• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN 2.0: What should it be like? (Twitter #BetterPSN)

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yd7sI7w.png

Hi GAF, I would like to take my first
second
attempt to create a thread that focuses on a not-so-minor issue: the PSN.

I want this to be a thread where people could add to the feature list and discuss them, and I will try to keep the list updated in the OP. Displeasure venting is welcome if it does not derail and remains positive/constructive.

I guess I am hoping that the ultimate objective of this thread is to get some traction in a way that could get Sony to start communicating with us directly a little more on the topic.
------------------------------------------
Edit: Some of the suggestions so far are about improvements to the PS4 OS, so not sure if I should add them here. Also, free multiplayer is unfortunately not realistic, so can't add that either. :(
Edit: Vote on Twitter! Tweet #BetterPSN along with the feature you want to:
@yosp, @AskPlayStation, @amboyes, @toshimasa_aoki, @andrewhouse_ps
You can use this short link for this thread in the tweet: http://bit.do/betterpsn
And a QR code from this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169899083&postcount=230 (thanks, Steiner84)
Please remain constructive and polite when you Tweet!

Twitter template:
@yosp @AskPlayStation @amboyes @toshimasa_aoki @andrewhouse_ps Please implement two-factor authentication #BetterPSN http://bit.do/betterpsn
@yosp @amboyes @toshimasa_aoki @andrewhouse_ps Please increase cloud storage for save files! #BetterPSN http://bit.do/betterpsn
@yosp @amboyes @toshimasa_aoki @andrewhouse_ps Please implement a search function and filters for download history and library #BetterPSN
good-news-everyone-o.gif

Update:
It looks like games and apps will be downloaded pre-patched from now on!
good-news-everyone-o.gif

Update:
PS4 FW 3.0 will increase the PS+ cloud save storage size to 10 GB!
Edit: New website with Twitter integration (Thanks, Bahlor)
http://www.betterpsn.com
This started out in another thread, and I'd like to thank Steiner84, Andrefpvs, Aurizen, Bahlor and wilflare for the help and advice. Here is what we have so far:

PSN Improvements
  • Better/more CDN's with universally consistent speeds that are competitive with Live/Steam/Origin...etc
  • Free, unlimited (or at least significantly increased in size) cloud storage for saves, as well as a family account feature set for saves (no need for sub accounts), auto-sync save files as they are modified
  • Username changing along with a username history system in the user's profile page
  • Behind the scenes (less disruptive) maintenance
  • Cloud storage for screenshots, especially trophy screenshots (maybe recordings too if 30 sec or less?)
  • Rentable servers for when official servers are taken down

PS Store Improvements
  • Fix bug that prevents users from accessing the Store in certain situations, needing a reboot
  • Up-to-date digital titles (fully patched when downloading post-launch)
  • Store wishlist, gifting system (cross-region gifting?)
  • Correctly tagged games in the store
  • Refined Store navigation, design, fluidity/polish and organization
  • Refund system similar to Steam's
  • Enhanced Store game pages, include user reviews, make screenshots/videos standard for all titles
  • Purchase and management of PS Vita downloads through the PS4 Store
  • Better quality pictures and videos on game pages
  • Ability to cancel pre-orders in the PSN store.

Account/Profile Improvements
  • Continuous trophy syncing
  • Online/offline status
  • Better friends list functionality with nicknames, grouping by categories (games, relationship), and VIP tags tied to the notification system
  • Enhanced user profile page showing favorite games, screenshots/recordings, game wishlist, deeper activity sections (game statistics)
  • Account region change
  • Deeper social integration (G+, Facebook, Twitter...etc)
  • Viewing friends' online statuses across PS3, PS4, and PSV
  • Additional primary PS4 for multi-console households
  • Tenure badge, let it be known how long you have been a member of the community

Security Improvements
  • Two-factor authentication
  • Improved account recovery process

General usability Improvements
  • Search function, better organization and filters for download history/library
  • Universal game invites
  • Direct developer/players interaction, statuses, in the game hubs
  • Custom avatars (purchasable or own uploaded via PS app)
  • Refined activity feed (What's On section), fix a bug where playing a game post-patch showing as if it was the first time you've played it
  • Share notification for recordings/broadcasts
  • Message system refinement
  • Auto-resume downloads if network connection resets
Thank you, Bamelin!
Flagged and forwarded.
Update: Websites that have covered the topic:

Pushsquare, Forbes, Gamespot, Kotaku, Lazygamer, VG24/7 IT, Eurogamer IT, Gamepur, Areagames.de, psaddict.gr, TodoJuegos.cl, OnlySP, SegmentNext, Wilflare.com, Attack of the Fanboy, GameZone, Gaming Bolt, PlayStation Lifestyle, Elotrolado, Level Up ES, Eurogamer PT, Super Game Play BR, Game Skinny, Game Rant, Jeux Video FR, 3D Juegos ES, Gamepro DE, In2Gaming NL, PPE PL, Gameblog FR

I would like to highlight these key words from Sammy Barker (Pushsquare):
And as long as we're all constructive and polite, then there's no harm in helping the manufacturer identify them.
I don't think this needs mentioning again, but please be constructive and polite on Twitter and anywhere else.

Correct tagging for all of their items

So instead of a PS1 Classic game being tagged as a PS3/PSP/PS Vita game, which really does affect things, it's tagged as a PS1 game

Search filters that actually work

jwk94

Everything needs to be faster.
Allow us to put friends in categories and/or give them nicknames. I could put certain friends in a destiny category or uncharted or something.

Also, give us a hub for each game. It'd ridiculous that my friend uploads footage and I have to go to their profile to see the video. I should be able to go to the Bloodborne hub. In fact, copy what XBl does with footage shared also going to that game's page on the store. That's a genius idea.

a wishlist for the damn store

free is pushing it, but an increase in ps plus cloud storage is long overdue
Add a gifting option too.

Free, unlimited cloud storage for saves, as well as a family account featureset for saves (no need for sub accounts)

If they had free online multiplayer again, their sales would have an immediate increase. And why not? It's only a matter of time before the consumer figures out PC gamers have been enjoying that for years.

Aurizen

I would really love a flexible psn in terms of games, able to sell and trade digital games. As in remove the digital copy for psn credit or selling it or trading. I would love the idea of gifting games too.

I really want Sony to improve the servers so users can get faster speed when using their console no more speed caps.

Is sony gonna have a psn 2.0?

I would like to have PS Store working everytime I try to access it, not having to restart the PS4 if it has been in use for more than 10 minutes.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
NAME CHANGES

this features needs a history.
If someone chages his name i want to know who he was when i suddenly see a new name in my friendslist. and the list needs to be consitent and permanent. Not the shit like steam has. I have been offline in steam for a little over a year for reasons and when i came back on i didnt know who 80% of people was because they all changed their name and the history was lacking.

also OP should write a small explanation of the feature where needed. Universal game invites? What does it mean?

Klossen

Banned
Free online multiplayer. How much longer can Sony ignore Steam's doing this for free and better? I really can't justify paying $400 for a console, $60 for an online-centric game, $20 for the DLC and then add a $50 yearly fee on top of that just to access parts of the game I already paid for earlier. Not to mention online being peer-to-peer most of the time, making actual server costs almost nonexistant.

I'm surprised more people aren't upset by this.

Caayn

If they had free online multiplayer again, their sales would have an immediate increase. And why not? It's only a matter of time before the consumer figures out PC gamers have been enjoying that for years.
And they've been enjoying it for years on PS3.

I'm fine if they limit PS+ again to the Instant game collection, saves me a subscription each year. But that's also probably the entire reason why they lock multiplayer behind the PS+ paywall.

zychi

Banned

Xbox Live
The Xbox Live logo
Developer Microsoft
Type Online service
Launch date November 15, 2002

Only a matter of time...

Bittercup

- Unified store instead of being divided into multiple regions with vastly different content.
Or if that's not an option at least to be able to switch between regions with a single account.
And if that's impossible at least cross regional gifting.

- Multiplayer no longer locked behind a paywall.

- Cloud save for everyone. 1GB is way too small as well.

- name change

- download list that lets you sort and search games/dlc

this features needs a history.
If someone chages his name i want to know who he was when i suddenly see a new name in my friendslist. and the list needs to be consitent and permanent. Not the shit like steam has. I have been offline in steam for a little over a year for reasons and when i came back on i didnt know who 80% of people was because they all changed their name and the history was lacking.

Then they need to be like Steam and let you manually tag names for people that only you can see. I have a friend who changes his name constantly, but I have him tagged with his real name so I'm never confused

Or they can charge for name changes like Xbox which cuts down on that stuff

But honestly there's something wrong with their backend that's preventing name changes, but that's the point of a PSN 2.0 and all that

RedAssedApe

Banned
Free online multiplayer. How much longer can Sony ignore Steam's doing this for free and better? I really can't justify paying $400 for a console, $60 for an online-centric game, $20 for the DLC and then add a $50 yearly fee on top of that just to access parts of the game I already paid for earlier. Not to mention online being peer-to-peer most of the time, making actual server costs almost nonexistant.

I'm surprised more people aren't upset by this.

they have no incentive to go back on this if ms is charging for it as well. sony isn't competing with pc. there are more people playing the most popular online multi-platform shooters on consoles than on pc (i.e COD, BF, etc.)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Then they need to be like Steam and let you manually tag names for people that only you can see. I have a friend who changes his name constantly, but I have him tagged with his real name so I'm never confused

Or they can charge for name changes like Xbox which cuts down on that stuff

But honestly there's something wrong with their backend that's preventing name changes, but that's the point of a PSN 2.0 and all that

thats point 7 on the list. or part of.

EekTheKat

Two step authentication. Most if not all the major networks have something in place now, it's overdue for PSN.

This one is more of a glitch/bug :

PSN credit card AVS (address verification) seems unusually strict about addresses. For some people Address line 1 is actually Address line 2 according to their card issuer, causing lots and lots of failed transactions.

• PS4 needs HD upscaling PS1 & PS2 emulation. – I want this most of all.
• Ability to filter games library. Categories such as games, demos, betas, PS4, Vita, PS3, PS1, PS2, DLC. It is a nightmare to look through especially on PS3 and Vita.
• Search filters on store need to be accurate and work.
• Download speed needs sorting.
• PS4 folders.
• Ability to pin things so they appear before recently used content.
• Ability to add own background on PS4 and change the overall colour of the panels.
• If people are using apps like netflix have the option to enable a do not disturb feature or automatically has you appear offline (per game/app status).

etta

my hard graphic balls
Guys, I will try to add all the suggestions to the list, but I think free multiplayer isn't too realistic, even though it would make all of us happy.

Also, some of these things are PS4 OS features and not so much PSN, so not sure if I should add them.

Aurizen

Guys, I will try to add all the suggestions to the list, but I think free multiplayer isn't too realistic, even though it would make all of us happy.

Also, some of these things are PS4 OS features and not so much PSN, so not sure if I should add them.

Is there any hope someone from Playstation will see this and it actually happens?

Bittercup

I wonder why they haven't implemented it like Ubi did.
Uplay on PC didn't have the ability to change the username either. They finally added the feature but it only works with newer games, old games still use your old username that is still not changeable.
So it's really just a new name on top that is changeable.
Not a perfect solution but similar with trophies that were introduced later on PS3 they could just make it mandatory for new releases to only use the new name instead.

Aurizen

I hope so, idealistically speaking.

I guess all we can do is hope and your post about
Better/more CDN's with universal consistent speeds that max out the client's throughput

Would this result in users having their full speed when wired without a cap on their speed when downloading and communicating?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Would this result in users having their full speed when wired without a cap on their speed when downloading and communicating?
Yes, not everyone is having issues, but I think it should be more consistent and universal, and not need for the pause/unpause or putting the system in rest mode to increase download speeds.

Top Bottom