• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 6 Garage (Car List Announcement)

FordGTGuy

Banned
Hopefully the best cars aren't behind a DLC paywall this time around.

Who honestly believes this drivel?

I've been playing Forza since the first game and this has never been the case beyond a car here or there.

Anyone who has raced online in a Forza game would know that the car fields in every class are almost always diverse and never centered around a single car.

EdgeXL

I don't see my 1956 Jaguar D-Type. I'm sure it will make the list because I can't imagine they wouldn't include that car.

GoldenA

I remember wanting the Lamborghini Urus when Forza 5 came out, but other than that I haven't really had a problem with the cars locked behind dlc. There's always so much in the base game

Gestault

I remember wanting the Lamborghini Urus when Forza 5 came out, but other than that I haven't really had a problem with the cars locked behind dlc. There's always so much in the base game

I love that one of the cars consistently held as paid DLC is the Ford Transit delivery truck. I'm not joking. I enjoy the game more knowing that's a paid extra. Since its goofball reveal at the end of one of the Forza 4 DLC trailers (coming right after a bunch of God-tier sports cars), it's been my favorite in-joke of the series.

BADNED

.... Long Beach was a first for the series and Road America was the first time it was ever laser scanned for Forza.

Road America was not based on a full on laser scan in FM5.

I don't see my 1956 Jaguar D-Type. I'm sure it will make the list because I can't imagine they wouldn't include that car.
Don't worry the '56 D-Type is in the game. ;)

Do people who make these 'best cars' posts play racing games? Like actual sim racers?

The 'best car' can be the very first car you're given in the game. It's dependent on the driver and the class.

Grassy

No chance. They can't model the car with the required accuracy anymore – BBC Top Gear destroyed the only one.

I'm pretty sure from Forza 4 onwards, each car has been "completely" laser-scanned. I know the Mitsubishi Starion that was scanned for Forza 4 had it's pop-up headlights modeled as I saw the photos, even though in Forza 4 the headlights didn't actually work. So they seem to have future-proofed the car models.

Anyway Mazda could just send them the blueprints, I remember reading that Turn 10 created some of the Ferrari's from the blueprints Ferrari sent them.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm pretty sure from Forza 4 onwards, each car has been "completely" laser-scanned. I know the Mitsubishi Starion that was scanned for Forza 4 had it's pop-up headlights modeled as I saw the photos, even though in Forza 4 the headlights didn't actually work. So they seem to have future-proofed the car models.

Anyway Mazda could just send them the blueprints, I remember reading that Turn 10 created some of the Ferrari's from the blueprints Ferrari sent them.

For a while the Enzo in Forza was partly based on the prototype that Ferrari sent them the reference materials for.

ShamePain

Banned
Driveclub drive by comments are ridiculous considering that even with all the DLC the car list is a tiny fraction of what Forza offers.

FYI: Depending on your rewards Tier you get free cars and credits in Forza 6. I am tier 5 and will receive

100K credits
2015 BMW M235i
2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
2014 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Shelby
2013 Ford Shelby GT500

Tier 6:
2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4

Tier 7:
2014 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizone 458 Italia GT2

Tier 8:
2014 Audi #2 R18

So make sure to hop on the Forza Hub app and claim your rewards.

lem0n

I don't think I see anything I haven't seen in H2 or F5, including DLC packs. Not that that's a bad thing, there are some excellent cars there. There are a ton of cars in H2 that I have wanted to hotlap. I would personally love an Isdera Commendatore 112i. Have loved that car since discovering it in NFS2SE on PC.

Isdera_3.jpg

I really just want this back in the game, it's been MIA since 4

RX7015F.jpg

How are we supposed to live out our Initial D fantasies without it?

FordGTGuy

Banned
I feel like Forza has never been JDM enough. At best, it's the import scene in America.

Traditionally Forza has around as many JDM as American vehicles while European cars are the majority.

The problem with the JDM scene is that it's not just one car, some people want the specific version of one of the cars.

Just look at Gran Turismo and the amount of different Skylines that are basically the same year and model but a specific version, with a specific bodykit, specific tune and specific paintjob.

Mascot

All talk about 'best value' car DLC needs to cease. There is no 'best value' car DLC in ANY racing game. Do the maths. Cars would need to be priced at a few pence each to represent good value compared to the original price of the game as sold.

How can anyone consider it 'good value' to pay half as much as the retail price of any game to get an additional tiny percentage of content? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And let's conveniently ignore the suspicions about content being removed from the retail game to feed DLC packs.

This isn't a pop just at the Forza franchise. It's seems to be endemic in almost all racers.

FordGTGuy

Banned
All talk about 'best value' car DLC needs to cease. There is no 'best value' car DLC in ANY racing game. Do the maths. Cars would need to be priced at a few pence each to represent good value compared to the original price of the game as sold.

How can anyone consider it 'good value' to pay half as much as the retail price of any game to get an additional tiny percentage of content? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And let's conveniently ignore the suspicions about content being removed from the retail game to feed DLC packs.

This isn't a pop just at the Forza franchise. It's seems to be endemic in almost all racers.

Oh c'mon Mascot, this kind of conspiracy theory is just nuts.

Why would they hold back car content just for us to pay for while giving us new tracks for free? That doesn't even make sense.

Also DLC cars are extra cars that are optional to purchase, they are for those of us willing to pay extra for more content.

DLC cars are made by much smaller teams and it takes them longer to make them. The price is justified by it being optional for them to be purchased. This is ignoring the fact that every DLC pack comes with a free car too.

ShamePain

Banned
Oh c'mon Mascot, this kind of conspiracy theory is just nuts.

Why would they hold back car content just for us to pay for while giving us new tracks for free? That doesn't even make sense.

Also DLC cars are extra cars that are optional to purchase, they are for those of us willing to pay extra for more content.

DLC cars are made by much smaller teams and it takes them longer to make them. The price is justified by it being optional for them to be purchased. This is ignoring the fact that every DLC pack comes with a free car too.

I've said it before Forza's DLC packs are simply an early access to cars modelled for next forza. They could hold these back and not release any DLC content at all like PD does for GT for example. Considering how much it actually costs to make and license these cars they're actually selling them for a very low price.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I've said it before Forza's DLC packs are simply an early access to cars modelled for next forza. They could hold these back and not release any DLC content at all like PD does for GT for example. Considering how much it actually costs to make and license these cars they're actually selling them for a very low price.

By selling a lot more copies of the game they are able to justify the cost of the content for $60. DLC is so much more expensive content wise because they have to justify the cost of creating that DLC while knowing it won't sell nearly as much as the main title.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Forza 5 Car Pass was 50 USD when the game launched. Now it's 40 USD.

I stand corrected.... however.

Forza 4's season pass includes 60 cars from six car packs.

Forza 5's car pass includes 80 cars from eight car packs.

Forza 6's car pass includes 42 cars from six car packs.

While being more expensive it did include much more content.

krang

you can have a female driver avatar now

Only male or female? What if I want a mixed-race LGBT midget with one leg? People really need to start calling these devs out on their blatant disregard for catering to people of all walks of life.

I stand corrected.... however.

Forza 5's car pass includes 80 cars from eight car packs.

Not initially. They extended the car pass later, probably because of all the negativity surrounding the game. Turn 10 is constantly testing how far they can go with dlc.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Not initially. They extended the car pass later, probably because of all the negativity surrounding the game. Turn 10 is constantly testing how far they can go with dlc.

Someone must've been dead at the wheel when they gave three whole tracks away....

What a greedy company...

Also... who cares what it was initially? What matters in the end is the actual value that was delivered.

xrnzaaas

Also... who cares what it was initially? What matters in the end is the actual value that was delivered.

Gamers should care, because if they won't speak up and threaten both the developer and M$ (to match or at least come close to what they offered before) they will continue to be robbed of their money and this trend will only increase. I'm amazed so many people tolerate stuff like the VIP pass or additional cars outside of the Season Pass content.

Someone must've been dead at the wheel when they gave three whole tracks away....

I remember a track pass listed on the marketplace as well as a super pass in addition to the car pass.

Then the fan and media backlash happened.

The fact is:

Each Forza game is more expensive than it's predecessor IF you want to own everything. It's really that simple.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Gamers should care, because if they won't speak up and threaten both the developer and M$ they will continue to be robbed of their money and this trend will only increase. I'm amazed so many people tolerate stuff like the VIP pass or additional cars outside of the Season Pass content.

The car packs outside of the car pass are also 6 months after the game has launched.

They did not lie and they also didn't need to extend the car pass to two more car packs after they gave away three tracks.

Also "M$" really? What is this 2005?

I remember a track pass listed on the marketplace as well as a super pass in addition to the car pass.

Then the fan and media backlash happened.

The fact is:

Each Forza game is more expensive than it's predecessor IF you want to own everything. It's really that simple.

And?

It's up to those of us who want to purchase the content if the price is too high...

This poll:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/which-version-of-fm6-will-you-be-getting.330468/

Shows a lot of us are willing to pay the premium for the Ultimate version of the game.

Mascot

Oh c'mon Mascot, this kind of conspiracy theory is just nuts. Why would they hold back car content just for us to pay for while giving us new tracks for free? That doesn't even make sense.

It makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. DLC strategy will be planned long in advance, way before the release of the game, and is undoubtedly factored in to the projected revenue stream of the game's life cycle. It's hardly a stretch to imagine a list of planned game content being sub-divided into carefully-balanced 'ships with the game' and 'released as DLC' categories. It's easy money for the developers, so why not? I'm not knocking it. It's a capitalist society and studios need to make good money if we want them to make good games. Just don't try to tell me they represent 'value' compared to what your original 60 bucks gets you. And you don't really believe that everything that is ready when the disc goes gold actually gets bunt onto the disc, do you? Apart from dealer-specific preorder and VIP bonuses (a whole other bitter pill to swallow), how the hell do you explain the overtly abhorrent practise of day-one DLC? It's like some devs don't even try to hide it any more. I've no doubt some DLC is stuff that genuinely wasn't ready for release (either physically, or due to unresolved licenses etc), and other DLC is made entirely from scratch post-release, but in the case of day-one DLC at least wait a few fucking weeks so we can at least pretend we're not getting shafted..! :p

As for the free track DLC in FM5, that was certainly a pleasant surprise, but there might well have been an outcry if extra tracks were hidden behind a paywall considering the meagre number of locations the game shipped with. As a goodwill gesture the extra tracks were universally appreciated, but there would have been valid economic considerations behind how they were released, just like there are valid economic considerations behind every business decision ever made, ever. Large corporations don't give to charity because they want to be nice, after all. Again, I'm not knocking the practise, but we sometimes need to look at these things with eyes wide open and not just blind fawning innocence.

The high desirability of those cars is hardly a coincidence. I've bought plenty of car DLC in many racing games, but it's always been behind slightly gritted teeth based on the per-unit cost, knowing the game's actually cost me a lot more than I thought it would. There's obviously a delicate balance with the pricing, which will be carefully calculated based on target sales. However, it always seems that the prices are set relatively high to tempt in the hardcore players rather than low enough so that everybody buys. I'm sure the calculations aren't as simple as halve the price and double the sales, though.

Exceptions and anomalies do exist though, such as the Porsche DLC in FM4 where you know MS had to grease EA's palm for the privilege, so a significant contribution from consumers is to be expected and perfectly justifiable.

DLC cars are made by much smaller teams and it takes them longer to make them.

This assumes they are prepared separately as post-release DLC rather than being cherry-picked from the main game as a means to generate revenue (and again, this is perfectly-acceptable supply & demand business practise, so please don't think I'm criticising).

The price is justified by it being optional for them to be purchased. This is ignoring the fact that every DLC pack comes with a free car too.

The free cars are there so that the paid models are also installed for multiplayer, aren't they?

TL,DR: I generally think car DLC is vastly overpriced compared to the cost & content of the retail game, but business is business and if consumers are willing to pay it then studios will continue to charge it. I disagree with the tactical release of some DLC but understand that studios need to make money to make better games.

Race cars. The kind, you know, people actually do race with.

Racing and upgrading road cars is the entire appeal of the series to me. You can race supercars and touring cars in any other racing game (which is really boring to me), but the wide selection of road cars is only available in Forza and GT. It's the same reason why PC sims don't interest me.

Makikou

In games such as Forza/GT, track DLC for free should be a given fact. Not some "gesture of goodwill" by developers.

The Car DLC pricing is at times simply ridiculous, and season passes usually get you like 5$/5€ cheaper than just individually buying everything.

Anyways, as long as all release and post-release tracks are free to all players, you effectively reduce playerbase fragmentation and keep everyone happier. It just how it is. Cars don't create such a big fragmentation than paywalled tracks would..

FordGTGuy

Banned
It makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. DLC strategy will be planned long in advance, way before the release of the game, and is undoubtedly factored in to the projected revenue stream of the game's life cycle. It's hardly a stretch to imagine a list of planned game content being sub-divided into carefully-balanced 'ships with the game' and 'released as DLC' categories. It's easy money for the developers, so why not? I'm not knocking it. It's a capitalist society and studios need to make good money if we want them to make good games.

This is common sense, of course DLC is planned ahead, everything is planned before its creation.

Trying to imply that they know exactly what content is locked for DLC or the actually game at launch is just completely untrue. We know from past interviews and articles that cars in Forza are sometimes bumped due to licensing issues even though they were ready in time for the games launch; some of those cars are never released at all.

Just don't try to tell me they represent 'value' compared to what your original 60 bucks gets you.

It's not about the representative value of the original 60 dollars spent on the game. As said earlier in the thread, DLC is priced higher in comparative content because it does sell nearly as much as the original title does. Your comparing a DLC pack that might sell 100,000~ copies in its lifetime to a game that will sell millions in its lifetime.

And you don't really believe that everything that is ready when the disc goes gold actually gets bunt onto the disc, do you? Apart from dealer-specific preorder and VIP bonuses (a whole other bitter pill to swallow),

Yes, except for content that is held up because of licensing issues all the content built in time to be put onto the disc... is put on the disc.

then how the hell do you explain the overtly abhorrent practise of day-one DLC? It's like some devs don't even try to hide it any more. I've no doubt some DLC is stuff that genuinely wasn't ready for release (either physically, or due to unresolved licenses etc), and other DLC is made entirely from scratch post-release, but in the case of day-one DLC at least wait a few fucking weeks so we can pretend we're not getting shafted..! :p

Really? Something this simple?

You do realize that a game is complete a month or more before launch right? During that month the developer can no longer change what ships on the disc as the code is already being sent out for preloading and to be stamped on discs. Instead of the studio coming to a stand still they instead focus on that month to fix bugs for a day one patch and have other parts of the studio work on content such as DLC.

It takes Turn 10 a month to make a car pack.... So yes it makes sense that day one DLC is possible without the content existing in time to make it on the final disc.

As for the free track DLC in FM5, that was certainly a pleasant surprise, but there might well have been an outcry if extra tracks were hidden behind a paywall considering the meagre number of locations the game shipped with. As a goodwill gesture the extra tracks were universally appreciated, but there would have been valid economic considerations behind how they were released, just like there are valid economic considerations behind every business decision ever made, ever. Large corporations don't give to charity because they want to be nice, after all. Again, I'm not knocking the practise, but we sometimes need to look at these things with eyes wide open and not just blind fawning innocence.

You're right... they don't have to give charity.... but they did.

It's hypocritically to criticize them charging for content while unwilling to praise them for releasing content for free.

They didn't have to do anything and in the end releasing those tracks for free did more to hurt them financially then it did to help.

Bottom-line those tracks were also released free because they've learned that charging for tracks previously only fractured their community.

The high desirability of those cars is hardly a coincidence. I've bought plenty of car DLC in many racing games, but it's always been behind slightly gritted teeth based on the cost, knowing the game's actually cost me a lot more than I thought it would. There's obviously a delicate balance with the pricing, which will be carefully calculated based on target sales. However, it always seems that the prices are set to relatively high to tempt in the hardcore players rather than low enough so that everybody buys. I'm sure the calculations aren't as simple as halve the price and double the sales, though.

If you grit your teeth because you feel like you're being forced to buy DLC.... don't buy it.

The price is set at a point where they feel like they can receive enough sales to justify the creation of the DLC.

Exceptions and anomalies do exist though, such as the Porsche DLC in FM4 where you know MS had to grease EA's palm for the privilege, so a significant contribution from consumers is to be expected and perfectly justifiable.

This assumes they are prepared separately as post-release DLC rather than being cherry-picked from the main game as a means to generate revenue (and again, this is perfectly-acceptable supply & demand business practise, so please don't think I'm criticising).

I will never believe that they purposely cherry-pick cars that they would put in the game in order to entice people to buy DLC.

There are a huge amount of desirable cars in the world and cherry-picking specific ones is not needed.

The fact that you see so many people express their disappointment in car packs shows this to be far from the truth.

The free cars are there so that the paid models are also installed for multiplayer, aren't they?

TL,DR: I generally think car DLC is vastly overpriced compared to the cost & content of the retail game, but business is business and if consumers are willing to pay it then studios will continue to charge it. I disagree with the tactical release of some DLC but understand that studios need to make money to make better games.

Again, like we've said multiple times... DLC is always going to be more expensive in comparative content, this is purely because it will not sell as much as the main title will.

In games such as Forza/GT, track DLC for free should be a given fact. Not some "gesture of goodwill" by developers.

The Car DLC pricing is at times simply ridiculous, and season passes usually get you like 5$/5€ cheaper than just individually buying everything.

Anyways, as long as all release and post-release tracks are free to all players, you effectively reduce playerbase fragmentation and keep everyone happier. It just how it is. Cars don't create such a big fragmentation than paywalled tracks would..

Free track DLC being free as a "given fact" is most definitely not true with racing titles.

Stopping community fragmentation is becoming more obvious to publishers and developers but track DLC is not universally free.

Road cars are used to race too.

I'm not saying to ditch all road cars. All that I'm saying is games like Forza and GT should care more about racing. But, as I said, people probably enjoy racing a small city car around more than a LMP1, or GT3 car. Maybe I'm the minority.

But Forza carries "Motorsport" on the name, so would be cool to see the game living up to its name.

https://youtu.be/CKRG3xqJ2nw

I don't know what you're getting at.

You do realize those are race cars, right?

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm not saying to ditch all road cars. All that I'm saying is games like Forza and GT should care more about racing. But, as I said, people probably enjoy racing a small city car around more than a LMP1, or GT3 car. Maybe I'm the minority.

But Forza carries "Motorsport" on the name, so would be cool to see the game living up to its name.

You do realize those are race cars, right?

All the road cars in Forza can be built into race cars using the upgrade, livery and tuning system.

Mascot

Trying to imply that they know exactly what content is locked for DLC or the actually game at launch is just completely untrue.

I never said 'exactly', but I do think it's probably an underlying strategy for many developers. Anyway, how do you know it 'is just completely untrue'..?

As said earlier in the thread, DLC is priced higher in comparative content because it does sell nearly as much as the original title does. Your comparing a DLC pack that might sell 100,000~ copies in its lifetime to a game that will sell millions in its lifetime.

It's strange to suggest that charging more for something because you don't think it will sell very well makes that item represent good value for money by default. Why should any consumer supplement poor sales by paying an over-inflated price? Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

Yes, except for content that is held up because of licensing issues all the content built in time to be put onto the disc... is put on the disc.

Have you any proof for this statement of fact? I'd be very interested to see it.

Really? Something this simple?

You do realize that a game is complete a month or more before launch right? During that month the developer can no longer change what ships on the disc as the code is already being sent out for preloading and to be stamped on discs. Instead of the studio coming to a stand still they instead focus on that month to fix bugs for a day one patch and have other parts of the studio work on content such as DLC.

Of course I understand that.

It takes Turn 10 a month to make a car pack.... So yes it makes sense that day one DLC is possible without the content existing in time to make it on the final disc.

Fine. Don't charge for it then. You really can't understand how day-one DLC pisses so many people off?

You're right... they don't have to give charity.... but they did.

Purely out of the goodness of their hearts..? No business considerations at all?

It's hypocritically to criticize them charging for content while unwilling to praise them for releasing content for free.

They didn't have to do anything and in the end releasing those tracks for free did more to hurt them financially then it did to help.

I'd argue that charging for the tracks would actually have hurt Turn 10 financially in the long run through bad consumer relations and ill-will.

If you grit your teeth because you feel like you're being forced to buy DLC.... don't buy it.

It's often a difficult choice for big fans of the relevant game, despite a feeling of being taken advantage of.

The price is set at a point where they feel like they can receive enough sales to justify the creation of the DLC.

How about release it such a low price that almost everybody buys it and recover your costs that way? There's no packaging or shipping considerations. Every sale is pure profit.

I will never believe that they purposely cherry-pick cars that they would put in the game in order to entice people to buy DLC.

Interesting. Why not?

There are a huge amount of desirable cars in the world and cherry-picking specific ones is not needed.

Ah, I see. That explains it.

-----

Although this is a Forza thread, my original comments weren't a snipe specifically at Forza (as you seem to think). Your unwavering loyalty to the brand is cute FGTG. It's been fun but your blinkered view makes reasoned debate very difficult sometimes.

Anyway - I thought I was on your 'ignore' list?

Top Bottom