• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved Trailer (UE4, Dinosaur Island Survival, Beta Signup, MORPHEUS!)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I was on board and everything sounded great until the locking you up/ enslaving / using your blood or feces / force feeding you/ eating your own poop to kill yourself/ considering adding a suicide trigger part.

That sounds like the ravings of a crazy man tbh, and now I can't take anything in this FAQ seriously.

Will wait for the actual game to be on First Access to get an idea, but all that sounds downright terrible (for the online play, but at least it has offline local play).

That stuff sounds great to me! Some new ideas. Sure people are scared of griefing, but that is why Early Access is here; to balance things.

Those aspects are what I am most excited about for online play. Just rolling with the punches and becoming immersed. Who cares if I got abducted while trying to build a base. My goal then shifts to how to kill or escape my captors.

Yeah, that part didn't make sense to me either. Who would want to play this game as a captive blood donor constantly in a drugged-up stupor? How long would you be stuck in that state? And what kind of player wants to do that to others? "It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again". I'm guessing that part gets removed.

Me, that's who. Role playing a lunatic canibal who keeps some fresh meat in reserve sounds like fun.
tumblr_inline_mp45zj2D6s1qz4rgp.gif

FinKL

The whole slavery thing is a little off putting. Being captured doesn't sound like a fun time and even keeping someone alive doesn't sound like something I would want to be doing. Maybe it's for PvP progression, who knows.

Saw a long video of an early build of this on YouTube a couple months ago that was taken down and I've been waiting for more info on it ever since. I'm sold, as the whole hunting and riding dinosaurs thing has me completely intrigued. I'm all over the beta and early access.

I'm guessing that video is long gone. Any takeaways from it? Close to the trailer?

Warablo

Will definitely buy, but I hope the Xbox One version has servers or something, so you can find people to play with.. I hate that about Minecraft/Terraria and other games.

Please highly moddable, please highly moddable.

I want to just loafing around the island, looking dinosaurs on their natural habitat, and fucking blow them with RPG.
They mentioned in the interview it will be one of the first UE4 games with full mod support. They also plan to include anything really cool the community makes in the final release if it makes sense.

I hate the poop stuff though. I have a strong aversion to that, but hopefully it's not too prominent because this game sounds freaking amazing.

pants

I was on board and everything sounded great until the locking you up/ enslaving / using your blood or feces / force feeding you/ eating your own poop to kill yourself/ considering adding a suicide trigger part.

That sounds like the ravings of a crazy man tbh, and now I can't take anything in this FAQ seriously.

Will wait for the actual game to be on First Access to get an idea, but all that sounds downright terrible (for the online play, but at least it has offline local play).

Yeah, that part didn't make sense to me either. Who would want to play this game as a captive blood donor constantly in a drugged-up stupor? How long would you be stuck in that state? And what kind of player wants to do that to others? "It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again". I'm guessing that part gets removed.
Reign of kings have similar mechanics and it's fucking fantastic

I'm all for the captive system and will be a good sport about it if I ever get captured, adds a lot to any RP you wish to do and opens the door to great raiding parties to free members from enemy tribes.

Tagyhag

Looks neat, I'm not going to get hyped for yet another survival game, especially one with dinosaurs in it. Definitely will wait for the full release.

I'm all for the captive system and will be a good sport about it if I ever get captured, adds a lot to any RP you wish to do and opens the door to great raiding parties to free members from enemy tribes.
Role playing? Hey tribe, they caught Jimmy and there making him eat dinosaur shit high on lsd. Let's save him....

Dammit, they caught us all and now we will spend the next year being kept alive in a cage eating dinosaur shit. Yeah that would be funny at first but what if that becomes the meta game?

baterism

They mentioned in the interview it will be one of the first UE4 games with full mod support. They also plan to include anything really cool the community makes in the final release if it makes sense.

Amazing. I'll get it the moment it available. I don't even care if it's Early Access.

Isurus

The whole slavery thing is a little off putting. Being captured doesn't sound like a fun time and even keeping someone alive doesn't sound like something I would want to be doing. Maybe it's for PvP progression, who knows.

I'm guessing that video is long gone. Any takeaways from it? Close to the trailer?

Graphics-wise, it was fairly close to the trailer. That being said, it was clearly an early build, as the world was relatively sparse as far as dinosaurs/wildlife went. Additionally, the only weapon used was a bow and arrow. Regardless, it looked like it had a lot of potential and was running very smoothly. Glad to see it resurface.

And, yes, video is long gone. The account it was on was banned shortly after.

Next week, probably around Wednesday? NDA will be in place to withhold footage until June 2nd though...

That's no problem. I'm not too bothered about discussing it I'm just itching to test it out. Will have to keep an eye out on my emails next week then, typically these individual Beta's I sign up for get lost in the floods of emails by falling into my main inbox if I'm not keeping an eye out specifically.

FinKL

Graphics-wise, it was fairly close to the trailer. That being said, it was clearly an early build, as the world was relatively sparse as far as dinosaurs/wildlife went. Additionally, the only weapon used was a bow and arrow. Regardless, it looked like it had a lot of potential and was running very smoothly. Glad to see it resurface.

And, yes, video is long gone. The account it was on was banned shortly after.

Very good to hear! I'm incredibly hyped for something that popped out of nowhere and being put out there for everyone to mess around with. Just have my doubts like everyone else, so this bodes well.

Pachimari

Just applied for the alpha. I didn't know we were supposed to do that. Thought the full release were about now. Anyway, hope I get in.

The one thing I want them to do is just turn down the bloom a bit. It is the default UE4 value right now which is rather overbearing. Anything that has the tiniest bit of specular turns into a mirror essentially (it also leads to more visual aliasing for fdistant specular objects).

The one thing I want them to do is just turn down the bloom a bit. It is the default UE4 value right now which is rather overbearing. Anything that has the tiniest bit of specular turns into a mirror essentially (it also leads to more visual aliasing for fdistant specular objects).

Yeah you can see it in the trailer - the wings are reflective which makes no sense.

Thankfull they have full UE4 editor modding support so you can change whatever you want :)

FinKL

I heard there's a wave of invites going out tomorrow (Friday)
They were in touch with people Wednesday, if you didn't get an email then you're not going to get a key today.

I think the 1st wave is either extremely limited and/or they mentioned in the email not to talk about it as I've browsed reddit and steam discussion and haven't seen a single person claiming getting in.

There is also a NDA for the footage so we probably won't get any video. We'll know later in the day when keys are out when players in-game spike on SteamDB
it is NDA'd yeah

kinda sucks :(

I'll try and get some footage recorded for possible release after game is out. Will have to talk to the devs
Did you get in, if you can disclose.

This looks to be a really ambitious title from a relatively unknown, smaller developer. I hope they can do everything they set out to do with this game and it isn't too downgraded on consoles.

Top Bottom