• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

I'm still on my 20s, but I've been thinking. I work almost everyday; and the more I achieved something in my life, the less the time I have to play video games. I can only play for like 2-3 hours a day nowadays. I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest. But will I still be interested in video games and enjoy it in my retirement age? I'm not sure.

How about you, GAF? Will you still be gaming in your retirement age?

Banned
My nursing home days will consist of me being in my room on my recliner gaming on the newest device or streaming service.

canedaddy

Sure, assuming I reach retirement age and don't have any health problems that would prevent me from gaming. I'm not too far away...

I'm still on my 20s, but I've been thinking. I work almost everyday; and the more I achieved something in my life, the less the time I have to play video games. I can only play for like 2-3 hours a day nowadays. I hope when I finally succeeded (hopefully) and retired, I can enjoy video games to the fullest. But will I still be interested in video games and enjoy it in my retirement age? I'm not sure.

Oh woe is you.

Personally, I'll play until I'm physically and/or mentally unable to.

Oh great. Another thread where I hear 20 something's talk about how old they feel.

I'm only half kidding.

Yes, I'm sure I'll be playing games right up until the day I die. I may not be chasing the latest and fancy tech because that's never been that important to me. But I'll be playing my old PS1 games for a long time.

2-3 hours a day?? Geez that's plenty. Try 2-3 hours a week.

I don't see why not. Hobbies or interests should not stop just because you are a certain age imo.

my dad keeps buying motorcycles even though hes 60, can bet im going to keep gaming.

_Clash_

Definitely will still be gaming.

Just the number of games that still get me up and going are on decline.

I remember when every game felt like The Witcher 3 to me....

Dunno if I'll ever reach that age. Although I hope that the Sony PS9 and the Super Nintendo 3DNXU will be out by then. And hopefully Microsoft will actually support PC gaming with Direct X 21.

My dad is 68 and retired and plays 2-3 hours a day.

It's a form of entertainment that we were brought up on.

Did people used to question if they'll still watch TV, listen to the radio or read books as they got older? Probably not. Not saying I'll still be gaming, or everyone continues to watch TV, but as long as the entertainment is there, most people will want to be a part of it.

Oh woe is you.

Personally, I'll play until I'm physically and/or mentally unable to.

It's not that bad though, especially on weekends.
This is the real woe. :(

2-3 hours a day?? Geez that's plenty. Try 2-3 hours a week.

:(

my mom's 67 and she plays video games every day.

Nice, that's good to hear.

I don't see why not. Hobbies or interests should not stop just because you are a certain age imo.

my dad keeps buying motorcycles even though hes 60, can bet im going to keep gaming.

It's not about the interest. I hope I can still enjoy them with my old bones and brain, with all the new tech and stuff.

buffelo

Neo Member
I'm saving pretty aggressively for retirement so I hope by the time I get there it will be a pretty stress-free period in my life. I love gaming when there's nothing else to worry in life so I'm hoping that gaming in my gold years will be my golden age of gaming!

Salsa

this is like a typical mid 20s way of thinking when you have no time

"yeah im gonna be an old man playing videogames!! all the time in the world!!"

not gonna happen to that degree

I remember seeing some video about a woman in Britain using video games as some sort of therapy, or something, in her 80's?

Regardless, I hit the three-zero in September and I'm keeping it going till these fingers can't work anymore.

Lucky to have a wife who tolerates my hobby, even though I don't put in a quarter of the time I once used to.

I'm realistic enough to know that as I age, my reflexes and patience will wear down. I doubt I'll be playing things like RTS, FPS, ARPGs or platformers. But if there are still good puzzle games, good Visual Novels, point and clicks, turn-by-turn strategy games and story driven games? Yeah, I expect I'll still be interested in those.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The retirement homes of the future are gonna be awesome. Full of SNES, Genesis, etc.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Interesting.
Why not?

This is what I'm fearing.
If I can't enjoy gaming later, why shouldn't I enjoy gaming right now? I'm so torn.

I'll be like old as fuck and that'd probably ruin the experience haha.

With any luck, I'll be spending my final years in the great outdoors.

Top Bottom