• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges; Face Extradition to U.S. - NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

tumblr_nels64g9mG1s48ibpo1_500.gif

Exactly my face.

I am sat in a very nice hotel that isn't being raided by anyone, laughing my ass off.

zychi

Banned
Arrests everyone at the top of the sport but still can't get the name of the sport right. /murica.

Bernie ecclestone next please!
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...ed-don-t-blame-usa-real-reason-123344142.html
The word "soccer" is actually British. It derives from the game's proper name, association football, with the "soc" bit taken from the word "association" .

The reason it came into popular usage was simple: in the 19th century, football and rugby were both commonly known as football, the former dubbed "association football" and the latter "rugby football". But both phrases are a bit of a mouthful, however, so they were popularly shortened to "soccer" and "rugger" to keep things simple.

We just kept it how it was. You guys got all crazy and changed it to futbol.

Great to see them go for the throat but soccer corruption is deeper than just the heads of FIFA. Hopefully this has a major knock on effect for the sport.

Stupid thing, but I can't wait to see/hear John Oliver's reaction to this.

Nothing stupid about it. His FIFA story isn't particularly deep, but he seemed genuinely conflicted about the fact that the sport he's loved since childhood has become uncontrollably corrupt. The satisfaction will be real.

jonno394

Did any of these crimes take place in the USA? if not, how can they be tried and potentially go to trial in the USA?

(Not knowledgeable on law tbh)

cdyhybrid

Goodell next, please.

Funny thing is you wouldn't be calling for his head if Kraft could have bought his way out of Deflategate punishment.

Pats fans, SMH.

Arrests everyone at the top of the sport but still can't get the name of the sport right. /murica.

Bernie ecclestone next please!

After we destroy FIFA the world will be forced to call it soccer, as the British originally intended.

Did any of these crimes take place in the USA? if not, how can they be tried and potentially go to trial in the USA?

I imagine it can't be too hard to pin them on something, considering US bids for World Cups would result in official visits AND there's so much money flowing through NYC anyway.

idlewild_

I was wondering the same thing, turns out it was in the NYT article, lol:

United States law gives the Justice Department wide authority to bring cases against foreign nationals living abroad, an authority that prosecutors have used repeatedly in international terrorism cases. Those cases can hinge on the slightest connection to the United States, like the use of an American bank or Internet service provider.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 7m7 minutes ago
BREAKING: Swiss authorities: 6 soccer officials arrested, suspected of getting, paying millions in bribes

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 59s60 seconds ago
Sky Sources: Thai #FIFA official Worawi Makudi was one of several officials put into an unmarked car at the Baur au Lac hotel in Zurich

jonno394

What would you want to happen to FIFA?

An international effort Co ordinated by interpol Individuals dealt with in their respective countries.

The idea that if I committed a crime, I could be arrested and tried in America due to having some (potentially) tiny link to the USA is not right imo. Arrested and tried by your nations system not by a legal system who think they Can police the world.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Strange that no Portuguese football newspaper (and there's three) is reporting this

If they really are going to be tried in the US, they'll get a slap on the wrist. No one has been brought to justice for the housing market crash, or the fuck up on wall street. Basically all corruption charges.

Just get them out of any power within FIFA please

That is because those were systematic issues. It is almost impossible to say "this specific person was corrupt and led to the crash".

Not even slightly the same situation here.

Piggus

An international effort Co ordinated by interpol Individuals dealt with in their respective countries.

The idea that if I committed a crime, I could be arrested and tried in America due to having some (potentially) tiny link to the USA is not right imo. Arrested and tried by your nations system not by a legal system who think they Can police the world.

"Tiny" link?

Hahahahahahahahaha. Funny.

The rest of the world sat on their asses while this was going on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You guys are being wayyyyy too optimistic.

The FBI has been investigating FIFA for a couple of years now, these arrests are likely a result of that investigation and if that is the case then then they have something pretty solid. They wouldn't make a move like this unless their case was airtight.

nasax

The idea that if I committed a crime, I could be arrested and tried in America due to having some (potentially) tiny link to the USA is not right imo. Arrested and tried by your nations system not a country who think they rule the world.

From the article:

United States law gives the Justice Department wide authority to bring cases against foreign nationals living abroad, an authority that prosecutors have used repeatedly in international terrorism cases. Those cases can hinge on the slightest connection to the United States, like the use of an American bank or Internet service provider.

Switzerland’s treaty with the United States is unusual in that it gives Swiss authorities the power to refuse extradition for tax crimes, but on matters of general criminal law, the Swiss have agreed to turn people over for prosecution in American courts.

Chichikov

The idea that if I committed a crime, I could be arrested and tried in America due to having some (potentially) tiny link to the USA is not right imo. Arrested and tried by your nations system not a country who think they rule the world.
I agree these laws are problematic, but for once, they're used for the public good.

Alucrid

Banned

*are policing the world

you're welcome

-america

Bit of a tangent, but I wonder if EA will rebrand the FIFA series after all of this. Those since I think more people in the US know of FIFA as a soccer game than as a regulatory board, that's probably a bad idea.

jonno394

FIFA's connection to the US us anything but tiny. That's what this is about.

Yes I know but fact that the USA have powers to arrest and bring to trial people from around the world, even if the only link is a US ISP, then that's ridiculous.

Perhaps that's a problem regarding tenuous links, but that's not what's happening here. The link isn't tiny. And besides, the world has chosen to do nothing. The Swiss and the USA have decided to buck that trend. The USA can't stand by if say, bribe money is being moved en masse through our banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom