• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Cheesemeister
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:18 AM)
Cheesemeister's Avatar
New thread for news. Major props to @gibbogame for his help and persistence!

Japanese: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library...0508qa/03.html
English: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/libr...0508qa/03.html

Official translation:

Q7: When you were asked if you would lift the region locks at the Financial Results Briefing six months ago, you answered that you would take it into consideration. Please explain the current situation.

A7: Iwata: My understanding is that it is not realistic on the existing video game systems because unlocking them after they are already on the market poses a number of hurdles. On the other hand, regarding NX, we understand that many consumers hold such opinions and such suggestions exist in the market, and although we have nothing concrete at the moment, we are internally analyzing what hurdles exist to lifting region locks. That is the situation right now. We acknowledge your request, and I personally want to give it positive consideration.

My unofficial translation...

Q7: At the financial results briefing 6 months ago, you said that you would consider removing region-locking in response to a question asking about it. Could you please provide an update on the progress of that deliberation?

A7: Iwata: Removing region-locking from current game machines presents various issues, so we don't consider that to be very realistic. However, regarding NX, given the customer feedback and proposals from the market, while nothing has been decided yet, we're currently investigating internally what problems there would be in realizing it. You can think of that as the current situation. I understand your desire, so I'd like to look at it optimistically going forward.

For what it's worth, the exact same word for looking forward optimistically (前向き) was used in A3, where Iwata was telling Miyamoto his reactions from the meeting with NBC Universal in regards to a theme park deal.

So, yeah.

Previously:
Iwata addresses region-locking at Nintendo investor Q&A
#NintendoRegionFree 2014 STARTS NOW!
Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-st...-u-region-free
Twitter: Follow @EndRegionLock, tweet to Nintendo under #EndRegionLocking and #NintendoRegionFree.
Last edited by Cheesemeister; 05-14-2015 at 02:01 PM.
H3XAntiStyle
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:21 AM)
H3XAntiStyle's Avatar
OOOOOHHHHH BOY.

LET'S DO IT!

That way I can just import an NX a few days early haha!
Garrett Hawke
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:21 AM)
Garrett Hawke's Avatar

Removing region-locking from current game machines presents various issues

Doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for 3DS modders...
CO_Andy
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:22 AM)
CO_Andy's Avatar
Getting access to Japan's VC library would be monumental. They get 20x more titles than what we get on our front.
Krappadizzle
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:23 AM)
Krappadizzle's Avatar
So he's saying "Maybe next time ya'll" pretty much?
Shaanyboi
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:23 AM)
Shaanyboi's Avatar
It's something but I won't pop the champagne until they say for good that they're done with it.
Olengie
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:23 AM)
Olengie's Avatar
What problems would there be if Nintendo decided to make it region free?
SatoAilDarko
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:24 AM)
SatoAilDarko's Avatar
This is by far the closest Nintendo has gotten. As Iwata directly addresses feedback and says they are looking at it optimistically.
ArtHands
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:24 AM)
6 months is not enough for them to come to a conclusion? Sorry Nintendo, but I don't think anyone can defend that.
Regulus Tera
Romanes Eunt Domus
(05-10-2015, 05:25 AM)
Regulus Tera's Avatar
I remember back in the Game Boy days something about Yamauchi saying that their portables were region free because they wanted to encourage people traveling abroad to buy games before their flights without having to worry about compatibility.

Bring back Yamauchi, in zombie form if necessary!
Cheesemeister
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:26 AM)
Cheesemeister's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olengie

What problems would there be if Nintendo decided to make it region free?

Exactly. They'd have to notify publishers and retailers of the policy change, ask publishers if they wanted any past titles to be exempt from going region-free, and update the firmware to skip a single if statement. It shouldn't be very hard at all.
Sandfox
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:26 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for 3DS modders...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the business aspect, not the code.
-Pyromaniac-
(05-10-2015, 05:26 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Olengie

What problems would there be if Nintendo decided to make it region free?

People would be too happy.
yami4ct
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:26 AM)
yami4ct's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olengie

What problems would there be if Nintendo decided to make it region free?

I believe speculation (not sure if it was confirmed, honestly) was that this was originally done to prevent reveres importation. The yen was as such that buying games outside of japan was way cheaper, so Nintendo wanted to prevent that.

As for taking it out, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe the region locks are on a part of the system that would be very difficult to get rid of with new firmware and that modders having different levels of access is what makes it possible for them. Either that or weird business deals stop it. Either way, if they don't do it going forward with new systems than it's fine.
evanmisha
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:26 AM)
evanmisha's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olengie

What problems would there be if Nintendo decided to make it region free?

Something something content licensing deals
InsaneZero
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:27 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Doesn't seem to be that much of an issue for 3DS modders...

He's most likely referring to legal issues rather than technical.
Lynd7
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:27 AM)
Lynd7's Avatar
I'd assume digital purchases from the eShop would have to remain locked though right?
Zombie James
(05-10-2015, 05:28 AM)
Zombie James's Avatar

...we're currently investigating internally what problems there would be in realizing it.

Just don't include region checking. Done. I don't understand why this is so difficult for them.
Maximo
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:28 AM)
Maximo's Avatar
What problems there might be? Guess he means not being able to price gouge the fuck out of certain countries.
Garrett Hawke
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:29 AM)
Garrett Hawke's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the business aspect, not the code.

Originally Posted by InsaneZero

He's most likely referring to legal issues rather than technical.

Well that's even less of a good excuse considering the other two big console manufacturers have no region locked games.
Cheesemeister
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:29 AM)
Cheesemeister's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lynd7

I'd assume digital purchases from the eShop would have to remain locked though right?

Ideally, we'd be able to choose which region's eShop to visit and have our currency converted for foreign purchases. It sucks not having access to region-specific download-only titles like Shovel Knight, Virtual Console, etc.
bodyboarder
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:29 AM)
bodyboarder's Avatar
Gotta love CEO speak.
Sandfox
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:30 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Well that's even less of a good excuse considering the other two big console manufacturers have no region locked games.

But they didn't make that change in the middle of a product's lifespan.
Olengie
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:31 AM)
Olengie's Avatar
Like almost everyone else, I am down for Region-Free
BlackJace
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:31 AM)
BlackJace's Avatar
Honestly, this sounds like a "Eh wait till our next thing".

Not entirely satisfied, but it's better than nothing I guess.
yami4ct
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:31 AM)
yami4ct's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Well that's even less of a good excuse considering the other two big console manufacturers have no region locked games.

It's possible there are weird publishing deals with region locking built in and making the firmware selectively enable region locking for certain titles might be tricky. Assuming the worst as easy, but since we just don't know anything it's hard to judge either way.
krypt0nian
Banned
(05-10-2015, 05:31 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

But they didn't make that change in the middle of a product's lifespan.

xbox one came out in China with region locks, then removed them because of customer outcry.


Your move, Nintendo.
VashTS
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:31 AM)
VashTS's Avatar
I guess the original DS being region free totally didn't work out for nintendo at all apparently. /S
Sandfox
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:33 AM)
Sandfox's Avatar

Originally Posted by krypt0nian

xbox one came out in China with region locks, then removed them because of customer outcry.


Your move, Nintendo.

I'm not going to pretend I know what kind of deals Nintendo has in place so I'm just going it leave it alone and look forward to their next platform being region free.
krypt0nian
Banned
(05-10-2015, 05:33 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sandfox

I'm not going to pretend I know what kind of deals Nintendo has in place so I'm just going it leave it alone and look forward to their next platform being region free.

I'd love to hear their "problems" because until that time I hear nonsense.
IceIpor
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:34 AM)
IceIpor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Well that's even less of a good excuse considering the other two big console manufacturers have no region locked games.

No, but the problem remains that the contracts that they have already signed & setup with distributors/publishers/companies might prevent them from releasing a region-free patch.
Unlike Sony & MS's contracts, which probably includes that the software needs to be region-free.

For example, what happens if they signed a contract with a company that supplies them with the current region-locking hardware/software? They probably can't just annul it without a fine that they would rather not pay.
Agent Unknown
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:35 AM)
Agent Unknown's Avatar
Really bummed they won't remove the locks for Wii U and 3DS (if modders can why can't they?) but this is definitely a much more positive tone from Iwata on the issue so hopefully they're changing their stance for the future. There's really no excuse, especially when the rest of their portables were region free and with Vita, PS4 and XB1 all open it just makes them look obstinate and unreasonable.

Anyways, grain of salt but it's something to hopefully look forward to next round. Kudos to Cheesmeister, Gibbons and the Region Free tweet feed for hammering away at this.
Stone Ocean
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:35 AM)
Stone Ocean's Avatar
Good old creating issues where there are none
Iorv3th
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:36 AM)
Iorv3th's Avatar
He really doesn't want north America to be able to use the non xl new 3ds.
krypt0nian
Banned
(05-10-2015, 05:37 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar

Originally Posted by IceIpor

No, but the problem remains that the contracts that they have already signed & setup with distributors/publishers/companies might prevent them from releasing a region-free patch.
Unlike Sony & MS's contracts, which probably includes that the software needs to be region-free.

For example, what happens if they signed a contract with a company that supplies them with the current region-locking hardware/software? They probably can't just annul it without a fine that they would rather not pay.

May. Until Nintendo says that it's just a fake message board defense.
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(05-10-2015, 05:37 AM)
Ushojax's Avatar
That sounds as if the NX might be region free. I won't hold my breath.
entremet
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:38 AM)
entremet's Avatar
OP is pretty persistent.

Gotta give him props.
Dunkley
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:39 AM)
Dunkley's Avatar
Nice, sounds just as much a confirmation as their statements on skin color options in Animal Crossing.
InsaneZero
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:39 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Garrett Hawke

Well that's even less of a good excuse considering the other two big console manufacturers have no region locked games.

The reason why Nintendo has potential legal problem is because they enforced region locking in the first place, so products that were intended for one region is expected to be only playable in that region. Nintendo will have to renegotiate with their partners for every title released for the 3DS/WiiU and determine if they would allow those to be playable in other regions. This is a huge effort that probably would be a hassle for everyone involved, so it's easier for Nintendo to simply do things over with the NX instead.

That being said, this reason just highlights the fact that region-locking was a terrible idea in the first place.

awaiting the obligatory "which partners" response
Giever
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:39 AM)
Giever's Avatar
If you aren't going to remove region locking for the current systems then please release the regular fucking new 3DS in NA.
IceIpor
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:40 AM)
IceIpor's Avatar

Originally Posted by krypt0nian

May. Until Nintendo says that it's just a fake message board defense.

Wow. Of course they signed contracts for their parts, so no. It's not a fake message board defense.

What would you say to a company lost earnings because a company decided to break contract and not order parts from them anymore, per a signed agreement? Lawsuit most likely.

It's not a simple matter. Nintendo made their bed, and now they need to examine the consequences of backing out of it before going forward.
Hugstable
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:40 AM)
Hugstable's Avatar
That quote makes it sound like it definitely ain't gonna be happening anytime soon or in the future lol
Goldmund
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:40 AM)
Goldmund's Avatar

Originally Posted by Olengie

What problems would there be if Nintendo decided to make it region free?

Maybe it's about winning over their subsidiaries? They should have some influence on what is and what isn't published in their markets, so every mere suggestion (not) to localize and publish might ascend to the rank of a vanity project. Could be the only thing they have.
krypt0nian
Banned
(05-10-2015, 05:41 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar

Originally Posted by IceIpor

Wow. Of course they signed contracts for their parts, so no. It's not a fake message board defense.

What would you say to a company lost earnings because a company decided to break contract and not order parts from them anymore, per a signed agreement? Lawsuit most likely.

It's not a simple matter. Nintendo made their bed, and now they need to examine the consequences of backing out of it before going forward.


It's firmware. it's in software. It's just an excuse.
yami4ct
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:41 AM)
yami4ct's Avatar

Originally Posted by InsaneZero

The reason why Nintendo has potential legal problem is because they enforced region locking in the first place, so products that were intended for one region is expected to be only playable in that region. Nintendo will have to renegotiate with their partners for every title released for the 3DS/WiiU and determine if they would allow those to be playable in other regions. This is a huge effort that probably would be a hassle for everyone involved, so it's easier for Nintendo to simply do things over with the NX instead.

That being said, this reason just highlights the fact that region-locking was a terrible idea in the first place.

awaiting the obligatory "which partners" response


I will never understand why they decided to region lock all games on 3DS instead of making it optional like Sony has done. Maybe something in the hardware makes it harder? Just didn't think about it? Optional region lock fixes most problems. Pubs that want it can have it and those that don't care can leave it off.
Bulbasaur
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:41 AM)
Bulbasaur's Avatar
niiiice
ViewtifulJC
call me Mr. Krabs
(05-10-2015, 05:42 AM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
"After further investigation, we found that region locking is the fuckin' best thing ever, for reasons that only make sense to us in Nintendoland. That concludes our Q&A for today. Goodbye!"
Finale Fireworker
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:43 AM)
Finale Fireworker's Avatar
Did modders find a way to successfully unlock the n3DS in such a way that doesn't require a constant internet connection? Last I heard it had not been done. I think the goal was to completely change the region identifier in the system to make it think it was a NA device?
toddhunter
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:43 AM)
toddhunter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Maximo

What problems there might be? Guess he means not being able to price gouge the fuck out of certain countries.

Essentially. They would have distribution deals stating they will region lock to preserve profit margins.

The best we can take out of this is that there is no real reason for them to have region locking. It also shows how all the people who have defended it over the years for some reason were completely and utterly wrong.
Cheesemeister
Member
(05-10-2015, 05:44 AM)
Cheesemeister's Avatar

Originally Posted by yami4ct

I will never understand why they decided to region lock all games on 3DS instead of making it optional like Sony has done. Maybe something in the hardware makes it harder? Just didn't think about it? Optional region lock fixes most problems. Pubs that want it can have it and those that don't care can leave it off.

Region-locking was optional on Xbox 360, leading to a huge mish-mash of titles that were region-free, some that weren't, and some that varied by region. In order to buy anything out-of-region, you had to refer to a giant compatibility list. It wasn't practical or convenient at all. I, for one, just stopped buying Xbox 360 games altogether and went with the region-free PS3 versions by default.

Thread Tools