• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You could probably shave off up to 10 hours considering I've left the game running to duck out for a smoke, lunch, shit, cook, whatever. I also lost my job and buddies have been busy during the week so I've had plenty of time to destroy myself with video games.

Game is okay.

An overwhelming majority of Skellige is unexplored and unquested, and I still have numerous things left to do in Novigrad and Valen. I'm also apparently about 60% through the main story arc.

I play slow though.

This basically. Last game I chewed up unhealthy hours playing would have been Mass Effect 3 maybe? I finished that obscenely quickly and did everything. But this has been an otherworldly time sink.

Yeah, I can see that. 60 hours, Finished what I "think" is the main story mode of Velen/Novigrad, and large chunks of their sidestuff (
Haven't started Djkstra's assassination quest, just one mission done on Phillipa
, Numerous 20+ level hunts, most of the fighting, racing, gwent quests, 70% of the random ? on the map are unexplored).

Just gotten to Skellige and gotten past what I figured was the "prologue" of the area, introducing the various unspellable names of people and getting to the point of "doing stuff".

Novigrad sidemission thoughts:

This is about the serial killer plotline. Thought the planning for this was excellently done, leading up to the real killer. I had Nathanial picked really early, but there were 1 or 2 things that irked me, enough to wonder about him being a red herring. The largest point being at how obvious they started making it seem like it was Nathanial.

Now, when first introduced to Hubert, and the dialogue between the 2 doctors, the point that Hubert was the other ones teacher, made me think at first "hmm, they should have done better on the character model, Hubert looks younger." Then low and behold, that point comes up in later dialogue, with a fake explanation (that I somehow bought!). Him being a Vampire was a "oh shit, that's right, they exist in this world!" moment.

I was fortunate that I didn't outright kill Nathanial at the brothel, and got realistic confusion in Geralt's questions from him, leading to understanding what was really going on. "Sadly" my dissuasion wasn't high enough, and I got to kill both those fuckers.

Bravo, on another fantastic side mission. Really, the only one so far that I wasn't thrilled with, was
breaking Dandelion out of prison. I liked the whole play thing, to get Dudu, but then the majority of it all happens off screen. This game already has so many genres of storylines, but it's missing (so far) a prison break. A game of Gwent and a horse chase doesn't cut it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Anyone know where you get the recipe's to combine the 5% / 50 vit red and green mutagens into the 7% / 75 vit mutagens? I only found one for the blues but I'd like the red one at least.

I like how there's a brief recap of a consequence. I'm glad they didn't just kind of ignore something major you decided and how it played out. For example:

I chose to spare the spirit in the great oak, and allow him to save the children, which he did. But it started a chain of events that I couldn't have anticipated, and given the choice to do over, I would definitely go back and kill him, but it's too late. Now, the nearby village is destroyed, Anna is dead, and Baron hanged himself. All because of my decision. But as depressing as that is, it's great to know that what I did mattered, and could have played out much differently.

You trusted a monster what did you expect :p lol. I killed him because the way I saw it, the crones had info on ciri, and even if they were lying the chance of them knowing something was better than helping a tree who knew nothing.

nib95

Banned
look at this suave man. if only his beard would grow forever, a massive beard + loose/long hair + bear armor + max toxicity and you have the ultimate witcher

fp2Z3sQ.jpg

Slick.

nbraun80

I like how there's a brief recap of a consequence. I'm glad they didn't just kind of ignore something major you decided and how it played out. For example:

I chose to spare the spirit in the great oak, and allow him to save the children, which he did. But it started a chain of events that I couldn't have anticipated, and given the choice to do over, I would definitely go back and kill him, but it's too late. Now, the nearby village is destroyed, Anna is dead, and Baron hanged himself. All because of my decision. But as depressing as that is, it's great to know that what I did mattered, and could have played out much differently.

Baron quest spoilers
I like to think that Anna(Gran) would have chosen to trade her life for the childrens'. Specially after the baron mentions suicide attempts and that she wanted to not have the baby, I'd say she would have done it, then to go back living with him

To be fair, there's one definitive rule to all Witcher major choices:
consequences will fuck people no matter what, you just get to choose who gets on the ploughing side.

kmax

Bought The Witcher 3 guide from prima games.

Damn, this thing is a beauty. Nice that there was another book included, not to mention the online guide for free.

Pooya

witcher 2 stuff in 3
spoiler I guess

That's it for Roche? just a cutscene? well I guess it's understandable, some minor quest would have been cool considering how much stuff is in this game. still it was nice to see the blue stripes or what's left of it :\

BossLackey

Gold Member
Stupid question here.

Side quest fighting a
noonwraith
at the haunted well in White Orchard. After all the batman detective stuff, Geralt said he needed
wraith oil
, but I don't see it in the alchemy section. Do I just use the
specter oil
? Tried fighting without it, obviously I did no damage.

dedhead54

In regards to Gwent:

I didn't intend on playing any gwent but now I have the gwent sidequest open and I really don't want to stare it it forever. I need to win some special cards from two different people but I haven't played any gwent besides the tutorial game and these guys are destroying me. If I can just win these cards will this quest be it or are there more gwent quests? Please say no.

xezuru

witcher 2 stuff in 3
spoiler I guess

That's it for Roche? just a cutscene? well I guess it's understandable, some minor quest would have been cool considering how much stuff is in this game. still it was nice to see the blue stripes or what's left of it :\

Depending how/what you do in the Find Junior quest you can do more with him.
Not sure if there's anything past that since I've been a bit completionist with sidequests.

witcher 2 stuff in 3
spoiler I guess

That's it for Roche? just a cutscene? well I guess it's understandable, some minor quest would have been cool considering how much stuff is in this game. still it was nice to see the blue stripes or what's left of it :
There's a side quest.

nbraun80

witcher 2 stuff in 3
spoiler I guess

you referring of when you go to see him for a gwent card? If so there are a couple missions involving him a little bit later

Number45

I keep seeing mentions of DLC but I don't see anything up on the store (PS4). Am I missing something? Bought the game + expansion pass version from PSN.

EDIT: Well, duh! Doesn't actually include "The Witcher" in the product name so doesn't match a search for that. >_<

womp

Stupid question here.

Side quest fighting a
noonwraith
at the haunted well in White Orchard. After all the batman detective stuff, Geralt said he needed
wraith oil
specter oil

Yes. I didn't find it did all that much though.

Better to use your trap sign.

UberLevi

Where can I get Dimeretium ore/ingots/plates? I need one last component to finish the Mastercrafted witcher armor and I can't for the life of me find it.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
the Ursine armor is soooooooo much cooler looking than any other armor set in the game. it's a shame it takes so long to unlock.

oh and I just got a quest to go to
the Skellige Isles
. how far am I from finishing the story?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Stupid question here.

Side quest fighting a
noonwraith
wraith oil
specter oil

Specter oil is good, a nice little bonus, but the two important things are the trap sign, and... do not fight it at noon. morning or late afternoon. It's strongest when the sun is strongest

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This has probably been asked a million time, but I only just got the game so haven't been in the thread. Is there a way to view multiple quests on the map screen? I got my first 3 or 4 in white orchard and it seems I have to tab between the map and quest screen to track another quest and see where it is.

Anyone?

Chitown B

Biggest complaint right now; Novigrad needs a better map. Icons shouldn't come and go, and all the districts and areas should be labeled with lines indicating their boundries when viewing from the map screen. The city is too fucking big.

word. It takes forever to find the vendor you need.

I also wish the markers had a level number attached to them once you find them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 70 hours in, and I'm still at lvl 4, is this normal or am I doing something really wrong? :(

What? Yes you're doing something massively wrong, like are you doing quests at all? Mobs in this game give virtually no XP at all, so if all you're doing is killing random mobs that's why you're not levelling. I'm basically clearing the whole map, doing all points of interest while doing all side quests, hunts etc, then moving onto the main story which gives the most XP and I'm level 18 after 50 hours.

Chariot

witcher 2 stuff in 3
spoiler I guess

You do some things with him, no worry. And appearing is already more than what Iorveth got :DD

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone give me some advice on how to use the combat system properly? I'm tag teaming this game and Dark Souls 2 and I'm finding the combat in this game nothing but frustrating. I've resorted to dropping the difficulty to easy, dropping the Yrden sign, and spamming quick attacks. But I'm not having fun and I want to figure out how the combat works.

My problem is when I'm fighting multiple enemies I can essentially get stunlocked by them all attacking me at different times. The dodge is iffy at avoiding damage and it's hard to get more than one or two hits off before getting hit by another enemy. Problem is my swords also do shit damage (I'm level 4) so if I constantly dance in, get one hit off, then dance out, it'll take forever to kill anything.

I think playing it alongside Dark Souls 2 is just emphasizing to me how janky the combat system in Witcher 3 can be, but maybe I'm missing something.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm about 70 hours in, and I'm still at lvl 4, is this normal or am I doing something really wrong? :(

Level 10 with about half that time put in on Death March difficulty. What have you been doing? Certainly not quests it seems.

BLunted

Banned
Last night I had a really unexpected consequence to a dialogue choice. I use Axii every opportunity I get in conversation but this time when I did it someone else in the group noticed and freaked out, leading to a fight with about 15-20 guards. Afterwards the NPC I was with gave me a hard time for using Axii so publicly.

Haha, I played the same part and did the same thing yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom