• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gun sounds in games are severely lacking

Arjac

Arma 3 (and Dragonfyre/JSRS) has been mentioned a few times, but this video is what convinced me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_PnU_533Zk

I wish more games would make sound waves act like sound waves in games, changing with distance and environment. Shooting inside a large warehouse should disorient you.
This is the one case where it feels like too much.
I get the reason for it, don't get me wrong. But not only do the guns not sound satisfying in the player's hands in any of the JSRS videos, but listening to an actual firefight on my headphones made me genuinely uncomfortable after two minutes. I cannot imagine doing an entire game of that without either speakers or frequent breaks.
edit: gave this another look on tv speakers, it's definitely easier to listen to there

Xdrive05

hickok45 has the best gun videos on YouTube by quite a margin. And that STEN is hideous.

Good on Halo 2 Anniversary for getting this right!

I wish there was a dev that would just have the sound mix for everything aside from firearms be lower than normal so that when the volume is adjusted to hear dialogue, gunshots are loud and furious like what Michael Mann does in his movies. This is on top of more environmentally accurate echoes/reverb, even if that stuff is simply faked using canned sound samples vs. the more complex in engine solution Killzone uses.

Of course you can also have a "firearm volume" slider for the people who can't handle the noise.

Top Bottom