• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

ZombAid82

Damn you rich, now I had to buy one!!!
Really stoked, hope the d-pad is as good as everybody says.
Gonna leave a comment as soon as it arrives.
I paid 31€ on amazon.de. Good price, if quality is as anticipated.

ROFISH

Neo Member
I got a SFC30 controller thanks to this thread, and I love it. Except that I was kinda annoyed that 360/XInput mode didn't work for bluetooth modes. I'd much rather be cordless; but games work much, much better with it. (Also I couldn't get it to work on USB either; apparently they removed it to make space for Wii mode.)

So I wrote a simple app that takes the input and emulates a 360/XInput controller. I've only tried it on Downwell and Shovel Knight, but it works great! Also has a higher compatibility as you can swap between the arrows working on the d-pad or left stick depending on how the game originally worked. And as a bonus: you can swap between using the buttons as labeled, or swapping A/B and X/Y so that the physical layout is the same as the 360's. (Thus remapping B to be on the right instead of the bottom.)

Just open and leave minimized in the background.

https://github.com/ROFISH/FC30XInput/releases

(For Bluetooth, use the hidden START+R mode for full joystick, the default START only method puts the control pad as keyboard arrows, which is annoying and can't capture.)

fernoca

Ordered one of the SNES looking ones a few days ago, was a nice coincidence seeing this thread bumped and with such great impressions.

Hopefully it is as good as everyone says, though I just ordered it because I wanted something that looked like a SNES controller for some Wii games. :p

ZombAid82

I got my SNES30 on the Weekend and tried it a little bit with my Nexus and SNES9x.
the D-Pad is awesome, buttons have a good push "feeling".
Recommended for everybody who needs a SNES-Controller for a Non-SNES^^

emag

I got a SFC30 controller thanks to this thread, and I love it. Except that I was kinda annoyed that 360/XInput mode didn't work for bluetooth modes. I'd much rather be cordless; but games work much, much better with it. (Also I couldn't get it to work on USB either; apparently they removed it to make space for Wii mode.)

So I wrote a simple app that takes the input and emulates a 360/XInput controller.

Just to clarify, this is for the FC30 (NES/Famicom meets classic controller with analog sticks), not the SFC30 (SNES/SFC controller style without sticks), correct?

On an unrelated note, how does the FC30's d-pad feel? I greatly prefer the softer/smoother SNES d-pad to the sharper/harder NES d-pad.

fernoca

Add another happy costumer.
The packaging alone is so incredibly well done. The actual controller not only is top notch, but feels great too.

Is like they took the official SNES controller, removed Nintendo's brand, the wire the plug it, added an USB port to charge along a battery and bluetooth for wireless.

Really pleased with everything.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Considering getting one of these for my Raspberry Pi, although I have PS3 controllers I'm using that could save me the £20 or so it costs. How does this compare to the Pro with the analog sticks?

dock

My one wish for the 8bitdo is that they allow us to customise the keyboard layout in firmware. I would love to set up a buttons as z, x, c, esc and enter, with arrow keys. It would be very convenient to be able to play most 2D indie action games with this setup, and even flash games.

Crub

So I wrote a simple app that takes the input and emulates a 360/XInput controller. I've only tried it on Downwell and Shovel Knight, but it works great! Also has a higher compatibility as you can swap between the arrows working on the d-pad or left stick depending on how the game originally worked. And as a bonus: you can swap between using the buttons as labeled, or swapping A/B and X/Y so that the physical layout is the same as the 360's. (Thus remapping B to be on the right instead of the bottom.)

(For Bluetooth, use the hidden START+R mode for full joystick, the default START only method puts the control pad as keyboard arrows, which is annoying and can't capture.)
This is exactly what I've been waiting for. 360CE has been really hit and miss for me so looking forward to trying this out.

Thanks for doing what 8Bitdon't. :)

Got myself an SFC30, lovely. Was about £22 delivered on Amazon.co.uk and came with the latest firmware installed!

With Bluetooth keyboard compatibility coming soon to the new Apple TV (it's in the current developer beta) we will hopefully see games adding keyboard support (much easier than adding iCade support) and becoming compatible with these controllers. Let's hope so!

dock

With Bluetooth keyboard compatibility coming soon to the new Apple TV (it's in the current developer beta) we will hopefully see games adding keyboard support (much easier than adding iCade support) and becoming compatible with these controllers. Let's hope so!
The bluetooth api doesn't allow for multiple keys held down. it's useless for gamedev.

RhyDin

Since this works by mapping the d-pad to arrow keys, will two of these work simultaneously on Windows 10 and El Capitan for SNES emulators?

I have the SNES controller replica, it works great in ZSNES and with my tablet playing the Taxman remakes of Sonic CD, 1 and 2.

The bluetooth api doesn't allow for multiple keys held down. it's useless for gamedev.

I'd be surprised, but considering Apple seems to be going out of its way to cripple Apple TV's chances of actually being a legitimate gaming device instead of being a pale imitation of one like mobile devices... Though I imagine that's at least partly because they don't want casual players complaining about certain games forcing them to use a controller/keyboard peripheral instead of the remote thing. They'd rather give the finger to hardcore gamers than potentially piss off their lucrative casual userbase.

Sophia

Oh my gosh, this makes Darius Burst perfectly playable (game has issues with DirectInput controllers) thank you so much! >.<;

Wife bought me one of these for Christmas, I can't sing its praises enough. I don't spend a ton of time on emulators but with this, I think that's going to change. Just gotta get through a few games I've got on the backlog and then I'm going back to some retro goodness.

fernoca

I should also note that while the Wii Remote emulation on Wii/Wii U is a nice extra, it is just that: a Wii Remote.

So anyone grabbing this as a substitute of a Classic Controller on Wii/Wii U, it won't work. It is only compatible with games that support the Wii Remote, so the buttons are translated to it. Don't expect SNES like controls on it.

The mapping is:
Wii Remote - SNES30
B - X
1 - Y
A - A
2 - B
- - Select
+ - Start

Amazing product still. Definetely considering the NES variant just for collection's sake.

I should also note that while the Wii Remote emulation on Wii/Wii U is a nice extra, it is just that: a Wii Remote.

So anyone grabbing this as a substitute of a Classic Controller on Wii/Wii U, it won't work. It is only compatible with games that support the Wii Remote, so the buttons are translated to it. Don't expect SNES like controls on it.
It seems they're working on better Wii support.

http://forum.8bitdo.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=797&extra=page=2&mobile=2

HotHamBoy

Hey guys, just wanted to share my own opinions on the SNES30 as I just got mine in the mail today!

In a word: AWESOME.

I was apprehensive because I've found Chinese replica products like these can be a bit underwhelming, but this thing is 100% legit. I grabbed one of my old SNES controllers for comparison and they really did an incredible job. It looks and feels authentic. The shoulder buttons don't feel quite as mushy, actually, but in a good way. Everything feels like the original controller with the exception of the plastic material used for the D-Pad, which seems slightly different. The D-Pad's form and a feel is spot-on, however. It's as light as a real SNES controller too, and using the thing with different platforms is super easy.

I was really blown away by the quality of the packaging, too. The box is really nice and hard, the inner package is super classy and thought-out. I would say it is the kind of thing you might expect from an Apple product, but with a more grass-roots/artisinal look. The included USB cable is surprisingly high-quality, the key chain is a fun bonus, the manual is easy to understand and the "ring stander" is actually pretty neat, seems like a clever way to keep from dropping your phone while texting.

If any of you are on the fence, don't hesitate. The price is great for a bluetooth controller of this build quality with this wide of a range of native compatibility. I've certainly paid more for much worse (*cough*MOGA*cough*).

Solid "A"

I've got a NES30 Pro coming in the mail soon, I'll be back with those impressions for those who want them!

Does this work with Macs and iPads?

Also, daaaaamn
FC30-Pro.jpg

Rongolian

Banned
Wow those wireline adaptors would be incredible. Will definitely be keeping an eye out for those.

I grabbed the super famicom version of the controller a few months back and really love it. THOSE COLORS.

Sophia

rochers

Neo Member
I dunno if it's just the NES games I'm playing, but I get input lag. :

EDIT: Yeah, Wii U mode definitely has input lag. Felt it in Contra 3 as well.

Sorry to hear that, the pro controller mode is working great for me, maybe post in the support forum and see if they can help?

I had a few issues with using it as a Wii remote for DKCR, a few times it just wouldn't recognise my input and DK stopped moving.

fernoca

For anyone looking to use the SNES30/SFC30 as a Wii U pro controller, there's a beta firmware update.

http://forum.8bitdo.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=826&extra=page=1&mobile=2

I've updated mine and I've used it for all my SNES VC games and also Mario Kart 8 and it worked perfectly!
Awesome. Will try later.

EDIT:
Yep. Really great!!
Tried Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World and worked perfectly.

Smash as expected works in theory, but because Smash uses the pad for taunts you can't move.

who cares if you sound like an advertisement OP? good product deserves good word of mouth. I'm sure the guys who put this apparently solid product together do appreciate endorsements like this, you're making a good retro controller in a sea of shitty ones more visible to many of us. Gonna try and buy me one of these tonight.

rochers

Neo Member
Awesome. Will try later.

EDIT:
Yep. Really great!!
Tried Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolly World and worked perfectly.

Smash as expected works in theory, but because Smash uses the pad for taunts you can't move.

That's a shame about Smash, I'm going to pick up a copy of NSMB WiiU again, it should work pretty well with that!

deleted

For anyone looking to use the SNES30/SFC30 as a Wii U pro controller, there's a beta firmware update.

I've updated mine and I've used it for all my SNES VC games and also Mario Kart 8 and it worked perfectly!

Finally! I didn't think they would add it anymore, since I ask on their forums and they had nothing planned..
It's pretty much the perfect addition to this controller. Having it play VC games is pretty much worth it all by itself.

fernoca

And today got the NES30 and everything is as great as the SNES30.

Though I did noticed that in 3D World when used as a Wii U Pro, since you use pipes with ZL and there's no ZL on either...you're stuck.

It is still a great alternative for games that don't use analog for movement and ZL/ZR for anything. Super Mario Maker, Yoshi, Mario Kart, NES, SNES, GBA... etc.

Such a great quality and care put on everything.

3DShovel

Got this controller maybe 2 weeks ago, absolutely love it. Feels the same (if not better) as the original SNES pad, and that's a great feat. Playing through Super Metroid is excellent with this thing!

Pick it up if you're looking for a retro controller!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Whoa! You're a star! &#127775;&#128171;
&#127942;

Holy shit.&#127866;&#127867;&#127870;&#127863;&#127864;
This thing might finally became usable, so far it had been a waste of money thanks to how clunky it is to just set it up to work as a Wii Remote, lacking the home button/navigating the home menu function basically killed the thing for me since every goddamn time you need to connect a Wii Remote, go into settings, switch to the 8bitdo and so on...

Although I really hope what I'm reading about lag in WiiU mode isn't true in my case, otherwise it s back to square one

Definite lag in wiiu pro mode vs a real pro controller. It's not huge, but it's definitely there. (plenty of emulation solutions have had similar amounts of lag and people found that they were fine, it just depends on how sensitive you are)

But seriously, do a side by side jump test in SMW if you doubt.

Definite lag in wiiu pro mode vs a real pro controller. It's not huge, but it's definitely there. (plenty of emulation solutions have had similar amounts of lag and people found that they were fine, it just depends on how sensitive you are)

But seriously, do a side by side jump test in SMW if you doubt.

Edit: misunderstood the post.

cantona222

I need a recommendation for a controller to use on my Retron 5. All the original retro controllers I bought have issues (SNES Genesis). I want a brand new controller to Play SNES and Genesis games.

How do you know...

When the controller is dying / dead
If it is charging

What should I do if the lights don't turn on at all? Does this thing have nearly no charge out of the box?

Thanks in advance anyone that can help!

edit: Nevermind. I guess something got messed up when I was checking for a firmware update. Redid it and now it works. I'm kind of bummed that so much on iOS doesn't support BT controllers and jumping through hoops to get this to be recognized on my PC is annoying. Might send it back.

deleted

I finally got around to trying this out, but sadly it doesn't work for me - I'm on Windows 10 and I'm getting an "error starting 360 bus" when I try to start the emulation. any ideas?
Oh - and I just installed the most recent firmware..

RhyDin

Is there any way to prevent the controller from timing out and shutting off when idle on Windows 10? Will a wired connection do this?

Basically, when my controller times out over bluetooth, I find I have to relaunch certain games to get it to detect again.

Top Bottom