• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

RiverKwai

Ahhh... a NMS thread! It's been too long...

Does this mean a more tight exclusivity deal? Because this quote won't mean shit when it releases on XB1.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no announced release on XB1. People are "hoping" because they've left it kind of vague - but I think it's only been announced for PS4 and PC.

I may have missed something though?

pompidu

Man gaming side is really becoming unbearable With these dumb one liners, has no gamez shit. Every other thread is filled with this type of garbage.

I actually hope this is an indication that sony is beginning to get behind other exclusives on its platform. god knows how much Persona 5 would sell if it had a decent push in the west. I want the sereis to reach new heights.

+1 with the comments about Puppeteer and other smaller games. They deserved better and should have gotten the same 1st party treatment.

STEaMkb

Thread shitting getting out of control again.

It's not about having an intelligent discussion about No Man's Sky. It's simply a continuation of the Sony has no games meme from the "Sony: 'No concerns' about software this Holiday" thread.

Specifically...

LOL; this makes me think they have no surprises for this Fall.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

It sounds to me that NMS is their big game for fall. So if they have some surprise(s), I'm sure Sony wouldn't think NMS as being their biggest game for the Holiday.

First post delivered exactly as hoped.

androvsky

Use pubfund for Joe Danger while badmouthing 3rd parties and XBL Arcade.
Then suddenly release the sequel as a 360 exclusive with no word about a Playstation release as well as never porting the new Joe Danger 1 content over to their original fans. Just some mere weeks into the release suddenly they release a better version of Joe Danger 2 on Playstation with exclusive content after they kept their mouths shut and and scammed the Xbox players into buying the 360 version.

So if you happen to be a fan of Joe Danger, you often ended up getting fucked for supporting them early on.

Hello Games wasn't happy about that situation either.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...2-coming-to-ps3-has-10-hours-of-extra-content

The original Joe Danger launched on the PS3 over two years ago, and the appearance of the sequel on Xbox 360 angered many fans. "I can totally see why," said Hello Games' Sean Murray. "I mean, they made Joe Danger and Hello Games a success. We owe them everything.

"Until now we couldn't talk about the PS3 version, which has killed me. Our plan was that we would just never talk platforms for Joe Danger 2, and everyone would just assume it was coming to both. Instead PS3 fans assumed it was never coming to their platform, or at least not for the usual one-year exclusivity. So many times over the last few months I wanted to scream "you'll just have to wait a few weeks, and you'll get the final version", but instead we couldn't say anything."

"Let's just say if there's a piece of advice I would now give to every developer in the world, it's don't ever piss off PlayStation fans," Murray said of the reaction. "They are a force to be reckoned with! If you are an indie developer, I'd say to never get yourself into a situation where you can't talk about what you are doing. We regret that. We dropped a bollock."

"That meant we needed to work with Microsoft and Sony directly, and we've done that from day one. With Microsoft it's pretty well documented that means some sort of exclusivity, but we fought hard to make that as short as possible. They were actually really supportive and genuinely have been great to work with. Doing it this way meant that PS3 fans can get the final version, just a few weeks later. We've worked really closely with Sony to make that possible."

LewieP

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no announced release on XB1. People are "hoping" because they've left it kind of vague - but I think it's only been announced for PS4 and PC.

I think they did talk about it coming to "next gen consoles", but this might have been prior to the PS4 announcement/deal was made.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Looking forward to the impression. I am not interested as of now to purchase it day one. Looks boring as hell, may be because I dont know much about it. We will see.

Ape

Banned
Did it ever occur to you that maybe there are more group requests because it's harder to find players on Xbox? Just look at the thread on GAF and see how few Xbox players there are.

Why wouldn't they just go onto Bungie's forum instead? Maybe you need to spend more time outside of this forum.

Arttemis

I'd be 100% happy with the game even if it were just exploration. 99% of my deaths in Don't Starve come from me neglecting everything else and just trying to see every inch of the gigantic, procedurally generated map.

If I can do that in space, with the graphics shown in the trailers!.. it's total satisfaction. Adding some activities to the space playground is simply icing on the cake!

Muzicfreq

Banned
I'd be 100% happy with the game even if it were just exploration. 99% of my deaths in Don't Starve come from me neglecting everything else and just trying to see every inch of the gigantic, procedurally generated map.

If I can do that in space, with the graphics shown in the trailers!.. it's total satisfaction. Adding some activities to the space playground is simply icing on the cake!
That's what they pretty much said what it is

autoduelist

If you go to a site like destinylfg.net there is usually much more xbox one group requests than ps4 ones...that says little about original sales, but just believing playstation sold more is pretty silly without any hard numbers

No, "without any hard numbers" it would be "pretty silly" to think it sold more on the One, given that we know the PS4 console is significantly outselling the One worldwide. Given that, it would be safe and normal, not "silly", to assume a multiplatform game like Destiny sold better on PS4 since it has a larger install base. Given that Destiny had the weight of Playstation advertising behind it such a assumption is even safer.

What would be "silly" is to assume it sold better on the One, in the face of not only that, but the hard numbers we actually do have. And yet people do that.

Ape

Banned
by the time this game comes out I should have a beastly PC built. so ill be running this at 1440p and a million frames per second. doing god knows what but it will look pretty.

not really that excited about it, but hey it wont be a full priced game in all likeliness so whats a few bucks?

Only announced for PS4. PC was mentioned once in an interview a long time ago were Murray mentioned being interested in bringing it to PC eventually but never said it was actually on the cards.

That makes me think they will market No Man's Sky very heavily for an indie game, which will hopefully give it a good chance to be successful. While I'm still skeptical about how good NMS will be, I respect those guy's passion for the game and hope they do well.

Plus I hope I'm very wrong about NMS and it's an amazing, landmark indie game.

mcrommert

Banned
Did it ever occur to you that maybe there are more group requests because it's harder to find players on Xbox? Just look at the thread on GAF and see how few Xbox players there are.

I know we keep pretending neogaf isn't more playstation centric...but seriously that is meaningless when talking about the full destiny community. The point is we don't know which platform sold more and so we shouldn't maintain playstation did in lieu of evidence

Muzicfreq

Banned
by the time this game comes out I should have a beastly PC built. so ill be running this at 1440p and a million frames per second. doing god knows what but it will look pretty.

not really that excited about it, but hey it wont be a full priced game in all likeliness so whats a few bucks?
Due to the nature of their engine I think resolution, frame rate, and generation speed will be the only differences. Should be really easy to run on most systems though

Abdiel

OMG HAHAHAHAHAHAH! I GET IT! ITS BECAUSE THE PS4 HAS NO GAMES! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Best reaction.

Seriously, can we at least get to E3 before claiming blanket statements for the entire year?

As though it's even a fair comparison anyway, with how Sony and Microsoft put different focus for their release schedules.

Despera

Banned

I'm interested in witnessing the different procedurally generated creatures go about their lives in their procedurally generated ecosystems.

mejin

I really don't get this string of reactions...

Pre-E3 moments...Nintendo, Microsoft, PC will certainly have the best event ever but concerns are always about Sony possibly doing nothing.
Last year Bloodborne leaked earlier so concerns were alleviated.

Kayant

For the destiny people -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-is-destiny-players-console-of-choice/1100-6423009/

People really forget how much destiny did for PS4 in September
· Destiny is currently the most-played PS4 game, with total gameplay hours 5X higher than the second most-played title
· Destiny is #1 across pre-order sales, day one sales, week one sales, and month one sales on PS Store
· Social sharing is hugely popular among Destiny players, with 450,000 hours of live gameplay broadcasted via the PS4 system’s SHARE functionality
· New PlayStation Plus memberships increased 115 percent from the week prior to Destiny’s launch
· The limited-edition Destiny PS4 bundle helped drive PS4 hardware sales to its biggest month in 2014

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/1...-for-destiny-hits-multiple-milestones/112360/

My question is what would they put on disk?
Texture files, sound and music? Everything else is generated with algorithms

It's not generated by launching the game. The entire game will exist on the disc that ships (assuming one does).

Everything procedural will have long-since been laid out when the game launches. It's not a roguelike or anything where the world will be created for each new player.

Kuraudo

Banned
My question is what would they put on disk?
Texture files, sound and music? Everything else is generated with algorithms

Well, yeah just the game's code. There'll obviously be a lot of empty space on the disc, but it would hardly be the first game to barely use the full capacity available to it.

KaiserBecks

"treating X like a first-party release" sounds like the logical next step for PR bullshit phrases like "exclusive console debut".

Muzicfreq

Banned
It's not generated by launching the game. The entire game will exist on the disc that ships (assuming one does).

Everything procedural will have long-since been laid out when the game launches. It's not a roguelike or anything where the world will be created for each new player.
The world string is on a server we connect to from what was said.

pager99

I called it but this makes me
happy that its getting a 2015 release should be awesome now just announce 2 or 3 more fall games to shut the ps4 has no gamez meme up

Chobel

I know we keep pretending neogaf isn't more playstation centric...but seriously that is meaningless when talking about the full destiny community. The point is we don't know which platform sold more and so we shouldn't maintain playstation did in lieu of evidence

concurrency.jpg

And no, that's not five platforms, as the top line most likely represents the total players across all platforms

Top Bottom