• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

Chobel

http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/14/sony-no-mans-sky-treated-like-a-first-party-release/

Talking to MCV, Gara went on to say that No Man’s Sky will be treated “as if it was from one of our internal studios”, citing a close working relationship with the devs and a smooth integration into their release programme.

He believes that a number of indie titles on the platform have the potential to break free from the confines of what we would normally expect from such games, and that they could expand from digital releases to physical products.

Talking about No Man’s Sky to demonstrate the level of commitment to promising indie titles, Gara said “we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it. If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform.”

Treat this as first party if old

Guess that means it's become a full exclusive then? PC version still on tap or ...

Ehh. Another reason to get a PS4.

Assuming we actually do anything in this gaem

dugdug

Banned
Does this mean a more tight exclusivity deal? Because this quote won't mean shit when it releases on XB1.

ObiDin

Reading between the lines here, but if this means it will not come out on other platforms then boo. I don't want to have to buy a PS4 just for this, I would but I don't want to.

Im basically done with media on this game

Next showing better be a release date..

They have been showcasing this game way too much for way too long. Should have saved all this media build up for NOW

liquidtmd

Banned
That's probably because they have nothing else to put their full support behind.

giphy.gif

Steel

Banned
I'd actually agree that some indies have the potential to to create some really unique games, but treating a game that will eventually have a multiplatform release as a first-party game is kinda... Yeah....

On a side note, why aren't we hearing more buzz about the Tommorrow Children. I mean it's actually an exclusive game and it's supposed to come out this summer.

Elandyll

Banned
This makes me think there is a push for a fall 2015 release. I also guess it's going to be a big part of Sony's presser at E3, after the relative lull in the past few months following the nearly non stop barrage of communication during the end of '14.

Can't wait.

Dang. NMS done got Fergal'd.

Honestly, the only take-away from this statement is "don't read too much into it."

He's a marketing guy toeing the company line.

If Sony didn't have NMS, then he would simply substitute NMS with Battlefront. If they had Uncharted, he would've replaced it with Uncharted.

'If it all comes together as well as expected.'

What does he mean by this? As in if it indeed going to be released in 2015 – or is he referring to quality?

Anyway, it's interesting that Sony does have this attitude now of essentially licensing third-party titles in such a way so as to posit them as first-party. It's definitely different in an era of a marked decrease in platform exclusive third-party games

Begaria

I'm looking forward to checking the game out. Setting that aside,

He believes that a number of indie titles on the platform have the potential to break free from the confines of what we would normally expect from such games, and that they could expand from digital releases to physical products.

Indie dev's continuing to fill that "AA" hole that now defunct mid-tier publishers used to fill. i approve.

Top Bottom