• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

duckroll

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO87370000Y5A520C1000000/

The Nikkei put up an editorial earlier today about Nintendo's partnership with DeNA. It's a pretty long article (and you need an account to read most of it, so unless you sign up that link is kinda useless), but most of it is about historical connections and basically an overview on the relationship.

The interesting part is that the article starts by discussing Nintendo's next platform - the one Iwata codenamed NX. They have an insider source who claims that the OS for the platform will be Android based, and that it is a paradigm shift for Nintendo business-wise. The source goes on to say that when third parties abandoned Nintendo's WiiU one by one, it caused turning point in the company. So while they have had a philosophy of developing their own software and hardware concepts internally for all these years, they are now prepared to embrace a more open platform with Android, to allow developers more flexibility in making content that can also be on smartphones and tablets.

---

Edit: Please do not assume that the NX is an Ouya or a Smartphone. None of those things are implied. This is merely about the software architecture of the operating system.

Garou

Ever since the original announcement I assumed NX to be something along the lines of Vita + Vita TV.

Let's see if they can compete with what Apple has in store for Apple TV.

Nikkei has been right most of the time with stuff like this and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was true because I suspected as much.

Wasn't Nintendo the one developing an OS, selling that to Google and Google made Android out of it?

Android-based? I wonder if Nintendo will be able to prevent widespread piracy which I imagine would be a very serious problem for them (unless all their new content is F2P).

zroid

Banned
Nikkei always seems to make these big claims which they later admit was mostly speculation :lol

Nightbird

This is bad. Android has a huge Piracy Problem, and I think the last thing Nintendo wants is bad sales because of that. They better have a Solution for that

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO87370000Y5A520C1000000/

The Nikkei put up an editorial earlier today about Nintendo's partnership with DeNA. It's a pretty long article (and you need an account to read most of it, so unless you sign up that link is kinda useless), but most of it is about historical connections and basically an overview on the relationship.

The interesting part is that the article starts by discussing Nintendo's next platform - the one Iwata codenamed NX. They have an insider source who claims that the OS for the platform will be Android based, and that it is a paradigm shift for Nintendo business-wise. The source goes on to say that when third parties abandoned Nintendo's WiiU one by one, it caused turning point in the company. So while they have had a philosophy of developing their own software and hardware concepts internally for all these years, they are now prepared to embrace a more open platform with Android, to allow developers more flexibility in making content that can also be on smartphones and tablets.

But Nintendo has lost third parties since as early as the N64. Is that really the motivating factor for a paradigm shift? I mean Nintendo has historically been an awful operating system designer, maybe they need an already built backbone because they can't make a better one themselves?

Gnub

Makes sense. It allows for console and handheld platform unity.

Hopefully something like this pushes Android gaming deeper into viability. If Nintendo can pull this off they can create:
  • Standard Android controller like the 360 pad is for PC
  • High watermark for hardware for Android gaming
  • Standard for cross buy

Sandfox

But Nintendo has lost third parties since as early as the N64. Is that really the motivating factor for a paradigm shift? I mean Nintendo has historically been an awful operating system designer, maybe they need an already built backbone because they can't make a better one themselves?

The Wii U has clearly hit an all time low and the Wii did pretty well on the third party front.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nikkei has been right most of the time with stuff like this and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was true because I suspected as much.

Wasn't Nintendo the one developing an OS, selling that to Google and Google made Android out of it?

Android is Linux-based, I think. Something about a Nintendo and Google deal does sound vaguely familiar though.

Anyway, using something based on Android (not just straight "Android" itself ripped out of a phone though) wouldn't really surprise me.

vareon

This is in line with what they said about NX (or Nintendo's next architecture) in general, no?

It doesn't mean people can just drop an apk and play on NX, I think.

HUELEN10

Not speculation. It specifically states an inside source, and they quote the source directly in the article.

Mind posting an excerpt through the google translator tool, or is said content paid and therefore not be able to be posted?

No one doubts you, but it would be nice to see it being elaborated upon at least.
It doesn't mean people can just drop an apk and play on NX, I think.

THIS

Ponn

Banned
I've been guessing for awhile now Nintendo would move into a combined handheld/home console format of some sort but this sounds a little crazy to me. Nintendo Seal of Approval indeed.

Nintendo beating Microsoft to the Games-as-a-Service (GaaS) model!

Seriously though, it is truly a paradigm shift for them if this is true. They usually need both to control hardware and software side of their stuff to offer a unique proposition to consumers, whether or not it might result to satisfactory results. Going to this seems like a move only made possible with a CEO with a tight grip on the board of directors, as how Iwata has put many of his colleagues there.

Dryk

And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
51WVU8aq6bL._SL1000_.jpg

Top Bottom