• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(06-23-2015, 02:11 PM)
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...RPtG6GMX3OlhCr

Right, so Nintendo just updated its North American site to add a good number of the games they showcased at E3 including Fatal Frame V here. What is interesting is that instead of getting some sort of boxart, even placeholder boxart, the game has a full formed eShop symbol on the side there which probably means Maiden of Black Water is going to be a digital release only and I certainly can see that happening.
Jawmuncher
(06-23-2015, 02:12 PM)
Please No. I'll even take GameStop exclusive release over this. Was really wanting this on my shelf.

Only way I'll even cut some slack is if the price is lowered to accommodate digital only.
NotLiquid
Probably the fate that Devil's Third is looking at as well
Black Republican
water to wine
the drink exchanger
well there it is

ill still buy anyways, love the series
Littlefang
(06-23-2015, 02:13 PM)
Dammit Nintendo if you do all these eshop exclusives make the hard drive on your systems actually able to hold more than two games. I want this game so much I'll buy it anyways though.
Green Card
(06-23-2015, 02:13 PM)
I'll never forgive them if they do this.
highoffcoffee496
(06-23-2015, 02:14 PM)
Guess I'm not buying it now.... ;_;
Rymuth
Nooooooooooooo!!
EVA UNIT 01
If thats the case ill unfortunately pass.
Sendou
(06-23-2015, 02:15 PM)
That or GameSpot exclusive. People will give them shit anyway even if the alternative was no release at all.
wild wild rice
That would blow. After the Treehouse bit I'm looking forward to this.
wrowa

Originally Posted by NotLiquid

Still wouldn't explain why NoA is not aknowleding the very existence of D3rd, though. They at least talked about Fatal Frame during E3...
Sendou
(06-23-2015, 02:16 PM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

Still wouldn't explain why NoA is not aknowleding the very existence of D3rd, though. They at least talked about Fatal Frame during E3...

Probably because they played it and realize it's not a good game. Fatal Frame might not sell but if they still think it's a good game then makes sense to give it spotlight.
RPGCrazied
(06-23-2015, 02:16 PM)
Better be some discount pricing, not paying $60 for a digital only title.
Jawmuncher
(06-23-2015, 02:17 PM)
This is part of the reason region locking is such a pain. really hope they drop it for NX.
Acquiescence
(06-23-2015, 02:19 PM)
That would be pretty shitty of them to do that.
BubblegumCrisis
(06-23-2015, 02:20 PM)
no interest in a digital version whatsoever. If I have to, I'll buy PAL copy and just wait until the Wii U gets cracked.
Linkstrikesback
(06-23-2015, 02:20 PM)
Oh bugger off, no.

I want to play this and I can't/won't if it's eshop exclusive.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(06-23-2015, 02:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

This is part of the reason region locking is such a pain. really hope they drop it for NX.

Seriously.

Fuck region locking.

It has caused me so many damn problems. This would be the last straw.
ActuallyHulk
Banned
(06-23-2015, 02:23 PM)
I'm just glad I'm getting the game. I said numerous times I'd take eshop only with no dub if it meant getting the game. I'm not going back on that.
DaSorcerer7
(06-23-2015, 02:25 PM)
Has this scenario described in the OP ever happened with any "major" release on the wii u?
Vanillalite
Ask me about the GAF Notebook
(06-23-2015, 02:26 PM)
I get that this sucks. I always by physical as well.

But would you really pass on a game if it was digital only? Seems rash.
Toadthemushroom
I'm fine with this if it means Nintendo can release this without shouldering a lot of risk, I'm guessing this decision (if true) was made due to sales projections. If it's digital-only in Europe I'll still buy it, but it will be disappointing, as this is the sort of game I do want on my shelf. I even bought Splatoon as a disc for the same reason, despite having Rayman Legends, Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate as digital downloads.

Still, it's sad to see NoA take a conservative approach again, it reminds me very much of the Xenoblade/The Last Story situation.

Originally Posted by DaSorcerer7

Has this scenario described in the OP ever happened with any "major" release on the wii u?

Don't think so. I seem to remember F1 Race Stars' belated release going Digital Only (albeit at a reduced price) and Namco released those One Piece games digital-only in either North America or Europe. Forgot which region.
Kazer
No no no no no. I might have to pass if this is digital only. That would be a damn shame.
Ridley327

NoA is going digital only for Art Academy: Atelier, while it's seeing a physical release in Europe.

NoA really makes it hard to be a Nintendo fan.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(06-23-2015, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Vanillalite

Yeah, I would. Especially on a Nintendo system.

I'll just buy a European copy locally and pick-up a cheap Euro Wii U someday when it's discontinued.
Seth Enosh
Well, that means no GCU discount which is sad. I've still got 400 GB free on my hard drive though, so no problem with digital games in theory.

They should price it at $50 though instead of $60 if it's eshop only and no dub.
ASIS
please no :(
RyoonZ
Banned
(06-23-2015, 02:28 PM)
They'll probably censor some shit too.
RPG_Fanatic
(06-23-2015, 02:29 PM)
Well, if this is true, good thing I got that external hard drive.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(06-23-2015, 02:30 PM)

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...xVjq32f2t3Txvf

One Piece: Unlimited World Red
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...0_whwL_txaYElU

Both are full fledged games that saw retail releases elsewhere in the world and only got a digital release here. Also, note that both games sport that square design for their game symbols that all eShop releases have.
Taker666
If Nintendo don't want to release it at retail, I don't know why they don't just do a limited Special Edition print run and just put it on their own website for a limited time before launch (just make enough copies to cover those pre-orders).
Seth Enosh

Originally Posted by RyoonZ

They'll probably censor some shit too.

When was the last time Nintendo censored an ESRB M-Rated game? I remember the complaints about FE:A and bravely default, but those were both T and this is M.
DrWong
(06-23-2015, 02:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Shard

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...xVjq32f2t3Txvf

One Piece: Unlimited World Red
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...0_whwL_txaYElU

Both are full fledged games that saw retail releases elsewhere in the world and only got a digital release here. Also, note that both games sport that square design for their game symbols that all eShop releases have.

Nintendo doesn't publish these games.
Curufinwe
(06-23-2015, 02:31 PM)
Anyone know how many GB the Japanese version is?
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(06-23-2015, 02:33 PM)

Originally Posted by DrWong

Nintendo doesn't publish these games.

Not the important part but if you want a Nintendo example Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars got a boxed release in Europe and a full on disc release in Japan while in North America all we got was the eShop.
Jawmuncher
(06-23-2015, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Vanillalite

I've at least cut the game away from a day 1 purchase in the past until a sale would sway me.
Ridley327
(06-23-2015, 02:34 PM)

Not the important part but if you want a Nintendo example Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars got a boxed release in Europe and a full on disc release in Japan while in North America all we got was the eShop.

Forgot about that one! That makes two retail balls dropped by NoA this year already.
Linkstrikesback
(06-23-2015, 02:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Seth Enosh

When was the last time Nintendo censored an ESRB M-Rated game? I remember the complaints about FE:A and bravely default, but those were both T and this is M.

The last fatal frame had the bikini costumes removed in the European release on Wii. I expect this one to as well.
E_Darkness
Until I hear further information I'll assume this might be the case in Europe as well. We're lucky we're even getting it.

Originally Posted by Curufinwe

It's about 16GB.
Katsuragi

Originally Posted by Curufinwe

I'd love to know that as well. It's pretty likely that I'll have to buy a harddisk for my Wii U to play this game since I don't have much space left. To be honest, I'd prefer a physical version. But I'm glad that I'll get to play the game in English.

Originally Posted by E_Darkness

It's about 16GB.

Thanks a lot!
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(06-23-2015, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

Forgot about that one! That makes two retail balls dropped by NoA this year already.

Indeed so there is credence for Fatal Frame V being eShop only.
Curufinwe
(06-23-2015, 02:37 PM)

Originally Posted by E_Darkness

Until I hear further information I'll assume this might be the case in Europe as well. We're lucky we're even getting it.

It's about 16GB.

Thanks. That should fit on my 32GB Wii U since I don't have any other games installed.
Esque7
(06-23-2015, 02:38 PM)
It's a niche series in a niche genre for a niche console. Nintendo would be kind of stupid to release it at retail.
emb
(06-23-2015, 02:38 PM)
Well. So much for looking forward to that.

Still nice that they made the effort to localize it at least. Hopefully we get future entries if they happen.
Somnid
(06-23-2015, 02:39 PM)
There's such a small market for M-rated titles on Wii U. It's not the AAA game that would get attention, retailers are probably backing off it and a print run is expensive. I'm willing to bet if it's come to this we're probably lucky to get it at all.
Bulbasaur
Banned
(06-23-2015, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by NotLiquid

I reckon so.
Diprosalic
Banned
(06-23-2015, 02:41 PM)

do you really want to buy a box with a code in it?
Mauricio_Magus
Banned
That would suck but I'm still getting it.
zroid
Banned
well.... that would explain a lot

Fuck.