• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop opens new "Retro Classics" gaming section (PS1/N64/DC/NES/SNES/Genesis)

they're not doing this in Canada it seems... oh well. we got a lot of retro shops in Toronto already, but more competition would be great for us.

Online-Only + "Product may not include original box and manual"

Well, that's where I stop caring. (For Genesis, PS1 and Dreamcast games, that had useful cases)

Malreyn

Shenmue is $29.99....worth it?

Edit: nvm, its "available online only" and its currently "unavailable online"

Mariolee

Mario Party Pre-Owned $44.99

Yeah no thanks. I'm sure it's cheaper than eBay or whatever, but it's still ridiculous in my opinion.

dcx4610

Shockingly decent? The Nintendo prices are still pretty out-of-control.

Maybe so but not compared to eBay and the collector's market. Most of the prices are still under what a new game would cost. It'll be interesting to see what this does to the collector's bubble.

why don't we get some listings of sold copies on Ebay compared to the gamestop prices instead of just having an "empty bitching without knowing what you're talking about" kind of thread

also, can we stipulate that a used game market exists and it's driven by supply/demand and not what people feel in their hearts

$90 for Chrono Trigger. Definitely seen worse, but it ain't cheap.

I paid more than that for Chrono Trigger when it was new in stores. But that was Canadian price... in 1996.

32MEG SNES cartridges with battery back up usually retailed for about $90-$120cnd back in the day.

Kirye

No Mystical Ninja and Breath of Fire 3 is 35$... Yeah too rich for my blood. Hopefully some people find what they're looking for here though.

LiK

prices are terrible. better off checking eBay cuz at least you'll know if they give you the box and manuals with it.

If I ever get my finances in order, I'll see if any of my local shops have anything worth checking out. But I did just score a job today, so yea!

why don't we get some listings of sold copies on Ebay compared to the gamestop prices instead of just having an "empty bitching without knowing what you're talking about" kind of thread

also, can we stipulate that a used game market exists and it's driven by supply/demand and not what people feel in their hearts

Use videogames.pricecharting.com to track estimated values.

Here's Super Castlevania IV: http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/super-castlevania-iv

Gamestop wants $45. Loose with estimated shipping is about $35.50.

I bought Super Castlevania IV along with DKC and DKC2 from Craiglist last year for $45 total. Gamestop wants $95 for the same. Sure, Craiglist and other retail options are more random (and possibly more stabby), but these seem like usual Gamestop inflated prices. A savvy consumer can do better.

dcx4610

I think some of you are being a little too hard. It's friggin Gamestop. I expected the Legend of Zelda on the NES to go for $79 to $99. At $25, they are at least being competitive with indie stores and eBay.

Ugh, I hate that retro games are so expensive. Makes me wish I horded them when they were super cheap at yard sales and swapmeets. Could swim in them. Now they're like $20 or so.

As mentioned in the other topic you'll get 10% off games if you're a Power Up Rewards Pro member and regardless if you are or not you can use CAG16 to get 16% off. Their pricing on some games seems to be pretty competitive with other online prices.

Use videogames.pricecharting.com to track estimated values.

Here's Super Castlevania IV: http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/super-castlevania-iv

Gamestop wants $45. Loose with estimated shipping is about $35.50.

I bought Super Castlevania IV along with DKC and DKC2 from Craiglist last year for $45 total. Gamestop wants $95 for the same. Sure, Craiglist and other retail options are more random (and possibly more stabby), but these seem like usual Gamestop inflated prices. A savvy consumer can do better.

An extra $10 doesn't seem unreasonable for the convenience factor, plus the "peace of mind" from buying from a known establishment.

I'm assuming most of these are without their cases/manuals, in which case, nearly everything past NES (and even then) is highway robbery. I got Breath of Fire III complete with manual and disc art in tact and like new for $35 two or so years ago.

Might be a decent eBay alternative for me as far as loose carts, though. Craigslist is a total fucking wasteland in regards to retro stuff.

Call me when they start selling OG GB/GBC stuff, though. I had the chance to get MM I through V on GB for under $30 altogether at GS back in early 09, and didn't.

An extra $10 doesn't seem unreasonable for the convenience factor, plus the "peace of mind" from buying from a known establishment.

If you purchase from Ebay with Paypal, or from a 3rd party seller on Amazon, you should have peace of mind anyway. They'll back you up.

Shit, I bought a copy of GBA Final Fantasy Tactics from GameStop.com, received a counterfeit copy, then was told by the GameStop clerk I probably shouldn't buy online when I went to exchange it...

I want to know why Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2 are so goddamn expensive. They aren't difficult to find, both were among N64's top selling titles but holds a price tag of a rarity.

So how are they getting inventory if they're not taking in retro trade ins? Are they just using stuff they had laying around in a warehouse or are they buying crap off of ebay?

Top Bottom