• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Konami to clarify on fallout with Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, no. That's not what they said at all. They really didn't seem bent on talking about it before the game was out, at least.

Choomp

Banned
You know it's the game industry when we're grasping at the straws with a goddang rumor about just clearing something like this up

liquidtmd

Banned
Konami Statement Released:

'We saw all that mobile money and thought fuck it, why the fuck are we bothering. Kojima didn't want to get on-board with our new direction or our timetable so he got pissed. We'd thrown too much money at TPP to not release it so we still have to give the fucker access to the property. Despite Silent Hills having the potential to reboot the franchise and open the gateway to credible mobile and movie spin offs, that's too much fucking hard work so we canned it and just will label our Pokemon or Pachinko or whatever the fuck they are called as 'Silent Hills machines' and they will do fine. If Del Toro or Kojima want in on adding their names, sure why not.

Fuck you and give us money. Thank You.

0hU6ivs.gif

Annoyingly apt. What the hell is wrong with these people? I just don't understand in which world this all seemed like a sound business idea. I wonder if this is rooted in the culture, in terms of valuing relationships and company hierarchy vs. the bottom line of profits (assuming there was a disagreement or something that prompted this chain of events). I could be talking out of my ass though. I'm not an expert on Asian culture after all ;)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's not that hard to infer what went on. Konami decided to focus on mobile and stop developing expensive console titles. Kojima didn't like it, so they decided to fire him once MGSV is finished.

NYR94

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain directed by Alan Smithee.

Alan Smithee directed the 1999 film Woman Wanted. Alan Smithee in this case was really
Kiefer Sutherland

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Creative differences between Kojima and Konami on future endeavors.

kmax

jDnXPBB.jpg

There's nothing to clarify. We all know what you're doing and what direction you're heading, Konami.

yuraya

It was all an elaborate hoax. They stirred up all this fake rumored drama just to market their game and have people talk about them. This is kojima after all. He is a master troll. I'm calling it now this was all marketing scheme. And it worked too because so many people have been talking about Kojima, Konami and MGS over the past couple months. Its genius. Better than any shitty tv commercial.

Kojima continues to innovate with ground breaking social media marketing with a drama spin like no other.

snitsky

It's not that hard to infer what went on. Konami decided to focus on mobile and stop developing expensive console titles. Kojima didn't like it, so they decided to fire him once MGSV is finished.
This basically. I don't think it's anything deeper than Kojima not wanting to go mobile.

It was all an elaborate hoax. They stirred up all this fake rumored drama just to market their game and have people talk about them. This is kojima after all. He is a master troll. I'm calling it now this was all marketing scheme. And it worked too because so many people have been talking about Kojima, Konami and MGS over the past couple months. Its genius. Better than any shitty tv commercial.

Kojima continues to innovate with ground breaking social media marketing with a drama spin like no other.

It's way too late for a hoax. We know where Konami is going and AAA consoles games are not the priority anymore. They want to make as much money as possible with the least amount of effort.

I can see Konami launching all of their major franchises on mobile in some form or fashion, and if it is "traditional enough", they might release a port digitally on console/PC with updated graphics and controls. That is probably the best case scenario now.

Z3M0G

Im sure Kojima was very vocal against the sudden 100% shift into Mobile gaming... obviously he would want NOTHING to do with that.

When the mobile news hit yesterday, this all made sense. No idea why things got as heated as they did though. Kojima probably called the CEO an idiot or worst.

It's all going to be announced as a hoax. Kojima never left, Hayter is the voice of Snake, the head transplant guy really was a viral marketing plant, and Silent Hills will be released this Fall.

... :(

*edit* I didn't see yuraya's post. I want to believe...

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's all going to be announced as a hoax. Kojima never left, Hayter is the voice of Snake, the head transplant guy really was a viral marketing plant, and Silent Hills will be released this Fall.

... :(

And all exclusively to the Konami entertainment system. PS4 and Xbox to join Wii U in the window outside in the rain.
lols

Mr. RHC

Amazing.
tumblr_mc3on7Phdm1rjpxgso1_250.gif

I want this to be true. :D

Roshin

If they say anything, which I don't believe they will, it wont be anything about what actually happened. The question is if Kojima will say anything at some point.

Yen

Bit off-topic here, but remember when Kojima Productions screwed up Metal Gear Rising, and then felt compelled to release a video apologising for it. Konami going to do the same...?

Steroyd

Oh this gon b gud.

Simply saying that they and Kojima weren't on the same wavelength is an understandable reason, it happens quite often infact and would have been acceptable however their mad spree last month means they going to have to dig faaaaaaaaaaaar deeper than that to lessen the noose, quite frankly I just don't see how any clarification would have them coming out smelling any less shit even if I entertain the thought that Kojima was at fault from the beginning.

JackelZXA

Kojima could be found dead at his home and there'd be tweets saying: "Oh, yet another Kojima trick! Just like when he made Raiden playable in MGS2."

"While we had issues with Mr. Kojima, we think you'll find him much more agreeable now. We had that Russian head transplant doctor remove his head and surgically meld him with this Silent Hills slot machine. His consciousness will be made available for iOS, Android, & Windows Mobile as a replacement for Siri, Google Now, & Cortana. Also, we're releasing a F2P Bomberman. Bombs will be an IAP for .99 each, or 100 bombs for $500. Best Value!"

Sorry, but for Konami, this is a case of too little waaay too late. Why? Because when Konami finally open their mouths to explain themselves, the damage will be irreversible and no one will give a damn about what they have to say.

Shauni

We will probably never find out what actually happened.

Once Kojima leaves the company, I'm sure we're find out the truth. Once he's gone, there's really nothing stopping him. Well, I guess I shouldn't say nothing, but it's unlikely there is I would think.

Tigress

This just to save face. Were never gonna know what really happens.

No, we're not. Cause people would have to trust the people telling them at face value.

It won't matter if everything Konami says is true and Kojima some how really did do something to deserve it, no one is going to believe them.

If I were Konami, I'd just stay silent. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by saying anything, whether they were in the wrong or not (or a combo of both sides are in the wrong).

Toa TAK

Banned
It ain't honest but I'm still interested in their response to this regaurdless.

Way too hyped for MGS/way too disappointed about PT to ignore this.

Top Bottom