• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can EA continue using FIFAs toxic brand?

SmartBase

Is this thread some kind of joke? Having the world cup in winter in Qatar and all the news about slave labour haven't damaged the brand one iota, and people actually think a little bit of barely-publicised corruption is enough for EA to consider dumping their best selling series?

Is this thread a joke?

OCD Guy

I do understand where you're coming from, but I think you're underestimating just how the populace at large feel about FIFA. The outpouring of virtual cheering when the news broke today is nothing you'd get if it was any other corporation.
By and large, football is akin to a religion for many, many people. Myself included.;)
FIFA was something we just had to put up with until Blatter/Platini were either deposed or died, hehe.

I'm not dismissing how big Football is (sorry Americans lol), in certain countries it's like a religion as you say.

I'm just doubting that the personal feelings of FIFA as a brand will effect how the games sell, and whether EA will lose the branding.

It would take a lot more than what was put under the spotlight today for EA to remove the branding, and for people to stop buying the games.

Here's another way to look at it, because of what happened today do you think people won't watch the next "FIFA" World Cup in 2018? Or go and watch the matches?

rhandino

Banned
Here's another way to look at it, because of what happened today do you think people won't watch the next "FIFA" World Cup in 2018?
They will not only going to see it breh! They will buy large ass TV, they will buy plane tickets, they will buy the shirt of their fave country, etc...

Chastten

Banned
The only way something is gonna change in EA's plans is if the FIFA itself is being targeted and not just some high ranking officials. No idea if that's gonna happen though, haven't time to really investigate all that's happened yet.

rrvv

People seem overestimate how much scandal will effect FIFA.

I mean before WC 2014 there talk about corruption, inequalities, pollution etc etc in Brazil. Yet when it happens, people quickly forget about it and hail WC 2014 as best one ever.

Handy Fake

I'm not dismissing how big Football is (sorry Americans lol), in certain countries it's like a religion as you say.

I'm just doubting that the personal feelings of FIFA as a brand will effect how the games sell, and whether EA will lose the branding.

It would take a lot more than what was put under the spotlight today for EA to remove the branding, and for people to stop buying the games.

Here's another way to look at it, because of what happened today do you think people won't watch the next "FIFA" World Cup in 2018?

Aye, I've addressed the more on topic stuff above. Mind, like I say, I think it's more that we've had to put up with it, rather than ignored it.
I think the 2018 World Cup will have it's own significant amount of problems with Putin having some weird homophobia drive than anything else. ;)
But that leads back to the question - why would the governing body of a sport that is meant to be inherent in promoting anti-racial and anti-homophobic sentiment happy to send the World Cup to Russia and Qatar..?
I can see a lot of these deals collapsing if Blatter ever gets fingered.

Sorry for the dragging off topic a bit, I get a bit ranty and heated on the subject, hehe.

OCD Guy

Yeah, they will see it, they will buy large ass TV, they will buy plane tickets, they will buy the shirt of their fave country, etc...

Exactly,

But according to some peoples logic they certainly won't. If what's happened today is enough for people to suddenly stop buying a computer game with FIFA branding, surely they won't support FIFA by watching matches of a tournament arranged by FIFA, and they certainly won't go and support FIFA by paying money to watch their respective countries play.

Kyari

No one will care, because its not like anyone is going to boycott FIFA or football. Because sports are literally the most important thing in the world to the people that follow them, and are too ingrained in our culture to not follow for the majority of people.

rhandino

Banned
You picked the wrong time to exit video games, Konami.
Wait a minute...

EEKR0TL.gif

Carroway

As someone mentioned before: People hate the Fifa leadership, but people love the sport. Most people. See the value in having an organization like FIFA, but they also see the problem with the management of it.

Will it have negative effects on EA? Probably not, people still love the sport, even though they might hate the custodian, just like how some people are unhappy with the NBA, NFL etc.

GHG

Gold Member
God yes. Yes we do.

Well I don't and I've been following football for as long as I can remember. Neither do my colleagues.

It surprises me that people suddenly care so much about this shit. There is corruption everywhere, every walk of life. Fifa has always been know to be corrupt, so why this is suddenly a big deal to some people I really don't know.

Internet gonna internet.

People who likes to play the FIFA games shouldnt care about the real life football and feel "ashamed" for what happened.

Fun things are fun.

After the fun and games of this morning only being the tip of the ice berg are we going to have another Tiger Woods situation here for EA?

Er wut?

Do you think all those kids waiting to play their favourite teams against their pals, or waiting to collect their favourite players in FUT give two shits about all the swindling and whatnot ?
They don't.

rrvv

Why do you think that?

Most people only recognize FIFA as "Big football organization". Then dont care how the company work and who run it.

I mean if you say "did you know FIFA is corrupt?" their reaction probably "Oh really?" then go back playing/watching football.

GlamFM

Banned
Most people only recognize FIFA as "Big football organization". Then dont care how the company work and who run it.

I mean if you say "did you know FIFA is corrupt?" their reaction probably "Oh really?" then go back playing/watching football.

I think you are completely wrong.

Handy Fake

I think you are completely wrong.

I think every bugger with even a modicum of interest in football are well aware of FIFA's - how shall we say - 'eccentricities'.
Like I've been saying, having to put up with something is completely different from not caring about it.

For every non-fan of the beatiful game:

Every year there are tens of scandals just like that. On an organization and club level.
Example:
Barcelona = currently on a transfer ban because of mistreating underage talents
Juventus = matchfixing and ref bribing scandal in 2006, were relegated to Serie B

Will anybody NOT watch the ChamionsLeague Final because of that?
Yea, thats what I thought. As soon as the next WC kicks off, we will all have forgotten this little episode

Beta Stage

Neo Member
Well for all we know, EA might be one of the companies that have been bribing FIFA for years. If it comes out that that is the case then FIFA, the game, might go bye-bye.

Our national soccer organization as itself has terrible public opinion due to being extremely shady etc., soccer fans don't care. These guys don't sell merch with their name though, but still.

Besides I think FIFA game would stay with FIFA name even if actual FIFA changed it.

GlamFM

Banned
Well for all we know, EA might be one of the companies that have been bribing FIFA for years. If it comes out that that is the case then FIFA, the game, might go bye-bye.

You´re thinking on a really small scale.

Also, baseless accusations are baseless.

Theonik

You´re thinking on a really small scale.

Also, baseless accusations are baseless.
That is down to the investigators to uncover of course. But would it really surprise you if EA bribed FIFA officials to keep in favourable terms with using the FIFA brand?

Edit: Consider this, PES had an advantage when it came to gameplay for a while before they turned to shit but what always kept them from truly taking over EA's market was the FIFA brand and lesser access to licensing. From EA's perspective, bribing FIFA officials to keep it this way would be a no brainer.

Durante

What I don't get about this whole situation is that most people don't go "No shit." in reply.

I mean, FIFA has been known as absurdly corrupt for years.

Of course they can, TC. It's sports, so no one cares. Everyone wants to just play as their favorite team and favorite players, and EA/FIFA hold the licenses.

Sepp Blatter could kill a puppy, hand it to Roger Goodell, and have Goodell barbecue and eat it on live television, and Madden and FIFA would still sell by the buttload. People really don't care about anything but their entertainment when it comes to sports in many cultures.

Trojan X

Banned
Obvious answer. EA don't care. It's all about money and FIFA is their number 1 IP. No way they will change the formula that keeps them afloat year on year.

Handy Fake

For every non-fan of the beatiful game:

Every year there are tens of scandals just like that. On an organization and club level.
Example:
Barcelona = currently on a transfer ban because of mistreating underage talents
Juventus = matchfixing and ref bribing scandal in 2006, were relegated to Serie B

Will anybody NOT watch the ChamionsLeague Final because of that?
Yea, thats what I thought. As soon as the next WC kicks off, we will all have forgotten this little episode

Champions League is UEFA, not FIFA. I'm aware they're the top governing body, but there's a difference.

EDIT: And the individual teams are peanuts compared to this.

You don't know the difference between bribing and out-bidding.
Anyways, the juicy exclusive rights EA has over Konami are Premier League and Bundesliga (biggest football markets in Europe).

GlamFM

Banned
That is down to the investigators to uncover of course. But would it really surprise you if EA bribed FIFA officials to keep in favourable terms with using the FIFA brand?

Edit: Consider this, PES had an advantage when it came to gameplay for a while before they turned to shit but what always kept them from truly taking over EA's market was the FIFA brand and lesser access to licensing. From EA's perspective, bribing FIFA officials to keep it this way would be a no brainer.

Outbidding ≠ Bribing.

Champions League is UEFA, not FIFA. I'm aware they're the top governing body, but there's a difference.

You are right of course, but I just wanted to illustrate how nobody cares about scandals in football. And in the case of Juve-Barca we are talking about scandals that affected the actual competition. This corruption scandal won't matter in 2 weeks.
FIFA has a couple of fall guys from poor countries and will find new ways to be a corrupt pile of crap.

hate against corruption < love for the game

Percy

Banned
Yeah, I'd be surprised if that tarnished brand name is the kind of thing FIFA would want to continue to be associated with.

SWERVE! :)

Theonik

Except for you of course, but other than that you are right.
That's not an accusation. What it means is that it would make business sense on EA's part to become involved in this. This is actually pretty common in most industries.

Top Bottom