• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Could a new Sonic game be underway and releasing this year?

Village

What if its a code mame for a theme or idea going forward rather than just a game.

Nah
You play as arnold rose, rogue the bat, and flame the cat.

Joking about bad fan art aside, i would legitimately read a adventure time style gender swapped sonic comic. Just for a "hold my ear rings/hold my inhibitor rings joke " just for that one joke.

maybe Sonic Rush 2 for Android /iOS

Sonic_Rush_Adventure.jpg

sup

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I want a Lost World successor. I've said it before. Lost World had tons of potential and a perfected version of the Lost World style is what they must go for. I don't want a return to the boost formula. I'm very much over it and it is kind of limited. I really look forward to seeing bow Sonic Team can improve that style of gameplay with better controls and more focused level design.

TreIII

in the comics

Yeah, I know that's been going on.

Still...I'd love to see AM2 make a sequel, for more than one reason. The best fighting game devs that Sega has access to, and among the best in the field in general, and their work is unappreciated/unknown to most console players.

Even if it meant using the Sonic brand, that'd still be something.

Neoxon

Sonic Mach 2 sounds like one of two things:

-Dimps made boost based 2D or 3D platformer
-SUMO Digital racing game, maybe this time without cars (why else would they not keep it in the current SEGA racing series)? <--- Probably the most likely since it's been a few years since SAASRT

Or it could just be another mediocre free to play mobile game, haha.
I'd be okay with the latter. Not too sure about Dimps lately.

Shojx

I want a Lost World successor. I've said it before. Lost World had tons of potential and a perfected version of the Lost World style is what they must go for. I don't want a return to the boost formula. I'm very much over it and it is kind of limited. I really look forward to seeing bow Sonic Team can improve that style of gameplay with better controls and more focused level design.

I'm also over the boost formula.

I thought Lost World was an interesting albeit flawed attempt at something new (for Sonic), so I wouldn't mind if they wanted to try and perfect it in a new game.

That being said, I don't really have any expectations for Sonic anymore, so if they want to try something new again, I'm all for that as well.

TimmiT

Whatever it is, I doubt that it's a small spin-off game. SEGA usually doesn't bother with voice acting for those.

Yeah, I know that's been going on.

Still...I'd love to see AM2 make a sequel, for more than one reason. The best fighting game devs that Sega has access to, and among the best in the field in general, and their work is unappreciated/unknown to most console players.

Even if it meant using the Sonic brand, that'd still be something.

Everything I love about Sonic the Fighters - and in turn, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix - is the aesthetic. I can't imagine a sequel would keep that today. :(

What is BigRedButton's team doing now? I heard they're still working with Sega on a project...

And Orbot was in a recent episode of Sonic Boom.....

Sonic Boom PS4/XB1 version coming right up.....

Spinluck

For no reason? I think 3 consecutive games with the same gameplay formula is a good reason to change it. Stuck forever in this one just because it works, it doesnt mean another formula cant work.

What are you gonna do, stay safe until Sonic Generations 12 is done?

I dont think you believe this at all. It's the exact same formula, but each game have it's own extra gimmick. Unleashed had werehog (thing that I dont dislike), Colors had whisps, and Generations classic Sonic.

Modern Sonic gameplay have been the same in this three games, even if it have improved.

3D Mario has been the same for nearly 20 years. Only thing that has really changed are level design philosophies and power ups.

The reason 3D Sonic hasn't been able to do this is because they have yet to find something that works, something that they can build and iterate on.

I think somewhere in between Generations and Lost World lies the key.

Foffy

Banned
Do we even know if it's mobile, or a traditional game? Mobile has kind of been a total afterthought for the franchise, save for Sonic Runners...

Which strangely isn't even available to Americans yet. You literally have to pirate a free game to play it now, or have an account linked to Canada.

Berordn

Isn't the Nintendo - Sega contract over? The new Sonic game would have a lot more potential being on PS4/XB1.

Except for how Sonic games historically sell better on Nintendo consoles than anything else.

I'd say it has a lot more potential being multiplat on Wii U/PS4/XB1 with a 3DS version farmed out because money.

I dont think it's Sonic All Stars Racing 3, guys. Think about it, why would Orbot be a character in it? And previous games in the SASR series reused voice clips from their respective games, so I doubt they got the voice actors to record lines specifically for it.

There is the unfortunate possibility that it may be Sonic Boom 2, lets just hope it isn't though.
Please be anything but Boom 2

Why wouldn't Orbot be in a new Sonic Racing? He's been a recurring character since Unleashed.

TreIII

Everything I love about Sonic the Fighters - and in turn, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix - is the aesthetic. I can't imagine a sequel would keep that today. :(
Very true. At the very least, it wouldn't be using Classic Sonic at all.

But I would like to think that if AM2 was making another Sonic fighting game again, it'd still be something that would fit their aesthetic best. The VF5 generation of games still has a lot more in common with how AM2 usually does things, as opposed to trying to "keep up" with what everybody else is doing, at least.

Maybe it's a Sonic Musou!

I mean, with all the characters the franchise has, I could definitely see one working.

Heh, now that'd be a Sonic game that I'd actually go all in Day 1 with. Because unlike Sonic Team, I actually have more reason to trust Koei/Omega Force's products and know exactly what I'd be getting into.

And besides, it wouldn't be the first time Koei's made a product that's more relevant to Western interests than back home.

The Age of Sonic Rising: Revelations Revengance 2

3DS exclusive, Shadow is the protagonist, Tails is the romantic interest. Made by High Voltage Studios.

Please be excited.

Red Devil

yes. it will be ps4/xb1 maybe pc 1080p 60fps and hailed as the first true sonic game since.... yada yada . mark my words on this one.

More likely if such a thing exists it'll be multiplatform and will also be coming to Wii U, no matter how much people like to blame the console for Lost World and Boom.

Zareka

So it's not Sonic Team? Argh. I really want to know what they have cooking. They're the only ones making good Sonic games nowadays.
Not counting SUMO with the racing games, those are fantastic.

J@hranimo

Banned
As a long time Sonic fan who is jaded with threads on every forum in existence going through these motions, I have mixed feelings about a new console Sonic game.

TimmiT

Why wouldn't Orbot be in a new Sonic Racing? He's been a recurring character since Unleashed.

Cause the Sonic Racing games are more about SEGA than just Sonic, so small supporting characters like Orbot likely wouldn't appear. Besides that, they usually just re-use voice clips from previous games for Sumo's Sonic racing games.

I'd LOVE a full-fledged 3DS exclusive by Dimps. I'm sick of watered down versions of console games. They were at their best Sonic-wise when they made brand-new GBA and DS-exclusive Sonic games.

We are long overdue for something like this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sonic Mech?
I remember Sumo Digital hinting at something last year, after the MK8 debut...maybe a Sonic All Star Racing 3?

Top Bottom