• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 12:36 PM)
Hey everyone,

One of the titles on the Xbox I most enjoyed was Southend Interactive's Deathrow. A fast and violent futuristic bloodsport with mega-nice graphics and fast paced gameplay.

However, Ubisoft had Splinter Cell coming out at the same time as this game and it got totally undersnowed when it comes to marketing and exposure. Sadly that ment the title became a really hard to find game in stores and was not very widely received or recognized.

Anyways, it was still a great game with some awesome elements of gameplay and competition. Therefore a game like this on Xbox 360, Xbox Live and all the possibilities that offers (Deathrow TV, competitions, tournaments, etc), would totally rock and would offer something else, more gritty, more violent than the standard racing and sports games. They had a vision when they made this game, that become a reality in features of Xbox Live only five years later, now they can take advantage of those and set new standards for the future.

So because of that this petition was started by gamers, I signed it, maybe you guys can too, and see if Ubisoft recognizes that this game needs a sequel because it could sell well when properly supported, since it's the only game in it's kind remaining and Southend Interactive are super-talented guys when you see what they did with the first game.

Anywyas, sign it:

http://www.**************.com/xboxdtrw/

Some screenshot for recognition and nostalgia:





Gamerankings page with reviews mostly with scores 8+ or more:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/560434.asp
Rabid Wolverine
Member
(06-13-2006, 12:39 PM)
Rabid Wolverine's Avatar
Signed.
Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 12:41 PM)
Also, feel free to send this petition to all your mates and publish it on other forums, etc.

That should help get the word around that we want Ubi to support a new Deathrow project. :)
Baron Doggystyle von Woof
Member
(06-13-2006, 12:41 PM)
Baron Doggystyle von Woof's Avatar
petions don't work. and never did.
stewy
Member
(06-13-2006, 12:42 PM)
stewy's Avatar
Not to troll, here, but can someone explain to me what made this game so great? When our mag reviewed it we got tonnes of angry letters from readers who were absolutely in love with the thing, but I never quite understood the draw.
Kojiro
Banned
(06-13-2006, 12:43 PM)
did you say "great graphics"?
sprsk
force push the doodoo rock
(06-13-2006, 12:45 PM)
sprsk's Avatar
ill let this be an appreciation thread, but dont post stupid ****ing petitions here.
1337
Member
(06-13-2006, 12:46 PM)
1337's Avatar
One of the worst excuses for a game of the last generation, so to hell with this petition.
Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 12:51 PM)
People who put the time in to learn the controls and mechanics really digged it. Of course no one is forced to have liked it! I'm sure those people can make valid arguments for not liking the game. With another chance however, they may be able to address those issues as well. Who knows. I really enjoyed it, I think many others did too. Plus it's quite unique, which is pretty nice in itself.

I'm not saying it has pretty graphics compared to the latest and greatest games, but it sure did look better then pretty much everything else when it was realeased. One of the first games with bump-mapping and advanced animation techniques, etc. :)
Ghost
Chili Con Carnage!
(06-13-2006, 12:59 PM)
Ghost's Avatar

Originally Posted by stewy

Not to troll, here, but can someone explain to me what made this game so great? When our mag reviewed it we got tonnes of angry letters from readers who were absolutely in love with the thing, but I never quite understood the draw.


Did you play it 8 player multiplayer?
tahrikmili
Member
(06-13-2006, 01:25 PM)
Never had this game myself but a friend of mine had it on his XBOX and it was tons of fun to play together. Multiplayer was incredible, especially co-op vs. ai.
Funky Papa
FUNK-Y-PPA-4
(06-13-2006, 01:43 PM)
Funky Papa's Avatar
I approve of this thread. Deathrow was great fun, had brilliant graphics for its time and was coded by a tiny team (less than a dozen peeps IIRC) A lowly printed jewel buried in the bargain bin by a horrid distribution.
Last edited by Funky Papa; 06-13-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Stryder
Member
(06-13-2006, 01:44 PM)
Stryder's Avatar
Signed, I would looove a sequel to this great game.
Funky Papa
FUNK-Y-PPA-4
(06-13-2006, 01:52 PM)
Funky Papa's Avatar
Because this thread needs a couple of good pics


Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 01:58 PM)
Thanks Funky Pa, those are good pics!

"You're up for a medal, Marine!...If there is one for getting your ass kicked around!"
Funky Papa
FUNK-Y-PPA-4
(06-13-2006, 02:04 PM)
Funky Papa's Avatar
The cursing was just great :D
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(06-13-2006, 02:10 PM)
Tunesmith's Avatar
If anything Ubisoft has nothing to do with any potential sequel to Deathrow, SouthEnd made that clear on their forums back in the day so the petition is very much moot.
That reasoning was in short due to Ubi's abyssmal marketing for the first game.
B E N K E
Member
(06-13-2006, 02:11 PM)
Southend makes mobile games nowadays...
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(06-13-2006, 02:16 PM)
Tunesmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by B E N K E

Southend makes mobile games nowadays...

They're currently developing for the mobile platform, PC and X360.
DCharlie
Always bet on white
(06-13-2006, 02:19 PM)
DCharlie's Avatar
deathrow was underrated and is still the closest we've come to a spiritual follow up to Speedball 2.
Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 02:22 PM)

Originally Posted by chigiri

If anything Ubisoft has nothing to do with any potential sequel to Deathrow, SouthEnd made that clear on their forums back in the day so the petition is very much moot.
That reasoning was in short due to Ubi's abyssmal marketing for the first game.

I understand, but I didn't create the petition. It's a good enough one, I don't care who publishes it really! As long as it comes out sometime. That would be cool enough. :)

Originally Posted by chigiri

They're currently developing for the mobile platform, PC and X360.

True! Their mobile game, Da Vinci Code awas pretty sweet according to the reviews.
kallisto76
Member
(06-13-2006, 02:30 PM)
kallisto76's Avatar
signed!! i hope they can make a good sequel:)
Guileless
Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
(06-13-2006, 02:32 PM)
Guileless's Avatar
There may have been a better game to play with your friends when you got home late from the bar, but if so I haven't seen it. Turning Deathrow up to 11 and hooting and hollering is what I call grade A fun. I loved the sound when you scored.
Kung Fu Jedi
Member
(06-13-2006, 02:37 PM)
Kung Fu Jedi's Avatar
Any sequel had better have Live support. It was a travesty that the first game couldn't be played over Live.
Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 02:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Kung Fu Jedi

Any sequel had better have Live support. It was a travesty that the first game couldn't be played over Live.

It was launched before MechAssault, which was Microsoft's first first party Xbox Live game. :) So it's not that strange!

But if a sequel is made on the Xbox 360, the whole purpose would be sublime multiplayer and communities, I would reckon.
Sysgen
Member
(06-13-2006, 03:38 PM)
Sysgen's Avatar
The first time I played Deathrow I didn't get and I didn't understand all the hype from the people that played it.

Several months later I tried it again and the gameplay clicked and it became one of my favorite games of last generation.

The perfect game for Microsofts fledgeling XBL, an online edition never happened.

From the perfect atmosphere of the different arenas to the diversity of the teams and their abilities to laying waste to your opponents with drop kicks and elbows to the head winning in Deathrow became the definitive definition of kicking ass.
Hiro_Kunimi_80
Member
(06-13-2006, 03:44 PM)
Hiro_Kunimi_80's Avatar
petition is useless :)
Barnolde
Banned
(06-13-2006, 03:45 PM)
One of my top 3 favorite Xbox games. Southend is working on a new IP, I think Ubisoft has the Deathrow rights and petitions do nothing.

Ah well, signed it anyway.
Kung Fu Jedi
Member
(06-13-2006, 03:49 PM)
Kung Fu Jedi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kobold

It was launched before MechAssault, which was Microsoft's first first party Xbox Live game. :) So it's not that strange!

But if a sequel is made on the Xbox 360, the whole purpose would be sublime multiplayer and communities, I would reckon.

Yeah, but there were other Live games at the time, although it was early on in the life of Live. Still, it seemed like the perfect game for Live play then, and it would be a must now. Which of course, I'm sure it would have now. Just saying that online play would have made the game alot sweeter, as the nuances of the game weren't always evident in single player.
BobJustBob
LOL WTF I'm so drunk
(06-13-2006, 04:10 PM)
BobJustBob's Avatar
Best console sports game ever.
Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-13-2006, 04:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Kung Fu Jedi

Yeah, but there were other Live games at the time, although it was early on in the life of Live. Still, it seemed like the perfect game for Live play then, and it would be a must now. Which of course, I'm sure it would have now. Just saying that online play would have made the game alot sweeter, as the nuances of the game weren't always evident in single player.

No, MechAssault was the first Live game if I remember correctly. :)

Plus, obviously they didn't get the funding to add any sort of Live. I think Ubi wanted to push it out the door, since their Splinter Cell got so much traction and hype that they wanted to focus all energies on that.

Also, on petitions not helping, is that like the old 'giving feedback on developers forums doesn't help'? Why not try, at the least it's a sign of support for a wonderfully talented developer. Can only have positive results.
Kabuki Waq
Member
(06-13-2006, 05:09 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar
I really tried to like this game but at the end it just sucked way too much.
BuG
Member
(06-13-2006, 05:42 PM)
44 signatures...
∀ Narayan
the carnival of stupid
(06-13-2006, 06:02 PM)
∀ Narayan's Avatar
Signed.
ralexand
100% logic failure rate
(06-13-2006, 06:36 PM)
I didn't think the game was that good.
Sinatar
Official GAF Bottom Feeder
(06-13-2006, 11:10 PM)
Sinatar's Avatar
As someone who cannot stand sports games I really really loved the crap out of Deathrow. It was just a crazy fun, fast, intense game. The multiplayer was a blast, especially in coop and there was plenty of single player content if you wanted to unlock everything.

I'd love a sequel but I guarantee you it will never happen.
Barnolde
Banned
(06-13-2006, 11:35 PM)

Originally Posted by BobJustBob

Best console sports game ever.

IAWTP.

Originally Posted by ralexand

I didn't think the game was that good.

Perfect reason to post in this thread.
Scotch
Member
(06-13-2006, 11:47 PM)
Scotch's Avatar
What bothered me at the time is that I beat this game by just kicking the shit out of everybody. Though I guess this got harder at higher difficulty levels (never tried actually). Anyway, still great fun though, wouldn't mind a sequel. Add some stuff like fractured limbs and I'm sold :D
TheDuce22
Banned
(06-13-2006, 11:50 PM)
Lack of live support really hurt that game.
ralexand
100% logic failure rate
(06-14-2006, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by Barnolde

IAWTP.



Perfect reason to post in this thread.

It's a message board. Get use to people giving their opinion.

I suggest that people don't sign this petition because the game isn't that good.
Daigoro
Member
(06-14-2006, 01:16 AM)
Daigoro's Avatar
great game, i loved it. i have little faith in petitions, but i signed this one on the off chance that it might help.

Originally Posted by ralexand


I suggest that people don't sign this petition because the game isn't that good.

i suggest that you are a dipshit.
Kobold
half-wit retard monkey's ass
(06-14-2006, 06:11 PM)

Originally Posted by ralexand

I suggest that people don't sign this petition because the game isn't that good.

I respect your opinion. It's fine by me that you didn't like the game, but you would deny people that did enjoy the chance to help get another game off the ground by actively promoting not helping these people out?

That's really strange. Oh well, probably don't understand what you really mean, let's move on. :)
Core407
Banned
(06-14-2006, 06:12 PM)
And if the petition doesn't work, we can all hold hands and pray!
Calcifer
Member
(01-20-2009, 10:16 PM)
we were bored yesterday and found this game on the shelf...played it for the whole day...awesome game.

http://www.southend.se/
Jaroof
Member
(01-20-2009, 10:25 PM)
Jaroof's Avatar
Sssssigned :D
2 Minutes Turkish
Banned
(01-20-2009, 10:29 PM)
enjoyed this game for about 10 minutes.

It was too easy to exploit and be cheap. Fucking pissed me right off after a while, especially in MP.
Darklord
Banned
(01-20-2009, 10:31 PM)
Darklord's Avatar
I loved Death Row. Although I was disappointed when I found it was WAY too easy after the OXM review claimed it to be too hard.

What did it sell anyway? I can't imagine much.

Thread Tools