• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy walks into Digital Extremes, gets lunch, discovers new game Keystone

Nibel

KuGsj.gif

More at the source

Yesterday on Reddit, a poster named UndercoverLegend wrote that he snuck into Digital Extremes’ office, took lunch, and started talking to other employees there, who revealed that the studio is working on a card game called Keystone.

Reddit’s mods have since deleted the story—which I’ve independently confirmed is true—but we’ve got it here:

Keystone is "a FPS with cards (like magic the gathering style perhaps)"

Source (Kotaku)

icmjm6bcucrxfdgu6f.gif

Volotaire

Sometimes, game studios have strict security. Other times, they let random people sneak into their buildings, steal lunch, and find out about unannounced games.

Take, for example, Digital Extremes, the Canada-based company behind Warframe (pictured above). Yesterday on Reddit, a poster named UndercoverLegend wrote that he snuck into Digital Extremes’ office, took lunch, and started talking to other employees there, who revealed that the studio is working on a card game called Keystone.

Reddit’s mods have since deleted the story—which I’ve independently confirmed is true—but we’ve got it here:

More at the link, Jason Schreier

EDIT: lock.

Xater

Yeah this is quite the story. Can he check in again next week to see if the security situation changed?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As soon as I saw the title was Keystone, I somehow knew cards would be involved.

But seriously, how many people work at DE that not a single person realized that this guy no one recognized wasn't an employee?

UbiSoft Montreal had a 'walk-in' policy a few years ago-and people could just go in and see Splinter Cell Conviction before it had a name-

edit:albeit not really a bad thing-this sounds like a bad thing

Massa

Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck Kotaku. When even Reddit has higher standards than you for running a story you know something's wrong.

Xater

As soon as I saw the title was Keystone, I somehow knew cards would be involved.

But seriously, how many people work at DE that not a single person realized that this guy no one recognized wasn't an employee?

Wikipedia says 170 employees. I doubt you know everyone at that size and it's probably not that unusual to see new people getting hired.

If true oh wow that is pretty hilarious. Hope it doesnt make the employees lives too much more annoying with security though.

jeffers

Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck Kotaku. When even Reddit has higher standards than you for running a story you know something's wrong.

really dont get these responses. Why is it so offensive to you? as far as I can see, its their fault for their security policies, and unless there is some trespass sign... *shrugs*

Orayn

Just try to blend in and you'll get into all sorts of places you're not supposed to be, with an amazingly high degree of success.

Burn Notice was right.

Jebusman

Banned
Yeah. I see this happening.

Yup. And now more people are going to be inspired. Great...

Social engineering has existed forever. It's just with the internet around, very few people go the ballsy route of doing it in person anymore.

It's actually pretty simple as well. Just monitoring how people enter and leave work, and a basic knowledge of a company's structure, and you could reasonably bluff your way through it.

Bizazedo

Schreier's Article said:
They just assumed I belonged there and told me about their secret game. at 6pm people started leaving so I just followed them out and the one guy said “See you tomorrow” so I agreed.
Canadians are truly the friendliest.

jschreier

Sometimes GAF is hilarious. Reddit's mods pulled the story because they're not journalists. We ran it because we are.

Pandy

Dunno what the situation is at Digital Extremes, but I know several places (not game studios) that have open cafeteria policies, because it allows the cafeteria to draw customers from neighbouring buildings and bring in a profit (or at least, mitigate losses.)

Xater

I actually had an internship just one floor below Piranha Bytes when they were working on Gothic 2. Of course i saw that. ;)

Mupod

Warframe devs, right?

The hidden problem of being a video game developer in Canada - Canadians will hold the door open for anybody.

Kriken

Seems like it's lunch time for me, where to eat...

Edit: just got back from Valve, said they're working on 3
new hats

Top Bottom