• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
God, no. It's great. It does move faster than Bats using the grapnel boost and dives, and when you learn to combine the Batmobile with glide-eject so you don't need to deal with buildings, it makes traversal "flow" much like the combat does.

I love ripping down/up/out/in with the winch. I really enjoy how ridiculously arcadey the drift mechanics are. One of the Riddler puzzles made me think of Mario Kart (in a good way). It adds some variety, and I personally enjoy that variety.

I think if you hate racers, car games, or just wanted a third all-footbased Batman game, you will be annoyed as the game does force the mechanic on you quite often

The reason that GAF is so split on this solidifies it's GOAT status. Things that all people love are often dumbed down in some way.

It's not too horrendous...it's just not batman. Shoehorning it in, especially in the first half, was pretty terrible. I don't want to solve a puzzle in order to do car-parkour just to get the car to charge a generator or something dumb

I thought it was forced and didn't make sense in the Batman universe, but it was a solid mechanic. I don't get all the hate behind this choice.

It works, it's fun at first (5 minutes), and.... That's it.

It's not too horrendous...it's just not batman. Shoehorning it in, especially in the first half, was pretty terrible. I don't want to solve a puzzle in order to do car-parkour just to get the car to charge a generator or something dumb
You might not, but I do, and did.

Really makes for some cool, unique puzzles.

No, not at all haha. Like literally every piece of gameplay in the Witcher 3 is worse in design and execution, and that's just the first thing that comes to mind. It's even a lot better than say the blood vials in Bloodborne, and I love Bloodborne so much.

It's just different than the other gameplay elements in Arkham, and people don't want to adapt and learn the finer points. But if that's you, Arkham HD Collection is releasing soon anyway.

I don't get the "it's not Batman" complaints either when all 3 Nolan Batman films (especially the third) and as far as I remember all of the 80s Batman films had Batman using tanks/fighter jets.

Like the two times I remember being annoyed in this game were a predator segment and a tankless fight against drones.

Everything about how you interact with the Witcher 3 is the worst gameplay mechanic of 2015.

Still pretty good regardless!
I'm glad it's not just me lol

Gorger

Vehicles is not something I generally have high up on my priority list when it comes to fun game mechanics, but this Batmobile is pretty bad ass.

* Fun strafing battle mode
*Upgradeable
*Can be summoned from anywhere (if you have road access) and it looks awesome when you do it from the roof. .
*Coop takedowns if you fight near the Batmobile
*Has many purposes like solving puzzles and riddle challenges
*Can eject from the Batmobile if you quickly wanna go in fly-mode
*Feels though and breaks most obstacles - doesn't get stuck very often.

-Can feel forced and overused in a few missions and segments.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not even close, it's pretty fun actually. There's probably too much of it spruced into the game though.

bobawesome

And the mechanic doesn't even work well, just type in "fuck the batmobile" in twitter and you will see tons of responses about how bad it is and people wishing that it wasn't in the game.

Is the Batmobile bad or are the people using the Batmobile bad at the game? The mechanic is overused but it functions just fine.

YES, fuck you roach.

So much hate for Roach here, poor horse :(

ndueLeg.gif

From what little I've played with it..... it feels very gamey. Shoot X amount of enemies to charge your missiles. If you miss... it won't charge. How the hell does that even make sense?

Still gotta progress through the game more, but I'm waiting for some PC performance patches first.

Power from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

"Towers" from Ubisoft open world games, but only because of the pervasiveness of them, they were okay the first time or two.
These are worthy mentions as well.

Roach might control like a twat, but I LOVED just strolling around the world on my horse taking in the sights.

It's not bad at all. I might actually like it if I didn't suffer from stutter here and there on it which kinda kills my joy for the game and unfortunately the game wants you to use it a LOT.

On Demand

Banned
Fun to drive and being able to call it from anywhere is nice. Sounds amazing too.

It's just used way too much. Why did RS think this was a good design decision?

Neiteio

From what little I've played with it..... it feels very gamey. Shoot X amount of enemies to charge your missiles. If you miss... it won't charge. How the hell does that even make sense?

Still gotta progress through the game more, but I'm waiting for some PC performance patches first.
You're charging your heat-seeking missiles by defeating enemies with your turret and cannon. It's essentially a special meter. It works well.

KodaRuss

I really like it. It took a bit to get the feel of the driving down but I think it is pretty good, not sure what the issue is really.

//ARCANUM

Is the bat mobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent history? I cannot think of a single AAA franchise that has introduced a gameplay mechanic that essentially becomes the entire game.

It feels as if we are playing Batmobile the video game, featuring batman. The entire game is a fetch quest in which you go to X location, grab the bat mobile to either compete a race, wench something, jump over a gap, etc. I don't think i've ever seen anything like this before in gaming, in which a mechanic is introduced and instead of becoming a part of a video game, it becomes the game itself.

And the mechanic doesn't even work well, just type in "fuck the batmobile" in twitter and you will see tons of responses about how bad it is and people wishing that it wasn't in the game.

Not to go on a rant on this, I'm sure that a good chunk of those who have purchased the game understand the frustrations that come with the batmobile, but to go talk about other franchises, has anyone seen something like this happen before? In which a mechanic is introduced that ends up taking over a franchise that has a set gameplay system? Is there any mechanic worse than the one featured in Batmobile the video game?

no.

Putch

Neo Member
I actually like how Rocksteady have put a lot of emphasis on the Batmobile. To me, it freshens up the gameplay. My only problem is the input lag, which makes driving slightly difficult.

Neiteio

It's not bad at all. I might actually like it if I didn't suffer from stutter here and there on it which kinda kills my joy for the game and unfortunately the game wants you to use it a LOT.
Playing on PS4, I never saw the game stutter once. I've beat the main story so far, and I'm 54% completion overall.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Planet Scanning from Mass Effect 2 and Power from Dragon Age: Inquisition.

"Towers" from Ubisoft open world games, but only because of the pervasiveness of them, they were okay the first time or two.

Power wasn't as much of a shitty mechanic as it was a mechanic that didn't feel like it did anything.

Fun to drive and being able to call it from anywhere is nice. Sounds amazing too.

The game rotates pretty evenly between each of the 4 challenge types in the main story (chase, tank, fist fight, predator) with some exploring in between. The old games pretty much did the same but obviously no Batmobile.

The first puzzle section made me hate it. But anyway the Arkham series are the kind of games that if they still existed you'd rent for a long weekend from the video store and never play again.

So I'll put up with it.

Odrion

Banned
Everything about how you interact with the Witcher 3 is the worst gameplay mechanic of 2015.

Still pretty good regardless!

Neiteio

It's brilliant how they designed the city's destructibility around the Batmobile. In other games, clipping the corner of a building or a steel girder would bring your ride to a screeching halt, but here you just plow right the fuck through it.

number47

Odd question . arkham asylum was three buildings. Arkham city was a whole city. What would of arkham knight be without the batmobile. Then you got tanks, puzzles and chases. Especially the tank battles felt like a upgraded alien front online. They should of sold this game in pieces,its that good.

But the worst mechanic would be stealth in wolfenstein to be borderline non existant. Then I couldn't throw knives at people with helmets on. Well no shit.

Fury451

Banned

I think the idea was "we're giving fans what they want". I really didn't want it to be honest. The Batwing fast travel system in Origins was good enough for me.

But finally a big open Gotham, so naturally the Batmobile is needed, right?

The problem is that they basically made it Robin. You need it for way too much of the game and it's basically your sidekick, to the point that it feels more about the car than the character. Everything is forcibly designed around it.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Loooooove the batmobile. I still prefer to traverse Gotham via the rooftops/bat gliding but I've loved the sections with the batmobile. Very cool and unique addition to the Arkham series imo.

LiK

It's not that bad but i really hate that some of the sidequests are locked out because i can't get the Batmobile to a specific location yet. Don't gate me outta sidequests like that. Dumb requirement that forces me to progress the main story and kill the sidequest momentum.

On Demand

Banned
The game rotates pretty evenly between each of the 4 challenge types in the main story (chase, tank, fist fight, predator) with some exploring in between. The old games pretty much did the same but obviously no Batmobile.

Doesn't feel evenly spread out. You need it for everything.

I think the idea was "we're giving fans what they want".

Big open Gotham, so naturally the Batmobile is needed, right?

The problem is that they basically made it Robin. You need it for way too much of the game and it's basically your sidekick, to the point that it feels more about the car than the character.

They really went overboard with it. I even had to drag up a fucking wall.

lololololololol

*cries*

I love the people complaining about how it controls. I very rarely lost control of it even using keyboard and mouse which are historically not great for controlling vehicles. After playing GTAV with MKB it feels like a fucking dream.

Also, who cares if its "gamey"? A combo meter is gamey. Being able to lunge a hundred feet at a time to punch dudes in the face is gamey. Hunting trophies is gamey. I can understand not liking just how much its used and how obviously shoehorned in it is for a lot of the puzzles, but "gamey" is a meaningless argument. They spent a lot of time and effort putting it into the game and getting it to control fluidly. I'll take gamey, arcadey controls over the slow, tedious, floaty bullshit you get out of other open world games any day of the week.

The tank combat is eh, but driving the batmobile is unbelievably fun. It feels so good to smash into everything without losing momentum.

Top Bottom