• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PC Performance Thread

ValfarHL

Some low-light shots for you guys using the last SweetFX preset I shared.

witcher32015-05-2200-39-18.png

witcher32015-05-2200-22-34.png

witcher32015-05-2200-03-16.png

witcher32015-05-2200-16-27.png

http://pastebin.com/zdEKBw5t

Quoting for new page.

Also:
Glorious! Will try when I come home. Your file has a setting for difficulty = 0. Does this change the in game difficulty? If yes, to what? :p

viveks86

Your file has a setting for difficulty = 0. Does this change the in game difficulty? If yes, to what? :p

I guess it would. Hmm, I'm playing with blood and broken bones difficulty. Not sure if that translates to "0". Use it as a reference only for rendering and postprocessing sections.

Lanark

Was getting a lot of crashes with this game before, but removing the overclock on my 980gtx has removed them entirely in the 4 hours since then, was getting a crash almost every half hour before that.

The only thing bothering me now are the occasional stuttering/hitches, especially when starting on a horse. But it seems a lot of people suffer from that, hope that will be fixed.

Dries

See a lot of people getting stuttering. Do these people experience this stuttering too:

Even with the 1.03 patch I still get stuttering while just walking on horseback. Not holding A, but just tilting the analog stick forward/pressing W while on Roach. It seems like a hitch and happens in the same time intervals, like every other second.

Is this still a thing for other people? I checked the PS4 version and it's also there, so it seems like an engine thing.

Really, really annoying. For now, I've also turned HairWorks off as it seems to choke the engine and produce massive stutters in fps-killer areas. With HairWorks off the stutter is gone in those areas, but the horseback stutter which I've described above always remains.

The sad thing is these stutters/hitches are still present on a G-sync monitor. Framerate drops are all taken care by G-sync, but even G-sync can't do anything to resolve these "engine stutters". What's going on?

Lanark

See a lot of people getting stuttering. Do these people experience this stuttering too:

Really, really annoying. For now, I've also turned HairWorks off as it seems to choke the engine and produce massive stutters in fps-killer areas. With HairWorks off the stutter is gone in those areas, but the horseback stutter which I've described above always remains.

Getting the same type of stutter as well. I think it happens more when you are in a village as opposed to the countryside, but I haven't checked enough to make sure.

I know these kind of questions are kinda shit, and answers vary wildly from person to person, but I'll ask anyway and nobody has to answer, it's okay... How would this perform on my PC:

Core i5 4690
8GB RAM 1600Mhz
GTX 760 2GB
7200 WD Black HDD
Windows 8.1

At 1080p, would it be 30fps/60fps - medium/high/ultra? What kinda combo could I pull off? Presumably it'd be better than the consoles, right? Though I'm not so sure...

Not worth it IMO. I have a 980 also and even though I routinely sit between 50~60 fps, I think that hair works off just plain looks better. It's like light/shading isn't working right on the tesselated hairs or something??

Sure it doesn't quite move as well but getting a locked 60 fps is a good trade off and it still moves like hair more or less with it off.

If they ever give us a monster/beast only hair works option, I'd give that a shot.

I also prefer Geralt's regular hair, however his beard looks way better and fuller with hairworks on. I want just Hairworks for the beard and creatures!

The sad thing is these stutters/hitches are still present on a G-sync monitor. Framerate drops are all taken care by G-sync, but even G-sync can't do anything to resolve these "engine stutters". What's going on?

Is the stutter just an animation stutter? If you pan the camera, does it still pan smoothly, despite the stutter?

Does any one else have problems switching SweetFx off? I have installed Reshade but the scroll lock key isn't switching it off. I checked the global settings text file and it states:

#define ReShade_ToggleKey VK_SCROLL //Set the key that should toggle the effects On/Off

I used Reshade/SweetFX for GTA V and it worked fine there with the same key.

I know these kind of questions are kinda shit, and answers vary wildly from person to person, but I'll ask anyway and nobody has to answer, it's okay... How would this perform on my PC:

Core i5 4690
8GB RAM 1600Mhz
GTX 760 2GB
7200 WD Black HDD
Windows 8.1

At 1080p, would it be 30fps/60fps - medium/high/ultra? What kinda combo could I pull off? Presumably it'd be better than the consoles, right? Though I'm not so sure...

I have a GTX 670 (2GB) and I5 4440 in my secondary PC and I was able to lock at 30fps (1080p) and put everything to ultra including HBAO+, except shadows, foliage density and foliage distance (high) with no hairworks.

I really would say your PC will exceed the console fidelity at 1080/30.

viveks86

Does any one else have problems switching SweetFx off? I have installed Reshade but the scroll lock key isn't switching it off. I checked the global settings text file and it states:

#define ReShade_ToggleKey VK_SCROLL //Set the key that should toggle the effects On/Off

I used Reshade/SweetFX for GTA V and it worked fine there with the same key.

You are not alone. The toggle keys don't work for this game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If I'm getting at least 70fps while riding my horse through White Orchard is that good? That's what I get during testing the settings but I will actually play with vsync/60fps limit. Should I expect the framerate to drop below 60fps during battles or in any of the bigger towns/cities? I still haven't left this area.

I really don't feel like I can drop the settings any lower than what I'm at now. I'm happy with performance in White Orchard and I'm happy with how the game looks.

GHG

First game that's made my 660 sli setup struggle at 1080p. Hovers around 30 fps with hair works on, frequent dips to 28/27fps.

Other than turning hair works off, what else can I potentially turn down that doesn't make much of a difference visually?

The need to upgrade the puppies is real.

moniker

I'm wondering how horrible this would run on a 750m. Would it be possible to reach 30 fps with everything on low and 720p?

Majukun

If I'm getting at least 70fps while riding my horse through White Orchard is that good? That's what I get during testing the settings but I will actually play with vsync/60fps limit. Should I expect the framerate to drop below 60fps during battles or in any of the bigger towns/cities? I still haven't left this area.

I really don't feel like I can drop the settings any lower than what I'm at now. I'm happy with performance in White Orchard and I'm happy with how the game looks.
The things that hit the performance the most are hair works and foliage distance.. so if those enemies have hair of any kind, you might expect some drops compared to when you are just riding on the fields

Core i5 4690
8GB RAM 1600Mhz
GTX 760 2GB
7200 WD Black HDD
Windows 8.1

My office PC is running on a similiar setup, with CPU being higher at i7 4770K, I'm able to use all High settings and locked to 30fps, perfectly playable and looks great too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The things that hit the performance the most are hair works and foliage distance.. so if those enemies have hair of any kind, you might expect some drops compared to when you are just riding on the fields

I have hairworks completely off. It's cool but don't think the fps hit is worth it. Foliage distance is at high.

VodevilX

Banned
Loading from my SSD is so fast I can't even read the tips on the loading screen. I would say about 1 second. I'm still very early in th game though.

That's fine, the prologue was ok, but Velen is a much bigger area, probably that's part of the problem. Also I don't really get why does it load so much reloading the same area, almost everything same but a minute earlier...

GHG

Well scrap that.

Turned off borderless windowed, restarted game and I'm now locked 30fps with everything on.

Still need to upgrade though.

Genio88

Loving the game so far, my GTX 980 with everything on ultra, HBAO+ and hairworks on runs it at about 40/60fps, unfortunately overclocking it i have crashes, even if was stable on other games, so i can't go over that.
Now how can i cap the frame to 40? I remember someone wrote that it can be done modifying a .ini file i guess, can you explain better please?

I now am getting random crashes of the nvidia display drivers. Outside of the game, my screen will go black for a few seconds then come back with a windows error saying nvidia display driver stopped working and has recovered.

I haven't had an in game crash since the new patch though.

Anyone else getting "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" crashes since downloading the latest Nvidia drivers?

To be honest ive gotten that error with AMD & Nvidia cards, going back as far as the 8800GTS. I dont think theres any solution for it at all at this stage.

I downloaded the latest patch last night and performance seems so much better for me now. Running at 1440p downsampled to 1080p, almost everything on ultra bar Shadows and Foliage distance on High. Hairworks on, and its hovering around 50FPS or so.
GTX 970, i7 4770, 16GB ram

I now am getting random crashes of the nvidia display drivers. Outside of the game, my screen will go black for a few seconds then come back with a windows error saying nvidia display driver stopped working and has recovered.

I haven't had an in game crash since the new patch though.
It is a known issue. Nvidia is investigating.

Dries

Is the stutter just an animation stutter? If you pan the camera, does it still pan smoothly, despite the stutter?

"Does it pan smoothly, despite the stutter" doesn't really make sense to me lol. Because no, obviously it doesn't pan smoothly because of the stutter. It will never pan smoothly because the stutter is almost there.

I think it's an animation stutter though. Cause I can totally see the stutters appear in exactly the same time intervals within this walking on horseback animation. It's like every time at the end of an animation when starting into the next one. Always that small hiccup.

I checked the PS4 version and EXACTLY the same stuttering is there too, with the same animation.

However, when I'm holding down A (so when I make the horse run instead of walk) and then pan the camera it is completely stutter free. But this is a different animation than the animation I've been describing in my posts, so there's the difference. So I guess it's an engine thingie?

Brakus

Banned
Loving the game so far, my GTX 980 with everything on ultra, HBAO+ and hairworks on runs it at about 40/60fps, unfortunately overclocking it i have crashes, even if was stable on other games, so i can't go over that.
Now how can i cap the frame to 40? I remember someone wrote that it can be done modifying a .ini file i guess, can you explain better please?

Weird, my 980 is heavily overclocked and its fine, maybe knock it down slightly.

Arrith

Neo Member
Patch made a small difference

Now able to hold solid 35-40fps maxed at 4k with SLI Titan X
+i74770k

Yesterday was 30-35 so getting an extra 5 fps and everything feels a bit more stable with less drops into the 20's

Still a bit of a shame it wont hit 60fps, about the same for me as well with a 5820k but doesnt utilize the cards to their full load/almost full load, top card still 60-73%, bottom 80-91% and doesn't seem like it's pushing them at all, while 1440p utilizes both cards correctly at 73-90%, it seems like SLI profile isn't working correctly at all.

Also it has been crashing like crazy for me. Frustrating it wont run well when every other game I've tried, benched etc runs extremely well at 4k. For example DA:I maxed with no and low post processing gets 60 fps with vsync on and 65-73fps with vsync off.

edit: Tried with vsync off and no frame limit seem to run aroun 45-61 fps, but dear god the tearing was bad haha

I decided to turn off my 30fps cap and discovered that I'm actually getting 40-60 fps just about everywhere in White Orchard. Goodbye 30fps, it was fun while it lasted!

shandy706

Are people sure they're seeing "stutter".

I've noticed the auto centering of the camera is very fussy. It jerks and jumps a lot, especially on horseback.

Could be the camera?

for those with stutter problems, i locked the framerate using riva tuner and now runs smooth as butter

I have had it locked with Riva and still experience the stutter. It's worse when walking on foot or on horse. It's less pronounced when running or galloping though. This is on the Nvidia GTA V drivers (I'm not risking the update). Also nothing to do with fps, mine doesn't drop at all, yet still get the annoying stutter.

I've noticed the auto centering of the camera is very fussy. It jerks and jumps a lot, especially on horseback.

Could be the camera?

It could very well be that. Stutter is probably the wrong word, it's more like a slightly jumping camera. Hope it's fixed.

Derp

I decided to turn off my 30fps cap and discovered that I'm actually getting 40-60 fps just about everywhere in White Orchard. Goodbye 30fps, it was fun while it lasted!
But isn't the point of capping at 30 and using vsync to remove tearing and have consistency (so it isn't jumping around)?

Dries

Could be the camera?

So then it's the camera that stutters. Is there a difference? In the end, we're all seeing stuttering in our visuals. It should be smooth either way. The auto-centering of the camera is very smooth for me though, although I do have a G-sync monitor.

But even with G-sync I'm still noticing stuttering: In some areas I get very heavy framedrops with HairWorks enabled. It's like the game chokes on these areas. G-sync can't mask these framedrops. The other stuttering I get is while walking (not running) on horseback, but that stuttering seems to be caused by an animation (see my posts above). I still want to get rid of it though.

Both of these stutters I've described above all have one thing in common: the stutters always appear at exactly the same time intervals. Almost like there's a stutter in the animation and the stutter become more noticable when the game is already having trouble with HairWorks in busy areas.

I have had it locked with Riva and still experience the stutter. It's worse when walking on foot or on horse. It's less pronounced when running or galloping though. This is on the Nvidia GTA V drivers (I'm not risking the update). Also nothing to do with fps, mine doesn't drop at all, yet still get the annoying stutter.

It could very well be that. Stutter is probably the wrong word, it's more like a slightly jumping camera. Hope it's fixed.

This is the exact kind of stutter I'm trying to describe! It is indeed very noticeable while walking on your horse, but the stutter seems to dissappear when you start running. You could say the stutter is exclusive to the walking animation.

Gattsu25

Banned
For anyone having problems with getting the Steam overlay to work: it's most likely FRAPS

Quitting FRAPS solved the problem for me.

MisterM

Weeeee, I just bit the bullet and ordered an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB I'm going from a Sapphire 7870XT 2GB. I'm hoping the jump was worth it.

So I'm prepared what seems to be the best version of the Nvidia drivers? Should I just go for the latest and roll back if I run into crashes?

watchdog

I played the game last night after installing the most recent patch and I didn't crash once over a 2hr period. Hopefully whatever was making the game crash was fixed.

I played the game last night after installing the most recent patch and I didn't crash once over a 2hr period. Hopefully whatever was making the game crash was fixed.

Two of us play the game and with around 4 hours between us since patch 1.03 we've had zero crashes.

Borderless window mode is also now working wonders for me with an absolute constant non-stutter 60fps experience (other than the questionable jerky animations).

Subject16

I'm wondering how horrible this would run on a 750m. Would it be possible to reach 30 fps with everything on low and 720p?
15-20fps with 740m here. Everything set on low. 720p. When i turn it down to 1024x768 it goes up to 25-27fps but with a lot of dips down to 20. I dont feel like playing it on that resolution. I'd rather wait for a decent performance patch or Windows 10 with DX12.

ys45

Played about 3 hours without any crash yesterday plus performance has really been improved I got almost everything on ultra now except grass view distance and get a good 55-60 fps (down sampling at 1080) .

Pretty happy about it .

jett

D-Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxKxE-m5wpY

Seems everything on Ultra except Foliage Distance (medium) is a go on the 280x. Suppose dropping Shadows to High to bump Foliage to High is a good compromise though.

I also find it hilarious how my 280x is gonna bottleneck my FX6300 this time, that isn't really common :lol. Stock FX6300 with a GTX970 runs better than the 8350 with a 280x. This game is super light on the CPU side of things

Yeah this game seemingly doesn't use the CPU at all. :p Overclocking my 4670k does nothing to improve my framerate.

So ive noticed that after playing for around 2 hours that my frames drop off from 60 and consistently register around 45-50. Restarting the game resolves the issue. I assume the 3.5gbs is filling and I'm getting into the gimpped performance of the last .5 GB of vram?

So ive noticed that after playing for around 2 hours that my frames drop off from 60 and consistently register around 45-50. Restarting the game resolves the issue. I assume the 3.5gbs is filling and I'm getting into the gimpped performance of the last .5 GB of vram?

The game at 1080p has never used more than 2800 Megs of VRAM on my Rig (is usually at 2.5). I do no ththink that is the problem.

Go find a ladder in the game and climb it. That has a really juddery camera too. If that's the issue you're describing, then chances are it's just the camera and not actual stutter. I haven't noticed it on horseback yet, but now it's been mentioned I bet I can't unsee it >.<

Corpekata

Banned
A general drop in performance is more likely to be a memory leak rather than VRAM related. VRAM past the 3.5 threshold will stutter at times but it won't decrease the overall performance.

And the game is generally light on VRAM. At 1440p and still haven't seen it hit 3 gigs.

Barzul

The game at 1080p has never used more than 2800 Megs of VRAM on my Rig (is usually at 2.5). I do no ththink that is the problem.

Yeah I was tracking VRAM usage yesterday on mine too. It never went over 2500MB often times it was much lower than that in the 1500's to 2000's

Top Bottom