• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, let's talk about troll AI/ gameplay mechanics.

Also this guy right here, as many people about to play Rare Replay will soon find out or remember:

RC_Pro_AM_NES_ScreenShot3.jpg

OMG - THAT car made me hurt my controller.

I lost so many races, last minute, because of sudden superspeed bursts by that car.

Pandy

I'm going to post a counter example.

Beetle Adventure Racing on the N64 was a great racing game. It featured rubber-banding AI that could trigger a turboboost when they were behind to keep the race close, BUT...
There was no AI behind WHEN they would turboboost, which meant that often they would do it on tight corners, smashing themselves into obstacles and throwing themselves off the track in an effort to overtake you, sending them a good distance behind again and affording you both a moment of comic relief, and a slightly increased lead.

Loved that game.

On topic: Advance Wars AI, Fog of War. One of my hated things.
Although, I'm still desperate for a new AW game. Enough FE already.

Fuz

Banned
Half Life 1 enemies AI is still the best AI in any FPS (hl2 included - which is one of the reasons HL1 is better than hl2). The soldiers always surprised me in one way or another. Hated them. Loved them.

CHC

6JAA4TM.jpg

His AI is just a fucking horrible melange of every devious trick in the Dark Souls playbook going off in sequence. Killing him was maybe the greatest moment of the game. He is the definition of "troll AI".

Forkball

I'm playing Super Castlevania IV right now and there are several areas where, if you aren't paying 100% attention, you will fall into some trap or be completely blindsided by an enemy. Also in the game you can use your whip to swing onto other platforms. Normally the swing will take you straight to the platform so you can just let go and drop down. However, in stage 3 you can actually swing PAST the platform, so if you release the way you normally did, you will fall to your death. There's a lot of these subtle changes that can completely screw you. In stage 6 one dog takes one hit to kill, but the very next dog takes two hits. So you will probably just hit it once and keep going because you assume it's dead, but no.

Also stairs. You can climb up stairs, but if an enemy knocks you back into them, you just fall through them and to your death.

My buddy and I would swear Dark Sims in Perfect Dark would run through walls when not in the direct sight of the players back in the day. They were as freaky as they were cheap as hell!

Oh man I hadn't thought about Dark Sims in years. Teaming up with a bunch of friends in split screen trying to take them on..., good times!

the pinpoint accuracy of enemies in fallout 3/new vegas is really bad, it doesn't matter what gun they are using or how far away they are - they will hit you 90 - 95% of the time without fail

another one for fallout new vegas is when
legionary assassins or ncr (depending on who you side with) incessantly attack you in free roam
, it nearly ruined the joy of exploring the mojave

only being able to carry 1 key at a time in REmake, it's not too bad with jill but i haven't played chris's scenario yet

Nyari

Neo Member
Fatal Racing (aka whiplash), a classic Dos game has some glorious AI quirks.

The game was great.

i loved this game! me and my buddy used to play this for hours and hours
Causing a head on collision in the middle of a loop or corkscrew was the ultimate AI troll move.
Really good and infuriating AI for that time period

Evilisk

The stage 5 boss from Touhou 14 Double Dealing Character.

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down.

It's a fangame but it's not as crazy as this though (go to the 12 minute mark https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lYOGy2zKV0s )

Last Touhou game I played was UFO, I was thinking about playing a newer one, no way I'm touching 14 after seeing that. 0_o

To be fair, it's only the one boss that does that (and they don't do it the whole fight). There are also some other broken shot in 14 types whilst 13 is one of the easier games (apparently, I wouldn't know since I've never 1cc'd any main games past easy...). 15 though, that is quite something...

petran79

Banned
He still gives me nightmares!

That clown in the game Fiendish Freddy's Big Top o' Fun always tries randomly to sabotage you in various circus acts. As if the game wasnt hard enough already.

eg during tightrope walking, he is flying with his helicopter to keep you offbalance. You need to move the joystick left and right very steadily. He also throws a saw if you take too long and you're cut in half!

356-7-fiendish-freddy-s-big-top.jpg

Here too you have to move the joystick and press the button to switch hands and juggle. If too many objects fall you're disqualified and pulled away. He appears and gives a bomb to the seal who throws it at the juggler. You have to get rid of it fast! I have not seen any greater trolling in a video game ever!

Fiendish_Freddys-3.png

Top Bottom