• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(05-08-2015, 07:31 PM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4

Step into the castle, if you dare! Double Fine's senior gameplay programmer Anna Kipnis is joined by legendary designer Koji Igarashi for a playthrough of the cult classic "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night".

Note: Don't read anything into Double Fine x IGA. They do a bunch of these Devs Play videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dYVBxNtfWZPm5W
The Lamonster
(05-08-2015, 07:32 PM)
Subscribed. Can't wait to watch this.

Thanks OP :)
brandonh83
Banned
(05-08-2015, 07:33 PM)
Just days before his game announcement...
Sir TapTap
(05-08-2015, 07:33 PM)
"Cult classic"?!
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(05-08-2015, 07:34 PM)
Wonderful. These are great.
JDSN
Banned
(05-08-2015, 07:34 PM)
Ugh, please dont tell me DF is behind this.
ezekial45
(05-08-2015, 07:35 PM)
Ben Judd! I was wondering where he went off to after leaving Capcom.
GuardianE
Santa May Claus
(05-08-2015, 07:35 PM)
This should be awesome. Can't wait to watch it once I get home.
Wanderer5
(05-08-2015, 07:36 PM)
Dat forshadowing???:P
mullet2000
Igarashi is still one of the few people I've seen that can totally pull off a ponytail.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)

Originally Posted by JDSN

His new game? Nah, Double Fine does a bunch of these Devs Play.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dYVBxNtfWZPm5W
LiK
(05-08-2015, 07:37 PM)
Double Fine x IGA Kickstarter incoming?
Creaking
He touched the black heart of a mod

Originally Posted by mullet2000

Igarashi is still one of the few people I've seen that can totally pull off a ponytail.

He can also pull off looking like/being a vampire lord.
Zefah

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Ben Judd! I was wondering where he went off to after leaving Capcom.

Seems like he works a general facilitator for things involving Japanese devs these days.
Easy_D
never left the stone age
(05-08-2015, 07:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Sir TapTap

"Cult classic"?!

Castlevania's never been that much of a seller actually, that's why the GBA/DS games were made on a shoestring budget and had to recycle sprites like crazy.

Originally Posted by mullet2000

Are we twins? I pretty much made this exact post in the SwordOrWhip thread. Eerily enough we both posted at the same minute. The GAF hivemind is real!

Originally Posted by Easy_D

One of few men who can totally rock a ponytail

BROTHER!
Creaking
He touched the black heart of a mod
(05-08-2015, 07:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Easy_D

Castlevania's never been that much of a seller actually, that's why the GBA/DS games were made on a shoestring budget and had to recycle sprites like crazy.

I'm sure it can't have helped to constantly move from platform to platform. Hopefully this Kickstarter project of his can get a wide release.
TreIII

Originally Posted by Wanderer5

Dat forshadowing???:P

But of course~!

I'm in, though. Looking forward to more trivia bits that may flow from IGA as he plays one of his own games.
Death Metalist
This is fucking great. Can't wait to watch it when I have some free time.
Storm Kyleis
(05-08-2015, 07:42 PM)
Crankshaft
(05-08-2015, 07:44 PM)
I've always been hoping for a IGA x VanillaWare game. A Metroidvania with Kamitami artwork.
jimboton
(05-08-2015, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by JDSN

Well they kind of are.. If it weren't for their 'Double Fine Adventure' kickstarting the Kickstarter craze none of the major high profile gaming kickstarters would have ever happened. I dislike a lot the way they handled their own project but you have to give them that. It's all thanks to Tim.
ezekial45
(05-08-2015, 07:46 PM)
It was a really smart move to do the viral marketing for this kickstarter. They've built up so much hype now, and it should translate well for them for the campaign.
PsihoPerihelion
(05-08-2015, 07:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Storm Kyleis

Just according to keikaku.
BMX Bandit
(05-08-2015, 07:50 PM)

Originally Posted by ezekial45

It was a really smart move to do the viral marketing for this kickstarter. They've built up so much hype now, and it should translate well for them for the campaign.

Yeh. I know alot of people have been complaining about it\the length it has gone on but I've got the feeling it'll really help their first day numbers.
tringworldso
(05-08-2015, 07:53 PM)
Hah... just did a search for Igarashi and saw this pic come up:

He looks almost unrecognizable without his beard and long hair!
TreIII
(05-08-2015, 07:53 PM)

Originally Posted by BMX Bandit

Yeh. I know alot of people have been complaining about it\the length it has gone on but I've got the feeling it'll really help their first day numbers.

And to be fair...it's only been a week.

I could understand the groaning if this was something that had been stretching for a longer period of time, like some other Japanese countdown sites we've had in the last few years.
Weltall Zero
(05-08-2015, 07:57 PM)
I don't understand this format. The guy on the left (Ben) asks Iga in Japanese, Iga responds in Japanese (both subtitled), then Ben verbally translates question and answer, effectively repeating everything twice. What the hell?
BMX Bandit
(05-08-2015, 07:58 PM)

Originally Posted by TreIII

And to be fair...it's only been a week.

I could understand the groaning if this was something that had been stretching for a longer period of time, like some other Japanese countdown sites we've had in the last few years.

Truth.

A week long campaign to get people talking was really smart considering this is going to require people to show up and pledge support. I can see getting upset about large publisher countdowns that lead to nothing but for a small team looking to raise interest in a crowd funded game it was a good idea.

The first day seems really important for kickstarter and when you look at something like Nightcry that struggled right to the end you can't blame them for wanting to get the word out early.
Snaku
Banned
(05-08-2015, 07:59 PM)
So man who had very little to do with making a game plays said game with other people who had nothing to do with afformentioned game? Ok.
Laevateinn
(05-08-2015, 08:01 PM)
Iga seems pretty laid back. Ben seems familiar. Was he involved with Mighty No. 9?
chrominance
(05-08-2015, 08:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Weltall Zero

I don't understand this format. The guy on the left (Ben) asks Iga in Japanese, Iga responds in Japanese (both subtitled), then Ben verbally translates question and answer, effectively repeating everything twice. What the hell?

I doubt Anna knows Japanese, so it's probably for her sake so they can all have a decent discussion.
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!
(05-08-2015, 08:05 PM)
Man, I really miss Ben Judd. Dude gave it his all to bring Bionic Commando to the mainstream. The gaming population was just too stupid for it. I miss the Top Secret podcasts as well, fun times.
Rollo Tomasi
(05-08-2015, 08:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Snaku

So man who had very little to do with making a game plays said game with other people who had nothing to do with afformentioned game? Ok.

I guess you missed the whole part about Igarashi working on the design and script, and also being a co-director on the latter half of the game....?
Weltall Zero
(05-08-2015, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by chrominance

I doubt Anna knows Japanese, so it's probably for her sake so they can all have a decent discussion.

But there is no discussion at all, Anna is just dead weight after the intro (or a least all the bits I've seen of it skipping ahead). Having everything repeated twice makes this unwatchable. Hopefully someone will stitch together the subbed parts.
Scavenger
(05-08-2015, 08:10 PM)
I need to see this. I finished my third SOTN playthrough with 200.6% a few minutes ago.
astonish
(05-08-2015, 08:14 PM)
Luckiest girl on Earth. It's like me playing Super Metroid with Sakamoto or something.
mcmmaster
(05-08-2015, 08:18 PM)
This is going to be sweet, delving into the mind of Igarashi on my favourite Castlevania game.
ignata
(05-08-2015, 08:21 PM)
The video I didn't know I wanted. Can't wait to watch this. Nothing has toppled Symphony of the Night in my world, and I don't know if it ever will. Hopefully IGA's next project...
Guymelef
(05-08-2015, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by tringworldso

Man, the trident IGA-Kojima-Yamane must be together in his game.
Jotamide
(05-08-2015, 08:24 PM)

"Cult classic"?!

Agreed. SotN is one of the most revered games of all time.
Chibo
(05-08-2015, 08:26 PM)

"Cult classic"?!

Perhaps the same can be said of all religions?
Guymelef
(05-08-2015, 08:27 PM)

"Cult classic"?!

Is something wrong with that description?
Daouzin
(05-08-2015, 08:40 PM)
This is awesome, really looking forward to watching this this weekend.
Smellycat
(05-08-2015, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by tringworldso

I miss those days :(
SolidSnakex
(05-08-2015, 08:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Guymelef

Man, the trident IGA-Kojima-Yamane must be together in his game.

Yamane is basically a lock since she's still active in the industry. Kojima is the big question mark. She hasn't worked on game art since HoD.
John Rabbit
Banned
(05-08-2015, 09:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Jotamide

i think you're greatly exaggerating the popularity/awareness of SotN. it's "most revered" amongst a relatively small population of gamers.
Finale Fireworker
(05-08-2015, 09:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Jotamide

Originally Posted by John Rabbit

i think you're greatly exaggerating the popularity/awareness of SotN. it's "most revered" amongst a relatively small population of gamers.

This is very true. Castlevania is not a popular series. It is a beloved, quality, hardcore series that has few games that ever saw huge success.
jett
D-Member
(05-08-2015, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Weltall Zero

But there is no discussion at all, Anna is just dead weight after the intro (or a least all the bits I've seen of it skipping ahead). Having everything repeated twice makes this unwatchable. Hopefully someone will stitch together the subbed parts.

Agreed. No offense to Ben Judd but they should've edited out his Japanese and English translations. Way too much stoppage.
JeanGrey
(05-08-2015, 09:08 PM)
I love SotN. I still play it on my ps3. Can't wait.
krizzx
(05-08-2015, 09:20 PM)
Whoops, wrong thread.

Though, this is kind of hard to watch. Such long intervals between conversations do to the constantly having to translate.