• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGaf Help Me Decide Between IPS or TN Monitor

Banned
So I'm planning on buying a g-sync monitor this summer. I've been gaming on a 24" Samsung sync master at 60hz and 1080p since 2009. It's time for the higher refresh rates and larger screen.

At the moment I'm eyeing a 27" panel and 1440p. I prefer down sampling instead of native 4k. 4k monitors are expensive and it's almost impossible to run 60fps at 4k unless you got a stupid setup with like tri-SLI lol.

What I've learned is TN is the most common LCD panel, it refreshes quicker and has less lag, but colours can appear washed out and viewing angles are shitty.

IPS has excellent colours and viewing angles but usually has more lag and slower refreshes. But PC gamers everywhere shit their pants in excitement when ACER released the XB270HU which was the worlds first 144hz IPS Gsync panel.

That sounds great and all but it's $1000, 25-50% more expensive then other Gsync panels that are 144hz but are TN Panels.

So my theory is this:

When you're gaming on your PC you're generally in one position so viewing angle shouldn't be too much of a factor. And a higher refresh rate is great. But colours might look washed out.

IPS seems to be better with still images and movies, such as video and photo editing or using it to watch a film. That's where the colours and viewing angles seem to matter.

So why are gamers so excited about IPS monitors? Shouldn't a TN more then suffice for gaming only?

I'm asking because I'd rather buy a cheaper TN panel at 144hz with Gsync and not regret it down the line but I feel like I'd be missing out on an IPS.

I'd love the opinions and reviews of you guys who've purchased or experience the difference between the two panels for gaming (I don't edit or watch movies on my PC) and a guy who prefers his high frame rates and 1080p+ resolutions.

Good colors still matter when playing games, same if you watch movies.

Sure it's even more important when editing but it makes a difference in normal use too.

Actually viewing angles have given me trouble too especially when you have multiple monitors and don't have an ideal position in front of a monitor.

inner-G

Banned
I say IPS but I'm sure many will disagree.

I game on an iMac IPS screen via bootcamp and it looks amazing to me

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
I went TN. I bought a BenQ TN panel and a Asus PB248 IPS panel and compared the two side by side.

IPS color accuracy, viewing angles, and beauty are unmatched. However, there was enough ghosting FOR ME to notice and prefer the 1ms display. Blacks on the TN were much better than the IPS, too, which appeared dark grey not black.

When it came to gaming, I chose the TN because i wanted the fastest possible refresh rate. The IPS in comparison to the TN felt like there was motion blur on every turn.

Edit: I just want to add that it depends on how picky you are. I work in visual design and motion graphics and notice the ghosting, but literally NO ONE ELSE has ever noticed when they game on my IPS monitor.

Jams775

So I'm planning on buying a g-sync monitor this summer. I've been gaming on a 24" Samsung sync master at 60hz and 1080p since 2009. It's time for the higher refresh rates and larger screen.

At the moment I'm eyeing a 27" panel and 1440p. I prefer down sampling instead of native 4k. 4k monitors are expensive and it's almost impossible to run 60fps at 4k unless you got a stupid setup with like tri-SLI lol.

What I've learned is TN is the most common LCD panel, it refreshes quicker and has less lag, but colours can appear washed out and viewing angles are shitty.

IPS has excellent colours and viewing angles but usually has more lag and slower refreshes. But PC gamers everywhere shit their pants in excitement when ACER released the XB270HU which was the worlds first 144hz IPS Gsync panel.

That sounds great and all but it's $1000, 25-50% more expensive then other Gsync panels that are 144hz but are TN Panels.

So my theory is this:

When you're gaming on your PC you're generally in one position so viewing angle shouldn't be too much of a factor. And a higher refresh rate is great. But colours might look washed out.

IPS seems to be better with still images and movies, such as video and photo editing or using it to watch a film. That's where the colours and viewing angles seem to matter.

So why are gamers so excited about IPS monitors? Shouldn't a TN more then suffice for gaming only?

I'm asking because I'd rather buy a cheaper TN panel at 144hz with Gsync and not regret it down the line but I feel like I'd be missing out on an IPS.

I'd love the opinions and reviews of you guys who've purchased or experience the difference between the two panels for gaming (I don't edit or watch movies on my PC) and a guy who prefers his high frame rates and 1080p+ resolutions.

It's the vertical viewing angle that usually really sucks and can change easily. I have a Benq 24" 144hz display and the viewing angles suck. If I hunch or sit up just a little straighter you can see the difference from the op of the monitor to the bottom. I'd recommend if you do go for a TN panel then really check out what people have to say about the vertical angles first. If you can check one out first do it. Move your head up and down and watch the top and bottom of the screen change their contrast or gamma or whatever it is that changes.

Leb

The great thing about LCDs is that regardless of the underlying panel technology, one or more critical aspects of the experience are going to suck. Enjoy!

Banned
I went TN. I bought a BenQ TN panel and a Asus PB248 IPS panel and compared the two side by side.

IPS color accuracy, viewing angles, and beauty are unmatched. However, there was enough ghosting FOR ME to notice and prefer the 1ms display. Blacks on the TN were much better than the IPS, too, which appeared dark grey not black.

When it came to gaming, I chose the TN because i wanted the fastest possible refresh rate. The IPS in comparison to the TN felt like there was motion blur on every turn.

Edit: I just want to add that it depends on how picky you are. I work in visual design and motion graphics and notice the ghosting, but literally NO ONE ELSE has ever noticed when they game on my IPS monitor.
Ghosting will piss me the fuck right off.

I have an IPS monitor (Dell U2410) and I have never noticed ghosting. So to me, the only reason to buy TN is because you don't have the money for something better. Otherwise, IPS all the way.

It's the vertical viewing angle that usually really sucks and can change easily. I have a Benq 24" 144hz display and the viewing angles suck. If I hunch or sit up just a little straighter you can see the difference from the op of the monitor to the bottom. I'd recommend if you do go for a TN panel then really check out what people have to say about the vertical angles first. If you can check one out first do it. Move your head up and down and watch the top and bottom of the screen change their contrast or gamma or whatever it is that changes.

With some monitors, especially larger ones, you don't even have to move your head to see the difference. Try displaying a solid field of grey on some TN panels, and you'll see a gradient between the top and bottom of the screen even without moving your head up and down.

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
Ghosting will piss me the fuck right off.

The IPS I have is rated at 6ms (Gray to Gray) Response Time. The Benq is 1ms. I noticed the difference largely because it was side by side, so you may not. Look up your current spec monitor and see your refresh rate and are you happy with how that looks?

The other factor was input lag. I play all my consoles and PC on the BenQ now because the input lag is way better than any TV on game mode. I'm extremely sensitive to input lag now (THANKS BENQ) and can't play serious games on my 60" sony (which is rated at 24ms input lag... very low for 60").

joeyjoejoe

Neo Member
I have an IPS monitor (Dell U2410) and I have never noticed ghosting. So to me, the only reason to buy TN is because you don't have the money for something better. Otherwise, IPS all the way.

The 'ghosting' I'm talking about is so insignificant at 6ms or less for more people. Unfortunately, my eyes are tuned to see it. And it sucks because IPS colors are sooo nice comparatively.

What happened was I got a 1ms TN panel and did a side by side. After that, I see ghosting in all IPS panels. It's like the first time you got an IPS. "These colors look fine" (Assuming your pre-IPS monitor wasn't a junker). But once you see the IPS colors, you know how good everything can look.

Tenebrous

I started with a BenQ 2411T (144Hz/TN).
I then bought a Dell U2713HM.

The idea? Keep both side by side, and use the BenQ for faster paced games.

The reality? BenQ looked ugly as shit, and I was always deterred from playing games on it.

144Hz is amazing. My TF2 levels went up a notch pretty much instantly after buying the BenQ... But, that difference is just blown away by a really nice IPS panel if you're the kinda gamer who plays a lot of different genres. Seriously, even my enjoyment of Hearthstone went up after buying an IPS display, haha.

I bought a TN panel precisely for light boost which requires 120hz and the only IPS monitors that I was aware of that could reach that refresh rate were Korean monitors and even then it was iffy.

I do have a multi-monitor setup. Best of both worlds. The LG TV I'm using as a monitor destroys the Asus (which isn't fair since light boost really washes out the color).

Banned
Well my main genres are RPGs and axiom adventure which usually have vast open worlds and colourful environments. Some fps games too. Leaning towards IPS lol.

impact

Banned
Well my main genres are RPGs and axiom adventure which usually have vast open worlds and colourful environments. Some fps games too. Leaning towards IPS lol.

depending on what FPS you play I would say 144hz without a question

slightly better colors is not worth being locked to 60hz. I have a 144hz as my main and a 60hz IPS as my second monitor and you couldn't pay me to play anything on the IPS.

Mifec

slightly better colors is not worth being locked to 60hz. I have a 144hz as my main and a 60hz IPS as my second monitor and you couldn't pay me to play anything on the IPS.

I was lucky and my IPS monitor oc's to 120hz OuO

I'm thinking of getting the Acer XB270HU this winter unless something better gets out :)

SerTapTap

The great thing about LCDs is that regardless of the underlying panel technology, one or more critical aspects of the experience are going to suck. Enjoy!
Pretty much this. I go for TN due to a mix of price, they're easier to pair with other "exotic" gaming features, and I don't use weirdass viewing angles when I'm playing games anyway, and I need that low latency more than I need better colors.

Anyway where's my fucking low price OLED. Current monitor market is a mess, I'm afraid to replace my monitors for now.

Anyway where's my fucking low price OLED. Current monitor market is a mess, I'm afraid to replace my monitors for now.

An OLED monitor doesn't make sense until the phosphor decay problem is solved. Unless you want a monitor that looks like shit after 2 years of use.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I bought a TN panel precisely for light boost which requires 120hz and the only IPS monitors that I was aware of that could reach that refresh rate were Korean monitors and even then it was iffy.

I do have a multi-monitor setup. Best of both worlds. The LG TV I'm using as a monitor destroys the Asus (which isn't fair since light boost really washes out the color).

Lightboost can be used at 100-120hz depending on how you set it up.

The difference between 100-120 isn't even more than 2ms.

Banned

Well the only IPS panel with Gsync is 144hz so refresh rate wouldn't be a problem. I game at 60+ fps but usually enable vsync to stop tearing. That's why I want Gsync, so I can play over 60 without tearing.
I was lucky and my IPS monitor oc's to 120hz OuO

I'm thinking of getting the Acer XB270HU this winter unless something better gets out :)
That's what I'm eyeing since it's the only IPS at 144hz with Gsync.

Kyoufu

After going VA I can't go back to TN. If I had to choose between IPS or TN though, I still wouldn't be able to go back. You can find good/great IPS displays out there, but I recommend looking into VA for sure.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I suggest going with IPS. I find the lag difference completely unnoticeable, but difference in the viewing angle + color reproduction is very obvious.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
If you're a highly competitive gamer and all you care about is response time, TN.

For everything else, IPS.

Banned
I suggest going with IPS. I find the lag difference completely unnoticeable, but difference in the viewing angle + color reproduction is very obvious.
Well only one IPS panel has Gsync and its $1000 and on back order lol.

I say go with VA rather than either.
After going VA I can't go back to TN. If I had to choose between IPS or TN though, I still wouldn't be able to go back. You can find good/great IPS displays out there, but I recommend looking into VA for sure.

I also use an AMVA panel, a BenQ VW2230H. I would not be able to go back to TN (never tried IPS), the blacks and contrast are just too good on my AMVA panel.

low-G

If you go TN, definitely go for a BIG screen, that way viewing angles and per subpixel dithering don't bother you. (that is, sit far back enough, like a person with a HDTV)

Like someone else said, vertical viewing angles on a TN will KILL you if you sit close to your screen at all. You'll see a shift in brightness/colors just looking from the top of the screen to the bottom.

Banned
I also use an AMVA panel, a BenQ VW2230H. I would not be able to go back to TN (never tried IPS), the blacks and contrast are just too good on my AMVA panel.
The Internet is telling me to avoid VA.
If you go TN, definitely go for a BIG screen, that way viewing angles and per subpixel dithering don't bother you. (that is, sit far back enough, like a person with a HDTV)

Like someone else said, vertical viewing angles on a TN will KILL you if you sit close to your screen at all. You'll see a shift in brightness/colors just looking from the top of the screen to the bottom.
I sit less then two feet from the screen probably.

Sigh, guess i will wait for IPS to be affordable. Not spending $1000 on a monitor lol.

npa189

I would say IPS, but I am a sucker for colors. I like my cheapo LG TN panel, but it struggles with switching between high and low contrast, say I'm alt tabbing out of a game, it will need a second to readjust to desktop, especially text. I can't really explain it well, but I chalk it up to being a $130 monitor.

I would say IPS, but I am a sucker for colors. I like my cheapo LG TN panel, but it struggles with switching between high and low contrast, say I'm alt tabbing out of a game, it will need a second to readjust to desktop, especially text. I can't really explain it well, but I chalk it up to being a $130 monitor.

Does your TN panel have Dynamic Contrast enabled in the settings?

Nibiru

Banned
IPS all the way. I haven't noticed ghosting on mine at all but maybe if I played CS:GO I might. I play a whole bunch of differnet games, GTA V, Hearthstone, PoE, Realm Reborn and all of them look sooo much better with my ips. I have tested it with Titanfall and no ghosting either.

All of them look incredible but Hearthstone was the biggest surprise. I can't really describe how much better it looks except that I can really appreciate the artwork on the cards now. Realm Reborn also looks like a whole new game. I have a TN next to the ips and tbh it looks like shit.

I hate reading threads like this. I'm happy with my 2 VH236 from asus. Then I read threads like this that tell me I'm missing out :(

The Internet is telling me to avoid VA.

"The internet" is wrong. Black levels and contrast are more important than colour accuracy for games, and your naked eye isn't going to detect any minute difference in colour accuracy between a good calibrated VA panel and its IPS counterpart.

There's a reason why all the expensive $2000+ HDTVs use VA panels. Blacks that are presented as light shade of grey make for a terrible viewing experience for games and media.

Mifec

Well the only IPS panel with Gsync is 144hz so refresh rate wouldn't be a problem. I game at 60+ fps but usually enable vsync to stop tearing. That's why I want Gsync, so I can play over 60 without tearing.

That's what I'm eyeing since it's the only IPS at 144hz with Gsync.

Well that's currently the best gaming monitor, so you can't go wrong with that, also 1440p :3

HooYaH

People needs to list some monitors in this thread. It seems Acer and Asus Gsync are great for gaming but plagued by QC issues. What are some good VA panels?

Grief.exe

I say go with VA rather than either.

The Acer XB270HU is the best monitor on the market currently. It is being touted as an IPS, but it is actually a VA panel.

An OLED monitor doesn't make sense until the phosphor decay problem is solved. Unless you want a monitor that looks like shit after 2 years of use.

We all want OLED, but it's still a ways off unfortunately.

DJ_Lae

I prefer the lower input lag and better black levels of a TN panel, although I wonder if being colour-impaired plays some role in me caring less about colours on an IPS panel.

Either way, I do notice black levels and I don't bob my head around while sitting in front of my PC. I have two IPS monitors at work and being able to see them better at an angle doesn't really come into play unless I'm sitting at someone else's desk while they go through something.

Price being lower on TN stuff helps too.

x3sphere

maybe, no one really knows the lifespan of current OLEDs. There are people who have had the LG sets for more than a year with no issues. And as far as I know LG's WRGB approach doesn't have the same problems early Samsung OLEDs had with the blue pixel decaying faster.

That said, it makes no sense to produce an OLED monitor in the current market. A 1080p OLED monitor might be cost viable, but no one wants 1080p anymore - it wouldn't sell. Yields on 4K OLED still aren't good, given a 55" 4K OLED costs $5000 I'd imagine a smaller 4K monitor around 32" would cost at least $2000, and there is really no market for such a high priced monitor in the consumer space.

My guess is, by next year or 2017 when LG can get the costs down below $1500 (pretty much the maxmium of what the monitor market can bear) is when we''ll see an OLED monitor

Durante

The Acer XB270HU is the best monitor on the market currently. It is being touted as an IPS, but it is actually a VA panel.
It's a bit confusing, but like the post above says, AHVA is actually IPS-type.

It also has IPS-like contrast, sadly. (The one drawback of the XB270HU)

I prefer the lower input lag and better black levels of a TN panel
TN doesn't have better black levels than IPS. Good TN panels and IPS both sit at around 1000:1 static contrast ratio.

(VA technology monitors are around 3000:1 to 5000:1)

Grief.exe

It is a panel that uses IPS like tech from a competing manufacturer. Like PLS from Samsung. Its called an AHVA panel which is an unfortunate naming scheme because it is essentially an IPS type.

Edit: source http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

It's a bit confusing, but like the post above says, AHVA is actually IPS-type.

It also has IPS-like contrast, sadly. (The one drawback of the XB270HU)

TN doesn't have better black levels than IPS. Good TN panels and IPS both sit at around 1000:1 static contrast ratio.

(VA technology monitors are around 3000:1 to 5000:1)

Interesting, thanks.

Top Bottom