• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss backwards compatibilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalman

I played Rhythm Heaven Fever on my Wii U last week.

<3 backwards compatibility. Wish Sony/Microsoft would do the same.

rjc571

Banned
The last non-Nintendo console I bought was the original Xbox, so I don't remember what it's like not having backwards compatibility.

Neoxon

I played Rhythm Heaven Fever on my Wii U last week.

<3 backwards compatibility. Wish Sony/Microsoft would do the same.
Great minds think alike.

Anyway, thank god Nintendo still cares about backwards compatibility. I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles & Rhythm Heaven Fever for the last week waiting for Splatoon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think its a nice feature to have, but its not a deal breaker at all for me.

I don't sell my old systems unless i'm planning on getting a replacement or they just dont work and im selling the parts. If its gonna make the console more expensive, i dont think its worth it.

Software BC on the other hand, i think is pretty good, and i think Sony would be wise to implement PS1 and PS2 software BC at some point

Talax

I just need PS1 and PS2 emulation. If only Sony listened to this plea they would roll around in so much cash. ;_;

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
people keep harping about this but when ps3 had ps2 bc no one in the real world actually gave a shit come release.

I remember how excited I was for the PS3 BC feature and then I never even used it once lol. Even with the monster PS2 library. I realized I don't give a shit about BC.

I used it a total of....2 times... One for PS3, one for 360. And it was more of a 'hey, it worked' thing vs actually wanting to play. If future console from Sony and MS are BC, great. If not, not a deal breaker. Maybe if I didnt keep older consoles I would care more.

Hexa

I remember how excited I was for the PS3 BC feature and then I never even used it once lol. Even with the monster PS2 library. I realized I don't give a shit about BC.

Same. I only played two games total on it. KH1 and KH2, both of which are also on PS3 now. I'd rather have remasters than BC tbh.

One of the best parts of PC gaming, you don't lose easy access to your library every generational shift. In fact, your old games get better as you upgrade hardware.

UberLevi

The lack of backwards compatibility is a secret plot to help sell remasters. They could do it, but they just want that mad quatloo.

Atari 7800 was backwards compatible with 2600 and Genesis was compatible with Master System (with an adapter).

Yep. Here's my attempt at making a list of all consoles with backwards compatibility...

Hardware backwards compatibility
Consoles:
Atari 7800 - Atari 2600
Sega SG 1000 Mark III (Japanese Sega Master System) - Sega Mark I and Mark II
Sega Genesis - Sega Master System compatibility (requires Power Base convertor)
NEC SuperGrafx - TG16/ PCEngine
PlayStation 2 - PlayStation 1
PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 2 (original 20GB and 60GB models)
Wii - GameCube
Wii U - Wii, GameCube (through software modification)

Handhelds:
Sega Game Gear - Sega Master System (requires Master Gear)
GameBoy Colour - GameBoy
Neo Geo Pocket Color - Neo Geo Pocket
Bandai WonderSwan Colour - WonderSwan
GameBoy Advance - GameBoy, GameBoy Colour
Nintendo DS - GameBoy Advance
Nintendo 3DS - Nintendo DS

Official First Party Sideways Compatibility
Consoles:
Colecovision- Atari 2600 (requires Expansion Module #1)
Super Nintendo - GameBoy (requires Super GameBoy or Super Game Boy 2 (JP only) player)
N64 - GameBoy, GameBoy Colour (requires Wide-Boy64. Only released to developers and press)
Game Cube - GameBoy, GameBoy Colour, GameBoy Advance (requires GameBoy Player)

First Party Software Emulation and Backwards Compatibility
Consoles:
Xbox 360 - Xbox (only compatible with selected games)
Wii - Virtual Console: NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Sega Gen/ MD, TG16/ PC Engine, Neo Geo AES, MSX (Japan only) (selected library for all systems)
Wii-U - Virtual Console: NES, SNES, N64, GBA, NDS, PCe (Japan only), MSX (Japan only) (selected library for all systems)
PlayStation 3 - PlaysStation 1, PlayStation 2 (later models)
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 (limited selection through PlayStation Now)

Handhelds:
Nintendo 3DS - Game Boy, Game Boy Colour, GameBoy Advance (ambassador program), Sega Game Gear
PSP: Playstation 1 (through PSone classics)
PSV: PSP(digital releases), PlayStation 1 (Through PSone Classics)

With the exception of the Wii-U and Nintendo 3DS and New 3DS, hardware BC is pretty much dead this generation. I honestly don't expect the NX to be backwards compatible with the Wii-U either through hardware emulation. I would suspect that Nintendo will either move to x86 or ARM architecture (possible both?) and kill off PPC support.

Cleve

For as much as a small select few miss it, the majority (myself included) aren't interested. Would it be convenient? Yeah. Do I want to pay more for my new equipment so it can do old things? Nope.

I fully expect the next nintendo product to be moving to a new CPU architecture and for U BC to not be an option.

Banned
Gaming mostly on PC and Nintendo platforms has spoiled me since both are always backwards compatible :). But eventually I even see Nintendo with the NX platform being a whole different architecture and skipping backwards compatibility.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I don't miss it... Only because I am dedicated to the art of hooking up all my legacy consoles at once in a way that doesn't clutter my living room and doesn't look like a nerd den (it's a dark art)

Alchemy

BC has never even been a real major feature in a significant amount consoles. PS3 and 360 didn't have proper BC in all SDKs of the hardware, Nintendo stuff outside of portables had no BC until the Wii, and SEGAs only BC that I'm aware of requires an adapter so you can player Master System stuff on the Genesis.

As far as I know the only consoles that did BC correctly are the PS2 and Wii (though the Wii obviously misses out on physical compatibility on pre-GCN games). It'll definitely be an increasingly important feature moving forward though, which is why both Sony and Microsoft moved over to x86.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
people keep harping about this but when ps3 had ps2 bc no one in the real world actually gave a shit come release.
It was $600! That's just a poor price point no matter how you put it.

From my personal experience bc has always been important, especially among parents. Back when my coworkers kids were little, if they were asking me about a game system, "does it play the old games", always came out. I was literally just at Best Buy picking up Splatoon, and a mother was looking to buy her son an Xbox One. Guess what she asked the clerk? Does it play the Xbox 360 games.

It's easy to assume that since these systems sell so well, it's proof that people don't care about bc. That's simply not true. The sad fact is you have no choice. If your kid really wants that new Playstation or Xbox, you're not going to tell them no because it doesn't play the old games.

REDSLATE

Are you guys serious? I play a ton of older games on my PC, hundreds of games with many that haven't yet been rereleased on Steam or GoG and I've only encountered TWO that don't run on post Windows 7 machines. Requiem Avenging Angel and Warhammer 40K Fire Warrior.

95% of the time it's literally just install and play, about a million times easier than pulling your old consoles out of storage.

Completely serious. You're obviously not.

I play many old PC games as well, and pluging in a console is far easier than the hoops you have to jump through in order to get many older games to work on a modern PC.

I had Fire Warrior running just fine on Windows 7 64-bit, though the PS2 version doesn't require any fiddling around with to fix compatibility issues.

I bought a $600 PS3 with backwards compatibility. I wont buy a $400 PS4 that doesn't have it. Leaving behind all my already purchased games just doesn't make an upgrade seem worth it. It honestly makes it feel like an expensive downgrade.

epmode

Completely serious. You're obviously not.

I play many old PC games as well, and pluging in a console is far easier than the hoops you have to jump through in order to get many older games to work on a modern PC.

This is a pretty lousy argument in a thread about backwards compatibility. The fact that I can play virtually every PC game from the last thirty years on my modern Windows 8.1 machine, even if it takes some doing, is incredible. The only way you're going to do the same on a modern console is by repurchasing a new port of your old game. And that's if said port even exists.

I'd like to say I'm surprised to see people downplaying BC on PCs but I've been here long enough to know how the site works.

pswii60

It's my digital library on 360 I miss the most. I think a lot more people would have stuck with Xbox if they could have carried over their digital games through BC. I certainly would have.

A few months ago I didn't think native backwards compatibility was an issue I was massively concerned with anymore, but after getting a Wii U I'm really happy that I was able to move all of my Wii content (downloaded games, purchase history, save data, etc.) from my Wii to my Wii U.

It (doesn't) helps that I have a PS2 that has a disc drive that stopped playing DVDs (the format all but one of my PS2 games used...) that influences my stance on BC for modern consoles. I remember holding out on a PS3 to obtain a BC version for a few years...but failed to do, so I bit the bullet and got the slim version instead.

Also gotta echo that lack of BC concerning digital titles was a huge misfire on Sony and MS's part, concerning PS+ ad GwG. Nintendo too, though it seems more like a lack of interest/incompetence at preserving the Wii's VC library for the Wii U VC (at the very least, all of the first-party titles Nintendo released on the Wii VC so far should had been available day one on the Wii U VC IMO).

I don't think backwards compatibility is important, but I do see why it's important to some. With the PS4 and XB1, I think cost concers prohibited the ability to have backwards compatible hardware.

REDSLATE

This is a pretty lousy argument in a thread about backwards compatibility. The fact that I can play virtually every PC game from the last thirty years on my modern Windows 8.1 machine, even if it takes some doing, is incredible. The only way you're going to do the same on a modern console is by repurchasing a new port of your old game. And that's if said port even exists.

I'd like to say I'm surprised to see people downplaying BC on PCs but I've been here long enough to know how the site works.

It wasn't arguement, it was debate. SparkTR made a false statement and I presented the facts. Your assumption that I am against Backwards Compatibility on the PC is both wrong and unwarranted. That being said, getting old PC games to run properly is not nearly as easy as others have made it out to be. It's not always as simple as checking "compatibility mode" or buying from GOG.

I haven't downplayed anything. You should remain more attentive.

hodgy100

Another option that would be nice, is if the DEV kits allowed developers to import last gen games and compile them, then release digitally at cheap price. I would buy these games again for less than $10 digitally.

it doesn't work like that. thats a massive simplification of the process of porting a game to another platform. it will never really be that easy, unless games start being developed with an abstraction layer that takes it away from the hardware like we have on mobile phones and pc's.

It's my digital library on 360 I miss the most. I think a lot more people would have stuck with Xbox if they could have carried over their digital games through BC. I certainly would have.

I made a thread saying much the same thing.

That being said, getting old PC games to run properly is not nearly as easy as others have made it out to be. It's not always as simple as checking "compatibility mode" or buying from GOG.

I haven't downplayed anything. You should remain more attentive.

Its not like connecting old consoles to modern TVs is problem free in an era where RF and SCART connections have vanished in favour of HDMI inputs, and older consoles never came with HDMI out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
> Backwards compatibility

> $399

Pick one. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
PS4 hardly cost any less then the PS3 in the UK so yes I can, the solution for PS1/PS2 emulation is software so that excuse for both is out the window.

androvsky

Yep. Here's my attempt at making a list of all consoles with backwards compatibility...

Hardware backwards compatibility
Consoles:

PlayStation 3 - PlayStation 1 (all models), PlayStation 2 (original 20GB and 60GB models)
What's your source on PS1 on PS3 being hardware BC? I've always understood it to be software emulation, and the evidence tends to back it up. Sony's fixed emulation bugs with firmware updates many times, and it's not like the PS3 can't do that kind of emulation in software. Someone even ported a PC PS1 emulator to run on jailbroken PS3s. It's also something I picked up from execs talking about BC when the system launched (especially in context of the PS2 compatibility requiring hardware), but I'm having a hard time finding quotes.

First Party Software Emulation and Backwards Compatibility
Consoles:

PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 (limited selection through PlayStation Now)
PS1 and PS2 games on PS4? Last I checked they're not even on PS Now or the PSN store as Classics, and the system won't recognize the discs.

REDSLATE

Its not like connecting old consoles to modern TVs is problem free in an era where RF and SCART connections have vanished in favour of HDMI inputs, and older consoles never came with HDMI out.

Lol, isn't it?

I'll take an easy to solve hardware solution over the uncertainty of software tampering any day. There are plenty of adapters and Televisions that still include coax, composite, and component inputs (SCART never really caught on here). I'm far more concerned with the inevitable failure of my consoles than how I'll connect them to future displays.

hodgy100

PS4 hardly cost any less then the PS3 in the UK so yes I can, the solution for PS1/PS2 emulation is software so that excuse for both is out the window.

the PS3 was £425 at launch. PS4 was £350 define hardly.

sony really should add in ps1 classics compatibility though :/

Lol, isn't it?

I'll take an easy to solve hardware solution over the uncertainty of software tampering any day. There are plenty of adapters and Televisions that still include coax, composite, and component inputs (SCART never really caught on here). I'm far more concerned with the inevitable failure of my consoles than how I'll connect them to future displays.

Its pretty disingenous to suggest going out and buying hardware specific adapters to work with modern hardware is "less hassle" than a google search and software patch.

REDSLATE

Its pretty disingenous to suggest going out and buying hardware specific adapters to work with modern hardware is "less hassle" than a google search and software patch.

That's pretty narrow-minded thinking. It's completely genuine as a "Google search and software patch" may not offer a solution.

With respect to the old hardware and old PC games debate: I am a noob when it comes to messing with software and get frustrated easily. Seeking out patches that may or may not exist and figuring out how to go about doing it for each game doesn't much appeal to me. I know I'm probably in the minority here in that regard (I'm a Mac and GOG gamer when it comes to old PC stuff).

I'm primarily a console gamer and I like retro. Getting something like a Framemeister, while somewhat expensive, is a single solution that will ensure EVERY game that works on a given hardware platform will work on my plasma TV. I still have to buy the console and the games, but I know they'll all work after making a single investment on the front end. It's a pretty clean and simple solution.

celsowmbr

Banned
I would like something like this guy:

300px-SegaMegaAdaptor.jpg

May16

I think I just "think" I miss backwards compatibility. On other consoles when I had it, I pretty much never used it.

I'm the opposite, I used it plenty. Hell, I still use my 60-gig PS3 to play PS2 and PS1 games (just played Symphony of the Night yesterday, GrimGrimoire last weekend).

I probably wouldn't have a PS4 right now if I hadn't ended up getting one as a gift, because enough exclusives just aren't there for me, and the graphics aren't enough of a reason to spend New System Money. I've got three games on my shelf, one of which I'll trade in as soon as I'm done with it.

I still have plenty of old hardware, so BC means nothing to me except in rare cases (such as Mercenaries running better on 360 than an Xbox).

I still have a 360, PS3 and an OG Xbox. Everything before that is emulatable by my PC pretty much. I even have an extra modded 360, and my OG Xbox is modded, so they themselves can emulate older stuff.

What's your source on PS1 on PS3 being hardware BC?

Oops, no source on that, that is a small mistake on my part.

I would like something like this guy:

300px-SegaMegaAdaptor.jpg

Something like this would still be costly to produce for modern day console. The Power Base Convertor was sold for less than $30.00 at launch because it only contained a circuit board, two cartridge ports and a plastic shell. The Genesis/ Mega Drive does have an additional Z80 processor, secondary PCM sound chip (same one used in the SMS) and graphics processor with backwards compatibility built into it. All of the hardware was there.

REDSLATE

I still have plenty of old hardware, so BC means nothing to me except in rare cases (such as Mercenaries running better on 360 than an Xbox).

But... Mercenaries runs terribly on Xbox 360? It freezes on the Chinese missions? How far into the game were you able to get?

shanafan

I'm glad that Nintendo still has a dedication to it. It's a shame that Sony has moved away from backwards compatability. This is one reason why I think it's silly to get rid of old systems. I still regularly use my PS2.

Don't forgot about Playstation Now though. That is a way to play PS3 titles on the PS4.

Silvawuff

Lack of backward compatibility is one of the main reasons I haven't purchased any of the current-gen consoles. I simply don't have the space for it, and won't support that business model. I really don't buy into the "different processors and chipsets" excuse to play older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom