• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing U incoming?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Engadget just posted a telephone interview with Hisashi Nogami on the release of Splatoon. Luckily, they were able to sneak in an Animal Crossing tidbit.

HIsashi Nogami is a long time EAD developer who began his career as a CG Artist and gradually became a planner / director on the Animal Crossing team. Then he worked as the lead designer of Mii / Wii U Menu / and WaraWara Plaza.

When former head Katsuya Eguchi got promoted to Miyamoto's former position as General Manager of EAD Kyoto and EAD Tokyo, Nogami took over as Group Manager and Producer of Development Group No. 2. Nogami is currently the producer of Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer and Splatoon.... and???

So my very last question then is: When are we going to see Animal Crossing on Wii U?

Hisashi Nogami: Well, that's difficult for me to answer at the moment! Yup. That's pretty much all we can say.

What I will say is that you may have seen an announcement recently about an Animal Crossing product coming out on the 3DS... I can tack that on to the end of my response.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS) to be compatible with an Animal Crossing for Wii U? That's what it sounds like.

Salsa

I mean cool but

series works a hell of a lot better on a portable and New Leaf was finally the perfect game to show that

I'm fully expecting Animal Crossing U, Star Fox full reveal, and that Paper Mario U thing if true to be Nintendo's main announcements this year.

I don't want a Wii U version. The game is much better on the go. Imagine having to sit through that loading screen every time you wanna do something quick. No thanks.

Been expecting it since the Animal Crossing Plaza.

AC is one of Nintendo's last huge franchises to not hit the console, so yeah.

SerTapTap

Super ready for this, bring it on.

I mean cool but

series works a hell of a lot better on a portable and New Leaf was finally the perfect game to show that

For some people maybe, but for me ACNL just proved the series works a hell of a lot better when you can actually play with friends. Proper online on a Wii U version would be no different for me than ACNL. Almost never played it outside of my house. I prefer arcadey games (any my vita) for portable gaming.

That's what I've been thinking since it was announced. It would feel a little pointless as a completely standalone game.

Maybe if you don't like designing homes, but for me it's really the single best part of Animal Crossing and almost everything I do in that game feeds back into having more stuff to design my house with.

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm fully expecting Animal Crossing U, Star Fox full reveal, and that Paper Mario U thing if true to be Nintendo's main announcements this year.

I'd say this is spot on. Wouldn't be surprised if these, along with NLG's project are their big E3 announcements.

Shojx

If they're really going for Wii U, I hope it's got something special enough to warrant its return to consoles. I don't want something that strictly feels like a "shinier" New Leaf port.

Also, I hope they don't go overboard with the Amiibo support.

Yup! That plus Smash and Mario Kart DLC are what I expect form the show.

And this would be real cool. I don't want to go back to New Leaf but want to play Animal Crossing.

Salsa

For some people maybe, but for me ACNL just proved the series works a hell of a lot better when you can actually play with friends. Proper online on a Wii U version would be no different for me than ACNL. Almost never played it outside of my house. I prefer arcadey games (any my vita) for portable gaming.

I guess I don't disagree from an online perspective

but I really think portable going forward for this is a no-brainer. Whole concept of a "small world in your pocket" that you can just take out whenever, wherever, considering that the game requires you to do so at random times during the day, makes too much sense and works a lot better as for me to get excited by prettier graphics or possibly better online but having to be home in front of a TV.

guess off tv play would be nice tho

I got into the series with City Folk so I've got no problems with another console AC. I really want to see new ideas with this one though because as fun as chores can be (lol) after a while, (albeit about 3 months) I always just lose interest and never return. I don't want my experience with the game to become a 5 minute run around my town every morning to get my fossils, gold and do quests that City Folk and New Leaf eventually became. I'm not really sure what could really be done about this but I hope they think of something fresh. Either way, this will probably be a day one purchase regardless.

They better have learned their lesson from city folk and not just make New Leaf 2.0.

Also this. City Folk didn't bother me because I played it before WW but I certainly do not want it to be a NL clone.

jay

So you're saying a series that's been on the N64, GameCube, Wii, DS, and 3DS may also be coming to WiiU? I am not sure I believe you.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

IS isn't that big and they are releasing 3 products this year already. Punch Out and Animal Crossing with Star Fox works for me.

vareon

I mean cool but

Problem with Nintendo titles is, their console/portable titles are often equally good so it's hard to say which suits better. See Fire Emblem, Mario Kart.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Animal Crossing on Wii U needs to offer an interesting connectivity with the 3DS version. That should he the main feature of this version.

Salsa

Problem with Nintendo titles is, their console/portable titles are often equally good so it's hard to say which suits better. See Fire Emblem, Mario Kart.

see my other post above tho. I actually think this just makes animal crossing straight up better from a concept perspective. not really needed for those other games nor do they really benefit

dhonk

Conversely I couldnt get into AC on a handheld. I really put in all my time on the cube version and Id heartily welcome a new console entry.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Please no :/. Can't they outsource this simulation stuff somewhere :(?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really, really hope they're not making Animal Crossing Wii U.

Give me Animal Crossing 3DS 2 instead. Thanks.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They need to be very careful if they do a Wii U version. The last console game was extremely lazy and damaging to the series, they can't just port New Leaf with some extras.

LOLDSFAN

I mean cool but

Yup. Waiting to release the next one on the next portable would ease any potential series fatigue and plus it would be more innovative since they'd have more time to make it.

Koren

I agree, i have played New Leaf for thousands of hours on my 3DS, i play it everyday i would do so on a full console though.
What the series REALLY need is a way to do backups.

I'm far over 1000h now, and I'm reluctant to play it just in case it gets corrupted. It's an awful feeling...

I'd pay for a cloud backup, Pokemon-bank style.

GAMERG0D

The plaza was 60 FPS I think so I hope the game is similar. My main problem with NL was how long it took to go between towns. Hopefully the Wii U can make that process faster.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

That's my expectations (along with a Metroid for new 3DS). Throw in some indie titles, fire emblem 3ds, devils third, fatal frame 4, yoshi wooly world, Xenoblade X, amiibos, smash/mk8/Splatoon dlc, and Mario Maker; you have yourself a decent (but predictable) E3.

leroidys

I'm one of the rare few who prefer playing these games on consoles, so I would love for this to be true. The upad would be an awesome fit as well.

I think the only way I'd be on board for this is if the Mario Kart 8 track was in fact a hint of the visual direction/scale the land mass of the town could take instead of just going with the simple rolling visual plus cliff and river format but I know that's overly optimistic thinking.
(and no I don't mean there's a racetrack running though the town)

City Folk was one of the few times I felt genuinely screwed by a full price game purchase so for the sake of all those looking forward to another console crossing I reiterate the hopes that it isn't just New Leaf 2.0.
Personally I still think the formula needs more of a shake up at this point but I don't expect this potential entry to be the one that does so.

Top Bottom