• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Galactic Civilizations III Hype up in here 4x GAF??

Jackano

I'm really excited for this game

to go on a steam sale

yes, I am what's wrong with the industry

TBH, I'll do the same. Not proud of this, it will be the first time I do this (I don't play on PC/buy on steam that much anyway).

I just have too much things to play and already have 1- a decent amount of money spent on games this year (and Splatoon is on its way this month); And 2- the time consuming aspect of this game, I'll take any excuse to delay the fact I'll be sucked into it for months. And I already spent 3 months on Football Manager so, no way.

On the other side, I did rebuy GalCiv2 two years ago on steam, so, Stardock will forgive me :)

Anyway looks good, and if GalCiv2 past experience can tell, waiting several updates will help with content and performance.
GalCiv2 was awesome and nearly perfect, so I expect GalCiv3 just expanding over it and it will be a hit.

delirium

Wish I could get hyped for it, but after playing Distant Worlds, it is pretty hard to play any other 4x space game. Distant Worlds gameplay with improved graphics would be HNGGGGGGGGG!
Man, I feel you. Distant Worlds felt amazing. The game has some problems but the way it made the galaxy felt like a living breathing galaxy was top notch.

sniperpon

I didn't even know this was in the works!

When I was a kid, before I had my own PC, I gamed on the various PCs that my dad and I built. But they were his PCs at the end of the day, so he got final say on operating systems. And he was a massive OS/2 fan. So once the DOS era shifted to Win95, I was locked out of the PC gaming market.

However, as a result I played pretty much every major OS/2 game that came out. Galciv was my favorite. It's cool to see that it has spawned a couple of sequels.

Incidentally, my second favorite game was Trials of Battle.

I just played it for five hours straight ._.

Wish the combat was like Homeworld or something though. Been doing auto battle.

Almighty

I enjoyed the second one quite a bit, but after being burned by Elemental I won't purchase a game from Stardock day 1 again. Stardock did try their best to make up for that horrid launch, but they weren't able to ever make that game fun for me. So I will wait for impressions and go from there.

Edit: Oops didn't notice the OP was from a few days ago.

I only want to know how to design mechs in the ship designer!

voltron.jpg

Someone made friggin' Voltron!! Once the developers/modders add the ability to have melee units we are golden!

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Freighters: Can they only be connected to alien planets? Other games typically allow you to establish trade routes within your own empire.

Would any of y'all be interested in a big ol' GAFverse game once they patch in the ability to play custom races in MP? The modding patch will be 1.1.

Steel

Banned
90% of my time playing this game last night was spent in the ship and custom race designer. This will destroy my free time, I can tell..

Kinthalis

Banned
Would any of y'all be interested in a big ol' GAFverse game once they patch in the ability to play custom races in MP? The modding patch will be 1.1.

Hell yeah!

I played for a few hours last night, as usual, it took my wife to tap me on the shoulder and tell me it was time for bed, before I stopped.

Those damn Yor! They managed to capture a planet right in between two of my colonies so now my empire is split. Gonna send some constructors to build some influence starbases. Hopefully I can take it that way. Way too early to start wars.

This is going to make waiting fo rthe Witcher to come out a breeze!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Did no one make an OT?

Nope. Someone should. I don't own the game yet so I shouldn't be doing it, lol.

I watched a steam stream of someone playing last night for a bit, the game looks fantastic. Basically an updated GC2 with better graphics, improved UI, and some neat new features. It also looks like the ship builder is better too. Can't wait to play it, I just don't have time for another new game right now. But I'll be buying it eventually, no doubt.

m_dorian

Does anyone know if GalCiv III stealth installs impulse as the GalCiv II did? I want to get the game but impulse caused some problems on my old rig.

Does anyone know if GalCiv III stealth installs impulse as the GalCiv II did? I want to get the game but impulse caused some problems on my old rig.

No-Stardock sold Impulse to Gamestop years ago, one of the reasons why they have expanded their hardcore gaming projects was due to the huge pile of cash they got from sale of Impulse.

All game code is delivered through Steam as far as I can tell.

Steel

Banned
Side note to those who haven't bought and were waiting for impression on the founder parts:

They look cool, but there aren't many of them. There's enough to add some rather unique looking decorations to your ships, but not enough to make a variety of whole ships.

I enjoyed the second one quite a bit, but after being burned by Elemental I won't purchase a game from Stardock day 1 again. Stardock did try their best to make up for that horrid launch, but they weren't able to ever make that game fun for me. So I will wait for impressions and go from there.

Its been in early access for ages, so you should have more than enough impressions.

My problem at the moment is the price considering Gal Civ 2 isn't exactly short on content if I want a 4x game.

Almighty

Its been in early access for ages, so you should have more than enough impressions.

My problem at the moment is the price considering Gal Civ 2 isn't exactly short on content if I want a 4x game.

Sure, but early access impressions might not tell the whole story or might be outdated. For instance Kerbal Space Program is a recent example of a game that had some pretty big changes introduced when it moved to 1.0 and out of early access.

Side note to those who haven't bought and were waiting for impression on the founder parts:

They look cool, but there aren't many of them. There's enough to add some rather unique looking decorations to your ships, but not enough to make a variety of whole ships.

Hmm, okay. Guess I can probably pass for now and wait for a sale then.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Kind of, but not really. Over the last few years, we've had so many 4X games come along, that I'm a little burned out on the genre. Still don't mind firing up Endless Space or Fallen Enchantress, maybe some Sins of a Solar Empire, but for now I'm in no rush to play GC3. It is quite nice that the genre is being serviced so well in recent years, however. =)

Sijil

Definitely going to buy it down the line, just too many games in the backlog as is, and GalCiv is one of those 100+ hours games for me. Heck I once spent 110 hours on a single game of Sins of a Solar Empire.

Steel

Banned
Wow. Just got wrecked by two custom civ's I made: The Great Lords of Gwynn and the Skeleton Lords who both decided to attack me at the same time. I need to make some less warlike races.... Anybody got a pict I can use to make a Barny race?

I'm really digging this so far. The production and economics model is a lot easier to grasp this time around and the way it is implemented solves a lot of the conflict between colony development and military spending. I don't think I ever want to go back to strict all-in-one production queues in a game again.

The game's a real love letter to the kind of person who's been playing 4x games for decades (and there's a lot of us). It refuses to dumb down and always chooses elegance, however intricate, over simplicity if the choice has to be made.

Jag

Kind of, but not really. Over the last few years, we've had so many 4X games come along, that I'm a little burned out on the genre. Still don't mind firing up Endless Space or Fallen Enchantress, maybe some Sins of a Solar Empire, but for now I'm in no rush to play GC3. It is quite nice that the genre is being serviced so well in recent years, however. =)

I keep buying 4x games and then I realize I don't have the patience to learn the game anymore. I'm kind of bummed because it used to be my favorite genre, but I can't seem to be able to get into any 4x except a game of Civ now and then.

GC3 is a great looking game with some great concepts, but I really just don't get the tech tree. I think I need some dumbed down 4x games now.

Teletraan1

Banned
Cant believe this is out now. Also can't believe no OT or any hype for this whatsoever. Anyone who has the game how stable is it. I am often weary of Stardock games on launch but I will probably grab it anyway knowing I am going to put thousands of hours into it over the next few years and any issues should be ironed out in that time.

Steel

Banned
Cant believe this is out now. Also can't believe no OT or any hype for this whatsoever. Anyone who has the game how stable is it. I am often weary of Stardock games on launch but I will probably grab it anyway knowing I am going to put thousands of hours into it over the next few years and any issues should be ironed out in that time.

It's pretty stable overall. Haven't run into any major problems. Well, technical ones. The AI bullies the hell out of me on gifted. The AI in this game steals your lunch just as you get to the front of the lunch line, then proceeds to spit in your face, then goes ahead and takes the snack you bought to replace your lunch and barfs in the bag, then when you're sitting in a corner crying your eyes out it goes and puts a gun to your head to put you out of your misery. But I digress.

Hari Seldon

I never played a Gal Civ before and was not in early access. There are lots of parts of the game that I am unsure about, the tooltips are lacking and the manual is pretty shit.

For example, when picking tech you sometimes have the option between shit like +10% missile range vs -10% missile mass vs -10% missile cost... I have no idea how to make this decision and no information to do so.

However overall I am still getting addicted. Perhaps my addiction right now is into figuring the game out, and will quickly fade once I do. I don't know. The game seems much deeper than Civ and I like it for that.

Edit: As far as stability goes I haven't encountered one bug or any issues at all. The game boots fast, loads games fast, you can alt-tab out no problem. No issues with any of that kind of stuff at all.

I never played a Gal Civ before and was not in early access. There are lots of parts of the game that I am unsure about, the tooltips are lacking and the manual is pretty shit.

For example, when picking tech you sometimes have the option between shit like +10% missile range vs -10% missile mass vs -10% missile cost... I have no idea how to make this decision and no information to do so.

However overall I am still getting addicted. Perhaps my addiction right now is into figuring the game out, and will quickly fade once I do. I don't know. The game seems much deeper than Civ and I like it for that.

Edit: As far as stability goes I haven't encountered one bug or any issues at all. The game boots fast, loads games fast, you can alt-tab out no problem. No issues with any of that kind of stuff at all.

The specializations in the tech tree are actually new to Gal Civ, so everyone's still getting used to them. The bonuses for the one you named break down like this:

Range is range. Pretty self explanatory.
Mass determines how much stuff you can cram into a ship. The more mass it has, the more of a ship's capacity it takes up. The lower the mass, the more of it you can fit in.
Cost is how much production it takes to make the module, effectively controlling build time.

Hari Seldon

The specializations in the tech tree are actually new to Gal Civ, so everyone's still getting used to them. The bonuses for the one you named break down like this:

Range is range. Pretty self explanatory.
Mass determines how much stuff you can cram into a ship. The more mass it has, the more of a ship's capacity it takes up. The lower the mass, the more of it you can fit in.
Cost is how much production it takes to make the module, effectively controlling build time.

Yeah I don't know how weapon range effects combat at all. I have just been choosing in the decreased mass for everything since I can see how it helps.

However I am unsure if this really helps with the default ships or if you have to use the designer to take advantage of it.

Yeah I don't know how weapon range effects combat at all. I have just been choosing in the decreased mass for everything since I can see how it helps.

However I am unsure if this really helps with the default ships or if you have to use the designer to take advantage of it.

The default ships do take advantage of lower mass, AFAIK. The problem is that they don't do so very well. Like, if it's low enough to cram 2 weapons instead of 1, they'll do that, but if there's just enough space for (say) a life support module, it'll just stay empty.

Range is... well, it's the max range you can start shooting at. You know how in the combat viewer the two fleets will start to close, then start shooting? A fleet with longer-range weapons will start shooting sooner.

Bust Nak

Played a fair bit over the weekend, didn't notices any big innovation over GalCiv2. It's also very laggy when scrolling around the map.

Teletraan1

Banned
I picked it up. Haven't had any stability problems. Everything working great so far although I haven't spent enough time with it. On first glance I am liking the tech tree specializations, the way the game handles starship production and UI improvements over the previous games. The starship creator is top notch as usual. So far pretty much the exact update to the series I was looking for.

The more lasting impression that I get after a solid weekend of play is how impressive the automation systems are in the game. They build a game that could actually be played on ridiculously sized maps, and it will actually work and be playable without each of your turns taking one billion decisions and two hours to take.

That's a pretty impressive achievement. There's a not-insignificant number of 4x players that have always wanted a game with that kind of automation support.

Shengar

Holy crap, if I hadn't open Steam storefront today I wouldn't know the game already released. I guess from Metacritic and some user review, the game is well received.

Steel

Banned
Holy crap, if I hadn't open Steam storefront today I wouldn't know the game already released. I guess from Metacritic and some user review, the game is well received.

Yeah, kinda snuck up on me too, and I've had early access since it was originally put out for $100. I'll warn you, the AI in this game is mean. Loving it.

WE NEED TO MAKE A LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES MOD

Ok so I'm loving this game but I wish the combat was fun

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
WE NEED TO MAKE A LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES MOD

Ok so I'm loving this game but I wish the combat was fun

Is the combat at least as good as Gal Civ 2's? I had hoped they might improve on the combat a bit for GC3.

I put some good time into II when it first came out, haven't thought about it much since then.

Might take a look when I finish with the Witcher.

Is the combat at least as good as Gal Civ 2's? I had hoped they might improve on the combat a bit for GC3.

Just a video based on the stats of units. I had hoped for at least for battle plans. (Secretly dreamed for Homeworld style battles)

Ground combat is just a textbox but they said they're patching something in.

Top Bottom