• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Global Testfire will return for one more round (Sunday 24th May - 00:00 CES)

I had something I wanted to say but posted it in a thread right before it got closed:

During the last test hour, I could barely get the hang of looking around. The strangest thing to me is that the stick only allows you to look left and right. I'm ok with the motion controls, but not being able to use both at the same time is really disorienting to me.

I'd really like to customize button maps too. Bumper jumper has been ingrained in my muscle memory for quite a while. I'd move camera reset to R3 as well, because: 1. The special move there doesn't make sense to me, and 2. It would make turning around quickly much easier. Your thumb is already there, just press it in to reset the camera.

Gsnap

I had something I wanted to say but posted it in a thread right before it got closed:

During the last test hour, I could barely get the hang of looking around. The strangest thing to me is that the stick only allows you to look left and right. I'm ok with the motion controls, but not being able to use both at the same time is really disorienting to me.

I'd really like to customize button maps too. Bumper jumper has been ingrained in my muscle memory for quite a while. I'd move camera reset to R3 as well, because the special move there doesn't make sense to me.

Turn the motion controls off and use the stick for everything.

As for the other stuff I doubt they'll let us customize it, but you'll get used to it if you try. It's not hard.

Exile20

I'd really like to customize button maps too. Bumper jumper has been ingrained in my muscle memory for quite a while. I'd move camera reset to R3 as well, because: 1. The special move there doesn't make sense to me, and 2. It would make turning around quickly much easier. Your thumb is already there, just press it in to reset the camera.
Custom button mapping would be a great addition and I doubt would be too hard to implement.

Turn the motion controls off and use the stick for everything.

As for the other stuff I doubt they'll let us customize it, but you'll get used to it if you try. It's not hard.

I like the idea of using the motion controls, but the problem is it doesn't work like I expect it to.

I know they just aren't going to give any options, but I think it's going to turn a lot of people off that they lack features most competitive shooters include.

But yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to the default when I play for more than an hour, but it's still annoying that they don't have that available.

Gsnap

I like the idea of using the motion controls, but the problem is it doesn't work like I expect it to.

I know they just aren't going to give any options, but I think it's going to turn a lot of people off that they lack features most competitive shooters include.

But yeah, I'm sure I'll get used to the default when I play for more than an hour, but it's still annoying that they don't have that available.

Eh. I guess. I've played so many video games with so many different controls that I just don't see any reason to worry about it. You just get used to it.

I actually feel that most people won't care about how much customization they have over the controls either. The only people I've seen complain about such things are a small minority on forums like this. The general public, and most people online, seem to not worry about which button is jump.

Custom button mapping would be a great addition and I doubt would be too hard to implement.

I'm really hoping it will be included with the 'big update', but I don't actually expect it.

Eh. I guess. I've played so many video games with so many different controls that I just don't see any reason to worry about it. You just get used to it.

I actually feel that most people won't care about how much customization they have over the controls either. The only people I've seen complain about such things are a small minority on forums like this. The general public, and most people online, seem to not worry about which button is jump.

Sales wise, it has no bearing at all, but longevity wise, the people still playing after a year might start to feel the effects of that kind of limitation.

You really need some time in the tutorial to just stand and look around with the gyro. Personally I prefer turning down the sensitivity to like -4 as well. I had issues with moving the gamepad to adjust the cursor, but in the frantic battles I didn't have time to figure out why it was so awkward. You have to move the Gamepad controller in space rather than tilting it and stuff. In the end it works really well and accurate, much better than regular dual stick controls.

THEY SEE ME ROLLING

THEY PAINTING

THEY TRY TO CATCH ME

ROLLING DIRTY
tumblr_no3nac04a11sgrd0do1_1280.jpg

Gsnap

Sales wise, it has no bearing at all, but longevity wise, the people still playing after a year might start to feel the effects of that kind of limitation.

The limitation of what? Not being able to change the jump button? Or the way gyro works?

Because the people playing it after a year will be used to everything by then so it won't be any trouble for them either.

Either way, I don't think the controls are going to be a problem for anyone. Casual or hardcore. They let you customize the two things that matter: Motion controls or no motion controls, and sensitivity.

If people are going to dislike the game, it won't be because of the controls.

The limitation of what? Not being able to change the jump button? Or the way gyro works?

Because the people playing it after a year will be used to everything by then so it won't be any trouble for them either.

Either way, I don't think the controls are going to be a problem for anyone. Casual or hardcore. They let you customize the two things that matter: Motion controls or no motion controls, and sensitivity.

If people are going to dislike the game, it won't be because of the controls.

I'm just saying it would be a nice thing to have, and from my experience, the more options a multiplayer game has, the longer I will stick with it. I'm not saying people are going to just drop the game after a year because they can't switch their controls. But it does go beyond options for controls.

Will they ever give us options for custom gametypes? Will they allow us to play with friends in a party? After seeing how apprehensive they are to include basic options like chat, I'm not so sure. Now, not having those kinds of things will make me stop playing after a year.

Three? gametypes, two of which are ranked only, with really limited matchmaking doesn't seem like a long sustaining multiplayer game to me. I think there's a ton of untapped potential here.

Exile20

I'm just saying it would be a nice thing to have, and from my experience, the more options a multiplayer game has, the longer I will stick with it. I'm not saying people are going to just drop the game after a year because they can't switch their controls. But it does go beyond options for controls.

Will they ever give us options for custom gametypes? Game rules, Yes.
Will they allow us to play with friends in a party? Yes.
After seeing how apprehensive they are to include basic options like chat, I'm not so sure. Now, those kinds of things will make me stop playing after a year.

there you go

both of these things are coming in August, I believe

there you go

I know we have something along the lines of what I was asking for, but we have no idea how in-depth it will be, do we? From what I understood the friend thing to be was: you either play with friends or strangers, no mix. Please someone tell me that isn't the case.

And about the custom rules, does anyone have a source on that? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Like I said before, I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm super excited about what they are doing. This is Nintendo's freshest game in years, but that doesn't mean they can't improve on it. I'm not condemning them at all, however I feel like that has been the response to what I'm saying.

Pandy

That's right during the Eurovision Song Contest. Nintendo, you can't set this on a time, when Europe's biggest party is running and queer folks are celebrating their Eurotrash, d'uh.

tumblr_inline_n56b67NTwm1qifo6j.gif
They were robbed last year. Brilliant catchy little song.

Fandangox

Man I'd love to try it out, but last time I couldn't since I had no TV, and now I am in the process of moving so I don't have my wii u right now >:V

phanphare

Banned
I know we have something along the lines of what I was asking for, but we have no idea how in-depth it will be, do we? From what I understood the friend thing to be was: you either play with friends or strangers, no mix. Please someone tell me that isn't the case.

And about the custom rules, does anyone have a source on that? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Like I said before, I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm super excited about what they are doing, this is Nintendo's freshest game in years, but that doesn't mean they can't improve on it. I'm not condemning them at all, however I feel like that has been the response to what I'm saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQsZPYB0vMw;t=27m26s

looks like you'll be able to have a friends team of 4 play other teams made up of strangers or 8 friends play each other as two teams of 4

with 8 friends looks like you'll be able to customize the rules and stuff

Pandy

You should only be using the camera reset if you find the camera is in an uncomfortable position. The button is there for setting up the camera initially, maybe at the beginning of your play session, and you shouldn't need to press it at all after that.

I used it once in the 1st and 3rd testfire session, and didn't press it at all during the 2nd. That is not something you want to be dedicated to a primary button.

You should only be using the camera reset if you find the camera is in an uncomfortable position. The button is there for setting up the camera initially, maybe at the beginning of your play session, and you shouldn't need to press it at all after that.

I used it once in the 1st and 3rd testfire session, and didn't press it at all during the 2nd. That is not something you want to be dedicated to a primary button.

I suppose that's true. I just discovered you can use it as a way to make an about face. I never did it during an actual fight because well, I could barely aim under stress as it was, haha. I would definitely like to put the jump on a bumper though.

Top Bottom