chibo
Junior Member
(05-08-2015, 08:26 PM)
Chibo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir TapTap

"Cult classic"?!

Perhaps the same can be said of all religions?
Guymelef
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:27 PM)
Guymelef's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir TapTap

"Cult classic"?!

Is something wrong with that description?
Daouzin
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:40 PM)
Daouzin's Avatar
This is awesome, really looking forward to watching this this weekend.
Smellycat
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:43 PM)
Smellycat's Avatar

Originally Posted by tringworldso

Hah... just did a search for Igarashi and saw this pic come up:


He looks almost unrecognizable without his beard and long hair!

I miss those days :(
SolidSnakex
Member
(05-08-2015, 08:46 PM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Guymelef

Man, the trident IGA-Kojima-Yamane must be together in his game.

Yamane is basically a lock since she's still active in the industry. Kojima is the big question mark. She hasn't worked on game art since HoD.
John Rabbit
Banned
(05-08-2015, 09:00 PM)
John Rabbit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jotamide

Agreed. SotN is one of the most revered games of all time.

i think you're greatly exaggerating the popularity/awareness of SotN. it's "most revered" amongst a relatively small population of gamers.
Finale Fireworker
Member
(05-08-2015, 09:03 PM)
Finale Fireworker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jotamide

Agreed. SotN is one of the most revered games of all time.

Originally Posted by John Rabbit

i think you're greatly exaggerating the popularity/awareness of SotN. it's "most revered" amongst a relatively small population of gamers.

This is very true. Castlevania is not a popular series. It is a beloved, quality, hardcore series that has few games that ever saw huge success.
jett
D-Member
(05-08-2015, 09:04 PM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by Weltall Zero

But there is no discussion at all, Anna is just dead weight after the intro (or a least all the bits I've seen of it skipping ahead). Having everything repeated twice makes this unwatchable. Hopefully someone will stitch together the subbed parts.

Agreed. No offense to Ben Judd but they should've edited out his Japanese and English translations. Way too much stoppage.
JeanGrey
Member
(05-08-2015, 09:08 PM)
JeanGrey's Avatar
I love SotN. I still play it on my ps3. Can't wait.
krizzx
Junior Member
(05-08-2015, 09:20 PM)
krizzx's Avatar
Whoops, wrong thread.

Though, this is kind of hard to watch. Such long intervals between conversations do to the constantly having to translate.

Thread Tools