• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

megathor

No difference on my end. Getting massive stutters to 1-5 fps every few seconds regardless.

How much VRAM and what texture settings are you using?
Do you have an SSD?

My guess is the texture streaming is optimised for the consoles (unified memory) so it will hit people with low VRAM the hardest. For people who have enough VRAM to not need to swap back to main memory I would guess setting the lock to 30 would fix it mostly. Most likely that some of the game logic is written with 30FPS in mind, and uncapping it leads to funky behaviour.

FtHTiny

The game runs noticeable better for me when i have it at 30fps capped.
But the stuttering is annoying beyond anything else.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Worst AAA PC port of all time.

batman-the-lego-movie.jpg

komorebi

Curious, how many people with performance problems have the 30fps ini tweak. Does removing it help at all?

Yes, but not just by raising the cap. I tested it back to back with my setup (GTX980 @1080p) yesterday and I found that:

• MaxFPS=30 (ini) = terrible (looks like the worst kind of 30fps you can get)
  • MaxFPS=30 (ini) + RivaTuner capped at 30fps = also terrible (same as above) [this might be redundant but I was experimenting]
  • MaxFPS=60 (ini) = stuttering, frame drops, etc; everything reported so far
  • MaxFPS=60 (ini) + RivaTuner capped at 30fps + NVCP 1/2 Refresh = smoothest 30fps possible, no stuttering, quick loading textures, and no frame drops except with the stupid SmokeWorks enabled (I left it off)
With that said, I'm currently playing the PS4 version as we speak and its better looking and performing than everything above. I won't be returning to the PC version any time soon.

pahamrick

Okay, hoping someone else can test this and see if it's just the game being funky or it it fixes it for them too. I tweaked some INI settings and haven't had any textures not loading in since up to the point I'm at, and that's with the 30fps lock disabled (running in Windowed Borderless without any FPS lock or vsync, for reference and MaxFPS=90.000000 in BmSystemSettings.ini)

I've got the game installed on an SSD, so just keep that in mind in case you try these and you're not on an SSD.

Open BMEngine.ini
Under [Texture Streaming] (Line 755 for those using Notepad++)
Make the following changes

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256
bAllowSwitchingStreamingSystem=True

I was getting really terrible issues with textures loading in (Like the poster on the side of Pauli's Diner in the very beginning wasn't loading in) but ever since making those changes I haven't seen any textures that haven't loaded close up, and that's going from the beginning all the way up to the part where you rip off the first panel to power up the antenna.

NIN90

How much VRAM and what texture settings are you using?
Do you have an SSD?

My guess is the texture streaming is optimised for the consoles (unified memory) so it will hit people with low VRAM the hardest. For people who have enough VRAM to not need to swap back to main memory I would guess setting the lock to 30 would fix it mostly. Most likely that some of the game logic is written with 30FPS in mind, and uncapping it leads to funky behaviour.

970 with 4gb (or 3.5gb I suppose) and it's installed on an SSD.

Okay, hoping someone else can test this and see if it's just the game being funky or it it fixes it for them too. I tweaked some INI settings and haven't had any textures not loading in since up to the point I'm at, and that's with the 30fps lock disabled (running in Windowed Borderless without any FPS lock or vsync, for reference and MaxFPS=90.000000 in BmSystemSettings.ini)

I've got the game installed on an SSD, so just keep that in mind in case you try these and you're not on an SSD.

Open BMEngine.ini

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256

I was getting really terrible issues with textures loading in (Like the poster on the side of Pauli's Diner in the very beginning wasn't loading in) but ever since making those changes I haven't seen any textures that haven't loaded close up, and that's going from the beginning all the way up to the part where you rip off the first panel to power up the antenna.
I'll give this a shot. Been having really bad texture loading so I'll see how this does.

Xyber

Yes, but not just by raising the cap. I tested it back to back with my setup (GTX980 @1080p) yesterday and I found that:

• MaxFPS=30 (ini) = terrible (looks like the worst kind of 30fps you can get)
  • MaxFPS=30 (ini) + RivaTuner capped at 30fps = also terrible (same as above) [this might be redundant but I was experimenting]
  • MaxFPS=60 (ini) = stuttering, frame drops, etc; everything reported so far
  • MaxFPS=60 (ini) + RivaTuner capped at 30fps + NVCP 1/2 Refresh = smoothest 30fps possible, no stuttering, quick loading textures, and no frame drops except with the stupid SmokeWorks enabled (I left it off)
With that said, I'm currently playing the PS4 version as we speak and its better looking and performing than everything above. I won't be returning to the PC version any time soon.

I might just go with this and cap it at 30, should be able to downsample from 1440p as well without any problems to help with the aliasing.

Shari

Open BMEngine.ini

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256

Testing.

MaxFPS=60 (ini) + RivaTuner capped at 30fps + NVCP 1/2 Refresh = smoothest 30fps possible, no stuttering, quick loading textures, and no frame drops except with the stupid SmokeWorks enabled (I left it off)

This ran relatively smooth but gave me a lot of tearing.

Corpekata

Banned
If I wanted to move the game over to my SSD, how much trouble would that be?

Cut from original folder to SSD, "delete local conent" in Steam (so Steam doesn't think it's there anymore). Install to where you pasted the game to, Steam will discover the files before downloading anything else.

GavinUK86

That just gives me a shit load of screen tearing.

Vossler

If I enable the Gameworks settings then the MSI on screen display will no longer work for me.

What if you just remove the smoke and paper effects - leave the rain and lighting on -- then reboot the game? Be interested to see if AO is in after this too.

I'd test with my sli 980s - but at work atm.

pahamrick

If I wanted to move the game over to my SSD, how much trouble would that be?

None at all.

In Steam, Click Settings then manage content locations on multiple drives.

Click Add Library Folder, then select your SSD drive in the top box, then click New Folder in the bottom to create a folder for the Steam Library on your SSD.

Once that's done, simply create a "common" directory in your new steam folder on your SSD.

So

C:\Steam\steamapps\common

Move the Batman Arkham Knight folder to the common directory, then from the steamapps folder on your current game drive, move the appmanifest_208650.acf file from steamapps to your new steamapps folder.

Then its a simple matter of deleting appmanifest_208650.acf and your Batman Arkham Knight folder from your non-ssd drive and restarting steam.

Cut from original folder to SSD, "delete local conent" in Steam (so Steam doesn't think it's there anymore). Install to where you pasted the game to, Steam will discover the files before downloading anything else.
That method only works if your SSD has enough space for the game X2. Otherwise Steam will throw the not enough disk space error.

Ryde3

None at all.

In Steam, Click Settings then manage content locations on multiple drives.

Click Add Library Folder, then select your SSD drive in the top box, then click New Folder in the bottom to create a folder for the Steam Library on your SSD.

Once that's done, simply create a "common" directory in your new steam folder on your SSD.

So

Move the Batman Arkham Knight folder to the common directory, then from the steamapps folder on your current game drive, move the appmanifest_208650.acf file from steamapps to your new steamapps folder.

Then its a simple matter of deleting appmanifest_208650.acf and your Batman Arkham Knight folder from your non-ssd drive and restarting steam.

That method only works if your SSD has enough space for the game X2. Otherwise Steam will throw the not enough disk space error.

sh*t, literally just deleted it and started the install again after cleaning some space up on my SSD, wish I saw this post first.

Teleporter

dont need any third party tools now on Steam!
>Just back up your game!
>Move the original installation to the desired drive.
>Delete the original game using Steam
>Reinstall the game using Steam on the drive you moved the game
>Steam will read all the files are present on the directory and not download anything

Hope it works for you! Here works like a charm in all my recently installed games.

JohngPR

Winner winner. Batman will run like shit anyways dinner. :p

Braag

Who thinks we'll get an update from WB/RS/IG today? Lol.

Considering their only response has been that "some players are having issues so try out these different graphics settings"

I doubt we're gonna get anything more than that for a while. At least when other companies fuck up this bad (like Ubisoft) they apologize and even give some sort of compensation to the customers but WB doesn't seem to care much. I guess the console versions are selling well enough that losing the PC crowd doesn't hurt.

Xyber

Anyone been able to verify this while ensuring all 4 settings are ON and the game has been restarted?

Whenever I enable smoke/debris it won't display the overlay so I don't know how he can see it. Without those 2 enabled it's still dx11 at least.

charpunk

dont need any third party tools now on Steam!
>Just back up your game!
>Move the original installation to the desired drive.
>Delete the original game using Steam
>Reinstall the game using Steam on the drive you moved the game
>Steam will read all the files are present on the directory and not download anything

Hope it works for you! Here works like a charm in all my recently installed games.

It's way easier opening steamtool or steammover and clicking like two buttons.

Salsa

this is the method for moving to your SSD:

everything else is crap for different reasons

keep in mind i've had to reboot my PC rather than just restart Steam for some reason. only happened in a couple cases

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The PC version of Unity looked fucking amazing, seeing the performance many people felt it was justified there. With this one it looks the worst and it runs horribly, there's no redeeming value.

Also Ubisoft gave the season pass out for free as repayment, I doubt WB will be doing that here.

No they didn't, they gave normal costumers the dead king dlc, and gave season pass owners a free game.

bee

for the rivatuner not showing stats in game, anyone tried enabling 'custom d3d support' option or even switching render mode to vector 2d? don't own the game myself

Such a weird thing given how incredibly in-depth the graphical options were for Cities and Origins. The latter had tessellated snow everywhere that looked so good!

Anyone been able to verify this while ensuring all 4 settings are ON and the game has been restarted?

It's true. Just tested it out myself.

Edit: after a few restarts and changing settings, it seems to be the fog and interactive paper that switches the client to DX10. Rain and light shafts On are DX11. That explains the need for restarts when they're toggled.

Xyber

this is the method for moving to your SSD:

everything else is crap for different reasons

keep in mind i've had to reboot my PC rather than just restart Steam for some reason. only happened in a couple cases

Eh, moving that appmanifest is just one extra step that is completely unnecessary. I always just cut the game folder and paste it in the common folder on the other drive. Delete local content in steam and then install, selecting the other drive where I have a Steam folder setup already. No need to restart Steam (or even the PC).

Nothing crappy about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Salsa

Eh, moving that appmanifest is just one extra step that is completely unnecessary.¯

Steam can take a long-ass while to check your files and understand what you already have and all that

it's just a bar that goes on and on on the sort of big games you ussually move

moving the manifest completely removes this process with no downside

Shari

Open BMEngine.ini

Code:
PoolSize=2048
MemoryMargin=256

Got the game capped to 30 fps and even so some textures failed loading.

I did the whole ace chemicals part with this config and didnt see any texture off place.

Going to add the AO through sweetfx and play like this until they fix their shit.

pahamrick

Eh, moving that appmanifest is just one extra step that is completely unnecessary. I always just cut the game folder and paste it in the common folder on the other drive. Delete local content in steam and then install, selecting the other drive where I have a Steam folder setup already. No need to restart Steam (or even the PC).

Nothing crappy about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Except if you pick the option to install and have steam discover files, it won't work if the SSD / Whatever drive you moved to doesn't have enough space to have the game installed twice, because Steam won't discover the files if there isn't enough space to cover downloading the entire game.

It's a weird thing they've never fixed.

Xyber

Steam can take a long-ass while to check your files and understand what you already have and all that

it's just a bar that goes on and on on the sort of big games you ussually move

moving the manifest completely removes this process with no downside

Huh, it has never taken more than a few seconds for me. Click install, it starts and is done almost right away.

I did it with GTAV and The Witcher just recently, no problems at all.

Top Bottom