• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Finally got around it finishing it. Very, very good game it was kind of hard for me to finish because I just kind of got burnt out at the end but I loved it most of the way through.

Sai

That's not really true, especially in Geralt's situation.
Besides,
there's too much stuff that happens between deciding to not let go Triss and meeting Yen. And the whole "*poof* magic is gone. So what now?" is just dumb.
I think they just wanted to be sure not to piss off the feminsts and end up like with the first Witcher's cards.

Also this.
So, I'm not quite following you. Do you think Geralt should have been able to take them both? Patch things up with one of 'em?

I do agree that all the romance stuff in general could've been handled better, but I didn't see anything necessarily wrong with the result of Geralt trying to take things to the next level with two ladies who happened to be good friends.

Unpopular opinion:
I liked the cards. ._.

Fuz

Banned
So, I'm not quite following you. Do you think Geralt should have been able to take them both? Patch things up with one of 'em?
Patch things up with one. It all happens too abruptly.
Getting both would have been nice, though!
Guy's a total man-whore
Not in this installment. TW2 was less than TW1 in this sense, and TW3 is even less than TW2. I guess the reason is the same behind cards and the failed relationship(s) here.
Unpopular opinion:
I liked the cards. ._.

I'm with you. I thought I was the only one.

Denton

Finished it last night.

Amazing ride. This was an experience unlike no other. Going to restart again, to see how things play out differently. Played it on my PS4, but I might order a 960 or 970 to play it maxed out on my PC next time.

Get 970. It can handle mostly ultra at 60fps, which is a night and day difference compared to console. 960 wouldn't be enough for that. I got 970 mostly for this game, no ragrets :)

Huh, I haven't seen the Witcher 3 in Japan until now and it's kind of interesting, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajAroKE1OMc

Hahaha that is amazing...ly out of place :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The bugs and th glitches are ruining my Deathmarch run.

I'd like to play the game without dealing with these goddamn fucking mini pauses when going through places like Novagrad.

I mean seriously like every 15 seconds the game experiences a brief pause. It happens during fights, conversations and everything. Wasn't patch 1.07 supposed to fix this crap?

This is just so aggravating.

Sai

I'd like to play the game without dealing with these goddamn fucking mini pauses when going through places like Novagrad.

I mean seriously like every 15 seconds the game experiences a brief pause. It happens during fights, conversations and everything. Wasn't patch 1.07 supposed to fix this crap?

I've experienced this twice, both after extended sessions with a lot of dialogue skipping.

Usually goes away after restarting the PS4.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yep.

Not that it matters in its current, broken state, but if anybody was still looking to decompress those statuettes after she leaves Novigrad, you're given another opportunity to do so during Final Preparations, while she's in her room in Dandelion's carabet.

Awesome, thanks. I picked up a statuette after she left Novigrad and was kind of bummed that I had missed out on the quest. Good to know I can still do it.

Ranking the areas: Skellige >>>>>>>>>>> Velen > White Orchard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Novigrad.

For me it's Skellige > Novigrad > White Orchard > Velen.

Skellige doesn't need a lot of explanation: it's a peaceful, seaside region with gorgeous music and lush vegetation. Novigrad I love because, like I said before, there are a million and one RPGs where you explore a fantasy landscape, but none where you explore a fully fleshed-out medieval city. The quest variety within Novigrad is mind blowing:
getting involved in a gang war, dealing with the persecution of mages by the Church of Eternal Fire, breaking people out of prison, tracking down a fanatical serial killer, putting on a play, plotting the assassination of a king, and a litany of other interesting side missions.
There are much richer stories to be told within a city, where you have a confluence of people from all walks of life, versus out in the open wilderness where you're mainly just dealing with farmers and soldiers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tweaked @ 1440p this game is just incredible.

1zekc3.png

Philtastic

If you're on PC, it might be something specific about your system or some programs running in the background. I'm playing on a Core i5-4690K at stock, Radeon 280X on latest drivers, 8 GB RAM, and 960 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD and I only ever have pauses the first time I load a game and sometimes when I fast travel. Pretty smooth the rest of the time, especially in combat when I'm not really going anywhere.

Do you have another demanding game like GTA V to test this?

Coreda

Anyone else notice NPC pop-in change in 1.07? In 1.06 I rarely noticed it but in 1.07 I can be a couple feet away and an NPC will appear out of nowhere.

Tweaked @ 1440p this game is just incredible.

I should try Jim's cheat table mod sometime. Wish CDPR added a HUDless keybinding natively.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Anyone else notice NPC pop-in change in 1.07? In 1.06 I rarely noticed it but in 1.07 I can be a couple feet away and an NPC will appear out of nowhere.

The only conclusion I've drawn from the patches and NPC pop-in is that there is no consistency on my end. When CDPR say "we've improved pop-in" I think I see it, then the next town it all falls apart just like before. Wild Hunt's tech remains exactly the same for me; sometimes the NPC pop-in is horrendous, appearing right on top of me, and othertimes I'll arrive in a top and everyone will be fully loaded and walking around before I could see the little engine gears working. Sometimes the engine will stutter, sometimes it wont.

My kingdom for the NPC pop-in and asset loading in general to be permanently fixed. I don't even know what's causing it, at least on PC which should have a ton of headroom. The engine just can't keep up.

Yep.

Not that it matters in its current, broken state, but if anybody was still looking to decompress those statuettes after she leaves Novigrad, you're given another opportunity to do so during Final Preparations, while she's in her room in Dandelion's carabet.

That's where I am, only found the statue after she left and when she came back the quest became available, but between those events 1.07 came along.
Can't wait to join the ending conversations. I've been making the game last as long as possible lol.
I was going for the ending now but Final Preparations triggered a quest I should definitely do before finishing,
Reason of State
. So I guess I'm going to get sidetracked yet again.
The game is a dream come true for Witcher fans.
I will read the books again after finishing.

Fuz

Banned

I do. NPCs or other stuff, like armor pieces. Mostly during dialogues.

act 1 and 2 were great, but man was act 3 shit. completely burnt out at the end as well, was skipping through all dialogue and not hearing the voice acting.

ending spoilers:

i got the bad ending i think, ciri died and geralt killed the last crone. i wouldn't be so bothered about the ending, but i fully comitted to yen (didn't string them both along), and yet ciri dying somehow overules geralt's and yen's relationship? it showed nothing. what did yen kill herself with grief? what is this shit?

i helped out every npc, helped out the baron, did good deeds throughout the world yet because i told ciri to calm down when she wanted to blow up an island, and in general was nice to her but did not treat her like a spoiled brat i get the bad ending? god damn young spoilt generation, nothing like her stepfather, and vesemir would be turning in his grave at some of the shit she tried to pull.

and who at CDPR decided that ciri's success against the white frost is dependable on a element of self doubt ? laughable writing.

anyways, i generally thought the game was decent, but the gameplay got so boring after about 40 hours. just hold down witcher sense, loot shit, follow footprints or scent to target, kill monsters or continue questline rinse and repeat.

i much preferred the story and focused approach the witcher 2 took.

Random question, does CD Projeckt have an official store for Witcher merchandise? Want to pick up something Witcher related for the Man Cave (nerdy I know, don't judge) but hard to tell what is legitimate on Amazon / Ebay / Wherever. Something small that would end up on a bookshelf ideally.

Any recommendations?

Denton

Random question, does CD Projeckt have an official store for Witcher merchandise? Want to pick up something Witcher related for the Man Cave (nerdy I know, don't judge) but hard to tell what is legitimate on Amazon / Ebay / Wherever. Something small that would end up on a bookshelf ideally.

Any recommendations?

witcherstore.com

Kolx

I really can't play this game for 3-4 continual hours. I can play far more than this in Bethesda RPGs or RTS games but in the witcher 3 I can barely play 3 hours and then I just shut off the game :(
did anybody have this problem?

CHC

I really can't play this game for 3-4 continual hours. I can play far more than this in Bethesda RPGs or RTS games but in the witcher 3 I can barely play 3 hours and then I just shut off the game :(
did anybody have this problem?

Do you mean, like, you yourself get sick of the game, or that is has problems running for a long stretch?

Neither case applies to me (or most people in this thread), but if it's a case of getting tired of the game, I can at least relate to that. Witcher 3 is very dense and there is a lot of dialogue, choices, and names being thrown around. It's definitely not a mindless game to zone out with for like 10 hours.

act 1 and 2 were great, but man was act 3 shit. completely burnt out at the end as well, was skipping through all dialogue and not hearing the voice acting.

ending spoilers:

i got the bad ending i think, ciri died and geralt killed the last crone. i wouldn't be so bothered about the ending, but i fully comitted to yen (didn't string them both along), and yet ciri dying somehow overules geralt's and yen's relationship? it showed nothing. what did yen kill herself with grief? what is this shit?

i helped out every npc, helped out the baron, did good deeds throughout the world yet because i told ciri to calm down when she wanted to blow up an island, and in general was nice to her but did not treat her like a spoiled brat i get the bad ending? god damn young spoilt generation, nothing like her stepfather, and vesemir would be turning in his grave at some of the shit she tried to pull.

and who at CDPR decided that ciri's success against the white frost is dependable on a element of self doubt ? laughable writing.

anyways, i generally thought the game was decent, but the gameplay got so boring after about 40 hours. just hold down witcher sense, loot shit, follow footprints or scent to target, kill monsters or continue questline rinse and repeat.

i much preferred the story and focused approach the witcher 2 took.

You think
that the loss of the one they care both deeply without restraint won't break a relationship ? I mean it's like when a chilld dies, some couple manage to stay afloat , but some don't. Yen and geralt both treated ciri like their own daughter , to an absurd point as it was shown numerous times durig the game. I mean they both shallowed their pride in order to get some clues and yen in particular didn't hesitate to break god so many taboo just for looking for ciri. You can't expect them top not break up , even if you fully comited to yen. Ciri is that big of an existance , to yen , to triss , to geralt.

As for ciri ,
She is basicly God mode , the only way for her to fail at something is herself. Wasn't it made obvious during every dialog. That and the mastery of her powers of course

witcherstore.com

This is the official store. Mostly tees and the Wolf medallion. Wish they sold prints. Haven't seen much W3 merch outside of that but some have taken to ordering custom printed Gwent decks which are look nice (images links are broken atm but look similar in quality to the official decks below).

Damn, I want that wolf medallion, but not only is it expensive (and that price is excluding shipping fees, import duties AND VAT), it's also out of stock. I know one came with the CE, but I couldn't buy a CE for the medallion alone.

Skii

Just finished The White Orchard area. Really surprised that we
find Yennifer so quickly. I was expecting that chase to go on for the majority of the game! Now I'm on my way to find Ciri.
The story unfortunately isn't resonating much with me because I never played the previous instalments. I did read some brief story plots of both games but I'm not really getting much impact and I'm a bit lost as to what is going on.
Apparently I'm doing the bidding of Tywin Lannister (I don't really know why) and answering questions regarding previous game choices without having played them.
. This game doesn't really feel very self-contained at all which is a shame as I will probably never truly understand the story/motives/rivalries etc.

Just finished The White Orchard area. Really surprised that we
find Yennifer so quickly. I was expecting that chase to go on for the majority of the game! Now I'm on my way to find Ciri.
The story unfortunately isn't resonating much with me because I never played the previous instalments. I did read some brief story plots of both games but I'm not really getting much impact and I'm a bit lost as to what is going on.
Apparently I'm doing the bidding of Tywin Lannister (I don't really know why) and answering questions regarding previous game choices without having played them.
. This game doesn't really feel very self-contained at all which is a shame as I will probably never truly understand the story/motives/rivalries etc.

At the start of the game you had the choice of not having that conversation where you answer questions, and instead let the game decide for you. It's a way of importing decisions from the past game.

On the contrary, the game is very much self-contained. It's a bit overwhelming at first but you'll get into it before too long. Ciri is kind of your adopted daughter, but the biological daughter of Emhyr, emperor of Nilfgaard. She's special, and both you and Emhyr want her found. Emhyr is also waging war and trying to conquer the north. That's pretty much all you need to know.

KorrZ

The soundtrack for this game is too perfect. I finished the game back in June and I still find myself consistently throwing on the soundtrack.

"Steel for Humans" , "Hunt or be hunted", "Whispers of Oxenfurt" man it's so great.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only conclusion I've drawn from the patches and NPC pop-in is that there is no consistency on my end. When CDPR say "we've improved pop-in" I think I see it, then the next town it all falls apart just like before. Wild Hunt's tech remains exactly the same for me; sometimes the NPC pop-in is horrendous, appearing right on top of me, and othertimes I'll arrive in a top and everyone will be fully loaded and walking around before I could see the little engine gears working. Sometimes the engine will stutter, sometimes it wont.

My kingdom for the NPC pop-in and asset loading in general to be permanently fixed. I don't even know what's causing it, at least on PC which should have a ton of headroom. The engine just can't keep up.

Ive had some wonderful pop in during battle. When I say wonderful I mean rage inducing.

Welp finally finished. Felt like the game got worse as it continued on and I wasn't even excited to finish it, I just wanted to get it over with. I was also super annoyed with how predictable, reductive, and absolutist the ending states were, no nuance to them whatsoever.

And good gravy (W2 and 3 stuff),
I kept waiting the whole game for Witcher 2 stuff to actually matter, before finally realizing that their initial hand-waving of "Radovid conquers the whole north" was meant to indicate that they were just going to basically retcon the whole game away. NPCs, including Roche, kept acting like me and Roche were bros and killed kings together when I didn't even go the Roche path and avoided any murdering. Seriously, not one cameo by Iorveth or Saskia? Did Phillipa forget that I helped her escape?

They may not have amounted to anything, but the choices in Witcher 2 actually felt impactful and meaningful and they actually had some build up to them; they felt good in the moment even if they were just binary choices. There was nothing like the ambiguity surrounding the decision about whether to let the mob kill Prince Stennis for example. I strongly suspected he was guilty but without hard evidence I couldn't justify it. But I also knew that meant I was probably letting a clever murderer walk away scott free, and the game later lets you know what the truth of the situation was.

I didn't even realize that some things I was doing in W3 were causing different ending states and I mean that in a bad way. Unlike W1 where past choices in acts have logical consequences and extensions that you may not have anticipated or thought through, W3 puts more emphasis on the tone of dialogue you use rather than an actual action. I mean, apparently I closed out one ending permutation just because "I didn't pick the dialogue in this one quest about going to see the emperor even though nothing time sensitive was happening at the time that would indicate I couldn't do it later". And other people get a 'bad' ending just because they didn't pick the most "supportive" dialogue option when the game often can't be bothered to give you more than two dialogue choices in the first place? That's garbage.

I deliberately refused to do the quests involving Radovid and Choosing a King of Skellige because of how unrelentingly "end state choice obvious" they were and for RP purposes of a neutral Geralt. Try to at least dress up the banality of the choice somehow; don't give me some dumb explanation on how Thaler got lost and only a Witcher can find him. Are Roche/Dijkstra truly so incompetent that they can only succeed with my help? Make the king of Skellige turn on the resolution of previous quests or something, not whether you just explicitly throw support behind one or the other. This felt like a Mass Effect Game in terms of decision making, it did not feel like a Witcher game.

Sorry I was continually editing so things got a bit mixed up in ways I didn't intend, that particular sentence was meant to apply to something else. The edit should be clear now.

Just picked this up and beat the tutorial section. Graphics in the cutscenes are kinda rough but in gameplay they look very solid, and the vistas are jaw dropping. Combat is gonna take some getting used to coming from Bloodborne, but it seems like it could be fun. Really excited to dive into this throughout the week.

The story seems pretty intriguing too and the writing already feels a notch above most RPG's. I didn't play 1 or 2 though, is there a good story recap of them that will catch me up on the people and events of this game?

Just picked this up and beat the tutorial section. Graphics in the cutscenes are kinda rough but in gameplay they look very solid, and the vistas are jaw dropping. Combat is gonna take some getting used to coming from Bloodborne, but it seems like it could be fun. Really excited to dive into this throughout the week.

The story seems pretty intriguing too and the writing already feels a notch above most RPG's. I didn't play 1 or 2 though, is there a good story recap of them that will catch me up on the people and events of this game?

On the combat note, pay attention to animations, the game is actually a bit Souls-eqsue in that regard. Some bosses/enemies later on are all about recognizing patterns of attack, dodging/parrying, and such.

As far as recaps:
Witcher 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog
Witcher 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

Spoilers for Witcher 1 and 2, obv.

Anyway, this is my GOTY. I know MGS and Fallout are coming but this game pulled me in like no other game has done in a long, long time. Can't wait for the expansions. And I don't know when I'll replay the game in full, but my plan is to wait until the next generation of video cards. Game ran fine on my 970 but would be a sight to behold at 1440p or 2160p. Don't know if I;ll be able to wait that long though.

For the "Collect them all" quest, which requires you to "Complete your collectoin of gwent cards", is it possible to still complete this quest if
I failed to get the baron's special card before he died?

On the combat note, pay attention to animations, the game is actually a bit Souls-eqsue in that regard. Some bosses/enemies later on are all about recognizing patterns of attack, dodging/parrying, and such.

As far as recaps:
Witcher 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiqMr0OvQog
Witcher 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSftIRQzYCM

Spoilers for Witcher 1 and 2, obv.

Anyway, this is my GOTY. I know MGS and Fallout are coming but this game pulled me in like no other game has done in a long, long time. Can't wait for the expansions. And I don't know when I'll replay the game in full, but my plan is to wait until the next generation of video cards. Game ran fine on my 970 but would be a sight to behold at 1440p or 2160p. Don't know if I;ll be able to wait that long though.

Thank you! Yeah I'm gonna have to put some time into this game this month because MGS will likely take over my September.

Skii

At the start of the game you had the choice of not having that conversation where you answer questions, and instead let the game decide for you. It's a way of importing decisions from the past game.

On the contrary, the game is very much self-contained. It's a bit overwhelming at first but you'll get into it before too long. Ciri is kind of your adopted daughter, but the biological daughter of Emhyr, emperor of Nilfgaard. She's special, and both you and Emhyr want her found. Emhyr is also waging war and trying to conquer the north. That's pretty much all you need to know.

I think I remember wanting to have that conversation so I could input my own choices after watching extensive videos on the story for TW2 but forgot to lol.

Do we know why Ciri "disappeared"? Was that addressed in previous games or is that a revelation for TW3?

Denton

I think I remember wanting to have that conversation so I could input my own choices after watching extensive videos on the story for TW2 but forgot to lol.

Do we know why Ciri "disappeared"? Was that addressed in previous games or is that a revelation for TW3?
Ciri, Geralt, Yennefer, everything is explained in the original novels, eight in total. Games are sequels to those.

Skii

Ciri, Geralt, Yennefer, everything is explained in the original novels, eight in total. Games are sequels to those.

Wait, you have to read the books to actually understand what is going on with the characters, story etc.?

I thought this was just an alternate reality based on the novels.

Top Bottom