• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see a resurgence of old classics this Gen?

Back when PS4 was announced I remember Sony saying how they wanted to get back to the way things were in the PS1/PS2 days.

They wanted a diverse catalogue of games (which looking through the store they are getting there) and they wanted to bring back some old games and reboot them.

So far however I don't recall there being any mention of games being rebooted from the PS1/PS2 era.

For me personally I would love some of the old Psygnosis/Studio London games to make a comeback.

For those who don't know, here's a history lesson from the Golden age.

Psygnosis, formed in 1984, was the original studio, it was bought by Sony in 1993 and it then became SCE Studio London in 2001. The studio was finally shut down (Why Sony, WHYYYYYY?!?!?!?!) and merged with xDev in 2011/12.

Some of the original developers from Psygnosis/Studio London also formed Firesprite Studios who created "The Playroom" on PS4. They now work on tools and an "unannounced new project" for Sony.

Studio Liverpool, prior to shutting down, was the oldest and second largest development house within Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's stable of developers, and is best known for the Wipeout series of futuristic racing games, with the first instalment released on the original PlayStation in 1995. The studio is also known for the Formula One series of licensed racing games, and the Colony Wars series released on the original PlayStation.

Some of the games I'd like to see from them make a comeback are:

- Destruction Derby Series
- G-Police Series
- Colony Wars Series
- Wipeout Series
- Shadow of the Beast Series
- Chrono Quest
- Darkstalkers
- Overboard!
- Formula 1 Contract.

This is just a list purely from these guys alone that I can think of not including the loads of other games from that era.

What say GAF? Is there a chance we could see some of these games coming back? Any that I've missed out?

It would be cool to get a complication list of most wanted games so we could pester SCE with it until they finally give in :p

I'd be happy just being able to play PS1 games on it.

Edit: More in line with the topic. I think we are seeing a return to PS1 form with the steady stream of indie titles and Sony's willingness to work with indie developers. IMO, the PS1 was the indie-station of its time. Development costs were reduced and we saw a lot of developers jump into the console market, who might not have otherwise been able to afford it, almost directly as a result of Sony getting into the console business.

I think the death of the mid-tier game from decent developers makes this improbable. Sure, there are indies, but it's not the same.

Bizzquik

If there's any kind of in-house emulation that can be done, I'd love to see "Collections" of games, like when we saw lots of old Sega games or Midway games packaged on one retail title.

I much prefer that over a subscription service like PlayStation Now.

Qwark

Shadow of the Best IS making a comeback. Out of the others listed, I'd really like to see Colony Wars come back. Never played it myself but it looks neat and I think it could be a great Morpheus game if done correctly.

Also, Tomba, really want to see Tomba make a comeback.

What is Chrono Quest? Is that a Trigger/Cross/Break thing? Edit: I see it's an old Amiga game.

Camjo-Z

If they don't announce a new PaRappa/Ape Escape/MediEvil/ANYTHING from the PS1 era at this E3 then I'm just giving up hope for good.

I think the death of the mid-tier game from decent developers makes this improbable. Sure, there are indies, but it's not the same.

Yeah, my first thought. Some of those classics back in the day were risky creatively, but not as risky financially so they can have at it. With budgets having spiralled out of control to the point where mid-tiers are dead, maybe HD remakes of HD games from last gen (which on the surface, its appeal always confuses the shit out of me--HD remakes of games from the HD generation? For someone who did keep up with ganes last gen, it's hard to be excited by your DMC, TR and TLOU Remasters, or even GTAV) are proving to be the 'A'/mid-tier games and count as 'resurgence of old classics.'

Now I've made myself sad.

Juxo

Ah, the memories! Back when demos came on disks, which came with magazines, I remember putting countless hours into the G-Police demo. Finally got the game when it released and it never really clicked with me, for whatever reason.

Fun times.

On current gen hardware that game could be incredible. No doubt it would end up being mediocre.
Maybe I should go to bed. My pessimism is showing. Just been on 5 hour Pixel Junk Monsters bender with my better half and daylight is pouring through the cracks in the blinds.

We love that fucking game!
Real talk

FelipeMGM

That Verendus dude said we will see old IP's comeback. Sony has a lot of those and probably will throw some at small studios and make them digital titles.

Are there are a lot of examples of old games being rebooted by completely different studios that end up appealing to the fans of the original games?

Top Bottom