• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angel's Egg

Angel's Egg is very atypical, and probably not a movie for everyone. It features very little dialogue, from the opening scene and about 23 minutes more not a single word is spoken, for example. I actually think it would have been more effective with no dialogue outside of that first word and the girl's cry near the ending. Long, long scenes with little to no sound or music. Sometimes a scene will have music and no sound, or sound and no music. If it does, most of the music is angelic humming. The shots commonly dwell on one thing for long periods, in fact, pretty much every shot is like that. You know that scene in Evangelion episode 24? The famous one with Kaworu in 01's grip as Ode to Joy plays? Like that, a lot of that. One scene in particular around the 51 minute mark has the man leaning against the bed with the girl on it. The scene lasts nearly two and a half minutes and the only change is the girl moves once and at the end the fire goes and the girl moves again. The movie is dark in color, making good use of blues and silhouettes, and looks somewhat Giger inspired at times. The main character, an unnamed girl with white hair, often appears out of the darkness and shadows. Nothing is really clear about what it is actually about. No one is named. It's unclear where this is. It's unclear when it is. What is clear is the influence from Christian mythos, obvious in the name of the film alone. I can make my guesses about the men throwing harpoons at the shadows of fish, the ark-like object that is shown in some shots and the nature of the eggs but that's all secondary to this, I feel. With all these things said, Angel's Egg is probably known the most for one thing - it is exceptionally beautiful and masterfully crafted. And I mean beautiful, there is not a single frame in the movie that looks anything less then stellar. It's hard to pick distinct images because like I said - the entire thing looks good. This is like, 1/6th the screencaps I took.

yEd3T1B.jpg
AgQeq6y.jpg

I should probably watch Patlabor at some point, and Oshii's other works. I watched the first two Ghost in the Shell movies, but that was years ago. I love Jin-Roh, but he didn't direct that, only wrote and scripted it.

1 hour later and i'm now realising that most of the dialog in non non biyori repeat episode 1 was late forshadowing for events that happenned in season 1.

I feel dumb.

They're never doing the Kizumonogatari film are they lol.

time to kickstart this

#savekizumonogatari

man people are gonna be disappointed with the anime. Manga is all right but it isn't anything outright special.

As long as the manga is good then I don't see it disappointing people. Many people from what I heard have said the manga is a good well written series. I mean a manga doesn't always have to be special and not that many are categorized as such. Since the series has a good staff and the manga is solid for what it is then chances are the adaption will be good. It really doesn't have to be outright special. The only problem I could see with this adaption is if Bones goes with a terrible anime original ending.

Also how much have you read of the series?

Mature

I should probably watch Patlabor at some point, and Oshii's other works. I watched the first two Ghost in the Shell movies, but that was years ago. I love Jin-Roh, but he didn't direct that, only wrote and scripted it.
Make a point to watch Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer as well.

Erigu

There's room for expansion due to the lack of Tsugimonogatari (which I almost caught in its airing before falling asleep).
?
You must mean "Tsukimonogatari" (which is mentioned)... Tsugimonogatari is the planned (?) next volume of the series.

This "story" consisted of three novels and 7 tales, so it should be enough to fill a 13 episode season. The conclusion is a good conclusion to the story.
It assumes you've read the end of Koyomimonogatari though... I wonder if they'll just drop Koyomimonogatari altogether (and incorporate its ending into their adaptation of Owarimonogatari, perhaps?), or release it some other time (later, I assume? October isn't that far away) regardless...

Does it fill in that time gap I mentioned?
[Mild Owarimonogatari spoiler?]
Yes, it does.

As long as the manga is good then I don't see it disappointing people. Many people from what I heard have said the manga is a good well written series. I mean a manga doesn't always have to be special and not that many are categorized as such. Since the series has a good staff and the manga is solid for what it is then chances are the adaption will be good. It really doesn't have to be outright special. The only problem I could see with this adaption is if Bones goes with a terrible anime original ending.

Also how much have you read of the series?

I read enough to know it eventually transforms into a reverse harem of sorts. But it falls to traps to plenty of tropes to the point I wasn't able to enjoy it solely on a romantic manga side, and i enjoy my romance in anime/manga.

Looks nice! Loved the anime as well.

The art book has some nice background art but its criminal how tiny the damn thing is. Its like the size of a DVD case. It doesnt do the art justice!

Brought a tear to my face that episode did, I love Ren-chon so much and it made Candy Store such a great character.

Yup. Either tearing due to Kazuho's ridiculous antics or at the adorable and sweet Ren-chon and Candy Store backstory. I occasionally rewatch that episode.

Akagami Shirayuki-hime 1Holy fuck I thought I was watching something out of a Disney Movie, this feels unreal.��

Um. Wow. I need to see this.

Goddamn. I too don't even care about figures but these are good. Maybe my SNAFU fanboyism is taking over my judgement, but who cares lol!

Not gonna lie, that Yukino figure looks great. I guess its because its so uncharacteristically her. Theres one with the panda plush thingy next to her in the album I linked.

But look at this Yui one. And it has her dog! AHHHH

Ahem. I will now follow up my viewing to Angel's Egg by watching To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd Season. Because fuck it.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd Season 01

Oh. Of course. No, that's about what I expected.

But seriously, sheesh Lala has a very annoying voice

Sousei no Aquarion Evol
This is the exact kind of stupid I want from Aquarion. The frog stuff was pretty great. Hopefully Logos can get here eventually too.

wonzo

Banned
When was that? I don't remember. It was pretty enjoyable before the 200 year long Aizen and Espada arc, now it's good to read because every year or so you get another thing like THE HEART

Aizen is great though
twas a slow gradual change but i really liked the more angular look of the early chapters

zulux21

When was that? I don't remember. It was pretty enjoyable before the 200 year long Aizen and Espada arc, now it's good to read because every year or so you get another thing like THE HEART

Aizen is great though

im in the middle of that arc in the manga lol. reason I picked up bleach again to go to sleep to was because I saw it was all out in english now.

ibyea

Banned
so I have been watching bleach and I have a very stupid question.
who is the purple character in the opening.

I would guess it's orihime but she shows up in the opening right after that and that would feel redundant

man back when Bleach used to be good with a cool urban fantasy kind of thing going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom