• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is Building a Hostage Crisis!!!!! (List of Games to Kickstarter)

Any time that you fund a Kickstarter, you are demonstrating that you are putting faith in the creator to deliver what they promised. If you do not believe that what they are promising can be achieved and you do not have faith in them to deliver on their promises then it really is quite simple : do not back it.

For someone who has not invested a single cent in this. you seem very concerned for the people who are happy to put their faith in Yu Suzuki.

What if I went into every Halo 5 thread as someone with no intention to pre-order Halo 5 and yet endlessly berated people who have pre-ordered the game about concerns, negativity and criticism how - do you think that would look?
It would look like you were concern trolling.
Oh.

I really hope Sony doesn't hold a game I love that has little hope of being revived hostage. I just can't stand somebody trying to help make a game happen that wouldn't have.

Any time that you fund a Kickstarter, you are demonstrating that you are putting faith in the creator to deliver what they promised. If you do not believe that what they are promising can be achieved and you do not have faith in them to deliver on their promises then it really is quite simple : do not back it.

For someone who has not invested a single cent in this. you seem very concerned for the people who are happy to put their faith in Yu Suzuki.

What if I went into every Halo 5 thread as someone with no intention to pre-order Halo 5 and yet endlessly berated people who have pre-ordered the game about concerns, negativity and criticism how - do you think that would look?

Alright, you think people should not voice dissension on something that they disagree with. I think it's a good thing to have an ongoing discussion on the decisions that a company makes.

You act as though this is the Shenmue OT thread or the Shenmue developers reaction thread (which I haven't touched mind you) which is where Shenmue fans should be able to enjoy their game without having to view the criticism towards it.

If you went into the Halo 5 OT thread and criticized Microsoft/Bungie for including micro-transactions in the multiplayer then fine that can be viewed as instigating or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with voicing those concerns in any thread that is specifically for discussing the implications of microtransactions within the game. I've been voicing my qualms in threads that aren't specifically geared towards fans of either Shenmue or Sony.

JP

I don't really see Silent Hills being possible due to the costs involved but it's probably the top of my list. get Kojima involved (Del Toro too) and just let them do their own thing without any risk to Konami.

Alright, you think people should not voice dissension on something that they disagree with. I think it's a good thing to have an ongoing discussion on the decisions that a company makes.

You act as though this is the Shenmue OT thread or the Shenmue developers reaction thread (which I haven't touched mind you) which is where Shenmue fans should be able to enjoy their game without having to view the criticism towards it.

If you went into the Halo 5 OT thread and criticized Microsoft/Bungie for including micro-transactions in the multiplayer then fine that can be viewed as instigating or whatever. I don't see anything wrong with voicing those concerns in any thread that is specifically for discussing the implications of microtransactions within the game. I've been voicing my qualms in threads that aren't specifically geared towards fans of either Shenmue or Sony.

Here's the thing, it's fine if people on the forum disagree. The reason so many people are calling you out is because you are voicing concerns for situations that doesn't seen to be happening, and aren't a big risk of happening. Shenmue 3 is a game that was so unlikely to happen it became a meme, a joke on GAF to hope or predict the game being announced. And there are plenty of other games that don't have the cult following of Shenmue 3 that have a chance to be made now.

You are very, very close to concern trolling.

Here's the thing, it's fine if people on the forum disagree. The reason so many people are calling you out is because you are voicing concerns for situations that doesn't seen to be happening, and aren't a big risk of happening. Shenmue 3 is a game that was so unlikely to happen it became a meme, a joke on GAF to hope or predict the game being announced. And there are plenty of other games that don't have the cult following of Shenmue 3 that have a chance to be made now.

You are very, very close to concern trolling.
And he's done it in 3 or more threads, of course.

It wouldn't be so bad if fully a fifth of his total posts on GAF weren't Shenmue concern posts.

Tanoooki

As great as Kickstarter is for getting games funded I don't understand why titles that would be guaranteed to sell need to use it. Shenmue obviously has the cooperation of huge companies like Sony so why would they need to use Kickstarter.

Why can't Sony front the development fees? Is this just cheaper all around?

We should kickstart a campaign for a GAF game publishing and then kickstart a campaign to sign the most awaited free agent of game developing in Kojima.

Pennywise

As great as Kickstarter is for getting games funded I don't understand why titles that would be guaranteed to sell they obviously have the cooperation of huge companies like Sony would need to use Kickstarter.

Those guarantees are hardly there, plus it obviously helps to get the greenlight for fundings alot easier and faster.
And it's not like those people on kickstarter get nothing in return...

As great as Kickstarter is for getting games funded I don't understand why titles that would be guaranteed to sell need to use it. Shenmue obviously has the cooperation of huge companies like Sony so why would they need to use Kickstarter.

That's just the thing, they don't know if these games are going to sell, so they use Kickstarter as a proving ground for interest.

Crocodile

I have no inherent issue with this model but feel it should be reserved for titles/dormant IPs where it is a last resort. Yu Suzuki tried to get Shenmue 3 off the ground for 14 years. Konami essentially locked Igarashi "in a dungeon" for years. It is only NOW, long after Mighty No. 9 (a spiritual successor, not a sequel) had a successful kickstarter, that Mega Man is showing signs of life. This model seems fine for titles that have failed in the mainstream but have strong minority support but I don't want it to become a "first resort" so to speak, especially for brand new IPs that are trying to get off the ground. It's easy to tell you'll be interested in a sequel of your favorite series or a spiritual successor but I don't know if something like say Splatoon would be able to garner enough fan interest via KS to move into full production if all you had to look at were maybe some CG models or demo footage of one level and no gameplay demo. Also, if this becomes a "first resort" model, then the publishers end up with all the power Kickstater sought to try to redistribute.

Also people have to be somewhat realistic with this. You can only raise so much money via Kickstarter. Unless the Kickstater contribution is negligible in the grand scheme of things, you aren't getting a project of the caliber that someone like Kojima usually works on his his huge budgets.

jimforspeed

Neo Member
I love how this was supposed to be bad news meant to spark debates but the whole first page was immediately filled with game suggestions :D.

I don't think it's fair to use "guaranteed to sell" and "Shenmue" in the same sentence. The first two games had massive budgets and bombed tremendously 14 years ago. There was no guarantee the game would sell, that's why nobody stepped up to fund the game outright. Despite the awesome Kickstarter, there is a chance that depending on the overall budget Shenmue 3 still might not make money - and it's unlikely it will make much money in the best circumstance.

Shenmue 3 is a very risky project. If it took a Kickstarter for Sony to help fund the game or determine how much they will help fund the game, I don't see the problem.

I love how this was supposed to be bad news meant to spark debates but the whole first page was immediately filled with game suggestions :D.
Actually the thread started as a list of games type of thread then people came in with absurd hostage posts and a mod changed the title to make fun of the derail and the thread has simply not gotten back on track. This whole Shenmue thing has been a carnival of stupid.

_woLf

I really don't have a problem with this. In fact I wouldn't mind if Sony had their own version of kickstarter on the PS store or something. If it means we'll return to long lost IPs that would otherwise never been touched, I'm all for it.

Won't they face considerable backlash the first time a title comes really close to hitting a kickstarter goal but doesn't meet it?

Say Shenmue 3 hadn't been such a runaway success in terms of support. What if it had only made 1.9 million over its 30 days. Aren't people going to be a little hacked, justifiably or not, that Sony pulls the rug on funding a title because of this?

hawk2025

I really take no issue with it.

This isn't Sony acting as a publisher, it is Sony acting as more of an "angel investor".

And I think that's just fine! They have multiple and different ways that they fund projects. PubFund is a cash transfer for some exclusivity benefits and marketing, full publishing usually involves owning the IP and footing 100% of the bill, and now they are potentially adding another stream that involves paying for part of development, and risk-sharing another part with customers.

It's just fine with me. Risk-sharing is a wonderful development of Finance, and the game industry has been notoriously risk averse over the past decade. If willing consumers want to absorb some of that risk so that some of the more out-there products come to market, I'm all for it.

junpei

Where are they going to be looking? Here?

Anyway,

Mega Man Legends 3
This post got me thinking will any Sony execs even read neogaf? What good are our list if they never even read it? I am a huge legends fan and I have been looking for a chance to put my money where my mouth is and show that I want legends 3. I think that we should humbly ask Sony to consider our lists . Maybe we should make some sort of Twitter campaign and catchy hashtag .Both Adam Boyes (@amboyes) and Gio Corsi (@giocorsi) have Twitter account and as the VP of publisher & Developer Relations and Director of 3rd party Production and DDeveloper Relations they are probably the best people to ask .It is a long shot but it think that it worth it.

Congratulations to the shenmue fans for sticking together and holding out hope all these years . When the time came you guys banded together and did what need to be done to ensure victory.

Shizuka

Wait what

image.php

ksdixon

who cares? the corporate arent willing to put in the money (shenmue) or the effort (sfv, yakuza localization), so sony helping fund or actually doing the grunt work is good guy sony in my opinion.

Toki767

This post got me thinking will any Sony execs even read neogaf? What good are our list if they never even read it? I am a huge legends fan and I have been looking for a chance to put my money where my mouth is and show that I want legends 3. I think that we should humbly ask Sony to consider our lists . Maybe we should make some sort of Twitter campaign and catchy hashtag .Both Adam Boyes (@amboyes) and Gio Corsi (@giocorsi) have Twitter account and as the VP of publisher & Developer Relations and Director of 3rd party Production and DDeveloper Relations they are probably the best people to ask .It is a long shot but it think that it worth it.

Congratulations to the shenmue fans for sticking together and holding out hope all these years . When the time came you guys banded together and did what need to be done to ensure victory.

I'm fairly sure every game company has employees who read GAF. It might not be the top level, but they probably have people reporting what people say here.

IcyEyes

As of today I haven't yet read a single valid reason from those there are skeptical to not trust in an high profile kickstarter project.

Does anyone want to try ?

RexNovis

Banned
I want to address this particular comment because the two points about risk aversion causing either stagnation leading to an inevitable collapse or a market correction wherein risk becomes more acceptable is true, but that using Kickstarter to see if there is a market for a game is the market correcting to make risk more acceptable.

The issues the gaming industry has to do specifically with the amount of money customers are willing to pay up front. The majority of customers are unwilling to pay at the prices needed to sell a video game at. This is why the gaming industry focuses on those willing to pay upfront and to pay for extra content in the games. This is why pre-orders are pushed, DLC and microtransactions are made, and why game companies hunt the whales. The people who buy used games and don't buy DLC or microtransactions may as well not exist to publishers because they aren't paying publishers money. People who buy Humble Bundles for $1 are practically giving pennies to the developers. These people are not customers a developer can make money off of but are becoming all too prevalent in the gaming industry. Using Kickstarter in this way is also focusing on people willing to pay for upfront as well. Given how much funding the Shenmue III Kickstarter has gotten and how many people paid into it, the game would cost $80 as that is the average amount that 40,000 people paid for it. In reality, half of those people paid $29, enough to ensure they got a copy of the game.

To be fair, this could end up being misused... but on a personal level, Kickstarters have been getting me various game related things that I actually want to buy. I mean, both the microconsole and VR came about as things because of Kickstarters proving there is a market for them. In addition, it's also getting me games on PCs and console that interest me as a gamer from both indies and from larger developers who have a history behind them, and now it's done the impossible in making Shenmue III a reality. Again, while this could end up being misused, I'm not going to question it so long as I'm still benefiting from it with games I want. You could call it me being greedy as a customer, but I like to think of it as enlightened self-interest.

You know I honestly hadn't considered the use of Kickstarter as being a market correction but I can see how people could see that being the case and don't get me wrong there are tons of "dead" franchises that I'd love to see revived. But, I find the idea of a market correction entailing subsidies from the consumer distasteful.

To me a real market correction would be increased investment in riskier more ambitious IPs directly from the publisher. As I said kickstarter, to me, seems more like a stop gap (a way for increasingly risk averse companies to further minimize that risk) rather than a much needed change in the mindset of what constitutes a worthy investment.

My immediate reaction to the Shenmue announcement was overwhelming excitement followed by an audible "what the fuck? This is a thing now?" When it became clear it was a kickstarter campaign. To me crowd funding was always a way to fund the games that publishers wouldn't not a tool for publishers to further minimize their own risk and such a use of the platform feels like a perversion to me. For this reason j don't think I could ever get behind the idea of this becoming a trend in the industry even if it means the revival of beloved franchises. I understand why others would I just can't, in good conscience, agree.

kickstarter rewards and collector's editions are effectively price discrimination (in its formal economic definition). you are charging more to people who are willing to pay more. i think its pretty clever. of course, for it to be effective, the additional tiers have to cost you less than the incremental revenue, but i am sure most of the time they do.

Convenience, otherwise Sony or Sega or someone else would have had to set up all that infrastructure.

i would bet that if this becomes more common you will start to see sony set up the sites themselves. similar to how cloud imperium still accepts contributions on its website. and sony already has the ability to process credit cards so i dont think there is that much infrastructure needed. i think right now kickstarter has mind share and is a bit of a phenomenon, but there is no reason sony couldnt process payments. kickstarter has launched this trend, but by all rights they should lose control for the larger kickstarters. smaller stuff should still stay there because the network effects and discovery mechanisms will help the smaller projects.

Can we have another Patapon as well? PS4/Vita would be good.

As much as I would love another Patapon (be it on PS4 and/or Vita), it wouldn't look good for Sony to kickstart IPs that they already own. And thankfully, it looks like they're not even taking that route, given that it's their Third Party Relations that's behind this little "hostage situation".

Sakura Wars?

OMG. I like you. Listen to this guy, Sony!

And he's done it in 3 or more threads, of course.

It wouldn't be so bad if fully a fifth of his total posts on GAF weren't Shenmue concern posts.

His repetitive posts pretty much goes along with my breakfast now. Whether it's fun or not is something I haven't fully decided yet. LOL

linkent

Won't they face considerable backlash the first time a title comes really close to hitting a kickstarter goal but doesn't meet it?

Say Shenmue 3 hadn't been such a runaway success in terms of support. What if it had only made 1.9 million over its 30 days. Aren't people going to be a little hacked, justifiably or not, that Sony pulls the rug on funding a title because of this?
I believe that if KS fail, money will be refunded to everyone.

I dont understand why people keep saying Sony get every thing, Sony has no risk, Sony only gain this and that.
In this Situation, Sony took the greater risk than everyone else.
They give time(money) for this in E3 show.
They funded this game (xx millions) on this game.
YS is the only one who got to spend this KS funds.

People need to know this game is no niche that it might not be selling at all after this KS. (Huge budget and doesnt sell well)
Sony will lose those $$$ if this fail more than everyone else.

So Sony, listen to Shia! DO IT! Suikoden!

Game Guru

You know I honestly hadn't considered the use of Kickstarter as being a market correction but I can see how people could see that being the case and don't get me wrong there are tons of "dead" franchises that I'd love to see revived. But, I find the idea of a market correction entailing subsidies from the consumer distasteful.

To me a real market correction would be increased investment in riskier more ambitious IPs directly from the publisher. As I said kickstarter, to me, seems more like a stop gap (a way for increasingly risk averse companies to further minimize that risk) rather than a much needed change in the mindset of what constitutes a worthy investment.

My immediate reaction to the Shenmue announcement was overwhelming excitement followed by an audible "what the fuck? This is a thing now?" When it became clear it was a kickstarter campaign. To me crowd funding was always a way to fund the games that publishers wouldn't not a tool for publishers to further minimize their own risk and such a use of the platform feels like a perversion to me. For this reason j don't think I could ever get behind the idea of this becoming a trend in the industry even if it means the revival of beloved franchises. I understand why others would I just can't, in good conscience, agree.

When companies are risk adverse, they are risk adverse for a reason. Last generation is filled with the corpses of dozens of companies that made riskier, more ambitious IPs that they thought would appeal to the then-current console market. Part of the reason why other forms of media have been able to succeed is because of them relying on a number of different subsidies in a variety of revenue models. Film has theater showings, as well as disc and digital releases, rentals, airings on television, streaming, and merchandising. Music has song releases, as well as albums, concerts, airings on radio, streaming, and merchandising. Even comic books have monthly issues as well as graphic novels, digital releases, and merchandising. Until last gen, video games were for the most part just a game release, rentals, and arcades. Arcades, which were an alternate revenue model, were on their way out prior to last gen and rereleases of games were generally limited to portable ports and compilation rereleases. The correction is the addition of new alternate revenue models, which is digital releases, DLC, microtransactions, and Kickstarter as well as merchandising. Remasters and PC releases are also a part of this trend in that they are about making a game have a longer tail.

As this pertains to Kickstarter, I'll focus on what publishers seem to be using it for. Remember what I said about last generation being filled with the corpses of dozens of companies that made riskier, more ambitious IPs that they thought would appeal to the then-current console market? It should be pretty obvious that many video game companies don't actually know what their customers actually want. Companies like Konami, Capcom, Sega, and Nintendo wouldn't be in their current states in the console market and MS would not have had the most horrible reveal of a console ever two years ago if they had a clue what their customers actually wanted from them. Both Square Enix and Sony themselves suffered last gen because they didn't know what their customers wanted. Do note that Sony did not use Kickstarter for Last Guardian which is going to be a very niche game but one that they control completely and thus completely funded themselves. Nor did Sony use Kickstarter for the Final Fantasy VII Remake which has potential for success because it is a remake of one of the best-selling games of the PS1 Era and thus a known quantity. Kickstarter is however being used for Shenmue III, which is the sequel to two highly expensive bombs. Shenmue is a known quantity in the opposite direction to Final Fantasy VII, namely a quantity known to lead to high profile bombs.

It's been pretty obvious that Sony has been keeping up with what the internet would want while still being mindful of sales potential since the PS4 launch was planned, whereas both Nintendo and MS have stumbled in this regard. The Last Guardian gets funded because it is something the internet would love and is also a first-party exclusive thus serving as another reason to buy a PS4. Final Fantasy VII Remake gets funded because it is the something the internet would love and is the remake of one of the most successful games of the PS1 Era. Shenmue III is also something the internet would love, but the last two games bombed badly, so there needs to be some sign of confidence that helping out Shenmue III is worth their time and money. Kickstarter serves perfectly in gauging public interest in something like Shenmue III because people are actually putting down cash on the promise of Shenmue III despite the last two games being high profile bombs. Shenmue III would not have happened without Kickstarter proving there is an audience for it now because without Kickstarter proving otherwise, Shenmue III would be seen as a game that would bomb since the prior two games in the series bombed.

Top Bottom