• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metroid Other M Drinking Game

So years ago I played Other M. It's ok, a cool Team Ninja action game. But it's also utterly insulting to both women and the Metroid franchise. Walking home today I saw it available for £2.50 and, seeing as I just got dumped I decided to play through it and make it a drinking game.

I will drink every time:

Samus monologues
Samus mentions the baby
Samus talks about her history with Adam.
The game treats feminine traits as weakness or is generally sexist
The game contradicts past games
A plot point is ignored or dropped
Anthony acts like a cartoon stereotype from the 80s.
Every time Adam gives me permission to use a power I already have, because Samus is a woman and he's a man so he knows best about these things

I'm ten minutes in and I have had to drink a considerable amount already. I will continue posting my thoughts.

"The baby" was mentioned 9 times in the first 5 minutes.
Anthony called Samus "Princess" in a smooth jive talking sort of way
She has monologued about her past with Adam,
Anthony did a creepy head bob thing.

I am still in the introduction. I'm fucked.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Dude please stop you're going to die!
Playing the game sober is already a frustrating experience, I can't imagine dealing with the dumb ass combat totally trashed.

The good news is that the auto dodge makes the game so easy even the most inebriated could win.

You at least have to be moving to trigger the auto dodge :p

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Have you asked Malkovich for permission before doing this?

fb0.jpg

It's whatever I have in the house right now. Currently it's a giant Smirnoff Ice. Because I'm a teenager apparently.

Anyway Just past the intro and I can neither use missiles or bombs, despite them being integral in the tutorial and them not being taken away at the end like in Prime games. The game tells me I don't have "Adam's permission". Does Samus have a Daddy Dom thing going on here?

I also got ambushed (as in Samus did and fell off a walkway) by the most basic enemy in the franchise. Are they trying to make her look awful.

Neither of these really falls within the rules I set out yet I still feel I should drink. This is going to be one hell of an evening.

There is always hope. It may not seem like it right now, but there are always people that care about you and want to help.

1 (800) 273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Please don't end it all like this.

It's whatever I have in the house right now. Currently it's a giant Smirnoff Ice. Because I'm a teenager apparently.

Lager + Smirnoff Ice + probably wine + the inevitable spirits at the back of the booze cabinet which are just there but nobody ever wants = severe alcohol poisoning within the hour.

PetrCobra

Anyway Just past the intro and I can neither use missiles or bombs, despite them being integral in the tutorial and them not being taken away at the end like in Prime games. The game tells me I don't have "Adam's permission". Does Samus have a Daddy Dom thing going on here?

I also got ambushed (as in Samus did and fell off a walkway) by the most basic enemy in the franchise. Are they trying to make her look awful.

Neither of these really falls within the rules I set out yet I still feel I should drink. This is going to be one hell of an evening.

ouch... whatever you do, stop with the mixing

just go out and buy more beers

Oh shit there's slow walking bits like Gears of War? With nothing happening? How did I not remember this? I actually had fairly fond memories of Other M. I liked the Ninja Gaiden-esque agility.

Nah bruv I'm Scottish it's all good.

Oh shit there's slow walking bits like Gears of War? With nothing happening? How did I not remember this? I actually had fairly fond memories of Other M. I liked the Ninja Gaiden-esque agility.

You should really add the *Thumbs down* moments into your drinking game, that's a major plot dumb thing.

RagnarokX

So years ago I played Other M. It's ok, a cool Team Ninja action game. But it's also utterly insulting to both women and the Metroid franchise. Walking home today I saw it available for £2.50 and, seeing as I just got dumped I decided to play through it and make it a drinking game.

I will drink every time:

Samus monologues
Samus mentions the baby
Samus talks about her history with Adam.
The game treats feminine traits as weakness or is generally sexist
The game contradicts past games
A plot point is ignored or dropped
Anthony acts like a cartoon stereotype from the 80s.
Every time Adam gives me permission to use a power I already have, because Samus is a woman and he's a man so he knows best about these things

I'm ten minutes in and I have had to drink a considerable amount already. I will continue posting my thoughts.

"The baby" was mentioned 9 times in the first 5 minutes.
Anthony called Samus "Princess" in a smooth jive talking sort of way
She has monologued about her past with Adam,
Anthony did a creepy head bob thing.

I am still in the introduction. I'm fucked.

All mentions of baby are in the intro.
Both Anthony and Adam are sarcastic in their nicknames for Samus.
Adam and Samus' relationship would be the same if they were the same or opposite genders. Adam outranks her in the organization Samus works for.
Samus is generally the most powerful godlike being on the entire ship. Adam's team couldn't even open the front door without her and everyone else is killed rather easily. The deus ex machina gun later is pretty stupid, though.

Adam and Samus' relationship would be the same if they were the same or opposite genders. Adam outranks her in the organization Samus works for.
Samus is generally the most powerful godlike being on the entire ship. Adam's team couldn't even open the front door without her and everyone else is killed rather easily. The deus ex machina gun later is pretty stupid, though.
Don't bother. The game is evil and blah blah blah

I mean shit the game's combat and movement is pretty much Ninja Gaiden. Probably the game's only saving grace.

daveo42

Banned
I'm thinking we won't be getting any additional updates from OP because he'll black out or die trying to keep up with Other M.

But Samus is a freelance bounty hunter who endangers her own life until her 'superior' authorises the use of tech she has built into her suit?

You should really add the *Thumbs down* moments into your drinking game, that's a major plot dumb thing.

Definitely. Already had more slow walking. And another monologue!

OK. First boss. Bug man thing.

Daddy Adam just authorised my missiles even though he's not my boss and we met by accident. Lucky me! And now he's telling me how to kill the boss like a fairy in Zelda. Yaaay. I'm so glad big strong Daddy Adam is here.

Top Bottom