• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege single-player will have no supporting AI characters.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Is it just me, or is this lazy as fuck?

"When you're playing through single-player there are no supporting characters," Mitchell said. "But you can play as a lone wolf, as well as play the game's whole story campaign. That said, it is more difficult.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-15-rainbow-six-siege-player-vs-ai-terrohunt-mode-detailed

Meaning that if you don`t want to bother with cheaters, trolls and communicating tactics with strangers, you pretty much have to play the game as a one man army. This must be the first game in the Rainbow Six franchise that doesn`t provide you with supporting teammates.

Update 2:

Also found this on their official forum.

Just to let you know there is a single player experience which is done through Missions. These pre-set scenarios expose the player to the content and mechanics of the Siege and are specifically designed to be played solo as a Lone Wolf, but can also be played cooperatively with up to four friends.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...porting-AI-characters?p=10865961#post10865961

Doesn`t even sound like a decent campaign.

Also have to add this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgfMdUSM6g

Well, of course! If it had other AI teammates there would have to be squad commands. That's a big NO NO for Ubisoft as they think their target audience is too braindead for squad commands.

I remember when they said jumping in Splinter cell with triangle or Y was too complex.

Rainbow 6 without a team is not rainbow 6, why they made it so there's no computer controlled AI is beyond me.

Oh ubi you find a way to ruin things it seems.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This is mainly a multiplayer game..and AI would suck for this kind of thing

so no sound about right

I was pretty happy with the AI in Rainbow Six Vegas. I don`t expect the AI to blast trough walls and plan super tactics by themself, but the lone wolf thing just ruins the entire single player mode. It might be a multiplayer game, but they bothered with single player, and they promote single player.

Welp. I was hanging on for hope but that's kind of a deal-breaker.

I enjoy co-op, but have always spent a lot of time in the single player portions of Clancy games. This'll be the first Rainbow Six I skip.

lol

Rainbow 6 game without a team in SP. Fuck this game for even getting my hopes up that it was a return to what the series used to be.

Is it just me, or is this lazy as fuck?
"When you're playing through single-player there are no supporting characters," Mitchell said. "But you can play as a lone wolf, as well as play the game's whole story campaign.
That said, it is more difficult.

Ok but... the minimum feature that we have to ask to an AAA game is that the difficulty adapts to the number of players (it isn't the same playing with 3 friends or playing alone). Can't do they that?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Welp. I was hanging on for hope but that's kind of a deal-breaker.

I enjoy co-op, but have always spent a lot of time in the single player portions of Clancy games. This'll be the first Rainbow Six I skip.

Not sure I follow. The quote isn't saying that there isn't single player... Seems There's lots of single player. He's saying there isn't any AI characters along side you when you play terrohunt or the single player campaign solo.

Based on the footage they released and blog posts, AI enhancements seemed to be focused on enemies being dynamically able to switch between attacking and defending behaviors, at least in Terrohunt. Seems that based on the games core design that doesn't work as well with AI team players since you're either assigned to Attack or Defend. Makes sense mechanically. Not sure about campaign tho.

PensOwl

Banned
Well that's incredibly disappointing. I guess that's why they haven't shown it off.

If terrorist hunt is still good, it'll be worth getting on sale at least

Cerberus

I think that quote is talking about Terrorist Hunt.

If the story campaign doesn't have AI teammates....the fuck are you doing, Ubisoft?

Good. Focus on good multiplayer. Nobody complains about Counter-Strike having no single-player. I see Rainbow 6 in the same regard.

What in blue hell!? Do they know what game they are making? Rainbow Six always had you with a squad in all the games. The singleplayer is not going to feel Rainbow Six in the slightest.

Surely, no support AI makes the whole concept of it being a tactical game redundant...

Vegas had AI that you were able to direct, why not the same here?

Wow that's really lame. I was hoping we'd see some advancements in AI this generation, but here we are and in some cases they're not bothering with any AI instead.

The weird thing is I thought they'd confirmed bots in MP before, but I guess I'm mistaken otherwise I would think that friendly AIs wouldn't be so different.

Edit: re-reading this I'm not sure he's saying there's no friendly AI in campaign, just offering the campaign as another bullet point for solo players

cheaters, trolls and communicating tactics with strangers

Some of you have a very warped definition of what it's like to play online. Reminds me of old people being afraid of technology sometimes. I highy doubt communication is necessary on lower difficulties because it's almost never necessary in any game that says it is, and trolls are a 1/20 occurrence(cheaters 1/1000)that should be invalidated by host kicking. The biggest issue will be bad players.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think that quote is talking about Terrorist Hunt.

If the story campaign doesn't have AI teammates....the fuck are you doing, Ubisoft?

"But you can play as a lone wolf, as well as play the game's whole story campaign. That said, it is more difficult.

He is also talking about the campaign.

Mononoke

Banned
Did the last Rainbow Six games do poorly? I don't understand the approach, in making this a limited production?

I know they had that Patriots game that was scrapped. Maybe that plays a role. But I thought Rainbow Six was a popular franchise.

sjay1994

I've never played a rainbow 6 game before, but did terrorist hunt have Ai partners before?

Because this article seems to only be talking about terrorist hunt, not the single player campaign.

My interest in this game was only there if they went back to their roots a bit more. They definitely pulled an Ubi and didn't do that (which I expected). No planning routes, no commands to bust through doors at the same time? Boo.

Top Bottom