• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse getting a redesign this summer [Now live]

Felensis

Banned
Didn't see this coming along, BOMBA! Looks rad and much better and structured than the current one. I'm looking forward to this!
Most annyoing thing in Miiverse for me finally gets fixed: the 3-minute-limit after posting to be able to post again. Now you're limited to 30 posts a day (doesn't count for game posts, but for comments/discussions).

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Much needed. I stopped using Miiverse because popular games were just pointless lists and no real way to organize or curate content.

StayDead

News at E3? Nonsense, everyone knows that's for Muppets, 10-minute-long developer interviews, and games already shown for the past 2 years.

Nintendo announced welll in advance and even in the digital event itself that they'd be focusing on games coming out by the end of this year at E3. I don't see what the huge problem is. They do directs every few months which means we get news closer to games releases and it means less waiting around for stuff.

The "I download a fucking app for every web page like a tool" one?

Either this is a joke or you don't understand all the pros of having a native app over a freaking website. Not only are there design differences, but many practical differences and a different set of tools that can be used. Browser apps are barely used anymore. Facebook used to use it many years ago (when they believed in HTML5), but got a massive backlash and tons of negative reviews and switched to native.

Ninty is so outdated as usual.

Nintendo announced welll in advance and even in the digital event itself that they'd be focusing on games coming out by the end of this year at E3. I don't see what the huge problem is. They do directs every few months which means we get news closer to games releases and it means less waiting around for stuff.

People are being upset by A LOT of GREAT, E3-worthy news being shown before Digital Event and right after Digital Event, while the Digital Event was filled with old and/or lackluster news.

Sakura

Cool. Hopefully means I can post 3DS screenshots without having to make a post on the Miiverse?

StayDead

People are being upset by A LOT of GREAT, E3-worthy news being shown before Digital Event and right after Digital Event, while the Digital Event was filled with old and/or lackluster news.

Surely if it's GREAT news then it doesn't matter when it's announced. You're still getting the information and the news is still being reported on. The digital event isn't a stage conference and it allows them to be a bit more imaginative. I think I must be the only person in the world who actually enjoys listening to the dev storys haha.

I don't care if something gets announced at E3 or not that I want as long as it eventually gets announced when it's ready and I can eventually get it. Maybe I'm weird. The best part of E3 was the treehouse stream again anyways.

PtM

Banned
Either this is a joke or you don't understand all the pros of having a native app over a freaking website. Not only are there design differences, but many practical differences and a different set of tools that can be used. Browser apps are barely used anymore. Facebook used to use it many years ago (when they believed in HTML5), but got a massive backlash and tons of negative reviews and switched to native.

No, I don't know much about native apps. Since Miiverse is web based even on consoles, I guess a native app on phones wouldn't change much.

69wpm

Lol, "web app". What century is this?

It's much easier to maintain. You don't have to fix multiple different versions every time you change something. It also ensures that it runs on every OS. I also don't think Nintendo has the resources to maintain 3 mobile apps, they'd probably ignore Windows Phone and piss some users off.

sfried

Can we ban comments like these?

MiiVerse has been native HTML5 from the get go (when browsed from the web). The Wii does have special privilages like posting screenshots directly (which can also be done to any image hosting website via the wbe browser), but the app in question is more like the drawing utility on the Miiverse, which, as far as I know, is exclusive to the Wii U and 3DS.

KHlover

Banned
Surely if it's GREAT news then it doesn't matter when it's announced. You're still getting the information and the news is still being reported on. The digital event isn't a stage conference and it allows them to be a bit more imaginative. I think I must be the only person in the world who actually enjoys listening to the dev storys haha.

I don't care if something gets announced at E3 or not that I want as long as it eventually gets announced when it's ready and I can eventually get it. Maybe I'm weird. The best part of E3 was the treehouse stream again anyways.

For each single fan it shouldn't matter, I agree. HOWEVER their Digital Event at E3 also gets the most media coverage out of any event all year with the highest amount of non-Nintendo fans watching. It's their biggest shot of drawing over new users to their platforms and this year they honestly totally blew it.

It's much easier to maintain. You don't have to fix multiple different versions every time you change something. It also ensures that it runs on every OS. I also don't think Nintendo has the resources to maintain 3 mobile apps, they'd probably ignore Windows Phone and piss some users off.

I appreciate the web app. Works a treat on Windows Phone.

I know all about that, my friend. I'm a mobile app developer. And first of all, Nintendo definitely have the resources. It's not much more than you'd think to create apps for several platforms. Secondly, there are tools to create multiplatform apps, such as Xamarin. And thirdly, a Windows Phone app wouldn't be necessary in either case. Facebook, for instance, has one of the most popular apps, yet they do not have any app for Windows Phone (or at least they didn't a year ago). Yet still, again, making an app for Windows Phone would not cost a lot of additional resources.

Can we ban comments like these?

MiiVerse has been native HTML5 from the get go (when browsed from the web). The Wii does have special privilages like posting screenshots directly (which can also be done to any image hosting website via the wbe browser), but the app in question is more like the drawing utility on the Miiverse, which, as far as I know, is exclusive to the Wii U and 3DS.

What's up with the ban remark? I don't get it. Why?

I've read your post several times to tell you the truth I don't understand what you're trying to say. The HTML5 part is irrelevant, and I don't get your point with the screenshot thing either. And what app? The Wii U & 3DS application?

sfried

I think the only time they'd think of having a web app is if they want to allow users to also make drawing posts as well, but I guess with this redesign they are going to integrate the audiences who use browser/web app from those who are using their hardware.

I think the drawing feature will still be regulated to Ninty hardware, for obvious reasons.
I've read your post several times to tell you the truth I don't understand what you're trying to say. The HTML5 part is irrelevant, and I don't get your point with the screenshot thing either. And what app? The Wii U & 3DS application?
I don't know if you're completely familiar with the Miiverse, but people are also able to make handdrawn posts as well. Should the entire Miiverse run off the web, people will be able to do textposting, but handwritten drawings wouldn't be possible unless there was some sort of java-based oekaki app, and even then it isn't quite effeicient to have the app on phones/PC due to input (would require some sort of stylus input).

Mandelbo

This actually does look alright, although I'm not entirely sure whether play journals replace the traditional method of posting or not. They seem to fill similar purposes.
(edit: according to the link in the OP play journals do replace the activity feed.)

Those posts aren't representative of Miiverse at all though :p

Relax, it was a joke.

PtM

Banned
I think the only time they'd think of having a web app is if they want to allow users to also make drawing posts as well, but I guess with this redesign they are going to integrate the audiences who use browser/web app from those who are using their hardware.

I think the drawing feature will still be regulated to Ninty hardware, for obvious reasons.

I don't know if you're completely familiar with the Miiverse, but people are also able to make handdrawn posts as well. Should the entire Miiverse run off the web, people will be able to do textposting, but handwritten drawings wouldn't be possible unless there was some sort of java-based oekaki app, and even then it isn't quite effeicient to have the app on phones/PC due to input (would require some sort of stylus input).
The console versions also run over HTML5. Check the last page of the Miiverse manual.

Robin64

Web apps are fine if when you add them to the home screen, they launch without the browsers address bar and stuff. Mario Kart TV's web app does this, you basically can't tell Safari is open. Miiverse, however, does not. It needs fixing.

?

What on earth are you talking about? I think you're really confused, my friend. It sounds like you're under the impression that changes need to be made to Miiverse? What I said was that they should make a native phone app. They don't have the change anything on the Wii U- or 3DS-versions of Miiverse to do that. They have a Miiverse website for phones, and I'm saying they should adapt that into a native Miiverse app.

You're also confusing the front-end with the back-end, I think. Miiverse obviously runs on the web, but what the user sees on their Wii U- or 3DS-device is very much native.

m0t0k1

H0wFAzr.png

Only a 100 that is kinda disappointing? Dead or Alive Dimensions also allows up for 100 photos it was filled up within a week. Well i guess i keep using abload. and my all time favorites will be also on miiverse. But expanding is always possible so we shall see.

edit: I do like the redesign though way more info on screen and it looks nice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Album is pretty cool. You could do a work around option by starting a post and replying to it with more screenshots but due to the quality of screenshots I stuck to using the browser and uploading them to an image host.

Also the main female Mii mascot for Miiverse needs a name. How about 'Miilyssa'?

Album is pretty cool. You could do a work around option by starting a post and replying to it with more screenshots but due to the quality of screenshots I stuck to using the browser and uploading them to an image host.

Also the main female Mii mascot for Miiverse needs a name. How about 'Miilyssa'?

I just realized she looks a lot like Nikki (of SwapNote fame):

img_nikki.png

Also:

After the redesign, the limitations on posting quickly in succession will become less strict. You'll be able to post a combined total of 30 posts or comments per day. (In-game posts will not be included in this total.)

That's less strict? I'm sure all the kids who use Miiverse as a chatbox are gonna be pretty upset.

Yeah that is stupid.

This is also stupid:

Note: You won't be able to post handwritten posts to the Play Journal or Discussion sections.

As the Play Journal feature is a replacement for posting to your activity feed, you won't be able to post to your activity feed after the redesign.

NateDog

Looks quite nice. When I first started up on Miiverse I found it a little difficult to navigate and find what I was looking for, I think stuff like Photo Albums will be pretty good.

Qassim

Still looks like something out of the 90s, lol. But I suppose anything else would look out of place with the dated OS design aesthetics.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Didn't notice the lack of handwritten notes for the journal. That's beyond daft. Posting an image to go along with an achievement was one of the only reason I ever drew on Miiverse.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks good except for the no drawing in discussions part. That sucks.

Makes no sense. An illustration along with a screenshot can be really effective to help someone with a game e.g. pointing out where a secret coin in Mario. And not being able to illustrate an achievement, which was one of the original reasons for drawings in the first place, is so so silly. Already tweeted about it and will post on Miiverse when I get back home since this is one area I really think they need to reconsider. I don't use Miiverse too much thus this change will literally affect the only thing I do with it! The note stating "Please note that features may be changed." gives me hope that things are not final.

Makes no sense. An illustration along with a screenshot can be really effective to help someone with a game e.g. pointing out where a secret coin in Mario. And not being able to illustrate an achievement, which was one of the original reasons for drawings in the first place, is so so silly. Already tweeted about it and will post on Miiverse when I get back home since this is one area I really think they need to reconsider. I don't use Miiverse too much thus this change will literally affect the only thing I do with it! The note stating "Please note that features may be changed." gives me hope that things are not final.

Yep, the ability to draw in discussions made Miiverse so unique. Not every drawing is art Nintendo.

PtM

Banned
The note stating "Please note that features may be changed." gives me hope that things are not final.
As far as I understand it, ingame-posts (and thusly screenshots) get automatically posted to the journal category, and handwritten posts automatically to "drawings". You don't select the section, the sections select you.

massoluk

Banned
This looks really neat. Glad the drawings are getting featured and easier to browse now, best part of Miiverse.
One feature I'm still waiting for is the ability to draw on the screenshot.

Surprised Sony and MS don't have their own Miiverse yet, one online feature where Nintendo got it right.

Still looks like something out of the 90s, lol. But I suppose anything else would look out of place with the dated OS design aesthetics.

You and I remember the 90s very differently.

Top Bottom