• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Some things you should know about Steam' article by Gaffer Galyonkin (SteamSpy)

Nyoro SF

On another note in relation to what makes a game successful on Steam, despite a lot of promotion from the creator and the publisher, Dark Dreams Don't Die hasn't achieved a very high level of success...

Maybe Life is Strange stole its thunder? Because your article does talk about targeting genres that haven't been catered to, and perhaps D4 had its legs swept out from under them.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
On another note in relation to what makes a game successful on Steam, despite a lot of promotion from the creator and the publisher, Dark Dreams Don't Die hasn't achieved a very high level of success...

Maybe Life is Strange stole its thunder? Because your article does talk about targeting genres that haven't been catered to, and perhaps D4 had its legs swept out from under them.

Strong userscore/metascore delta points to weak or bad press? Is that playtime in MM:SS or HH:MM?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Playtime is in HH:MM

Okay well then yeah, looking at the delta of those two scores this game has been criminally ignored.

EDIT: I'd love to see a comparison of that delta, userscore/metascore, against sales.

For China localization is a huge factor, good Chinese localization (either Traditional and Simplified) can get you an unexpected amount of sales.

Yeah, for a 125 million audience, it's very bad..

Didn't steam launch in late 2003? whilst the PS2 launched 3 years earlier?
Except 3rd Party games weren't on Steam until 2005 and even then it was only a few. Major publishers didn't start coming on Steam until 2007 and even then only ~150 games were on Steam. The explosive growth of steam didn't really start until 2009.

Kyougar

the Problem with D4 is the following (from my little knowledge):

- was a Xbox indie Exclusive that tanked hard
- Dev said the story will continue if the game is a success
- OK I'm out!

Dont frigging make an episodic game and tell your consumers that they wont get the next episode if the game isnt doing good.

(I dont know if he said the next episode is in development or not after the PC port was done and I dont care, he lost me at "cliffhanger". If there will be another episode someday I will check out if the story is finished or not. but i wont buy D4 until the story is finished, if ever.

Nyoro SF

the Problem with D4 is the following (from my little knowledge):

- was a Xbox indie Exclusive that tanked hard
- Dev said the story will continue if the game is a success
- OK I'm out!

Dont frigging make an episodic game and tell your consumers that they wont get the next episode if the game isnt doing good.

(I dont know if he said the next episode is in development or not after the PC port was done and I dont care, he lost me at "cliffhanger". If there will be another episode someday I will check out if the story is finished or not. but i wont buy D4 until the story is finished, if ever.

I understand waiting for a cliffhanger to be finished before diving into a whole series of games, but Swery was just being honest. If the game doesn't sell well and he can't foot the bill, he can't foot the bill. Maybe he should have been less honest and more secretive like most developers. :)

Kyougar

I understand waiting for a cliffhanger to be finished before diving into a whole series of games, but Swery was just being honest. If the game doesn't sell well and he can't foot the bill, he can't foot the bill. Maybe he should have been less honest and more secretive like most developers. :)

maybe he should have taken the risk to plan the whole story beforehand (or rather the intend to do everything he can to ship all of the episodes) I'm surely not the only one who doesnt bother with an episodic game if it will never be finished. (Never started Half Life 2 because it is unfinished ;) )

I dont question the dedication that Swery has to his work of but I'm not confident in his dedication to do everything in his power to ship the next episode. The honesty tanked his sales. He should have considered Kickstarter, or even Early Access (Something that would get MORE confidence from me than Multiplayer survival flavor of the month games)
With Early Access he could have released part 1 of 2 from the first episode. He would than have enough data to determine if he will and the Story on the cliffhanger or on a real ending.

I know this was a xbox exclusive so the whole part 1 of 2 couldnt work. But thats what you get when going to bed with microsoft as an indie ;)
(seriously, he must have gotten a shit deal. There was no promotion and Microsoft (probably) didnt give him the kind of Money assurance, that he could say "Wait for episode 2 soon!"

Shengar

Does D4 actually being covered by the press? I mean, I've seen some thread about article on Life is Strange before and during its time of release but hardly so for D4. There is a small fiasco between Swery and his PR guy before the release of the game but that is too small, too short, and too limited to become a (good) publication.

And this is just me, but currently the PC gaming press still biased on western game, as again, I hardly see any features related to PC Japanese game. Maybe that because I don't actually search or no one share the features here on Gaf.

Imbarkus

There was a saying in my school about it:

That's like the old aphorism I read about in Technopoly about the statistician who drown crossing a river with an average depth of five feet. :)

That's why in this case median is a better metric :)

Median can be deceptive too in situations with population concentrations at the top and bottom ends of a range. It's really best resistant against individual, anomalistic outliers. I always want to see the curve, myself.

galyonkin

Actual Russian Spy.
That's like the old aphorism I read about in Technopoly about the statistician who drown crossing a river with an average depth of five feet. :)

Median can be deceptive too in situations with population concentrations at the top and bottom ends of a range. It's really best resistant against individual, anomalistic outliers. I always want to see the curve, myself.
Well, I did publish graphs and scatter charts on Twitter :) Can't fit everything into one 20-minute talk :)

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/609408192276234240

Looking at http://steamspy.com/sale and saw some pretty damn nice numbers.
Valkyria Chronicles selling ~200k in the Summer Sale, Ground Zeroes 166k and, of course, Skyrim selling 360k even after all these years.

Also I laughed at Dark Souls(100k) selling more than DaSII SotFS(60k).

Holy shit the %increase is even better.

V5gtpOY.png

Neptunia stronk.

Top Bottom