• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd Score Challenge 2

antibolo

Banned
I really want to try this challenge, but I'm too afraid that I may not even be able to reach a Perfect before the deadline and then feel miserable about it. I just checked and my best so far at this song has been a Great. I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

Ugh.

I've perfected a few 8-star Extreme songs before but they seemed considerably easier than this 7.5.

I think I'll give this a go, even though I've barely played f2. I've gotten excellent on most songs in f1 on extreme so maybe I'm marginally ready! (Lol)

Besides the higher value prizes, one of the big reasons I wanted to push for a higher difficulty is to discourage the notion that you -needed- to be able to pull off a full combo in order to be competitive. Thus my quip earlier about not having set the bar high enough; I was aiming to pick something that was not on the super-hard end of things, but also obscure enough that it shouldn't have had a bunch of Perfects lobbed in right off the bat.

FluxWaveZ

Besides the higher value prizes, one of the big reasons I wanted to push for a higher difficulty is to discourage the notion that you -needed- to be able to pull off a full combo in order to be competitive.

Points scale based on difficulty, though, right? So wouldn't allowing for a same song played on any of the difficulties work out?

SephLuis

Besides the higher value prizes, one of the big reasons I wanted to push for a higher difficulty is to discourage the notion that you -needed- to be able to pull off a full combo in order to be competitive. Thus my quip earlier about not having set the bar high enough; I was aiming to pick something that was not on the super-hard end of things, but also obscure enough that it shouldn't have had a bunch of Perfects lobbed in right off the bat.

Then, if I may, make a suggestion: Add more songs to the Challenge.
Who has the total bigger score wins.

Obviously, since each song has different number of notes and different maximum pontuation, it would require to have a little bit of math included in the final score to guarantee that each song has the same value.

Example:

song 1 * 1,03 + song 2 * 1,05 + song 3 = total points.

If it becomes to much of a hassle, I can help you organizin on this one or next time.

antibolo

Banned

But apart from exceptional cases where a non-perfect has misses only near the beginning and/or the end of a song, is there really any hope for it to be competitive against actual perfects?

Then, if I may, make a suggestion: Add more songs to the Challenge.
Who has the total bigger score wins.

Obviously, since each song has different number of notes and different maximum pontuation, it would require to have a little bit of math included in the final score to guarantee that each song has the same value.

Example:

song 1 * 1,03 + song 2 * 1,05 + song 3 = total points.

If it becomes to much of a hassle, I can help you organizin on this one or next time.

I had the same idea yesterday, but without the math. Don't see the point of that.
An added score of three songs would be fun though and (hopefully) increase the range of scores. More chances for a song you're really good at to be included and less time to grind one song to perfection since you have to spread your time across multiple.

Nyoro SF

To be fair in this rhythm gaming genre there IS no high enough bar or technique to make it possible for anyone to compete for top spots.

EDIT: I'm talking about in the grand scale of all rhythm games of course. It's very much a do or don't, it's not like a DMC style challenge.

Points scale based on difficulty, though, right? So wouldn't allowing for a same song played on any of the difficulties work out?

As far as I know there is no difficulty based modifier to score. The maximum possible score is purely a function of how many notes are in the particular chart you played.

macklelol

Oh man, I just got an amazing score. I think I'll hold off on submitting it for now, but damn, I really think I might not be able to get better than what I just got.

Here's what my old high score was:
XCCGqVZ.jpg

Zambayoshi

Oh man, I just got an amazing score. I think I'll hold off on submitting it for now, but damn, I really think I might not be able to get better than what I just got.

*looks at macklelol's total diva points*

*jaw drops*

That's gotta be well over 200 hours surely! (unless you played a whole heap of challenge items)

macklelol

*looks at macklelol's total diva points*

*jaw drops*

That's gotta be well over 200 hours surely! (unless you played a whole heap of challenge items)

lol, my play time isn't that high... I think. I typically play with 3 challenge items, so the DP just piles up.

yyr

It might be a laugh to have a competition to see who can get the LOWEST score (but still clear the song).

I accept your challenge. Unfortunately, low-scoring this game is very difficult. The problem is that you need a certain number of higher scoring notes just to pass the song at all, unlike in DDR where you can just hit all Goods and pass with a score of 0.

By comparison, low-scoring this game looks like this:
- stay the hell away from Chance Time
- break your combo constantly, but avoid Misses because they destroy your gauge. Safes are better.
- go for Good/Fine instead of Cool
- somehow, do all of that and make it to 80 grade points, which is hard because you're trying to stay the hell away from Chance Time, and probably not nailing Technical Zones

The best I managed so far: 113 cool/310 good/51 safe/5 bad/87 misses. 189200 points, but only 69.4 grade points, so failure. I'm not yet sure if it's even possible to clear the song while missing all of Chance Time on purpose, as I've been trying to do. Currently leaning no.

Wait, we're trying for HIGH scores...?!

Zambayoshi

I accept your challenge. Unfortunately, low-scoring this game is very difficult. The problem is that you need a certain number of higher scoring notes just to pass the song at all, unlike in DDR where you can just hit all Goods and pass with a score of 0.

By comparison, low-scoring this game looks like this:
- stay the hell away from Chance Time
- break your combo constantly, but avoid Misses because they destroy your gauge. Safes are better.
- go for Good/Fine instead of Cool
- somehow, do all of that and make it to 80 grade points, which is hard because you're trying to stay the hell away from Chance Time, and probably not nailing Technical Zones

The best I managed so far: 113 cool/310 good/51 safe/5 bad/87 misses. 189200 points, but only 69.4 grade points, so failure. I'm not yet sure if it's even possible to clear the song while missing all of Chance Time on purpose, as I've been trying to do. Currently leaning no.

Wait, we're trying for HIGH scores...?!

Ha ha, nice. The thing I find interesting about a low-score challenge is that whilst the more skillful players can deliberately manipulate their scores, it still leaves the less skillful players with a chance to get lucky, whereas a high-score challenge doesn't really allow the less skillful players that chance.

Producer

Well damn, i had a score pretty close to this one and i was feeling pretty confident lol. Gonna have to try harder.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What could have been. ;_;

I'll settle for this one if I don't end up getting a higher score.
Oh my god, you beat my submission by freakin' 110 points. Now I'm gonna have to spend my day off seeing if I can beat your score.

Edit: OH MY GOD, I just checked & we both have THE EXACT NUMBER OF COOLS & GOODS. So pretty much, you managed to get one Cool on a hold where I probably got a Good, causing the small score difference.

Edit 2: CRISIS AVERTED. Least my score is more consistant around the 540k area, plus I've been getting a lot more perfects. That one part in Chance Time no longer screws me up. This is probably the best I can get, because DAMN this took so many tries & getting about 540k or 541k, but beating my previous score by almost 3,000 points feels rather satisfying.

New submission, disregard my previous score:

2015-05-22-092556_zpsn24rwpw9.jpg

yyr

I usually guess what the winning score is going to be around.

My guess this time is 551,000.

I'm not close yet--managed the Perfect, but haven't had much time to try as I've been feverishly working on game development projects. Hopefully I should have a couple of good hours to put in over the weekend.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
WOW, only 3 (myself included)?! I figured it'd be a bit more with all the scores posted in this thread.

soyou'retellingmethere'sachance.gif

WOW, only 3 (myself included)?! I figured it'd be a bit more with all the scores posted in this thread.

soyou'retellingmethere'sachance.gif
I'll post one eventually. I still feel like I should try to get a better score than my first Perfect (which was back before the score challenge... and my scores keep getting worse when I actually try).

macklelol

I guess only 3 people bothered to send in PMs? I'd imagine a bunch of people are only gonna submit near the end.

I already submitted my score, so I'm one of those 3 people lol

Wynnebeck

Banned
I've only had three people enter scores so far, so the chances of winning something are pretty good right now!

Lol Someone just posted a previous score where he perfected it with 25 Goods. Then he said he got an even better score. I think this competition is wrapped up lol.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Lol Someone just posted a previous score where he perfected it with 25 Goods. Then he said he got an even better score. I think this competition is wrapped up lol.
And now my hopes & dreams for the song pack are completely & utterly crushed.

I got Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 a few months ago, so if I somehow got second place & first place was taking the song pack, I was just gonna pass the Steam code to 3rd place

emiliano

I've tried.
ZVNxLmv.jpg

I'm really near to beat the chance zone, that could grant me even a "great" (wow). At least I've improved a lot and got more confidence at expert difficulty (I'm using 9+ star songs as warmup, which obviously can't even complete yet), so I think is something at least.

antibolo

Banned
I've only had three people enter scores so far, so the chances of winning something are pretty good right now!

I'm pretty sure that picking an Extreme song only scared off potential players and made it even more one-sided towards high-level players than before.

Producer

I'm pretty sure that picking an Extreme song only scared off potential players and made it even more one-sided towards high-level players than before.

I'd argue a Hard song would make it even more one sided since high level players would be able clear it much easily. The song chosen isnt that bad for extreme difficulty.

antibolo

Banned
I'd argue a Hard song would make it even more one sided since high level players would be able clear it much easily. The song chosen isnt that bad for extreme difficulty.

A player who can't consistently get perfects at a given song will have less chances at catching up.

Yes, high-level players will always win regardless of difficulty, I'm not denying that. But my point is, the harder the difficulty is, the greater the gap will become.

Anyway, Just pointing it out. I guess the fact that prizes are more valuable than before justifies the difficulty bump.

emiliano

I must agree with antibolo here, in the previous challenge I was playing to low the number of goods in the perfect, here I'm struggling getting a great. I didn't stand a chance in any way, so for me this situation or the other is far from frustrating anyway.

So I hadn't even unlocked the ability to play this on extreme yet and after clearing it on hard I didn't expect to do too hot on Extreme, but I managed to great it on my first try. I'll give it some more time later today when I'm off work, but I doubt I'll be perfecting it either way lol.

Does anyone else find Extreme easier to play than lower difficulties? Something about having all the relevant notes for the rhythm makes it easier for my brain to process, I think. Obviously there are some sequences that are still rough. The song for this contest's second tech zone starts out pretty hard for example,but overall I find it easier to be consistent on the hardest difficulty

antibolo

Banned
And now my hopes & dreams for the song pack are completely & utterly crushed.

I'm pretty sure that most of the top players here already have the song club (and mackelol has already stated that he's not playing for prizes). I'd say your chances of winning it are pretty high right now.

Prooobably capping out at this. Might give it a few more goes before I submit, but I could tell I had a really good start and let it get to me at the end, lol.

Still, it's been real fun. Gaf has some great players!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I hadn't even unlocked the ability to play this on extreme yet and after clearing it on hard I didn't expect to do too hot on Extreme, but I managed to great it on my first try. I'll give it some more time later today when I'm off work, but I doubt I'll be perfecting it either way lol.

Does anyone else find Extreme easier to play than lower difficulties? Something about having all the relevant notes for the rhythm makes it easier for my brain to process, I think. Obviously there are some sequences that are still rough. The song for this contest's second tech zone starts out pretty hard for example,but overall I find it easier to be consistent on the hardest difficulty
Yeah, the second Tech Zone is where I had the most trouble, but I finally got the hang of it.

I would say it depends on the song. I feel like on Extreme, it's a bit easier to "go with the flow" with the song because I feel like it's more like playing along with the song's rhythm, so the beat can be easier to find. Though it all depends on if the chart is well designed. But yes, I think for the most part, I would have to agree with you.

& this is coming from someone who played a ton of DDR (mainly by hand on a PS2 controller), beatmania IIDX, other Bemani games, Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, and other rhythm games.
Prooobably capping out at this. Might give it a few more goes before I submit, but I could tell I had a really good start and let it get to me at the end, lol.

Still, it's been real fun. Gaf has some great players!
Hey, you still improved quite a bit. I think having some friendly competition can help bring out the potential in some people. I know it sure did for me when I saw some scores on here (including your first attempt). & gotta say it's quite the feeling when after sooooooo many attempts, even if it's by a small amount, you finally get a new high school, it's very satisfying.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Okay, now I think this game is just messing with me.
That happened to me before. I had the exact number of Cools & Goods as another user, yet they had about 110 more points than me. My guess is you got the Cools either on the holds &/or in the Chance Time, which would net you more points.

Well, it makes me feel kind of bad that I'm only just now caught up to someone who was apparently feeling shaky on a lot of parts. I personally feel like I have the chart down to a science (absolutely no problems getting a Perfect), but I'm just being screwed over randomly by the strict timing window combined with the physical delay of hitting the buttons.

antibolo

Banned
So I just sat down with the game and finally tried the song. Haven't played the game in a while but I couldn't help but feel like a coward for not even attempting the challenge.

I still haven't cleared the second Technical but I feel like I'm getting close. As for the Chance Time, ugh, I think my best so far is only one missed note, but I still can't even consistently clear it.

I'll play some more during my lunch break and in the evening. I'm not confident that I can perfect the song before the deadline (if ever), but at least I will have tried!

Redhood

Okay, now I think this game is just messing with me.

Direction notes give points on the way they are hit. U can either press both the direction and face button in sync. Or you can hold the direction button down for a long chain and only press the face buttons. Could be that you are holding the direction button and only pressing the face button?

Top Bottom