• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within's latest update removes letterboxing from consoles

-MD-

According to The Assignment's director. Casual mode is supposed to be easier than before as well.

RndFeyF.png

It's now a toggle in the options!

Everyone that cried about letterboxing can play 2014's best game in full screen! ;)

Hugstable

Banned
I hope it doesn't hurt the performance more than it already was. It stablizes as you get further into the game, but the framerate in Ch2 and 3 especially for PS4 version is embarrassing

Bishop89

This is good. It was totally unplayable for me due to not being able to see shit. I only got like a couple chapters in at launch then put it back in my backlog.

Is it an option? I just got done playing it for like two hours after DL'ing the update and didn't notice a difference....

Yep, it's there. Funny, I always kinda didn't mind them, and it wasn't until today I was like "This shit is annoying." Maybe it'll make the rest of my Akumu run a little easier.... Maybe.

Bodom78

Nice, I plan to play though it again eventually for some achievements so this is good to me. Loved the game despite its issues.

W.S.

Lame how? I imagine they'll give you the option to keep it enabled.

I don't know what you're asking.

The letterboxing, I read that for the PC version the "removal" was handled by just zooming into the main area until the letterbox disappeared or something along those lines.

um, I JUST played this to see what was different about the patch and did NOT see this....

double checking now tho, so hold on

EDIT:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IT'S TRUE!

KEe0x3Q.jpg

Erevador

Started the game, was really enjoying it, but not a huge fan of the black bars. Didn't finish it because I got busy with other things, but want to get back to it.

Look forward to playing the rest of the game sans bars.

Mechazawa

The letterboxing, I read that for the PC version the "removal" was handled by just zooming into the main area until the letterbox disappeared or something along those lines

This is false. On PC, you even get a little animation showing the black bars go away, revealing more of the screen.

The letterboxing, I read that for the PC version the "removal" was handled by just zooming into the main area until the letterbox disappeared or something along those lines

No, that was if you removed the letterboxing via the command line at launch. They eventually added a real deal solution option later. It will letterbox during cutscenes but other then that it is full resolution.

ss_lemonade

The letterboxing, I read that for the PC version the "removal" was handled by just zooming into the main area until the letterbox disappeared or something along those lines.
Wouldn't that severely crop the sides? I believe the pc hack was an actual remove-the-black-bars fix that hurt framerates

This isn't true.

No, that was if you removed the letterbox via the command line at launch. They eventually added a real deal solution option later. It will letterbox during cutscenes but other then that it is full resolution.

Ok, that's good to hear.

The letterboxing wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so wide and actually was properly framed to take advantage of the wider viewing angle, but it didn't, they added black borders after the fact.

komorebi

This game is phenomenal, I finished it the other night on PC. Nice to see the consoles still getting attention after all this time. Lots of devs could learn from this (i.e. actually supporting their product).

Drencrom

um, I JUST played this to see what was different about the patch and did NOT see this....

double checking now tho, so hold on

EDIT:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IT'S TRUE!

KEe0x3Q.jpg

Huh, how does this affect performance? Did they improve it with the update too?

Top Bottom