• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

Busaiku

Gah, I conflated it with the Guilty Gear numbers.
It seems to be getting hype too, but 1,000 still seems like too big a hurdle.
Though CEO might be more telling. I don't necessarily think it'll get more there, but if it stays consistent, things might be looking good.

Onemic

-good characters

Juri
Abel
Rufus
Poison
Viper
Hakan
Oni
Gouken

- bad design but would be ok if char came back with all-new moves

Fuerte

- all-time crap character design, sub-Jar Jar Binks tier

Seth
Decapre

I'd be ok if these guys came back:

Oni
Juri
Poison
Gouken
Hakan

Dumb characters that I wish were deleted from SF completely:

Abel
Viper
Decapre
Rufus
Seth
El fuerte

smurfx

get some go again
Yo sponsor me to go to E3 Kadey.
there is almost no point of going to e3 these days. i would maybe go to the conferences but it's not like i would go out of my way either. i would rather go to an fgc major. ceo>e3 since ceo will also have sf5 playable.

SF4 at Stunfest had 30k viewers right before top 3. After the 2 hour break it climbed back up to 25-28k viewers.

If that was CEO or SCR GF(if it were not delayed) then that would have reached 60k IMO. Tournaments outside of the US are never going to have the biggest numbers for a FGC event.

hitsugi

there is almost no point of going to e3 these days. i would maybe go to the conferences but it's not like i would go out of my way either. i would rather go to an fgc major. ceo>e3 since ceo will also have sf5 playable.

E3 was much, much different a few years ago. It's still good if you have a media badge and some networking skills though. Lot of behind the doors stuff that the general attendees don't see.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

E3 will probably have it first but yeah.

If that was CEO or SCR GF(if it were not delayed) then that would have reached 60k IMO. Tournaments outside of the US are never going to have the biggest numbers for a FGC event.

I think it would have reached 45k if they started earlier and didn't have the 2 hour break. They started at about top 16.

The first part of the Daigo vs Momochi match already has 215k views on niconico.

I wish I saw it concurrent when it was actually happening. It's such a good match but I heard the results beforehand so I could guess how certain matches turned out, ruining some of the hype for me. Damn good play regardless. I also want to see Daigo's Ryu vs. Momochi's Cody that sent Daigo to losers. it seemed that was also pretty interesting as well.

Still trying to decide between using stick and pad for MKX.

Playing on stick feels natural since I played a lot of Injustice. Pad feels fine too.. might be able to play on both tbh lol

Zissou

Blocking is never fruitless. Give me the details and I can tell you where blocking could have been used to reverse the situation.

In other fighters I play, blocking successfully long enough eventually returns the game to a neutral situation. My main game is marvel and while blocking in marvel can be very difficult, if you block well and pushblock appropriately, you get to play again. In xrd, it seems to break out of a defensive situation, you have to know when to press a button- like my friend mains Slayer (though this is a problem against most of the cast), and once he gets in he will stay in indefinitely unless I find the right place to press jab, but since I'm mostly guessing, most of the time I get counterhit and get wrecked, haha. If I don't press a button I lose slowly, and if I press a button, more often than not, I lose very quickly. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Kimosabae

Banned
In other fighters I play, blocking successfully long enough eventually returns the game to a neutral situation. My main game is marvel and while blocking in marvel can be very difficult, if you block well and pushblock appropriately, you get to play again. In xrd, it seems to break out of a defensive situation, you have to know when to press a button- like my friend mains Slayer (though this is a problem against most of the cast), and once he gets in he will stay in indefinitely unless I find the right place to press jab, but since I'm mostly guessing, most of the time I get counterhit and get wrecked, haha. If I don't press a button I lose slowly, and if I press a button, more often than not, I lose very quickly. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

lol, man. You really don't see how being relatively new to a game can make blocking seem harder? Marvel's mixups are vastly harder to block. Most of the good mixups are almost pure guesses due to the speed of that game.

No, jabbing out of pressure is not typically a great idea - especially against Slayer. You're just asking for a Dandy CH combo. This isn't Virtua Fighter. Jabbing out of pressure is almost solely for when you think your opponent is going for a pressure reset with something with slower startup. It just works more often than not, because we're not playing at a high-level.

Faultless works the same way Advance Guard does - Faultless the right part of a string and you can be freed from pressure or even rewarded with a whiff punish.

You need to humble yourself, and take more time learning Slayer's patterns.

Beats

you can also try instant blocking which can help you escape or punish moves that would be unpunishable otherwise.

at least that's what I learned in the how to fight Slayer mission in game.

MK is weird to me on the stick. I have nothing against the block button. I have played Soul Calibur and VF fine but since MK has 4 normals, it makes it feel awkward to have a 5th button that you need at a moments notice. Usually my thumb presses block for SC and VF, but for MK my pinky has to hit the 3rd button on the top or sometimes I try the 3rd button on the bottom row but it just doesn't feel right to me, since I like to keep my normals in a square like KOF. So that's why I play it on pad because having to just press the trigger feels natural to me.

Zissou

lol, man. You really don't see how being relatively new to a game can make blocking seem harder? Marvel's mixups are vastly harder to block. Most of the good mixups are almost pure guesses due to the speed of that game.

No, jabbing out of pressure is not typically a great idea - especially against Slayer. You're just asking for a Dandy CH combo. This isn't Virtua Fighter. Jabbing out of pressure is almost solely for when you think your opponent is going for a pressure reset with something with slower startup. It just works more often than not, because we're not playing at a high-level.

Faultless works the same way Advance Guard does - Faultless the right part of a string and you can be freed from pressure or even rewarded with a whiff punish.

If I don't press a button I literally never get to play again. I'm just blocking until my guard bar is cranked high enough for 'it's late' to be an automatic CH and I die. You can only faultless defend for like 2 seconds until you run out of meter. I feel like I am humble about xrd- I know I'm trash at it, haha.

Seyavesh

you can also try instant blocking which can help you escape or punish moves that would be unpunishable otherwise.

at least that's what I learned in the how to fight Slayer mission in game.

ib lets you punish mappa, his only safe-ish dandy step followup (claw) and his slide so its pretty important

if you get stuck in pressure vs him and you're not cornered don't be afraid to backdash out. if you're cornered or not feeling backdash/IB then you can also attempt to superjump +FD out
obviously these all carry risks but IBing is mega weird to me as a new player so i tend to rely on those escapes alot vs that char

Kimosabae

Banned
If I don't press a button I literally never get to play again. I'm just blocking until my guard bar is cranked high enough for 'it's late' to be an automatic CH and I die. You can only faultless defend for like 2 seconds until you run out of meter. I feel like I am humble about xrd- I know I'm trash at it, haha.

2 seconds is a long ass time to faultless. That's why you have to be selective about what you faultless. It's not free. f.s, c. s and 5k are good moves to faultless, at which point you can expect him to take some type of risk to get, in like IAD, where you'll have 6p or 5k ready. It's Late puts him at a disadvantage if you IB it at which point you can jab or Backdash. Dandy is Slayer taking a risk too, you just have to not be mashing when he decides to do it.

Cosmo, still want Smash matches?

Hope everything is ok too, don't even know what triggered means. Its kind of terrifying when the cops say "It'll be a better place than this".

What does triggered mean?

Hope everything's ok
When people undergo severe trauma, there are certain events, or even thoughts, that "trigger" a strong physiological response. They respond as though they are experiencing the initial trauma again, even if there is no danger at all. For example, my wife has been assaulted by an older man before. Last summer, our neighbor, an old man, yelled at her (for no reason). This "triggered" her past trauma, making her have an emotional breakdown and creating a permanent state of anxiety in the house. Just seeing the neighbor is now a "trigger" that sets her off and makes her feel anguish. My wife is in therapy for PTSD for this - it is something that should be taken seriously, even if jackasses on the internet have tried to turn it into a meme through exaggerating the importance of social awareness regarding triggers.

You might think of it like a phobia, if it helps, and the trigger is the item that you are phobic off. Many military veterans are "triggered" by loud, sudden sounds, and rape and abuse victims can be triggered by even basic signs of authority from men. A student of mine that I am certain has been beaten by his father is triggered by any authoritative action I take. Even telling him to stop doing something like flick a light switch on and off in class (nicely) has made him curl under a desk and sit there for an hour.

I am also free to Slayer pressure. I need a video to help me. FD is pretty crappy compared to Marvel pushblock, and it costs meter. I actually like super jumping out of pressure into an air dash with Zato.

Sometimes I wish I played a character with a DP in Xrd just so I didn't have to spend 10 seconds blocking. Haha. It has been so long - did Testament have a DP? I don't recall Dizzy having one.

OceanBlue

If there's a fighting game in which I feel that just letting people do whatever they want to you on defense won't work, it's SF4. I feel like, in that game, if people realize you just block all day you'll never get out of pressure.

Maybe it's just because the average SF4 player you play online is pretty good now.

Dahbomb

Yeah I hate how triggered has been turned into a meme to make fun of people with problems. It's also started to be misused and people just throw it out when they see or hear a bad word, "OMG did you just say the D word? Stop triggering me!"

I hope things work out for Annie, that's a rough situation to be in.

OceanBlue

Holy shit, just read Anne's Twitter. I'm not sure what's going on but don't you have a legal right to know why you're being detained by police? The whole thing sounds fucked up. Hope the situation quickly returns to normal.

Clawww

I'm struggling way more with offense in Xrd than defense. I just can't figure out how to stay in without getting blown up, and conversions in general are really hard--by the time I've hitconfirmed I'm out of range for my combo options or I'm too slow to open them up and they reset the situation. I'm getting a lot of time out losses actually lol.. I'm just never getting enough damage in. Combos in training mode are manageable but it's just a slopfest in matches.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
If there's a fighting game in which I feel that just letting people do whatever they want to you on defense won't work, it's SF4. I feel like, in that game, if people realize you just block all day you'll never get out of pressure.

Maybe it's just because the average SF4 player you play online is pretty good now.
or like any game with good throws

fader

I'm struggling way more with offense in Xrd than defense. I just can't figure out how to stay in without getting blown up, and conversions in general are really hard--by the time I've hitconfirmed I'm out of range for my combo options or I'm too slow to open them up and they reset the situation. I'm getting a lot of time out losses actually lol.. I'm just never getting enough damage in. Combos in training mode are manageable but it's just a slopfest in matches.

Tip: Knock em down, run it hommie

Kimosabae

Banned
I actually sympathize with Claww. That's my big problem with Xrd. The game's neutral variance is high and requires very specific responses in all situations in regards to confirms. It's my biggest gripe with the game. I would say the series, but +R didn't give me this problem. At least, not to the point where it felt debilitating and matches looked like low-level Marvel.

Like Marvel, it's a game that has to be grinded for tons of hours routinely to know what to do in scramble situations and that's what's holding me back, I just don't think I have the time/dedication atm to gain that kind of experience. The fact that the game is so matchup specific makes things even worse.

I also still suck on arcade sticks after 6 years.

The worst part about struggling with offense in a fighter is that your defense suffers as a result. You become too eager to work out your bugs and get blown the fuck up.

PKSvGO4.gif

need more pc anime games for tourneys!

Top Bottom