• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why oh why did Nintendo announce Star Fox Wii U at last year's E3? ohmanohgodohmanoh

Gleethor

Or rather, why did they say anything without officially showing anything? Looking back, the only thing we would have lost from their Digital Event last year was the short tease of Miyamoto playing blurry Star Fox in the background. It was neat, sure, but after a year of people feeling mostly ambivalent towards the project due to not seeing or hearing anything about it at all, I think it would have been better served as an announcement at this year's event. As it stands, this is all we have to look at:
starfoxwiiu.jpg

I get that Nintendo is probably aware of how Star Fox (along with Metroid and F-Zero) has a very vocal fanbase and wanted to get those fans excited at the first available opportunity, but I don't think that their game lineup last year was lacking at all. If they had waited for this year, the announcement and subsequent trailer/gameplay of a new Miyamoto-driven Star Fox that was releasing this year could have been one of Nintendo's best E3 surprises in years (if the game looks to be any good, that is).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited to see the game but after a year hearing almost nothing and seeing even less, it's hard to to envision even the basic shape of the game, if that makes sense. Like, Zelda is still pretty far away and info is scarce, but we at least have a rough idea of what they're going for and what to expect, so we can hype ourselves accordingly.

Of course, they could still totally blow me away with the game this year despite all of this, and I think some of these feelings stem from the fact that I'm expecting this year to be lighter on new game announcements than last, so their lineup this year could (potentially) be in need of that surprise Star Fox oomph. How do you guys feel about it?

It was definitely a mistake. Nintendo does so poorly with announcing things - either they have long gaps of announcements, or they announce games too early.

So you can manage your hype levels appropriately when the only two real announcements from Nintendo are like Paper Mario Wii U and Animal Crossing U.

Hatchtag

Banned
Didn't they say they were looking for a development partner? That could've been it, they wanted to shop it around.

Not to mention the Wii U's been doing so poorly they want to do all they can to drum up excitement for it.

watershed

Banned
It was definitely a mistake. Nintendo does so poorly with announcing things - either they have long gaps of announcements, or they announce games too early.

I'd say the opposite. Nintendo has gotten really good at announcing things and keeping a steady stream of information lately. The only issues with games being announced way too far in advance stem from that one Nintendo Direct back when they revealed Xenoblade X (then just called X), that Fire Emblem crossover, Yarn Yoshi, and other stuff out of desperation.

Since then, I think Nintendo has found a good rhythm with reveals, further details, and release. The only major impact is delayed games like Zelda WiiU. Other than that, I like their current cycle of teases, reveals, etc.

Mory Dunz

So you can manage your hype levels appropriately when the only two real announcements from Nintendo are like Paper Mario Wii U and Animal Crossing U.

Even this is unlikely considering what Int Sys has been busy with.

Next Level and Retro and maybe Alphadream could maybe announce something. (And maybe EAD Tokyo)

ReyVGM

I hope I'm completely wrong about this, but I think Star Fox will be a low budget conservative title. Remember those Konami Rebirth titles for the Wii? They were nice versions of Castlevania, Contra and Gradius, but extremely short and simplistic.

Because when everybody is convinced they'll drop the hardware at the first opportunity, they have to announce things far ahead of release to ensure people the system will be supported for long enough to be worth buying.

They forgot how building excitement works. See also: Skyward Sword and Zelda U's reveals vs. previous Zelda reveals.

Metroid Prime 3's reveal was fairly laughable too though.

Geg

I don't even remember them showing anything. I thought they just showed a blurred screen that was obviously Star Fox

Neiteio

I don't even remember them showing anything. I thought they just showed a blurred screen that was obviously Star Fox
That's all the public got to see, but the press got to go hands-on with a barebones prototype behind closed doors. There were impressions of it last E3. Since then, Nintendo has presumably secured a partner to help flesh out the rest of the game.

Nintendo is so hype starved these days. It seems like we now know of a games development almost the day it gets green light. Then for the next 3-5 years they drip feed every feature of the game as it is developed so that launch day we know almost every small detail about the game.

Nintendo deserves harsh criticism for this. Any other gen we would have had way more first party output. As is we have no new Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, Fzero, or 3D Mario. It's unforgivable. They're masking terrible output with news of features leaked way too early.

big_z

did they actually announce it at e3? I thought they were showing a basic gameplay demo behind closed doors and a pic got leaked which forced them to say they were starting production on a new starbox.

I hope I'm completely wrong about this, but I think Star Fox will be a low budget conservative title. Remember those Konami Rebirth titles for the Wii? They were nice versions of Castlevania, Contra and Gradius, but extremely short and simplistic.

considering the gameplay seems inspired by Face Raiders(3ds) I would agree that the game is likely to be smaller release. i don't see Nintendo funding a blockbuster for the wii u at this point, zelda was going to be the last one and its moved to nx. instead theyll use the wii ui as an opportunity to experiment with smaller ideas.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Even this is unlikely considering what Int Sys has been busy with.

Next Level and Retro and maybe Alphadream could maybe announce something. (And maybe EAD Tokyo)

Er, what have they been busy with? Besides fire emblem which is almost done and supervising with atlus.

Nintendo is so hype starved these days. It seems like we now know of a games development almost the day it gets green light. Then for the next 3-5 years they drip feed every feature of the game as it is developed so that launch day we know almost every small detail about the game.

Nintendo deserves harsh criticism for this. Any other gen we would have had way more first party output. As is we have no new Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda, Fzero, or 3D Mario. It's unforgivable. They're masking terrible output with news of features leaked way too early.
Here we go blowing things up.. "unforgivable"? smh

Neiteio

Then how do you explain the fact we didn't know about Majora's Mask 3D until a few months before its release, despite the fact it was in development for several years? They didn't even talk about it at E3.

We also didn't know of Captain Toad, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Splatoon, etc., until last E3. They'll all be out before this E3.

The Giant

Banned
Don't see how this is an issue. Tons of games get annonnced a year or two in advance. Then we don't hear anything about until a year later, with details and a date.

Why is this an issue with Starfox?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

You really gotta think these things through before you post.

Why oh why do people complain about games not being out yet. I'd much have them announce it early to drown out complaints of the lack of Starfox.

Then how do you explain the fact we didn't know about Majora's Mask 3D until a few months before its release, despite the fact it was in development for several years? They didn't even talk about it at E3.

We also didn't know of Captain Toad, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Splatoon, etc., until last E3. They'll all be out before this E3.
But now we know everything about Splatoon, and it's not even out. The others are B tier. I was mainly referring to A tier stuff.

Crayolan

I'm not drawing the connection between the first part and second part.

Neiteio

But now we know everything about Splatoon, and it's not even out. The others are B tier. I was mainly referring to A tier stuff.
Splatoon is out the week after next. Much of what we know about Splatoon came out relatively recently, which is typical for publishers in general.

Many publishers do countdowns to countdowns for CGI trailers a year or so in advance, and then delay that game another year or two, only to still somehow be a trainwreck at launch. I much prefer Nintendo's approach.

Dmax3901

I think Zelda and Star Fox Wii U were shown/talked about way too early. Unfortunately this is nothing new for Nintendo.

Actually Zelda wasn't too bad, that first short teaser with laser robot was incredible, the 'gameplay' footage at the VGAs last year was really stupid though.

I fully expect that game to be completely unrecognisable when we next see it.

Star Fox and all those Miyamoto side projects? I guess they thought they had to show more but god damn if that wasn't a hype killer both then and now.

jwhit28

I'm not understanding the issue. Whether they announced last year or this year I don't think it would change the release date. It's not like they announced a release date then kicked the release date down the road the way they just did LoZ Wii U (wow it just dawned on me we don't even have a subtitle) So are you mad that Nintendo announcing the game messed with how you perform your own mental gymnastics?

Neiteio

I wonder if they'll take the "Kirby Triple Deluxe" approach with Star Fox, where it has a main campaign and then a couple side offerings. In this case, the equivalent of Kirby Fighters and Dedede's Drum Dash could be fleshed-out versions of Project Robo and Project Guard.

CHC

Not to sound too cynical but... to sell more Wii Us.

And it worked, a little tiny bit. I bought one because of some upcoming releases, like Zelda, that still are not out. I have faith they will be good games, but I think Nintendo jumped the gun on announcing to try (once again) to garner excitement about the struggling system when the reality is that nothing but Smash and Mario Kart were really on the table for quite a while.

I think Zelda and Star Fox Wii U were shown/talked about way too early. Unfortunately this is nothing new for Nintendo.

Actually Zelda wasn't too bad, that first short teaser with laser robot was incredible, the 'gameplay' footage at the VGAs last year was really stupid though.

I fully expect that game to be completely unrecognisable when we next see it.

Star Fox and all those Miyamoto side projects? I guess they thought they had to show more but god damn if that wasn't a hype killer both then and now.
I'm really hoping for a majority of levels being rail shooters. If they stray from sf64 yet again people will be disappointed.

Neiteio

If you've been following the game you know most if not all the weapons, number of levels, multiplayer details, and every single mode and feature. Lack of Content is the main criticism for Splatoon it seems.
This isn't true. There are entire swathes of content, such as Rainmaker mode, which are being withheld from us and reviewers alike. They will be rolled out later this summer in free updates. What we currently know about Splatoon is only a portion of what it will ultimately become.

AdanVC

Yes omfg they should have keep it in secret till this years E3 because it's kinda annoying it's been a year and we have seen ZERO footage of it, not even a teaser. Can't believe that pic of Miyamoto playing a build of Star Fox wich was probably coded in 3 weeks is the only thing we have about the game. At this point that game could be either delayed till next year or be like Super Mario 3D World wich was revealed at E3 2013 and released right away that november and end up being an amazing game with tons of content. It could be the same with Star Fox, fingers crossed.

This... Yoshi's Wolly World, Xenoblade X, SMT x FE are anoter examples. Those three were revealed on January 2013! That is 2 and a half years ago and we still don't have none of those three games yet. Only Xenoblade X but only in Japan :(

This... Yoshi's Wolly World, Xenoblade X, SMT x FE are anoter examples. Those three were revealed on January 2013! That is 2 and a half years ago and we still don't have none of those three games yet. Only Xenoblade X but only in Japan :(

It's all part of Panic Mode Nintendo to stop the fans from jumping out buildings.

Jintor

Man remember when Shiggy casually tossed out during a Q+A that Pikmin 3 was in development (praise unto Remo hallowed be thy name) and when people had to ambush Reggie to get him to admit... what was it, Fire Emblem Awakening existed?

Good times.

Cipherr

I dont really see the big deal. Itll probably release within 18 - 24 months more than likely. These days with stuff like FF Versus, TLG, Alan Wake and even Red Dead IIRC were all announced LOOOOOONG before they released. (Im talking 4 to 5 years if not more)

It happens these days. But I've stopped blaming them, because if they don't mention stuff early, you get threads assuming that because there's no announced games for next year or something weird, that the hardware is being discontinued or replaced or some other weird nonsense.

Top Bottom