• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1TB "Ultimate Player" PS4 confirmed

MrBenchmark

The internal HDD is user replaceable so that shouldn't be a problem on PS4...

Last time I checked 4TB 2.5HDD's were available, not sure if they fit (in term of height though)

Anything over 2tb and sleep mode doesn't work , till Sony adds more stabile :)

KingJ2002

is there a thread for upgrading the PS4 hard drive?

now that I know this "Ultimate" version is just a hard drive upgrade ill just splurge on getting a bigger and better drive separately.

1TB is plenty. Delete shit you don't need. If you have it on disc it takes literally a minute before you can play it again

The way data is stored, i lose the updates as well. Which now a days are several gigs for games that are reasonably supported. I dont have the fastest internet, and no where near the box to hook up via LAN, so im stuck with shitty PSN speeds on top of my wifi,

If i could just choose to kill the base game data, this would be so much easier to deal with.

Theonik

Oh yeah you are right, I forgot about the marketplace which I usually don't by from.
Amazon's own pricing was well bellow 399 for the last few months I think, so it's more retailers cutting the price on their own. Pricedrop is overdue.

Vashetti

Banned
€399 is nice. I might buy this one.

Why not get the newer model and put your own 1TB in it?

Just my opinion, but anyone wanting a PS4 now should wait to get the new model with 8% better power efficiency and 10% less weight. You'll be glad for it in a year's time.

I got my PS4 at launch and it's now really loud playing most games, and I clean it regularly.

thenexus6

The PS4 has USB2 while the XBox has USB3 right? Thats even if Sony added the ability to use external storage it wouldn't be fast enough?

Theonik

Why not get the newer model and put your own 1TB in it?

Just my opinion, but anyone wanting a PS4 now should wait to get the new model with 8% better power efficiency and 10% less weight. You'll be glad for it in a year's time.

I got my PS4 at launch and it's now really loud playing most games, and I clean it regularly.
Waiting sounds like a good plan to me, but I'm not convinced it's going to be better, I need reviews first. The third generation slim (not the flappy door, the motherboard revision) was pretty bad in that it touted this exact same thing but the weight savings were from cutting up the size of the heatsinc making them much louder than the second slim which was pretty great in this regard.

Vashetti

Banned
Huh, thats interesting. I remember reading about saying the PS4 wouldn't be able to do external hard drives even if they gave us the option.

Nope, it would work fine.

For folks backing up their saves and Share screenshots/vids, I'd recommend getting a USB/HDD that supports USB 3.0, it's a hell of a lot faster to transfer stuff.

REDSLATE

500 GB is even enough, people are exaggerating, The PS4 installs so fast deleting some games you are not currently playing is moot. It's really not a big issue/

Constantly deleting/reinstalling games is inconvenient at best. At its worst, redownloading games won't be possible when network service isn't provided.

BumRush

I've gone mostly digital and I'd never need more than 5 or 6 full sized games and 5 or 6 indie games downloaded onto my ps4 at once. I'd never need 1TB with today's game sizes.

Arsenic

How much is a good 2TB internal HDD goes around these days?

One that's constantly being read and written data on?

Have to look at a WD Black series. They run about $120 minimum (about 1/3 of the PS4 price)

Of course, you can cheap out and get a Seagate branded one for $70-80.

All in all, if you plan out your disc usage and storage in accordance to your playstyle/lifestyle, you can save a lot of money and headaches.

More space doesn't allows mean a better solution

Top Bottom